Zumiez Employee Reviews

An up-to-date sales environment that makes work fun
Lead Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 27, 2016
The overall day of work at Zumiez is fun and fairly easy to handle. We are required to reach a certain sales goal per day while not just selling the most expensive item in the room but the more items. We are also required to ship online shoppers their purchased items if our store has the items they require.

Overall I learned how to approach and communicate with tourists from all over the world with many different life styles and needs. The hardest part about my job was simply not getting enough hours. The most enjoyable part of the job for me is playing my own music for my customers. It allows me to bond with them more!
Pros
discounts on clothing
Cons
limited hours
Success and fun are all dependent on your DM
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAAugust 15, 2016
I worked there for almost 2 years. I started as a seasonal employee and moved to a Store Manager in almost 6 months. That won't usually happen without certain circumstances dependent on the store you are in. I loved working there. If you know how to communicate verbally with people you don't know, you will fit right in. The pay is good for anything above a sales associate but even at minimum wage, their commission structure is pretty solid to where you can make almost $3+ on top of your hourly pay (if you are a good sales kid.)
Pros
Laid back, listen to your own music, super easy
Cons
Standing 8 plus hours a day, workload:hours given is always way off
I wouldnt recommend anyone to work at this location if they have strong work ethics and morals.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Auburn Hills, MIAugust 12, 2016
I was very displeased with the lack of communication, lack of problem-solving, lack of team effort, lack of management support, and lack of handling internal theft. These are just a few of many things this location lacked in and could use a ton of improvement to strengthen store profits/customer service/store management.

My time there was short because I was not moving up as promised after my efforts were displayed and performance was shown.

As this seems that there were more struggles than strengths, the best thing I am taking from this place are the lessons.
Pros
discounts
Cons
internal theft (no concerns to execute problem); management: unprofessional;
Not a place for carrier
Manager (Former Employee) –  Federal Way, WAJuly 23, 2016
If you sell 100K they will give you a big box full of free stuff worth 300$ But most of the time your own manager will still your sells true but sad.
Your manager will most likely flirt with the young girls they will hire if your manager is a Male.
the money you will make which is nothing, most likely you'll spend it on their clothing and the discount is so bad...
No matter how hard you try someone will always try to still your sell.

I was a manager and I focused on having a good and clean place to work at but sadly I walked out after my manager to talk me and was more please with another worker rather than me even though I had very selling score and worked very hard on the store care.
Pros
nothing
Cons
bad management, bad leaders
Im sure i wouldve loved it if it were a different store!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDJuly 10, 2016
I really liked working for Zumiez because it allowed me to bring my passion to work! (skateboarding) I had so much fun at work and it almost didnt even feel like work at all. The only problems i had were that the mall i worked at was going out of business so we had very, very few customers. At a bigger Zumiez; Wheaton for example they are supposed to make around 7k a day, at my Zumiez we were supposed to make 1k and even that was rare. Alot of the time we would just be relaxing because there was no one in the store and we had already fixed the display six or seven times. On top of that i didnt have as much time with the company as i had hoped for because school and sports became to over whelming in my senior year.
Pros
Discounts on boards, and apperel
Cons
Very boring because we had little business
associate
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 7, 2016
Provides customer service utilizing suggestive selling techniques and kind, genial, helpful assistance.
§ Organizing displays, maintaining store cleanliness, and assisting in loss prevention.
§ Approach browsing customers and initiate conversations to determine buying preferences.
§ Inquire about buying experience, item preferences, and future purchases.
I used to love this Job
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMay 19, 2016
the culture of this job is what it used to be, at all. It used to be laid back and fun, now you literally are pushed to teach your employees to almost harass customers so sales goals are reached, while that is an essential part of retail there is a way to it without harassing customers
Pros
retreats, education, used to be a fun environment
Cons
it is a very over the top pushy sales environment that makes people feel uncomfortable
Very laid back, great leaders and Co-Workers
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXAugust 2, 2016
This is my second job, first job in retail and I couldn't be any more pleased with it. A start at ZUMIEZ every day was just like a normal thing, go in talk to the managers & find out what the goals are for the day and such. I see a lot of people complain about hours & pay, I started off with my first day only working two hours and not working for two weeks straight. I was disappointed and thought I was going to quit and look for a job with more hours, the second day was much like the first and I was denied hours due to lack of hustle. My third day I put in the work needed and beat my sales goal by a long shot and the next weeks schedule came and I was working more than I did within the span of 4 weeks in one week. This job requires hustle and passion, that's what I did and now I'm looking at double digit hours every week.
Pros
Discounts, Good management team, great environment, play your own music
Great work experience
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Downey, CAAugust 4, 2016
In the time lapse with me working for zumiez I have learned a lot about customer service, cleanliness, and preciseness. The employees worked as a team and treated each others as family members. My employers were understanding and humane, which gave our work environment a domestic vibe.
Very sales orriented place to work
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJune 22, 2016
A great place to learn and grow. Although over the past few years it has changed in directions. although i have enjoyed working for the company for years, i am looking for a company with a different atmosphere.
Pros
discount, perks of the job.
Cons
short breaks/ no breaks, hardcore sales pressure, employee treatment
First Job
Anchorage, Ak- Sales Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJune 25, 2016
ZUMIEZ!! I would say this was an all time favorite job. The crew was laid back and great at training there new employees. The job required just typical customer service by greeting the customers, finding there wants and needs, organizing the store, cleaning, and folding. It is a great job!
Pros
everything
Great experience overall.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Escondido, CASeptember 22, 2016
Had a fantastic work experience at Zumiez. The people I worked with were amazing friends and still are. I have always wanted to work at a skate shop since I was a kid and fufilling that was a dream come true. Was a great beginning job but now I want more.
Pros
People
Cons
Hours
Very Fun and Positive Environment to work for!
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXJune 9, 2016
I loved working with Zumiez and the environment of the store and company in all aspects! It was a great place with many like minded people such as myself who love skate and extreme sports as well as enjoying the creative art and design behind our clothes and shoes!
Fun environment
2nd Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Hanover, MDApril 28, 2016
Really energetic and fun place to work. Great way to build confidence and will get you out of your comfort zone. Co-workers were great and fun to be around. Trying to make daily quotas is really the only stressful task that would be the "hardest" part of the job, but that is it.
Pros
Discounts on clothing, commission and hourly base pay, get to play your own music
Driven but welcoming environment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 7, 2016
The culture and lifestyle of the company suited me well. My co-workers were driven and likeminded. The compensation and overall trajectory was unfortunately inadequate for me.
Pros
Plugged into the skate/surf/snow community
Cons
low pay and poor management
Energetic, fun, perfect work place
Sales (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDJune 26, 2016
I loved my time at Zumiez! Unfortunately, it didn't work out as I was not getting enough hours. I met so many people, overcame many fears and anxieties, and I learned a lot of valuable life lessons while working at Zumiez!
Pros
People, rewards, advancement
Cons
The people, the hours, the pay
Fun yet Annoying
Second Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Douglasville, GAApril 22, 2016
Everyone is around the same age range so people tend to find a lot of common, but it also leads to a lot of drama. The pay is low, but it is super easy to advance but even more unstable. Definitely don't recommend as a first job. There are cool events to attend if you're into meeting people within your district. Management is very inconsistent.
Productive Work
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tigard, ORJune 25, 2016
Zumiez is fun to work at and it is very lay back. Working there was fun for me and I learned a lot about great customer service and working in a fast paced environment. The other employees are very funny and easy to get along with as well as the manager.
amazing company to work for!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYMay 19, 2016
Management and co-workers are the best I've ever had, the company itself is just absolutely amazing. They make sure you form a bond with each customer that comes into to give them the full zumiez experience, theres a ton of regulars and the environment is wonderful.
Pros
commission
Really fun, not paid well at first
Second Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INJuly 23, 2016
Best place I've ever worked but the compensation is very stiff until you climb the ladder. The environment is fast paced and engaging. But in store you better sell hard if you want to make more than minimum wage