84 Lumber Salaries, Bonuses and Benefits.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

Host

What are the average starting salaries, bonuses, benefits and travel requirements like at 84 Lumber?

What do you like best about working at 84 Lumber? Are there any great perks or special treats for employees?

Reply - Report abuse

Brad Miller in Martinsville, Ohio

92 months ago

starting out you make 7.42 per hour. you have to work a min. of 48 hours per week.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Phillip S in Detroit, Michigan

91 months ago

Host said: What are the average starting salaries, bonuses, benefits and travel requirements like at 84 Lumber?
What do you like best about working at 84 Lumber? Are there any great perks or special treats for employees?

As sales rep, you are straight commision with 20% of gross profit. That's it, no car allowance, no expenses, nothing else. You are on your own basically.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

bjm in Martinsville, Ohio

91 months ago

That is one way to get paid the other is 11% of gross profit 19,000 per year and .20 per mile. But delivery expenses are deducted

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

frank in Garner, North Carolina

86 months ago

Phillip S in Detroit, Michigan said: As sales rep, you are straight commision with 20% of gross profit. That's it, no car allowance, no expenses, nothing else. You are on your own basically.

do your homework phil...highest pay rate in business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

84 quitter and proud of it in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

84 months ago

The only way to make money at 84 is to be an Outside Salesman or Store Manager. If you are an MT, Co-Mgr, or anybody in the corporate office don't expect to make any money.
MT: $7.42/hr + Bonus (If the store is doing good)
Inventory Manager (entry level corp. office): $27,500 + Bonus (If the stores in "your areas" are doing good.
First Promotion at corp. office: $31,000 + Bonus (but they get smaller!)
That is pretty much the salary cap unless you are CLOSE FRIENDS with Maggie or any of the "high ups"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

bj mill in hillsboro, Ohio

84 months ago

frank in Garner, North Carolina said: do your homework phil...highest pay rate in business.

Once you take out delivery expense 20% becomes closer to 15%. 84's pay is not the highest in the business. Stock and Carter pay better

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jeannie P in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

82 months ago

Guide

84 quitter and proud of it in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: The only way to make money at 84 is to be an Outside Salesman or Store Manager. If you are an MT, Co-Mgr, or anybody in the corporate office don't expect to make any money.
MT: $7.42/hr + Bonus (If the store is doing good)
Inventory Manager (entry level corp. office): $27,500 + Bonus (If the stores in "your areas" are doing good.
First Promotion at corp. office: $31,000 + Bonus (but they get smaller!)
That is pretty much the salary cap unless you are CLOSE FRIENDS with Maggie or any of the "high ups"

I totally agree. I worked for 84 in Oklahoma, and you may make $75k, but they'll take back 45 of it in fees! Plus, you'll get no sales support from corporate.

We had a saying at our store: 84 Ways to Screw the Salesmen!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Don n in Virginia

81 months ago

Thats kind of right, but not entirely. You can only be a Mgr by first being an MT and a Co. So you need to decide if you want to work for it, or look for a job that will pay you now, but you'll be doing the same thing and same pay 20 years from now. MTs now make $12 and hour, Cos make $13,48 hours a week. with the OT it makes for a decent pay check. If you live in an area where there are alot of 84s around, you wont have to worry about moving far to be promoted. Its no a bad job at all, one of the best in the area.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

thetruthabout84Lumber in Biloxi, Mississippi

72 months ago

There is so much to say about 84 Lumber. Just an overview can be found at www.myspace.com/84lumberripsyouoff. Please take a look there.

If you are a former employee please let me know!

Thank you!

That site has been set up to help inform as many people as possible that 84 Lumber lies. They don't hold any promises that they make and will hang you out to dry the first chance they get.

In particular my family was made a promise by MIKE LYONS from Mississippi that our best interest was at hand. It was not at hand when my husband's store manager position was taken right out from under him for no reason but their "will to work" crap after dedicating 5 years to their business. No explanation was ever given to us.

If you are considering a job with 84 Lumber, please think twice. They will overwork you, the pay will not measure up. You will be used for as much as they can get and then put you out on the street! They will make numerous promises they cannot keep and you will be sorry you ever considered working for them, or put in one minute of your time!

If you have any questions, or would like to tell your story of how 84 Lumber ruined your life or career, feel free to let us know! I will not stop until I can let as many people know as possible how my family has been treated from 84 Lumber!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Travis Fox in Canonsburg, Pennsylvania

70 months ago

DON'T WORK THERE!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

jrw883 in Salisbury, Maryland

32 months ago

I worked for 84 lumber in Manassas Va. Wasnt to bad , but like you said they will hang you out to dry asap

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.