Zoes Kitchen, Inc.

Zoes Kitchen, Inc. Employee Reviews

Where do I start....?
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Cinco Ranch, KatyMay 28, 2013
Zoes promotes a Work/Life Balance that quickly disappears as soon as you're hired. The Managers will change shifts on you quite often, even a few hours before the end of the day. No set schedule,and management plays favorites to choose who gets the most hours or weekends off. I was lied to in the beginning about how much I was going to get paid because I used to run an entire retail chain by myself. When I confronted my management team they told me they never said that they would get me more, and that I was "mistaken". The management team I had above me worked in the food industry for over 15 years (they said) but I later found out they had no clue on how to run a business. I worked 25 miles away, and often showed up to work when I was told to go home because there was a scheduling conflict. Anyone working at the time could have called to let me know. They didn't. I was promised we close at 9pm, and would be out by 9:30pm. Truth is, when you're closing, expect to be there until 11pm to 12. The latest I ever got out was 1am. We had over 5 people quit the first two weeks we opened. This put a strain on running things smoothly. More times than once a week we would have customers get up, get their refund and leave because of an error in the kitchen, error on their order or because their food was too cold. It's fun at first, but after a month it's old.
Pros
free meals
Cons
management, lack of pay, lack of hours, unprofessional attitude from other shift leads
Exciting work environment with friendly customers and customer service
Hostess/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Collegeville, PADecember 16, 2014
A typical day at work would mean various things depending on the shift worked. On days where I worked lunch it would mean coming in a few minutes early to help put together take-home tubs of our side dishes, chicken salad, etc. then handling Primary Register and filling dressing cups. On longer shifts or night shift days, it would mean cleaning as we go, customer relations and services, primary register and serving, then cleaning post-shift. I learned how to work with a team, build customer relations, be a good representation of a company, etc. The management was pretty decent, and my co-workers were lovely and fun to be around. The hardest part was dealing with angry customers, but the most enjoyable part was seeing the product of making a customer happy or solving the issue at hand.
Pros
decent pay, great work relations, friendly customers
Company is great, management here is awful.
Hostess/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GAJanuary 20, 2016
Unless you came over to this restaurant from where our manager previously worked, you're not getting more than ~13 hours a week. You can talk to the manager a million times about something and he will say he'll fix something, but take weeks to actually do it. The only good thing is that when needed, you'd get the time off that you requested...if he remembered to look at the calendar before he made the schedule. I wouldn't tell anyone to work here at all. The cooks were the only reason I enjoyed this job. It's easy work, but it isn't worth the stress of figuring out if you'll be working more than 4 hours a week and figuring out how you're going to pay your bills.
Zoes Kitchen itself is a fantastic company who cares for their employees. But if the management at one of their franchises could care less, it doesn't work out.
Pros
time off usually granted
Cons
management is awful
Fun workplace
Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 1, 2014
I usually worked at nights for only five hours after I had classes. I worked the front with one other person. I made sure food went out correctly and in a timely manner with both take out and for dining in. I counted the deposits and took it to the bank every week. I made sure sanitation procedures were used correctly. I met many regulars who came into the restaurant from them living in the apartment complex above us and in the shopping center where other people worked. After the other employees left at night when finished their closing duties, I finished up mine and locked and closed up the restaurant.
Pros
free lunches, fun place to work
Cons
only health benefits for salaries
Good company with potential
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Tyler, TXSeptember 25, 2015
I was excited to work for Zoes, however after being in the store for about two months, my excitement has dropped a good amount. The job itself is easy and enjoyable. However, when you are not staffed as you should be it becomes stressful and the enjoyment is lost. When management does not take care of staffing, and ordering, and there is a lack of communication it becomes less than ideal.

The company itself seems like it is doing great but there are some issues that need to be taken care before it can truly become great!
Pros
Free Meals
Cons
Scheduling not ideal, many no shows, not staffed fully many shifts
Culture Built on Sharing the Goodness
Area Catering Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 21, 2015
• A typical day included 1 hour of morning prospecting, Game Plan review, tastings, marketing, branding, and store visits
• The most valuable tool I learned was time management
• The hardest part of my job was client retention due to late third party delivery service, and missed catering orders at the store level without a CRM in place
• The most enjoyable part of my job was performing public speaking, tastings, building relationships with media, and connecting with clients
Pros
The people and culture created
Cons
3rd Party Delivery and no CRM in place for catering
Mediterrainian food with a souther twist
line cook/host (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 14, 2015
My favorite part of this job was my co-workers. We all tried pulling our own weight and made it much easier for the next worker. the hardest part of the job was running the shift short handed. We made it work but to often we could have used another worker, but that is were our great teamwork came into play. This was DEF one of my best jobs. Its a wicked shame that a personal issue ruined it because I saw myself working for this company for a VERY long time
Pros
free meals, great staff, great customers
Cons
working 13 hour shifts EVERY Sat and Sun ALWAYS
Great restaurant, lacks competent management
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Chandler AZJuly 17, 2015
Getting too corporate too quickly. When i started it felt like working for family and that they really cared about me. the GM that hired me was promoted and his replacement treats the employees like slaves and expects them to work harder that he does when he make over 50k plus bonuses a year and they make 10/hr or less... also new GM does not care about employees sees them as disposable.
Pros
free food
Cons
management
Laid back workplace
Catering Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 29, 2014
Laid back co-workers and managers. Our location is the busiest so it's stressful during it's peak hours but as long as everyone keeps calm, it's good. I was at least able to better my customer service. Managers may say things vaguely to where you're not sure what you should do or make promises that aren't kept. Best part was how much fun we all have with each other.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
no breaks unless you do a double, no benefits
Life at Zoes
Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Preston and RoyalOctober 1, 2015
Great place to work! The food is delicious and healthy. I really enjoy working with a company that takes care of educating their employees and being able to grow into management.
I love my general manager and my co worker. The kitchen staff is also great, they are really the ones with their hands on the food.
Pros
free food for every shift and flexible schedules
Cons
only advancement after shift leader is manager, not good if your a student.
Great restaurant concept combining food made from scratch with the efficiency of a fast food restaurant.
Assistant Restaurant Manager (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZSeptember 19, 2013
All aspects of restaurant management.
I enjoyed the fast pace of the restaurant while combing full service with meals that take no more than 12 minutes to prepare.
It was fun to order food through different vendors, write schedules, hire and train people.
I love working with people and customer service.
Zoe's Kitchen
Hostess/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 18, 2012
On a typical day I would take peoples orders at the cash register. Or if a customers food was ready I would bring it out to their table. When I was not dealing with customers I would be making sure the restaurant was nice and clean, including the restrooms. I helped refill the dressings and assist making the pita chips.
I really enjoyed working with all of my co-workers and I got along with all of management.
Great company with growing pains.
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant SCMay 2, 2015
There's a lot going for Zoes. Advancement opportunities, good pay, benefits, and more. However with all the growth, focus gets lost at times. Stores that aren't about to open or in the first 6 months of open aren't important anymore.
Pros
Good pay, benefits, lots of opportunities.
Cons
Not enough management per store. You are part of the labor and daily plan. A lot of work.
Awesome workplace with fun team
New Orleans - Shift Leader/Manager (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LADecember 7, 2015
Loved working with Zoes as a franchise and still love it as Corporate. Fun, fast workplace with awesome teams at every location. Hardest part of job as host/cashier is the cleaning (which isn't hard) and hardest part of job as manager is inventory (which is more so tedious).
Pros
free meal with each shift
Cons
not many hours
Productive and Energetic
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 28, 2015
I love working for Zoes Kitchen! It is challenging, productive, high energy and people focused!y I recently opened a new restaurant for the company. It was amazing to create something out of nothing. Within 5 months of being open my food cost is controlled as well as labor. It is rewarding to see the results our hard work has created!
Fun, exciting, high energy!
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 6, 2013
Working for Zoes Kitchen has been great!
The place has a positive vibe, the managers are great!
If you're looking for advancement, if you fit the match consider yourself advanced. My co-workers are dependable, always on time and love their job as well. Being a shift leader has really taught me a lot working for Zoes.
Pros
free lunch
wonderful family life at this wrok place
host/cashier/cook/disher(floater) (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 26, 2015
I love the air here, the people from the cooks to the front house workers and managers are all great just life a big family.
I jog to work everyday smiling, always on time and deliver a personality that is outstanding. reviews are made about me highly to this store.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
no benifits
Great Atmosphere and Fun Place to work
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Katy, TXJuly 7, 2013
Zoe's Kitchen is a great place to start ones career. The company is growing rapidly so the opportunity for advancement is there. The pay scale is low and the benefits are very average. No 401k provided. Great people to work with and work for.
Pros
free employee meals and paid vacations
Cons
healthcare cost and no 401k
Friendly Workplace with opportunities
Front End Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 17, 2014
Zoe's Kitchen is a fast-paced, energetic workplace that really keeps you busy. I worked in the back doing prep work and in the front as a supervisor. I enjoyed learning about the restaurant industry and I love talking to people everyday. The food is delicious and the shifts aren't over-demanding.
fun workplace
Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDApril 13, 2015
On a typical work day you will handle a lot of catering orders prior to the opening lunch rush. The management team here is great. All of my coworkers are very helpful and fun to work with. The hardest part of the day would have to be the occasional unhappy customer.
Pros
free lunches, flexible hours
Cons
health care, no vacation days