Zoo Atlanta Employee Reviews

It was fine working there
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 4, 2017
My typical day at work was fine. What I've learned is how to deal with customers and my coworkers. I've also learned how a business works. The management was fine. The hardest part of the job was dealing with customers that wasn't nice or pleasant. The most enjoyable part of the job was to successfully help a customer.
Awful
Admissions (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 13, 2017
I hated every minute of working here. I only gave it one star because I had to. Management laughs and jokes all day when you need help. Not minority friendly if looking to advance.
Pros
Free admission to aquarium
Cons
Short breaks, food still overpriced with discount, self taught everything
Great place
Public Events Intern (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 20, 2017
- Learned a lot about event production and what it takes to execute an event

- Learned great communication mediums and tactics to successfully produce an event

- Hospitality is key when working with people
Pros
Staff
i didnt like it
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 2, 2017
i basically taught myself everything i knew . i really dodnt like it. it was fast paste and youngot yelled at for not understamding what to do
fun place to work
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 8, 2016
enjoyed working for the zoo and meeting new people. Learned how to perform customer service on a daily basis which was enjoyable
fun, productive and easy
Georgia - cashier (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 24, 2016
its pretty fun at work. i get to see many kinds of people come through the zoo. love the diversity among the workers. getting a chance to look at animals during lunch it the best
Productive and fun place to gain research experience
Volunteer Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 10, 2016
I started out as a volunteer for my professor in assisting her with her research project. Shortly after, I began to enjoy the hands on learning experience and decided to continue helping for course credit as a Directed Study. I did not consider this a job, and I did not get paid for it. I did it solely for the experience, and the knowledge and skills I required exceeded my expectations! I enjoyed working with other students were also asked to participate in the research. The hardest part of the job was not being able to explain in depth what exactly I was doing while surveying and observing visitors. The commute was also difficult to manage with two other jobs and a full course load with school.
best place I ever worked
intern (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 30, 2016
Pay is average, work/life balance is wonderful, the managers are extremely friendly, benefits are ok, there's plenty of room for advancement unless you couldn't afford to finish college. It's a great place to work and I've honestly never seen better.
very enjoyable place to work
RECEPTIONIST (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 15, 2016
a typical day at work stated with me assisting my supervisor with various work related responsibilities

I learned that the Zoo is a smelly place lol

my manager was great very supportive
my co workers were pleasant and very helpful we all, worked as a
team

the hardest part was the smell of the animals during walk through

the most enjoyable was meet new people seeing the excitement of the customers
Zoo atlanta is an amazing place to work
Animal Nutritionist Tech II (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 13, 2016
I love Zoo atlanta. If they paid better i think most workers would stay and live out their days there. I feel like the zoo knows this and tries offering great benefits and incentives. But at the end of the day bill need to be paid
Pros
flexible scheduling, great coworkers
Cons
pay, working out in the elements
Fun workplace with perks
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 30, 2015
The gift shop was where I worked as a sales associate. The typical day includes cleaning store/prepping merchandise for gift shop. Also renting strollers out and being a cashier. The employees and management are nice and make work fun. The Zoo is not crowded during cold months, so fewer hours are available for work.
Typical day
Keeper (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 12, 2015
I work with a great bunch of keepers. We all do our best to better the lives of the animals in our care. I learned time management and how to deal with everyday work stresses. Management tends to be supportive in listening to how to better the animals' days. The hardest part of the job is losing an animal you have worked with for several years, whether from euthansia or shipping to another facility. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with animals and getting to train behaviors, watching them grow, and see their personalities develop.
Great cmpany (non-profit) to work for.
Manager-Customer Care (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 18, 2015
I found Zoo Atlanta to be an excellent employer to work with. Excellent staff, excellent management. Good team spirit. Unfortunately they are severely affected by the
economic recession that has occurred and had to downsize heir staff.
Pros
Good working team spirit. Your opinion counts
Great job
Seasonal Cashier (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 15, 2015
zoo was a great place to work and visit. If was more that work it was like being with family. JUst really a great place to work.
An interesting place to work
Bamboo Technician (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 6, 2015
I have enjoyed my time thus far working at Zoo Atlanta. I enjoy the work outside and appreciate that we are able to remove an invasive pest from people yards, while at the same time providing for a highly endangered animals.

However, I feel that the bamboo team has very poor time management skills. I feel that we work very inefficiently and waste much time. It frustrates me that so much time at my job is used inefficiently and that all of my suggestions seem to be ignored. Also, I joined the bamboo team hoping to eventually move to another department. As I have gained experience in this position, I have begun to feel that being a member of the bamboo team will actually be detrimental to my applications to other departments, due to the .
Pros
Benefits, Experience in an AZA acredited organization
Cons
low pay, frustrating work environment
Amazing place
Admission manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 17, 2015
To enhance zoo guest satisfaction by maintaining positive relations with visitors and to gather important guest relations and marketing data. Responsible for the day-to-day activity of the admissions and rides department. Assist staff/volunteers and work closely with the admissions rides Management Team.
Fun Place to work...The animals are soothing
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Norcross, GAJanuary 5, 2015
Overall Zoo Atlanta is a cool place to work, perfect for an animal lover. The zookeepers and handlers are nice. Unless you work with the animals this is not a place that offers advancement. The front end (gates and admissions) manager is controlling and demeaning. All other employees are pretty pleasant.
Great internship experience
Program Animals Intern (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 17, 2014
A typical day consisted of the daily care of small reptiles and mammals; checking health, cleaning enclosures, and participating in feedings. I also assisted with the education shows and was taught how to correctly handle the animals.

The most enjoyable part of this job was being around all kinds of animals each day, learning interesting facts about each one, and getting to share that knowledge with visitors.
Fun place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 15, 2014
Worked in gift shop. Fun place to work. Enjoyed seeing and working with animals.
Fun
Customer service (Former Employee) –  AtlantaSeptember 11, 2014
I loved being around the animals and loved my co workers and the atmosphere was amazing.