ZipLocal

ZipLocal Employee Reviews

Family Feel but Insecure Work Environment
Multimedia Advertising Consultant (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTAugust 3, 2014
I love the way the office feels like I'm working with my family. We all care about each other however the office doesn't keep us informed about decisions and finances which makes us feel insecure about our jobs. Often they will have random layoffs and several of our good friends, some of whom have worked there 20+ years, are suddenly gone. Its is upsetting and discouraging and that is when everyone starts looking for another job. It creates upset and disruption for weeks on end and is really anti-productive.
It is nice that if we need a bigger pay check all we need to do is work harder, longer and more efficiently to create more sales resulting in more commission.
Pros
family feel, hours are adjustable if needed, benefits available
Cons
unexpected changes, benefits are not great, communication is not good with employees
This is where I learned how to make cold calls and sale
Inside Sales / Advertising (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTJuly 5, 2012
 Responsible for making a minimum of 75 calls a day to business owners, and selling them phone books ads and Bing online directories. This involved new business cold calling and renewal accounts.
 Consistently made sure contracts were always put together correctly--like voice recordings, fax signatures, or by mail--and made sure the business owner was happy with the product they purchased over the phone. I made an effort to retain new accounts and avoiding cancellations by doing everything right the first time around.
 Made sure contracts and paperwork were handled properly for company, management, and clients records.
 Helped business owners design there colored ad layouts for the best results in the phone book. I was responsible for turning in ad layouts to the graphics department. Insides sales was really involved in every aspect of the sale other than customer service.
Pros
benefits, good pay
Cons
no cons
A Great Place To Be! Enjoy What You Do!
Advertising Consultant (Current Employee) –  ProvoJuly 28, 2015
Pros:
Great benefits and work environment! All the employees and management are amazing. Pay is great, bonuses are better, and they are so understanding about outside situations. Paid holidays, no weekends, and frequent work parties! As long as you work hard and do your best they will take care of you. they value good work ethic and will reward that.

Cons:
There is some contention between sales teams, that at times can get messy but when you stick with what your manager says and just act professional it blows over quick. High pressure sometimes too, but what job doesn't have that.

Advice to Management:
Just keep talking to your teams and making sure the door is open for communication! Other than that, the management teams do great.
Pros
Great benefits and work environment!, All the employees and management are amazing, Pay is great bonuses are better, and they are so understanding about outside situations, Paid holidays no weekends and frequent work parties!, As long as you work hard and do your best they will take care of you, they value good work ethic and will reward that.
Cons
There is some contention between sales teams, At times can get messy, Stick with what your manager says and just act professional it blows over quick, High pressure sometimes too but what job doesn't have that
A Good Place to start a career
District Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Boise, IdahoAugust 10, 2011
Ziplocal is a yellowpage/online advertising company that services local communities through out the United States. In recent years due to the down turn in the economy, this industry has become increasingly difficult to earn a living in, however Ziplocal offers great opportunities to people that are not afraid to work hard. They have competitive print directories and a decent line up of digital products to help small to medium sized businesses if they are implemented properly at the client level
Pros
good incentives for people with good work ethic
Cons
lots or prep work
Very Heartless Workers only care about making there money
delivery (Former Employee) –  utahApril 23, 2014
worked delivering phone books for this company and worked 7 days a week and 12 hours a day putting there books at the hinge of each door the company did not provide bags supposeably cause they were on back order never got any and the lady said we would get paid every week when payday came she didnt want to pay company is very cheap and wants all the money for them would suggest finding another job elsewhere
Cons
will rip you off
Great working environment. Great mentors in the business
Inside Sales / Advertising (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTJuly 5, 2012
 Responsible for any custom carpentry jobs that were lined out for me by contractor.
 Because I had my own tools, I was able to meet the contractor at job sites and come up with a fair bid that both of us were happy with.
 Contractor kept me busy with small custom jobs (stairs, bars, arches, niches, walls, doors, etc.)
 Consistently finished jobs on time so I could make more money for both me and the contractor.
Pros
worked independantly for a contractor
Cons
had to find the work too!
Great co-workers
Lead Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTDecember 20, 2012
All employees work very hard and are trained in multiple positions. The pressure to perform is intense and the possibility of positions being eliminated is always present. All co-workers were the best in their field and were kept precisely because they were the best. Hardest part of the job was knowing that the industry was changing in ways that meant that jobs were still going to be lost.
Pros
great insurance benefits
Cons
very little coverage for break and lunch periods
Great work invirment
Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Price, UTApril 9, 2013
All sale Rep work as a team, Was able to get the job done with out a manager there all the time. Learned a lot bout customer service and computers in the 8 years, Hardest days it when you need a manager and they was out of state doing another part of their job. Enjoyed working with all the different customers every day.
Pros
no manager most of the time, great co-workers
Cons
health insurance
good company
Digital Marketing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 17, 2015
They were a good company, they just left jacksonville. In the beginning it was The Community PhoneBook. Then they sold out to a Canadian company. Then They became Ziplocal. They use to be a great company. They pulled out of Jacksonville twice. They closed all the eastern state and hundreds of employees lost their jobs. Then they came back in 2014 and was here about a year and left again. They did honor my 10 years with the company though.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
they left jacksonville twice
Productive job
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTApril 20, 2012
Great place to work, coworkers were friendly, but company made promises they couldn't keep. With the economy on the decline this job may not be secure. There really was no advancement opportunities.
Pros
health insurance, 401k, occasional party, coworkers we friendly
Cons
industry is dying, good chance of a future layoff, building is old and rundown, no windows
Fun and Educational Work Environment
Digital Specialist & Trainer Southeast Region (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 5, 2015
A great company that had underwent aloft of changers and growth that eventually caused itself implosion. Restructuring and closing of offices across the US and layoffs during the recession. Still viable now, just allot smaller in its reach and effectiveness.
Pros
Great Environment at first
Cons
To much growth and acquisition to fast and during the recession.
Great meeting so many people, out of date processes
Media Advertising Consultant (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTOctober 14, 2013
This job was fantastic for getting out in communities and learning about them one small business at a time. The actual processes were seriously outdated (scissors & glue sticks) or confusing (follow-up from corporate for customer ads lead to many questions).
Ziplocal
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTJanuary 5, 2012
I worked as a graphic designer for PDC Pages before Ziplocal bought them out. I truly loved working there. If it wasn't for the buy out and the production department being laid off I would have stayed there. The people were fantastic and it felt like a family.
Pros
environment, co-workers
Cons
company buy-out
productive not funny
Advertising Consultant (MACs) (Former Employee) –  Lake Geneva, WIJuly 9, 2012
5 to 9 work day
•Build valuable, long-term relationships with local businesses
Not that good
just see them in the morning
No team work
•Develop and execute strategic sales and management programs and activities
Pros
nothing
Cons
good benefite
It was a nice place to work until it was sold. It went downhill from there.
Clerical (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTFebruary 13, 2013
I cross trained in several areas so I was always busy. Most of the people were great to work with. I got along with my co-workers.
Pros
fair wages
Cons
downsized
Digital Product Provisioning (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTMay 7, 2015
I really enjoyed working at Ziplocal. I had many great experiences over my 11 years there. Unfortunately a lot of my job duties there became automated and I was laid off.
Good Company
Media Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Medford, ORFebruary 24, 2015
Good company to work for up until they close offices. Closed our office and let everyone go, but they did call back and offer new job.
Amazing!
Multi-Media Advertising Consultant (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAAugust 8, 2014
This was a place where your were highly motivated on a daily basis by management. The support of management and co-workers was fa-nominal!!!
Company is losing steam
Media Advertising Consultant (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDMarch 21, 2012
I joined ZipLocal for nine months. After I left, within four months, three offices closed within our region. Great ideas, poorly implemented.
extensive training
Media Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 25, 2012
This company wants everyone to suceed and focuses on positive ideals for goal setting
Pros
not micro managed