1st National Career Center Scam!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (36)

WhiteLotus in Bronx, New York

18 months ago

I went to an "interview" after I was called, let me say I was in for a shock! When I arrived it looks like a fake office and theres a waiting room. After they call you they tell you they need a deposit for a CPR class, at first glance I'm like ok CPR class for a security job seems reasonable. The 80 dollars they ask for is for a DEPOSIT for a 200 dollar class. Who in their right mind charges 200 dollar for a CPR class when the american red cross charges 125?! Not only that but they don't guarantee you'll work after your "certification." Furthermore they have a no refund policy only if you go back within 7 days and haven't taken any classes.

They rush you to leave once you "leave" your deposit, the guy didn't even tell me what to do for the CPR class he just said thank you come on Thursday. No interview questions, no asking for past experience, just asking everyone for money for a job they probably cannot get you. I literally saw the "HR Dept" calling other people telling them to come in for an interview and that "you will only pay when you are hired" LIES! I haven't been hired but I gave my deposit, I am going back tomorrow after I found out the truth about this company. Stay away, very far away!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (56) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

educatedconsumer in NEW YORK, New York

17 months ago

WhiteLotus in Bronx, New York said: I'm not going to continue entertaining this joke of a company. Compare notes to what the "training" that takes 6-8 weeks? I think I've made my point when 26 people have found my original posting helpful. Lotus out.

FYI "educatedconsumer" take a course on how to properly write in English.

IT'S A SHAME YOU QUIT THE PROCESS BEFORE YOU STARTED

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

A Concerned consumer in Brooklyn, New York

17 months ago

I myself went in for their interview and was asked to leave a $100 deposit for a security class. After that came the good part the balance would be $388 for the 8 hour, 16 hour, and fire guard training.. Now after giving them the $100 deposit I find out they are not certified by the NYS Division of Criminal Justice Services as a security training center and the actual cost should only be $175 for the training. This place is a scam avoid at all cost or it will cost you. Before you give a place like this money do your research and check the NYS DOJ web site for accredited security schools. educatedconsumer and lenny in Forest Hills both of you are full of it and probably work for them. I did my research and it is as plain as day this place is a scam.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

emon in Bronx, New York

16 months ago

WhiteLotus in Bronx, New York said: I went to an "interview" after I was called, let me say I was in for a shock! When I arrived it looks like a fake office and theres a waiting room. After they call you they tell you they need a deposit for a CPR class, at first glance I'm like ok CPR class for a security job seems reasonable. The 80 dollars they ask for is for a DEPOSIT for a 200 dollar class. Who in their right mind charges 200 dollar for a CPR class when the american red cross charges 125?! Not only that but they don't guarantee you'll work after your "certification." Furthermore they have a no refund policy only if you go back within 7 days and haven't taken any classes.

They rush you to leave once you "leave" your deposit, the guy didn't even tell me what to do for the CPR class he just said thank you come on Thursday. No interview questions, no asking for past experience, just asking everyone for money for a job they probably cannot get you. I literally saw the " HR Dept" calling other people telling them to come in for an interview and that "you will only pay when you are hired" LIES! I haven't been hired but I gave my deposit, I am going back tomorrow after I found out the truth about this company. Stay away, very far away!

I AM THE RECENT VICTIM.....I WOULD SAY STAY AWAY FROM 1ST NATIONAL CAREER CENTER..THEY WILL TAKE YOUR MONEY AND TREAT YOU LIKE A DOG...THEY TOOK MY $900 AND THEY NEVER GAVE ME A JOB...AND ALSO SOME OTHER PEOPLE I MET THERE HAD THE SAME COMPLAIN....THEY ARE THE BIGGEST SCAM IN NYC

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

HHHH in Bronx, New York

16 months ago

1ST CAREER CENTER IS A SCAM...DON'T GO THERE

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Frustrated in New York, New York

16 months ago

A Concerned consumer in Brooklyn, New York said: I myself went in for their interview and was asked to leave a $100 deposit for a security class. After that came the good part the balance would be $388 for the 8 hour, 16 hour, and fire guard training.. Now after giving them the $100 deposit I find out they are not certified by the NYS Division of Criminal Justice Services as a security training center and the actual cost should only be $175 for the training. This place is a scam avoid at all cost or it will cost you. Before you give a place like this money do your research and check the NYS DOJ web site for accredited security schools. educatedconsumer and lenny in Forest Hills both of you are full of it and probably work for them. I did my research and it is as plain as day this place is a scam.

I gave an 80 dollar deposit. I'm not going back after looking them up as well. Do you think they could steal our identity? :-/ i dont know how people like this don't get shut down. they are using the workforce 1 name too, which is a government service. smh...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Fierce in New York, New York

16 months ago

This place is a JOKE!! We need to get Help me Horward in there! They completely wasted my time! I walked in and walked right out!!! WTF is that?! Then I hear a guy fighting for his $ back! They have signs up telling you if you feel this is a scam leave the area!! Stay away!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Adrian in Ridgewood, New York

15 months ago

WhiteLotus in Bronx, New York said: I went to an "interview" after I was called, let me say I was in for a shock! When I arrived it looks like a fake office and theres a waiting room. After they call you they tell you they need a deposit for a CPR class, at first glance I'm like ok CPR class for a security job seems reasonable. The 80 dollars they ask for is for a DEPOSIT for a 200 dollar class. Who in their right mind charges 200 dollar for a CPR class when the american red cross charges 125?! Not only that but they don't guarantee you'll work after your "certification." Furthermore they have a no refund policy only if you go back within 7 days and haven't taken any classes.

They rush you to leave once you "leave" your deposit, the guy didn't even tell me what to do for the CPR class he just said thank you come on Thursday. No interview questions, no asking for past experience, just asking everyone for money for a job they probably cannot get you. I literally saw the " HR Dept" calling other people telling them to come in for an interview and that "you will only pay when you are hired" LIES! I haven't been hired but I gave my deposit, I am going back tomorrow after I found out the truth about this company. Stay away, very far away!

Hey is it true you can get a full refund if you go back within 7 days and haven't taken any classes yet? Please let me know

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

lala in Middle Village, New York

15 months ago

Adrian in Ridgewood, New York said: Hey is it true you can get a full refund if you go back within 7 days and haven't taken any classes yet? Please let me know

hey, im facing the same problem. can we go to ask our refund back together? we can also ask all people who commented here complaining about 1st national career. i think more people would be stronger.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ethekid in Newark, New Jersey

15 months ago

lala in Middle Village, New York said: hey, how to contact the person you said that was fighting with them? i want to join him. so we can get out money back together. probably i will suit 1st national career

Same thing happen to me today they told me I had to make 100 dollar down payment for my class. Now they said I owe them 499 to pay for the rest of the class

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Nelo Maxwell in Brooklyn, New York

15 months ago

Ethekid in Newark, New Jersey said: Same thing happen to me today they told me I had to make 100 dollar down payment for my class. Now they said I owe them 499 to pay for the rest of the class

I gave them 70 today, Is there anything they can do to you if you don't pay the rest of the money and is it possible to get a refund?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jenna in Brooklyn, New York

15 months ago

Did you guys get a refund? I doubt I am able to get it back. I am worried about my identity though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

tondarhodes@ymail.com in New York, New York

15 months ago

I am the Office Manager, Ms T. Rhodes of 1st National Career Center. I want to take the time to say that yes we are a company which supplies services based on what you need to obtain a job in security, we are not a scam nor do we take advantage of people. If you need assistance or more information to better assist you as well as guide you in the right direction, please feel free to come in and as for me, I will be more than happy to help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

tondarhodes@ymail.com in New York, New York

15 months ago

lenny in Forest Hills, New York said: -people have to be careful of how they write off a company or someone because things are not what they expect. whether an office looks fake or not doesn't mean that they arent providing good service. Iv been to 1st national, it doesn't look like a plush place, so what. Ive been to restaurants downtown that look shocking as to their appearance, but once you try the food and the service it was a different story. My brother used their service and got what he paid for " A DAMN JOB". I wont tell you how much. it is his business . he couldn't care less how they looked,or who was saying what on the phone "HE GOT A DAMN JOB".......by the way the red cross may charge 125.00, but Do they have placement?
Thank you for allowing us to assist you and gain employment. If you have anyone that you know who may be interested, please feel free to send them to us.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Dave in Yonkers, New York

15 months ago

Thanks you so much for the posting, I had a Interview today at 11.30 and they told me bring 80 bucks to get certified. Thank God I seen this posting, Made me not spend my money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Truth77 in Brooklyn, New York

14 months ago

I just filed a complaint with them to the BBB and Dept. Of Consumer Affairs. You all need to do this if you want to put people like this out of business. They take people's hard earned money and don't give you a damn thing in return. I am liable to stand in front of that place handing out leaflets warning people not to get involved with them. Do your research on the internet to get hooked up to valid, responsible, accredited places so that you can get the certifications you need.

CPR can be done free at a church or fire dept. Fingerprinting is a little over a 100 dollars and background checks are free. They are taking advantage of people who know little to nothing. They wanted me to pay $599 for OSHA certification and I know you can get it for a little over or less than 100 dollars. These people are a scam and I am going to make it my mission to put them out of business. If you have a complaint...please file with BBB or Dept of Consumer Affairs. Hopefully, we can get these people shut down. Tomorrow, I will put up a list of reputable places you can go to to get the certifications you need. God don't like ugly and all those employees will soon be out of a job. You reap what you sow. You can't take advantage of people and continue to prosper. First National will learn that lesson and learn it soon.

It is the only way many of you will be able to get your money back, and that is by filing with Dept of Consumer Affairs. What they are doing is not legal. Enough complaints and they will get what's coming to them.

These people are no different than those who scam folks for immigration cards, or mules who charge exorbitant fees to get people across the border. I will make it my life's mission to see that they get what they deserve. God bless you all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

14 months ago

Also, make sure you mention you are concerned with identity theft. The place is shady at best and there are people there with mean faces and attitudes acting like they are doing you a favor. It's the most unprofessional place I've ever seen or been in. These people will be shut down. I am praying for it. Also, Dave in Yonkers and the rest of the people in here singing their praises...we see right through you!!! I will also be emailing Help Me Howard and the consumer affairs segment host on Eyewitness news to help as well. They will definitely pay for robbing folk of their hard earned dollars in this economy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

14 months ago

The Fire Department will give you certified CPR courses for free...check your district or online to find out more by going to the fire dept website.
Go to Division of Criminal Justice website. Go to the part about Security guard training and click on links discussing 8 and 16 hr. licenses. It will give you a list of approved and revoked status schools so you can make the right decision as to where to go to get certified properly and with no problem. You can get services in the range of $25-$125. Please shop around.

You can get an application for licensing at the New York State Dept of Justice website.

You can get training at colleges as well like John Jay, New York City Technical, City College of New York etc. They are more reputable and the fees are not exorbitant. Go to the college that fits your needs. I know that you can get the 8 hr certificate for 40 and the 16 hr for 80 or less at some colleges. Please explore those routes. These are much better alternatives and options than what First National is offering and you won't have a problem with certification b/c these are respected, accredited colleges.

For OSHA certification and information: go to the Manhattan Area Office (go to OSHA website regulated by dept. of labor) on 201 Varick St. Rm 908 or call (this website won't allow me to put up the phone number) to find out where you can take classes that are approved so that you don't get scammed. There are plenty of courses that are no good. Call to find out where you can get classes in your state. Also, you can go the college route in this field as well. Lots of colleges are now offering OSHA courses. God bless and good luck to you all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

14 months ago

Just emailed HELP ME HOWARD...ALL WE HAVE TO DO IS WAIT!!!

dolly in Brooklyn, New York

13 months ago

omg i think my boyfriend got scam by these ppl. They have his ss nd got money from him!!,thing is he sign the contract! You think he can still get his money back.?

13 months ago

Dolly,

He doesn't have to go through with that contract. If he doesn't take any classes, he may be able to get his money back. If he does, I suggest that you still file a complaint with the Dept of
Consumer Affairs so that they are put on the radar and something can be done about them. From what I've learned from some on this forum, if you sign the contract and don't take any of the classes, you can get your money back.

If they don't, Consumer Affairs is your only point of action. They can go about trying to get your refund. All the signs in the center say no refunds, but they aren't on the up and up with people.

Help Me Howard still has not contacted me yet.

Dolly, good luck.

13 months ago

Try to go back 7 days from the day he went in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Boywonder in Bronx, New York

9 months ago

Truth77 in Brooklyn, New York said: Just emailed HELP ME HOWARD...ALL WE HAVE TO DO IS WAIT!!!

Can I get your email to cantact you? I need some advice

9 months ago

You can ask me whatever you want. I'm not comfortable giving out my email though.

If they have done you wrong, I can't stress enough how important it is to file a complaint with the Department of Consumer Affairs. The easiest way to do this is to go online and tell them what happened. They get in touch with you rather quickly and they will do everything they can to get you your money back.

They will act as your mediator. Unfortunately, First National has shown that they don't hold true to their promises and can't be trusted, so don't cut any side deals with them. Make sure everything goes through DOCA. I have seen people in other cases get satisfaction with them, so please alert them to what they've been doing. Also file with Better Business Bureau. A negative rating will damage their business considerably and as a last resort, contact Dept of Labor and Dept of Justice. Many Workforce One people have been assigned to them and they aren't helping people worth a damn.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

9 months ago

I will list the addresses and email of these organizations if you would like me to.

concerned. in New York, New York

9 months ago

Boywonder in Bronx, New York said: Can I get your email to cantact you? I need some advice

I believe that when you ask others to help you instead of asking the company how you can resolve this puts you in a questionable situation as to who do you really trust. Please come into the office and speak to one of the managers. I'm sure they will be able to assist you as well as somehow do for you whats needed to be done so that you can gain employment without the hurdles. Call or come into the office and speak to someone. 327 west 36th street, 12th floor, between 8th and 9th ave.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

9 months ago

Boywonder in Bronx, New York said: Can I get your email to cantact you? I need some advice

I left you a reply on this forum. You will get no where with First National, so I suggest you file a complaint. Their track record above shows that they cannot be trusted. No need to waist your time with them.

Oh and "Concerned", it's very obvious that he will not be able to trust you. The "questionable" one in all this is First National and its employees. Your actions have already proven this. It's laughable to suggest going to your company will help anyone and then you have the nerve to throw in trust issues. Who gains by having a prospective employees stop by your office, you or me.

Bye now!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

9 months ago

I left you a reply on this forum. You will get no where with First National, so I suggest you file a complaint. Their track record above shows that they cannot be trusted. No need to waste your time with them.

Oh and "Concerned", it's very obvious that he will not be able to trust you. The "questionable" one in all this is First National and its employees. Your actions have already proven this. It's laughable to suggest going to your company will help anyone and then you have the nerve to throw in trust issues. Who gains by having a prospective employees stop by your office, you or me.

Bye now!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Boywonder in Bronx, New York

9 months ago

Truth77 in Brooklyn, New York said: I left you a reply on this forum. You will get no where with First National, so I suggest you file a complaint. Their track record above shows that they cannot be trusted. No need to waste your time with them.

Bye now!

Yea Thanks, I have read all the other comments so I already know what I'll be doing

concerned. in New York, New York

9 months ago

Anyone who has a complaint or problem with 1st National Career Center, please come into the office so that we can help you or resolve your problem. You are not allowing us to do that therefore, listening to others will only get you no where. We have satisfied alot of our customers because they came in. We can do that for you as well if you will only allow us.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

White Lotus in Brooklyn, New York

9 months ago

After 9 months of me first starting this thread I can say I have gone to your office and no results. I have yet to see a refund , after countless phone calls and run around I got nothing but that they are working on the refund process. I'm glad to see so many have come out and put this company to shame. Well this is the last ill post here good luck to all! 1st national career center employees should be ashamed of yourselves.

White lotus out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

9 months ago

You will NOT get Justice by going to First National. Too many people have come on here detailing how shady First National is. Why waste time?! Contact Consumer Affairs and try to recoup your money that way. They have proven over & over that they cannot be trusted and I want to thank White Lotus for starting this thread.

It is deterring a lot of people from getting scammed by them. The truth of the matter is going to First National to "resolve" this will get you no where.

It's absurd to suggest you won't get recourse any other way than with them. Preposterous, indeed!

Consumer Affairs exists to deal with businesses like these. Don't assume you are doing anything wrong by contacting them or the BBB.

God bless you all on your job search. I will be praying that a door open up for each & everyone of you very, very soon. Don't give up!

Good luck & God bless!!!

parashutist in Staten Island, New York

9 months ago

There is this company called CentcoMarketing or they also call themselves Centurion. Stay away from them and do not go to the interview, unless you want to work on commission. I went to the interview only because they said, they had a full time position with a base salary. Well, it was sales, and they pay you $200 a week, and after it is all commission. When I was waiting for the person to interview me, there was loud house music playing, which I found very unprofessional.

FYI.... in Brooklyn, New York

8 months ago

just so you all know 1st national is now changing or has changed their name to "Urban Vocational" or Vocation(believe it or not the person who works there and that took my money DID NOT KNOW WHICH WAS WHICH) I took 80 to them, then paid them 338:
$200 for certification class
$138 for license and fingerprints (interesting point; there is a sign on the wall that says “STUDENTS ARE REQUIRED TO REGISTER FOR NYSD LICENSE ON THEIR OWN, I saw it and asked someone so why am I giving you the $138 NOW if I have to register for it on my own? He said “WE TAKE CARE OF ALL OF THAT FOR YOU” fast forward to me finishing the class and being told by several people at the office that no you are required to PAY THE $138 A SECOND TIME BECAUSE YOU ACTUALLY HAVE TO REGISTER YOU RSELF!)

Doing a little research can literally save you $400+ folks. I am desperate for a job too so I know what it’s like to keep on going back BUT if you want to become a security guard please go here: www.dos.ny.gov/licensing/securityguard/sguard.html

Start there and work out. We all fell into the trap of "quick hire" but that doesn’t really pan out in most fields. Long story short: listen to the people who posted on here and save the hard earned money you make to register via a legit channel.

P.S.: one day when I was in the elevator headed to their office I did meet a guy in the elevator who said they DID help him get a job…FYI…

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

No foolin' in New York, New York

8 months ago

LOL! I also respond to an ad this company had on Craiglist or Indeed. And didn't the person ask me to bring $99 to the interview. I laughed. What a scam and a shame so beware folks. Any ad promising security jobs for those without experience are probably fly-by-night schools attempting to sell you expensive training. Don't reply to any ad that doesn't clearly tell you who they are. And always Google the company's address. These con artists are really stupid to think they can continue to rip off the public in this day of social media. It's just to easy to get the real low down on a company within seconds. Peace and blessings to all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

NJ001 in Piscataway, New Jersey

5 months ago

Hi Everyone!

Well, long story short, my situation occurred while I am in US Army ROTC (Officers' Training) on 1/7/14. Needless to say, I replied to their NJ-based job post to get hired to be an armed guard. I go in for the scheduled interview, get approved, and told that I am hired. But because I am from NJ, I have to become NY certified to also work in NY , and so they process by ID and SS cards, etc. I thought it makes sense as each State has their own process. Once I go to the first class, I am told I was in the wrong class by the Instructor, which was for the Fire Dept. Fire Training. I ask for clarification to Mr. Bruno who hired me, and after no explanation from him and Mr. Toni DeMarco who came in to defend him, I ask for my $700.00 money back and Mr. Bruno said it is out the building, even after handing it to him three minutes before.

A week later after no rendered services, I get a call from Office Manager Tonda Rhodes, and she helped me to fill out a Refund Request Form as I had contacted the Better Business Bureau(BBB). A week later, I get called that I am approved and should expect my first refund of $350.00 in a week, and once I obtain it, to call them for security measures for them to send the second and thus last $350.00, so that it will not fall into the wrong hands. I call mid-March as nothing ever occurred and they mention that there was some confusion and they will now send the first refund. Nothing happens again and I call back and leave them voicemails and nothing--no response from them for a full month, and this whole time I was with the BBB. Then I am in contact with NYC Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA), for the past two weeks and sending them all the paperwork that I have, such as the signed contract and receipts. And today 6/25/14, I get a call from DCA and they cannot find nor contact them. They will send one of their own to find them at the address, and in meantime, I am told by DCA to purse court/legal action. Want to join me?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.