Zoo Atlanta Employee Reviews in United States

Zoo atlanta is an amazing place to work
Animal Nutritionist Tech II (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 13, 2016
I love Zoo atlanta. If they paid better i think most workers would stay and live out their days there. I feel like the zoo knows this and tries offering great benefits and incentives. But at the end of the day bill need to be paid
Pros
flexible scheduling, great coworkers
Cons
pay, working out in the elements
Productive and fun place to gain research experience
Volunteer Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 10, 2016
I started out as a volunteer for my professor in assisting her with her research project. Shortly after, I began to enjoy the hands on learning experience and decided to continue helping for course credit as a Directed Study. I did not consider this a job, and I did not get paid for it. I did it solely for the experience, and the knowledge and skills I required exceeded my expectations! I enjoyed working with other students were also asked to participate in the research. The hardest part of the job was not being able to explain in depth what exactly I was doing while surveying and observing visitors. The commute was also difficult to manage with two other jobs and a full course load with school.
An interesting place to work
Bamboo Technician (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 6, 2015
I have enjoyed my time thus far working at Zoo Atlanta. I enjoy the work outside and appreciate that we are able to remove an invasive pest from people yards, while at the same time providing for a highly endangered animals.

However, I feel that the bamboo team has very poor time management skills. I feel that we work very inefficiently and waste much time. It frustrates me that so much time at my job is used inefficiently and that all of my suggestions seem to be ignored. Also, I joined the bamboo team hoping to eventually move to another department. As I have gained experience in this position, I have begun to feel that being a member of the bamboo team will actually be detrimental to my applications to other departments, due to the .
Pros
Benefits, Experience in an AZA acredited organization
Cons
low pay, frustrating work environment
very enjoyable place to work
RECEPTIONIST (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 15, 2016
a typical day at work stated with me assisting my supervisor with various work related responsibilities

I learned that the Zoo is a smelly place lol

my manager was great very supportive
my co workers were pleasant and very helpful we all, worked as a
team

the hardest part was the smell of the animals during walk through

the most enjoyable was meet new people seeing the excitement of the customers
best place I ever worked
intern (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 30, 2016
Pay is average, work/life balance is wonderful, the managers are extremely friendly, benefits are ok, there's plenty of room for advancement unless you couldn't afford to finish college. It's a great place to work and I've honestly never seen better.
fun, productive and easy
Georgia - cashier (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 24, 2016
its pretty fun at work. i get to see many kinds of people come through the zoo. love the diversity among the workers. getting a chance to look at animals during lunch it the best
Typical day
Keeper (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 12, 2015
I work with a great bunch of keepers. We all do our best to better the lives of the animals in our care. I learned time management and how to deal with everyday work stresses. Management tends to be supportive in listening to how to better the animals' days. The hardest part of the job is losing an animal you have worked with for several years, whether from euthansia or shipping to another facility. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with animals and getting to train behaviors, watching them grow, and see their personalities develop.
Fun, unique place to work
Merchandise/ Sales Associate (Gift Shop) (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 4, 2013
In working at Zoo Atlanta I learned customer service, and how to work with a team. The hardest part of my job is dealing with the difficult customers. The most enjoyable part of my job is being in a unique work environment. A typical day at work will consist of assisting the customers with whatever they need, stocking merchandise, and handling the cash register.
Pros
geting experience, working with a team
Cons
no benefits, or room for advancement
Fun workplace with perks
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 30, 2015
The gift shop was where I worked as a sales associate. The typical day includes cleaning store/prepping merchandise for gift shop. Also renting strollers out and being a cashier. The employees and management are nice and make work fun. The Zoo is not crowded during cold months, so fewer hours are available for work.
Curator of Primates (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 11, 2014
This is essentially the same company as the first review. The Curator of Primates was the first exempt position for me and I enjoyed the freedom of being able to put in as many hours as I wanted.
Pros
great benefits, rewarding working with exotic animals, supportive
Cons
relatively low payscale.
Great cmpany (non-profit) to work for.
Manager-Customer Care (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 18, 2015
I found Zoo Atlanta to be an excellent employer to work with. Excellent staff, excellent management. Good team spirit. Unfortunately they are severely affected by the
economic recession that has occurred and had to downsize heir staff.
Pros
Good working team spirit. Your opinion counts
AZA Member Zoo
Education Specialist and Petting Zoo Lead (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 21, 2013
Poor pay and benefits and little flexibility and growth opportunities.

Good zoo for those interested in research and animal training practices.
Too much work, too little management support
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 14, 2012
As with many non-profits, you don't work here for the pay or the hours. You work at Zoo Atlanta because you believe in the mission that they are trying to fulfill - the advancement of conservation education.

Sadly, the morale at this non-profit is dismal. Employees are overworked - having the responsibilities of 2 or 3 people. Co-workers are incredible people, but most are exhausted and unhappy. Management is unorganized, insensitive, and unsupportive.

Since leaving this job, I am a happier and healthier person. While the work was fulfilling, the environment wasn't healthy or constructive. Its unfortunate because it could be a great company to work for, but it just isn't.
Pros
work with animals, great co-workers
Cons
terrible morale, terrible management practices, lack of respect for employees
Enjoy helping with Zoo animals and Guests, Great environment to work in
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 13, 2014
Zoo Ambassador: Offer guests an outstanding Zoo experience; greet guests with a cheerful and helpful attitude, offer tips on how best to explore the Zoo, and answer guest questions; providing a lively, educational and engaging experience to Zoo guests
Animal Nutrition Kitchen: prepared food for animal diets and feeding
Giraffe Assistant: Encourage guests of all ages to participate in this unique animal experience; enhance guest experience by helping the Giraffe Guides with line management, flow of guest traffic, and/or cutting browse
Administrative Assistant: assist with data entry, mailings, making copies, and other administrative duties as assigned
Enrichment Team: Assist with projects designed to stimulate thinking and behaviors in Zoo animals; using household items create enriching items for zoo animals
Events: help welcoming guests, helping with event setup and breakdown, and running special stations (crafts, activities, etc) during events
Pros
being around wild animals
Cons
can get very hot working in the georgia sun
Amazing place
Admission manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 17, 2015
To enhance zoo guest satisfaction by maintaining positive relations with visitors and to gather important guest relations and marketing data. Responsible for the day-to-day activity of the admissions and rides department. Assist staff/volunteers and work closely with the admissions rides Management Team.
A fun and engaging workplace
Education Instructor (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 12, 2014
I genuinely enjoy coming into work for Zoo Atlanta. I really believe in what we are doing as a Zoo and the work environment is very friendly and engaging. Most of my co-workers are fun, like-minded people and I get along with just about everyone. The only hiccup with the job is that most positions don't pay too well but I guess its hard finding a job that you love and pays you well too. I find that most wages are enough to get you by somewhat comfortably but its usually not enough to by many non-essentials. Other than that working at Zoo Atlanta has been one of the best experiences of my life and I recommend it to any outgoing animal lover
Great job
Seasonal Cashier (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 15, 2015
zoo was a great place to work and visit. If was more that work it was like being with family. JUst really a great place to work.
Great internship experience
Program Animals Intern (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 17, 2014
A typical day consisted of the daily care of small reptiles and mammals; checking health, cleaning enclosures, and participating in feedings. I also assisted with the education shows and was taught how to correctly handle the animals.

The most enjoyable part of this job was being around all kinds of animals each day, learning interesting facts about each one, and getting to share that knowledge with visitors.
This is one of my favorite workplace
Food Prep (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 6, 2013
Very had a bad typical day at work. I LEARNED A LOT WORKING HERE. Food prep, cutting meat, cook and ALL. Great co worker and management. I worked all over Zoo Atlanta in every food stand they had I loved the job.
Pros
10% off food and drinks were free
Cons
it was always busy so everybody was able to take short breaks
Very laid-back workplace
Lead Guest Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 26, 2014
The culture was just a little too laid-back for me. It is fun being around the animals every day though and I learned a lot from working here!

4.2