Zurich North America Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
Old school culture
AVP (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILSeptember 12, 2017
Lacks investment in mission-critical information systems, temporary band-aids is the norm, slow decision-making, low employee morale. On the positive side, nice physical environment, modern technologies available at head office as well as regional and branch offices. Consistent office feel throughout the country.
Relaxed Environement
Underwriting Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 11, 2017
When I was working at Zurich I still was operating my business. My business was doing than what I was being paid at Zurich. It was costing me a lot to get to work and was a 2 1/2 hour commute to and from work. Ultimately I was paying to much out of my business to other people and not making enough money at Zurich so I decided to go back to my business.
Benefits
Cons
Far commute, poor management, not my desired career field
Lots of great people but changes have affected the cultural environment
Claims Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 11, 2017
Given that I have worked for for the company for a while I can attest to the many changes that have taken place over the years some good some bad. Overall, I learned a lot being there. There are a lot of great people who work there that make the job great. However, there are some organizational challenges that made the job difficult.
Pros
Great Benefits and employee engagement programs
Cons
Departments are not encouraged to be collaborative
Professional environment
Medical Claims Specialist (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COSeptember 7, 2017
Business casual dress code. Weekly report card of your weekly work progress. Inbound call center. Had to have knowledge of working with online faxes, emails as well as receiving and sending physical faxes. It was a business environment with constant competition to become specialized in a specific area of the insurance company to have them pay for you to become licensed and then promoted. Limited number of positions hence the competition.
Pros
Learned a lot from management and coworkers on the industry
Cons
Took a long time to advance within the company.
Good starter job at best
Underwriting Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CA 94105September 7, 2017
The underwriting assistants are burdened with far too many menial tasks. The job is very checklist driven. No job growth opportunities for advancement.
Pros
Every day is a jeans day
Cons
stingy medical and dental benefits
Nothing out of the ordinary
Sr. Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 7, 2017
Good place to work. A very large global company. Solid financial standing. As with any insurance company, there is always pressure to write new business. The market place can be very competitive.
too much change
Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IlSeptember 4, 2017
workplace culture is constantly changing, management manage upward, little communication with employees, good community service that is required, employees fear job security.
Pros
community activity
Cons
constant change
Unstable Work Environment
Regulatory Services Analyst (Current Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILSeptember 4, 2017
This company has been very unstable for the past few years with massive layoffs multiple times per year. Plus there really isn't much chance of job advancement unless you have connections with upper management. I would not recommend that anyone work here. It is a very stressful work environment.
Left because of stress level
Policy Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Maitland, FLSeptember 4, 2017
In 2004, I was hired with Zurich. Typical days were hectic, and lots of work. I was assigned to an Underwriter and Underwriting Technician. The work would come in faster than I or the rating systems would allow me to process. I was very stressed out, and that was my reason for departure.
Pros
I was employed
Cons
Stress, Archaic Systems, Manual Processes
Company that has been reducing it's workforce like others in recent years. Fair compensation and benefits
Paralegal (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CASeptember 3, 2017
Zurich has good benefits and has a pension plan funded by the company separate from the 401k. The company has been undergoing major worker reductions in the past several years and remaining employees are being asked to work harder and harder to achieve goals.
Good, professional workers
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILSeptember 1, 2017
Good, professional workplace culture. Tries to keep employees engaged and involved by listening to employee suggestions on how to make the company better.
okay experience
Employee (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 30, 2017
not much to report as this was a while ago and division was closed where the jobs were shifted elsewhere. Overall experience was fine. Work life balance was fine.
A very good work place.
Builders Risk Property Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COAugust 28, 2017
Builders risk is a great coverage to handle, I really enjoyed work in the contractors that we insured. This coverage included loss of building materials through theft and vandalism to building projests and equipment.
Pros
Great culture, great insureds to work with.
Cons
It could get pretty busy at times.
Great Team
Data Science Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 25, 2017
My supervisor has a great mindset and vision. Company environment was really nice. Coworkers are all very friendly and willing to help. Workshops are helpful.
Pros
Office
Cons
Stress
Okay but stressful
Unerwriting Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 25, 2017
Zurich could be an awesome place to work but it is super stressful, some managers micro manage and are negative, and there is constantly more and more work shuffled down to lower level employees without a pay increase.
Pros
Money and PTO
Cons
stressful. advancement opportunities only available for those deemed worthy.
Excellent work place
Web Sphere System Administrator (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILAugust 21, 2017
Large environment, people are different ethinicity, friendly environment, management are excellent, nice place to learn, good thing the location was my home town.
Worked here two years I worked very hard just to be laid off
Claims Assistant (Former Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CAAugust 20, 2017
Manager had favorites hence why i was chosen to be ler go. Work ethic was not appreciated and management were very unprofessional. The manager was rude and did not care about all employees.
Benefits
Cons
Bad Management
Good salary and benefits, poor management
Marketing (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILAugust 16, 2017
Salaries and benefits are good, but overall management is not competent and there is a lot of "dead wood" corporate hack type of employees who are incompetent and have been there too long. No opportunities for advancement and layoffs are pending.
Good People
Administrative Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEAugust 14, 2017
Zurich is full of good people who love what they do. It is a tight night family environment and a good place to work. The employees really care about each other
Claim Specialist
Claims Processing Technician (2003) (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILAugust 14, 2017
My job was at Zurich was temp to permanent. I started in Zurich as temp for filing and than work on special projects. Develop some skills in Microsoft office.
Pros
Lunch Breaks
Cons
Health Care

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Zurich North America. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval