Job Title: Plant Operator
Reports To: Chief Operating Officer
Location: Cleveland, OH
Salary: $12 - $14 per hour
Classification: Hourly, non-exempt
The Plant Operator is responsible for daily operation and oversight of the anaerobic digesters. The Plant Operator is the key point of contact for all biomass deliveries and public tours and is therefore responsible for maintaining quasar’s reputation with customers and the community at all times.
- Monitor the operation of anaerobic digester plant’s pumps, motors and other equipment; read gauges, dials and other instrumentation; maintain and update accurate logs of plant operations.
- Will interact regularly with delivery truck drivers and facilitate public tours as needed.
- Forward delivery manifests via email to Accounting Department for processing.
- Maintain logs of instrument readings, test results, and shift production, and send production information to corporate office for review.
- Sets or adjusts machine controls to regulate conditions such as material flow, temperature, and pressure.
- Examine samples visually or by hand to verify qualities such as clarity, cleanliness, consistency, dryness, and texture.
- Collect various digester samples for laboratory tests; perform some laboratory analysis such as chlorine residuals, suspended solids, volatile solids, volatile acid, alkalinity, carbon dioxides, BOD, pH and temperature.
- Perform control tests to determine if plant is operating correctly and effectively; make necessary adjustments to maintain biological balances and flow requirements; adjust treatment plant equipment to obtain maximum efficiency and treatment results with the recommendations of supervision (lab and engineering).
- Inspect and clean machines and equipment for hazards, operating efficiency, malfunctions, wear, and leaks. Perform oil changes on generator.
- Inspect plant equipment and facilities to locate needed repairs; perform general plant maintenance and routine repairs as needed.
- Prepare daily data sheet; compile other reports; input data into computer system.
- Maintain all treatment facility buildings and grounds, responsible for keeping the site clean and organized at all times, participate in snow removal as required. Monitor alarms and assist in corrective action.
- May be required to work irregular shifts.
- Participate in the training and supervision of other staff.
- Perform other related duties and responsibilities as required.
Required Physical and Environmental Demands:
- This is a physical job, requiring significant stamina and mobility to work with and around motorized equipment. Must be able to lift, stand, sit, walk, bend, reach, grasp, climb, push/pull, and work at heights up to 40 feet and in confined spaces. May be required to move up to 80 pounds on occasion.
- Will need to have visual acuity, good hearing activity, and ability to communicate clearly and quickly in person and via telephone. Must be able to respond quickly to signals to avoid injury or equipment leaks.
- Required to work with a computer; must have vision to read printed materials and a VDT screen
- Must be aware of and follow all safety procedures and OSHA requirements.
- Must wear company-provided uniforms and safety gear. May be exposed to waste water treatment sludge and/or effluent.
- Will be exposed to outdoor weather conditions during course of work activities, including heat, snow, and inclement weather.
- Must be able to be on call in case of plant emergencies or incidents.
- Must be willing to work overtime, shift work, weekends, flexible hours and holidays.
Education, Experience and Skills Required:
- High school diploma or GED required.
- Must have valid driver’s license.
- Must be able to pass the Respiratory Fit Test and the associated physical examination.
- Previous experience in fork lift operation preferred, but not required.
- Previous agricultural experience preferred, but not required.
- Must be able to learn standard principles of biology, chemistry, and mathematics.
- Must have high mechanical aptitude and experience working with machines and reading gauges, dials, and indicators.
- Must have self-control and integrity. Must be dedicated and highly motivated.
- Must be able to make decisions, solve problems, and be able to calmly handle stressful situations.
- Must be detail-oriented.
- Must have experience working with computers and able to operate a scanner and email.
Indeed - 2 years ago
copy to clipboard