Controller Job Description
miVIP Surgery Centers and affiliated medical clinics are leaders in minimally invasive surgery on an outpatient basis. Our leadership team and staff focus on meeting patients’ needs for innovative, high quality, and cost effective surgical procedures. miVIP Surgery Centers are the first free-standing outpatient facilities in the world to introduce the daVinci SI Surgical Robotic System for minimally invasive same day surgery. Our exceptional patient care includes world-class surgeons, supported by highly trained nurses and technical staff experienced in robotic surgery.
The Controller is responsible for all areas relating to accounting and financial reporting. This position will be responsible for developing and maintaining accounting principles, practices and procedures to ensure accurate and timely financial statements and other financial, planning or analysis reports. The Controller supervises 2-3 staff and is responsible for managing the team to ensure that work is properly allocated and completed in a timely and accurate manner. This position addresses tight deadlines and all accounting activities including general ledger preparation and financial reporting. Candidate must possess a strong understanding of cash, accrual and tax basis accounting in a multi-location and multi-company medical clinic and outpatient surgery center environment. This position is a prime mover for work-flow improvements and process changes and the position is highly visible and part of senior management. This is a “hands on” position that requires both the ability to work through detailed accounting and also interface with management.
Responsibilities & Duties
Obtain and maintain a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure.
- Ensure accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and year-end close within established deadlines.
- Ensure the timely reporting of all monthly financial information.
- Prepare and maintain budgets; perform financial planning and analysis.
- Assist senior management in daily banking requirements and cash management.
- Monitor and analyze department workflow to develop more efficient procedures and use of resources while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
- Advise staff regarding the handling of non-routine reporting transactions.
- Respond to inquiries from senior management regarding financial results, special reporting requests, and special projects.
- Work with senior management to ensure a clean and timely year-end audit.
- Prepare general journal entries through preparation of financial statements
- Develop solid internal control procedures to safeguard company assets.
- Work with department heads to develop efficient and effective information flow.
- Train new and existing staff as needed; establish goals and objectives for each year and monitor and provide feedback on the progress to enhance their professional development.
- Handle personnel issues relating to staff conflicts, absenteeism and performance issues.
Education -- BS degree in accounting, and CPA.
Technical Skills, Prior Experience, and Attributes – 7-10 years prior supervisory experience in financial reporting and maintaining general ledger; experience in healthcare/delivery of medical services – preferably multi-location/multi-entity medical practices, clinics, or surgery centers.
- Familiarity with medical insurance billing/collecting operating environment -- Controller will not run/manage those functions, but will work closely with managers and staff of those functions.
- Hands -on experience designing, installing, and managing all functions of an accounting department -- A/P, A/R,P/R, G/L, timely month-end close, account reconciliations, financial statement preparation for individual entities and consolidation; Controller will lead 2-3 staff and work with the detail too.
- Experience with financial planning/analysis and budgeting -- understanding and appreciation for designing and publishing daily/weekly dashboards of key operating and financial data for navigation/diagnostic purposes.
- PC proficient and able to thrive in a fast -pace setting. Experience with accounting systems. Must have strong experience with Microsoft Excel and Word.
- Strong communication skills, with excellent follow up on pending initiatives.
- Strong interpersonal, supervisory and customer service skills required.
- Ability to multi-task, work under pressure and meet deadlines required.
- Team player with great management skills.
- Self-starter willing to learn all systems and perform any and all tasks necessary.
- Detail-oriented, analytical, and can understand the big picture.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial, and changing environment.
- Ability to grow with the job and take on more financial leadership responsibility
Controller, CFO, Accountant, CPA
Indeed - 16 months ago