ADP Cannot Make Hiring Decisions

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (36)

B2B Marketer in Streamwood, Illinois

82 months ago

Has anyone also notice how ADP re-posts the same jobs?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

greenblazer1 in Salt Lake City, Utah

82 months ago

They seem to have a high turnover...especially in the sales departments. That is one of the issues that my contact at ADP deals with on a regular basis. And she was more than a little frustrated that I could not get hired. I am a person who believes in longevity...17 years with the last company before they downsized. So no surprise that the jobs reappear...that and no one seems to be good enough for the phone interviewers. In a way it is almost as if the person doing the phone interview is intimidated if you have contacts at ADP or you have longevity with a different company. Jealousy on their part? maybe

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

RLC in Flower Mound, Texas

81 months ago

I agree that the phone interviewers are on another planet. My situation is very similar. I have been through 4 interviews now, in an area where ADP is hiring 1000 people, by there pr campaign. In the last interview, the person I talked with was disorganized and unprepared. He asked no questions about me or my abilities. He gave a one hour commercial about ADP. It is no surprise that I received a carefully worded, "We regret to infomr you" email from my HR contact.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

JP in Fullerton, California

81 months ago

I just went on my first face to face interview in Orange County, CA...and this woman was a witch. I arrived 10 minutes early for my interview and she was a half hour late..meaning I waited about 40 minutes. I'd like to think I'm a very bubbly and pleasant person. This woman did not crack a smile, and she told me at the end of my interview when I requested another interview that my personality didn't fit the profile ADP's looking for. Maybe I don't...but she was quite rude about it. Doesn't HR usually handle telling you you're not moving on? I would have preferred a "we'll call you" line! Oh well- on to other companies...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Mark Walder in West New York, New Jersey

79 months ago

wow I had quiet the opposite experience, everyone I dealt with was awsome. On the phone in person..everyone I met at the site in Miami was great....I really hope it all works out for me. I just waiting on my background check

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mike johnson in Los Angeles, California

79 months ago

If you have a DUI from 2 1/2 years ago will that affect an outside sales position

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

UncleTom in Pasadena, California

77 months ago

Hmmm... I also had an unfortunate hiring experience with ADP San Dimas, but have had one successful hiring experience with their competitor. And, that's all I needed.

Too bad about ADP. Even if the interviews had gone differently for the both of us (after all, interviewing IS a two-way street last time I checked the "standards"), I would have declined their offer and continued with my search because of employee moral. You see, several times during the interviews we all had to step over the number of offshore workers that were unsafely seated in hallways, aisle ways, and space formerly used as closets or meeting rooms. In closing, their salary expectations are as obsolete as their software products. Yikes!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Archetype in Ontario, California

76 months ago

Yes they do seem to have a high turnover. It's the only reason I can see to explain their constant recuitment efforts particularly in area of sales reps. Sure, it could be because of explosive growth and expansion; but payroll services is a fairly mature industry and I find it hard to believe that ADP is experiencing the kind of growth which would justify the expenditure of the resources necessary to wage a non-stop recuitment campaign. It's all supposition and speculation on my part to be sure, but when I see a company running the same help wanted ads month after month it sets off alarm bells. I've been in sales for more than a quarter of a century and when I see evidence of such an extreme turnover rate it's usually because of a couple of major factors. Either the corporate culture is rotten to the core and it's a miserable place to work or the company makes a practice of feeding on new hires who beat themselves to death trying to reach preposterous sales goals and burn themselves out in a few short months. As I said it's all speculation. Maybe I'm completely wrong and if I am then ADP isn't doing itself any favors because seasoned sales professionals notice their extraordinary recuiting efforts and don't even bother to apply.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

VJohnson04 in Cape Coral, Florida

75 months ago

As for the turnover, people weed themselves out because of production. Lots of people are promoted from within, and our turnover is one of the lower in the industry.

I was recruited in June by Marissa--- THANKS MARISSA!
The ENTIRE PROCESS took a while. (so don't fret!) I had the first interview (face to face) on June 4th or so and my start date was July 30th or so. One to two weeks from screening to face to face, then promptly a ride along within the next week or so, the an arrangement to meet upper mgmt (another week or so), then meeting with training mgr (phone for me), then one last interview with a couple surprises and if you pass-- BAM! offer letter -- then two weeks for background check.

I love my job and the sales aspect is easy (I'm 132% of plan)--- I stress that it's easy only if you have a knack for sales.

Great company, great culture, successful individuals are highly-- and I stress HIGHLY- rewarded.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

JobSeekerADP

75 months ago

VJohnson04 What is your position at ADP? Also, I have been interviewing with ADP for about 3-4 weeks now. I have done PHONE INTERVIEW, FACE TO FACE INTERVIEW, SCREENING ASSESSMENT BATTERY, HAD AN INTERVIEW WITH RECRUITER AS FAR AS COMPENSATION, HAD TO OFFICIALLY APPLY TO THE POSITION, DO LEGAL APPLICATION, NOW I HAVE ANOTHER FACE TO FACE COMING UP NEXT WEEK. HOW CLOSE AM I? THIS INTERVIEW IS SUPPOSE TO BE WITH A PERSON FROM UPPER MANAGEMENT BUT THEY COULDN'T MAKE IT, SO IT'LL BE TWO PEOPLE INTERVIEWING ME. WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT FOR THE INTERVIEW? HOW MANY MORE INTERVIEWS SHOULD I EXPECT? AM I GETTING CLOSE? THEY REALLY WANT THE BEST IT SEEMS, AND IT SEEMS LIKE THEY KNOW HOW TO GET THEM.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

VJohnson04 in Cape Coral, Florida

75 months ago

Well, you wouldn't be there if you weren't considered one of the top choices. You will be most likely meeting with two other sales mgrs in the same region. You'll still probably have to meet with the sales executive... the legal app was one of the last things i'd done. make sure you brush up on your sales skills *hint* ....
that will be one of the last things in the whole process. expect to be asked hard questions and make sure you have GOOD answers... they can tell if it's bs. if they come up with objections , like on your resume, overcome them... they expect you to.

i would go in there and make sure you sell yourself as if the company needs you-- not that you need the job. be OVER confident, but not cocky. they like that stuff.

if you make it past the next interview, expect another 2-3 weeks before an offer letter.

GOOD LUCK!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JobSeekerADP

75 months ago

Do you have an Email address I can reach you at?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

GBJS in Sacramento, California

57 months ago

VJohnson04 in Cape Coral, Florida said: vj_04@hotmail.com or virginia_johnson@adp.com

HI Virginia;
I just took the ADP assessment test yesterday. I applied for the RSM position in Dealer Services. I have taken tests like these before and have always passed and I feel confident I did well. Could you tell me how long ADP takes to get back to me (if at all) to let me know if I passed and/or how many days or weeks it takes for ADP to contact you if you pass the test? Do they let you know if you did NOT pass?
Thanks,
GBJS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sura in Alpharetta, Georgia

50 months ago

I also lost an offer b'coz the nos in the form for the background check did not match up the nos what the company reported. I just included all the benefits as well. Despite me sending all the w2's it did not help. Is it a crime, I am extremely disappointed as i have clean background with hardly even a traffic ticket. So ones potential are weighted by some nos that you made in the past?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

NoWhereToGoWithaPHD2 in Phoenix, Arizona

50 months ago

I have a close family member who has worked with them for 11 years. She always says that ADP's sales jobs have a high turnover. She's an IT Engineer. She was offered a position immediately with ADP pending her background information came out clean and received an offer letter virtually over-night. The entire process was very quick for her. I cannot believe that is the norm within the co. though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Casey Brady in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

48 months ago

B2B Marketer in Streamwood, Illinois said: Has anyone also notice how ADP re-posts the same jobs?

I can understand where this would be confusing to potential candidates. Because of this, I want to respond with a recruiting perspective. Our products can be sold to any business. Therefore, we have denser territories than other companies, as well as more sales people. Three out of five sales reps stay with the company – either in their current position, in an elevated position, or in a relocated area. That leaves two sales reps out of the five we have to replace. Either they voluntarily leave the company, or they are terminated. Since we have so many national sales reps, numbers can appear inflated. Essentially, it appears that we are always posting the same job(s.) Our niche is providing solutions to businesses for managing employees. We also buy up businesses and rebrand them for ADP; this is another reason for growth. As a heads up, we sell 40 additional product lines, in addition to payroll. In a nutshell, no matter what the company, the sales industry is notorious for high turnover. Realizing that our company is huge is the key.

We sell our products in a consultative way but we are still results-oriented. So if a representative is consistently not reaching goals, it’s a problem. Just because some individuals have an “A” type personality doesn’t mean they are great for sales. Sales jobs are incredibly difficult to judge. That is why a lengthy process often exits. In other careers, either one can perform or not. Further, individuals can be successful sales reps in certain industries, but lack the needed skills to sell our product lines.

I understand the job search is frightening because companies often blue sky opportunities. ADP has exceeded my expectations, and I am very happy with my decision to join their winning team. I plan to be with them forever if possible. 85% of my colleagues have been with ADP for bare minimum 5 years, with man

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

I plan to be with them forever if possible. 85% of my colleagues have been with ADP for bare minimum 5 years, with many boasting 10+ years. Amazing individuals, they pull out all the stops to locate great employees that are a correct fit for our sales offices. I often become concerned that candidates do not truly hear themselves during a phone interview, or even realize how body language affects the perspective of our team. Unexpected red flags showcase and disclose too much information, resulting in disqualification. That is why maybe you are a great sales person but didn’t get the job. We will interview people until we are blue in the face to find the right person. Even if that means we have to post and repost jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Anne Cole in Jersey City, New Jersey

46 months ago

I applied to ADP for customer service. They called me and I did the phone interview first, then an assessment test, then another phone interview with another recruiter, then a face to face interview with 2 team managers and the last interview was with the VP's of the department. I am now anxiously waiting for a call form the recruiter to see if I got the job. Does anyone now how long does it take before I here from the recruiter?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

Hi Anne!

Thank you for reaching out to me. We do have a long interview process, we want it to be a right fit for us and you! I tried to look you up in our system. Is Anne a middle name or is your formal name Annabelle or something like that? There are to many people with the last name with Cole to go through. Let me know so I can find you.

Casey

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Javier in Phoenix, Arizona

36 months ago

I have poor credit currently but other than that have an excellent work history, performance record and nothing on my background that would be of concern. Does ADP weigh a poor credit score heavily? I do not want to waste my time or theirs if a poor credit situation will ruin my chances. I am working to restore things to normal but comp plan changes and other factors at my current job have gotten me behind on my bills. Any input is appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

Javier in Phoenix, Arizona said: I have poor credit currently but other than that have an excellent work history, performance record and nothing on my background that would be of concern. Does ADP weigh a poor credit score heavily? I do not want to waste my time or theirs if a poor credit situation will ruin my chances. I am working to restore things to normal but comp plan changes and other factors at my current job have gotten me behind on my bills. Any input is appreciated.

Hi Javier!

The only time (that I am aware of) where a credit background is run (during the normal pre-employment process) is when a candidate will be working for Retirement Services. That said, poor credit isn’t always a big deal. If poor credit items show in the check, what ADP is looking for is steps to resolution – i.e., so long as the prospective employee is making inroads to fix their credit, we are typically able to hire. We have them sign a form indicating they consent we check on them again in six months to see what progress they have made towards correcting their issues. Every division is a little different in what they look for, but for the majority your credit score won't effect you getting a job if everything else is in line. If a recruiter calls you about a job ask them for confirmation on what I said above. Thank you for reaching out and I hope you apply for positions at ADP!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Saleguru in Parsippany, New Jersey

36 months ago

Archetype in Ontario, California said: Yes they do seem to have a high turnover. It's the only reason I can see to explain their constant recuitment efforts particularly in area of sales reps. Sure, it could be because of explosive growth and expansion; but payroll services is a fairly mature industry and I find it hard to believe that ADP is experiencing the kind of growth which would justify the expenditure of the resources necessary to wage a non-stop recuitment campaign. It's all supposition and speculation on my part to be sure, but when I see a company running the same help wanted ads month after month it sets off alarm bells. I've been in sales for more than a quarter of a century and when I see evidence of such an extreme turnover rate it's usually because of a couple of major factors. Either the corporate culture is rotten to the core and it's a miserable place to work or the company makes a practice of feeding on new hires who beat themselves to death trying to reach preposterous sales goals and burn themselves out in a few short months. As I said it's all speculation. Maybe I'm completely wrong and if I am then ADP isn't doing itself any favors because seasoned sales professionals notice their extraordinary recuiting efforts and don't even bother to apply.

I noticed that no one from ADP responded to your comments and I have to say they are DEAD ON! Your speculation is fact. I was with ADP for 10 years and the corporate culture used to be great. I loved it there. Then, the new VP's with the SBS mentality came in and destroyed Major Accounts. My managers spent more time interviewing candidates than assisting their employees. You see, corporate has what is known as "bench players". These individuals are hired and they sit around making close to 100k in salary until a territory opens up. You think they create territories for you? You are nothing special. Then someone quits or is fired and the bench player gets your territory.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Melissa Faughnan in Milford, Connecticut

36 months ago

Everyone’s experience may be a bit different. Sounds like you had a solid 10 year career with ADP. The training and bench positions were created to set new hires up for success, not failure… Over the years our offerings in MAS have increased and made our sale more complex. It was realized that it sometimes takes months or even a year for everything to “click” and make sense to a trainee. So, yes, everyone starts as a trainee and stays there until they are more than ready or when a territory opens. This could take as little as 8 weeks or months. During that time, every trainee is busy, gets involved in sales and has a mentor. Our training program has been rated top 3 over the last few years. We do a great job training and make sure a rep s ready for their own territory and quota. We don’t have the “throw you to the wolves” mentality.

As for the openings and number of postings ADP has out there, I don’t think people realize the scope of ADP and the number of different divisions and types of positions we fill. For that, you will always see ADP postings out there. One big reason for openings are due to the upward mobility here. Promotions from within create new opportunities and new openings. Almost 100% of our management positions in MAS are filled within. 90% of my candidates ask about opportunity for growth and I am always proud to say this is the place to be if you are looking for a career and place to grow.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Saleguru in Parsippany, New Jersey

36 months ago

Melissa, thank you for your reply. However, you've cleverly spun this in a direction that masks the truth. I didn't indicate that new hires and "bench players" were not given the opportunity to succeed. They are there to replace the existing sales force. ADP doesn't like career sales people. Also, with the OEI initiative, there is no room to move up the corporate ladder due to the fact there are no positions for anyone to obtain. Bench players do get mentors, that is true. But the sales rep is mentoring someone who is bound to replace them one day. Now, is this every case? No, but it does happen. As for the number of posted positions, they always have to have someone on the bench ready to take over a territory when the inevitable occurs. You also make it sound like there are hundreds of divisions within ADP. As memory serves, there is SBS, MAS, National Accounts, Retirement Services and Financial Services. To those who don't know the difference, please let me explain.

SBS: if you are fresh out of college and don't have a lot of sales experience, you go here
MAS: a step up from SBS now being run by people with SBS mentality
Nationals: excellent division but very difficult to get into
Retirement/Financial: Series licenses are necessary (they will assist you in getting those if hired)

Look, ADP was a great company. It's changed too much over the last two years since the financial crisis hit. It will be great again, but I don't think new hires will see it in their time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sweets2323 in Hollywood, Florida

36 months ago

I have a phone interview for client services here in miami. What should i expect. I am also curious to know if sales is hard.

What is the expecting salary for client services?

36 months ago

Hi Sweets 2323,

When you have a phone interview this is your chance to shine. It will determine if you will move forward to the next step or not. Be prepared to translate on why your experience and personality are a fit for this position with specific examples. Also go on our website and get to know us! Additionally we look for energy level and communications skills. At ADP sales and a client services rep are separate. If you are seriously interested in the client services position there are no sales involved. Yes sales can be hard just like any other job out there. For some people that have a knack for sales it isn't. Just like a client services rep position...if you don't like interacting with people all day and get satisfaction with helping them solve issues then it would be considered hard. As for the salary I am not sure, it is different for every city. I encourage you to ask that during your phone interview. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

Casey Brady in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: Hi Sweets 2323,

When you have a phone interview this is your chance to shine. It will determine if you will move forward to the next step or not. Be prepared to translate on why your experience and personality are a fit for this position with specific examples. Also go on our website and get to know us! Additionally we look for energy level and communications skills. At ADP sales and a client services rep are separate. If you are seriously interested in the client services position there are no sales involved. Yes sales can be hard just like any other job out there. For some people that have a knack for sales it isn't. Just like a client services rep position...if you don't like interacting with people all day and get satisfaction with helping them solve issues then it would be considered hard. As for the salary I am not sure, it is different for every city. I encourage you to ask that during your phone interview. Good luck!

Thanks Casey. I did well on the interview. The Pipleline Recruiter passed it on to the recruiter for that position.

A few weeks went by and she emailed, and asked me if I was interested in the position still and told me the location and if I was okay with it, I responded yes.

About 2 weeks went by again. This time I contacted the pipeline recruiter to find out my status, since I havent heard from the recruiter for the position. She checked my status and advised my resume is still being reviewed.

So aS of now, it just a waiting period.

Its so hard to be selected for this company. I wish I knew how to optimize my resume to their liking.

35 months ago

Whats your name so I can look you up in our system and see if I can help or not?

35 months ago

Thank you. I sent you a message through another site. :-)

jlovely in Atlanta, Georgia

8 months ago

VJohnson04 in Cape Coral, Florida said:

your response was very helpful. Thank you for taking the time out to explain the hiring porcedure. I am curious though, the phone interview from the recruiter, is it basic? like questions dealing with past experience and what i know about the company (ADP). i applied for a position as a client service representative ..entry level. im so excited and anxious cause working for ADP will really enhance my client skills for my field im going to school for..business management

jlovely in Atlanta, Georgia

8 months ago

Wonderfully put. Thank you for this informative information I have a phone interview for the position I applied for at ADP ( client service representative) and I am excited. I lvoe customer service and I have experience , so hopefully they love me because I did my research, Im a fast learner, and I love helping clients and putting a smile on their face :)

So aS of now, it just a waiting period.

Its so hard to be selected for this company. I wish I knew how to optimize my resume to their liking.

Evans in Atlanta, Georgia

2 months ago

Casey Brady in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: I plan to be with them forever if possible. 85% of my colleagues have been with ADP for bare minimum 5 years, with many boasting 10+ years. Amazing individuals, they pull out all the stops to locate great employees that are a correct fit for our sales offices. I often become concerned that candidates do not truly hear themselves during a phone interview, or even realize how body language affects the perspective of our team. Unexpected red flags showcase and disclose too much information, resulting in disqualification. That is why maybe you are a great sales person but didn’t get the job. We will interview people until we are blue in the face to find the right person. Even if that means we have to post and repost jobs.

Hello Casey, I had my face to face interview on January 20 2014 and it lasted about an hour and a half. I wad recruited thru a staffing agency. Does it usually take this long? My interview lasted for a long time and we discussed starting dates, compensation etc. Is that a good sign? I am soo nervous because I want to start my career with ADP and I really want this job. Please help.

2 months ago

Hi Evans!

Yes being there longer is a great thing. If they didn't like you they wouldn't spend the time on you. Not sure what role you are interviewing for, but I recruit for sales and they tend to be a longer interviewing process because a sales job is very challenging, but very rewarding for the right personality so they interview longer so your true colors come out. At the end of the day, we want it to be a fit for you as much as it is for us so your tenure with ADP is longer and it's a career move for you no matter what role. I suggest emailing them a thank you note, but not just any generic thank you note, but sell yourself. Gives specific things you said in the interview and reiterate them. If they had any reservations about you that were brought up in the interview then address them and close them at the end of the email. Tell them what you told me. That you want really want this position and you are ready to start your career with ADP. ~Casey

Evans in Atlanta, Georgia

2 months ago

Casey Brady in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: Hi Evans!

Yes being there longer is a great thing. If they didn't like you they wouldn't spend the time on you. Not sure what role you are interviewing for, but I recruit for sales and they tend to be a longer interviewing process because a sales job is very challenging, but very rewarding for the right personality so they interview longer so your true colors come out. At the end of the day, we want it to be a fit for you as much as it is for us so your tenure with ADP is longer and it's a career move for you no matter what role. I suggest emailing them a thank you note, but not just any generic thank you note, but sell yourself. Gives specific things you said in the interview and reiterate them. If they had any reservations about you that were brought up in the interview then address them and close them at the end of the email. Tell them what you told me. That you want really want this position and you are ready to start your career with ADP. ~Casey

Thank you Casey!! I actually mailed him an actual thank you card on Friday of last week, which was about 4 days after my interview. I interviewed for the PSR position. The interviewer actually told me they will have more interviews as there is more than 1 position available. I believe they want to develop a new PSR team so I believe this will make it a lengthy process. I just want to know if I will be offered this position because its a great opportunity, and I was laid off from my last company due to staff reduction. Please advise, do you know anything about that position and the interview process? Its only been about a week and a half since I interviewed, so maybe I should be more patient.

2 months ago

Good stuff! We are very very large company with several depts. I only really know about my managers and my spaces. They will definitely let you know either way. It's good that you are excited. I am sure that showed in the interview process... which is a good thing!

FutureADPemployee in San Antonio, Texas

2 months ago

Hi Casey,

I recently applied to ADP for a small business sales position. I made it pass the phone interview and I have my first f2f interview Wednesday 2/19/14 with 2 district managers. My recruiter is helpful but has not exactly answered my question. I have a few questions you may can answer.

- What exactly is the point of the first face-2-face interview?

- Are you asked to role play/or "sell me this pen" or is that later down the line?

- How do you close at the end of the interview?

- The base salary in Texas?

- Would it be appropriate to bring along certificates showing training in sales?

- Would it be appropriate to record a role play an email it to my recruiter/interviewers?

- What is the key to securing a job.. What do they want to hear?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.