The Director of Merchandise Management provides vision and direction to marketing and buying teams with profit and loss responsibility. This position is responsible for successful vendor relationship management to achieve company budget and performance expectations. The DMM will have both regional and national focus, and will work in partnership with Corporate Merchandising Management to support ASC growth and success initiatives.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Lead marketing and buying teams to successful attainment of regional/national business objectives through effective use of resources.
- Work in close partnership with the SVP, Merchandising Management (Corporate), the ASC-West Controller and other key management members to develop integrated financial and operating plans and associated performance metrics, e.g., annual budgets, strategic initiatives.
- Set inventory levels by vendor/item to achieve established company goals of 97%+ Food/95% Supplies. (Manage inventory dollars needed for proper fill rate. Manage all inventory obsolescence.)
- Coordinate with ASC Sales efforts to drive vendor and company sales goals.
- Manage all aspects of vendor relationships, including contracting and pricing, billing and purchasing functions, inventory planning, promotions support and brand development.
- Initiate goal setting and business planning review with key vendors.
- Work closely with Sales to identify focus products and promotional opportunities; jointly plan promotions with coordinated sales and inventory forecasting and timing.
- Manage promotional dollars to achieve ASC budget goals.
- Direct and advise Marketing Manager and team to create unique marketing efforts for ASC and our vendors and develop best-in-class marketing vehicles for ASC via digital marketing and print format.
- Lead company involvement in appropriate events/trade show activities.
- Actively foster employee growth through training, performance evaluation, mentoring and coaching.
- Adhere to corporate standards relating to team management, conflicts of interest, vendor and business partner communication, and interactions with peers and superiors.
This is not intended to be an all-inclusive list; other duties may be required. These duties and responsibilities are subject to change at any time.
- Robust understanding of pet industry and product offerings with strong vendor connections
- High integrity, ability to operate at a strategic level, both internally and with vendors
- Growth oriented, forward thinking and creative
- Demonstrated interpersonal capability with all constituent levels, both internal and external to the organization
- Excellent communication skills on multiple platforms, including presentation skills for small and arge groups (in person and virtual)
- Ability to work effectively under time pressure while striving for excellence
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and expectations effectively and appropriately
- Ability and willingness to move with purpose and a strong sense of urgency
- Ability and willingness to learn new skills and take on new areas of responsibility
- Ability to apply technology to solve problems, analyze data and improve processes
- Proven experience motivating, developing and promoting employees
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline required, Master’s preferred
- Inventory pricing/demand planning experience with a complex distributor of a broad range of high-volume, high-turn consumables and/or hard goods required
- 8-10 years related experience with proven successful track record
- Computer literate, proficiency with MS Office tools (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook)
- AS 400 experience desired
ABOUT ANIMAL SUPPLY CO.
With corporate headquarters in Irving, Texas, Animal Supply is the nation’s trusted pet food and supplies distributor. ASC-West, and partners Lone Star Pet Supply, Summit Pet Products, Wholesome Pet Distributors and RFG Distributing, collectively operate nineteen strategically-located distribution centers with more than 1,000,000 square feet of total space, and provide weekly service to more than 9,000 customers throughout the United States.
Our advanced distribution technology allows for superior inventory control, offers retailers access to more than 15,000 SKUs from more than 300 product manufacturers, and ensures timely and accurate order fulfillment. We consistently provide retailers with dependable delivery, excellent fill rates, high order accuracy and the freshest possible products.
Our regionally-based organizational model offers pet specialty retailers and manufacturers:
- Unmatched value-added services
- Competitive pricing, stronger negotiating power
- Wide breadth of products and geographic reach
- Best operational practices across all platforms
- Engaged employees who are dedicated to enhanced customer experiences
Our goal is to be the best and most value-added distribution partner in the industry.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit cover letter and resume to the e-mail provided. We will schedule interviews with the most qualified applicants.
Animal Supply Co. - Celebrating 26+ Years of Delivering Success!
Visit Animal Supply Co. online at: www.animalsupply.com