Over qualified? Under qualified? Age?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Marines in Westborough, Massachusetts

34 months ago

I applied for a sales job with ADP and received a call from a lady and we talked for about 10 minutes. She said that she was going to have a manager call me as she was really impressed. I talked to her a couple of days later and was told that the job was on hold and that she said that I might be over qualified. So I applied to a higher sales job and they sent the generic leader saying they were using other candidates. I have more than 14 years of sales and management experience but I think the problem my be that I am 53 years old. Has anyone else had any problems like this as well?

Thanks
J.G.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jack Kates in Florham Park, New Jersey

30 months ago

ADP is starting to let people go coming up to age 55 or older. They are trying to keep the medical cost down...This is in the FP office.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Ellenville, New York

30 months ago

Jack Kates in Florham Park, New Jersey said: ADP is starting to let people go coming up to age 55 or older. They are trying to keep the medical cost down...This is in the FP office.

How do you specifically know this?

All ADP has to do is do away with their pension if they are looking to save.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

djwwinks@yahoo.com in Florissant, Missouri

30 months ago

Marines in Westborough, Massachusetts said: I applied for a sales job with ADP and received a call from a lady and we talked for about 10 minutes. She said that she was going to have a manager call me as she was really impressed. I talked to her a couple of days later and was told that the job was on hold and that she said that I might be over qualified. So I applied to a higher sales job and they sent the generic leader saying they were using other candidates. I have more than 14 years of sales and management experience but I think the problem my be that I am 53 years old. Has anyone else had any problems like this as well?

Thanks
J.G.

Oh do I know how you feel.I have been an orthodontic assistant for 27 years expanded functions certified,but as soon as they find out how much experience I have they figure out my age and think I"m too old or don't want to pay what I'm worth.I have been unemployed fo 10 mos. now.

Jessica Steinberg in Roseland, New Jersey

30 months ago

Hello to all on this board. In full disclosure, I work for ADP. I can totally empathize with the feeling of being written off as over-qualified. My husband is on the job market and on a weekly basis he’s being told things like, "You should be my manager, not applying for THIS role." I also understand from a hiring perspective the fear of hiring, training, and investing in someone who in theory could be waiting for something “better” that they are "qualified" for.

The reality is that the job market has changed for job seekers and employers. The new normal is many people looking for jobs that they wouldn't have considered in the past. And companies are inundated with applicants. The advice I give my husband in this tough job market:

1) Be persistent when you’re truly interested in an opportunity – it not only shows your level of interest in the position but creates more opportunities to engage the recruiter to address any concerns they may have about moving you forward. ESPECIALLY if you’re in sales, where your follow up skills and persistence give some insight into how your ability to get past gatekeepers and open doors.
2) Connect with your recruiter on LinkedIn and keep in touch – they are often working on multiple positions in various locations, and by forming a relationship, something could come up in the future that you’re a better fit for.
3) Plant a many seeds to find the right job, but don’t stop at the application. If a job looks perfect on paper for you…leverage LinkedIn to network your way into the company. ADP’s career site has a tool that shows you who you know in LI and Facebook that work the company – many companies have this as well. The business world had gone social – make it work for you.

Best of luck on the job search - hope you find the perfect fit!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jessica Steinberg in Roseland, New Jersey

30 months ago

Jack Kates in Florham Park, New Jersey said: ADP is starting to let people go coming up to age 55 or older. They are trying to keep the medical cost down...This is in the FP office.

Jack - this is a strange rumor to start. I've seen a few similar rumor type comments you've written on other companies forums over the years.

ADP is considered a thought leader in HR best practices (including benefits which they provide to hundreds of thousands of their client's employees). To say that they are laying people off by age in one small office to shave off a few dollars given the scale of the company seems a bit counterinuitive. ADP has over $9 Billion in annual revenue; 53,000 employees in more than 50 countries.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jack Kates in Florham Park, New Jersey

29 months ago

Jessica Steinberg in Roseland, New Jersey said: Jack - this is a strange rumor to start. I've seen a few similar rumor type comments you've written on other companies forums over the years.

ADP is considered a thought leader in HR best practices (including benefits which they provide to hundreds of thousands of their client's employees). To say that they are laying people off by age in one small office to shave off a few dollars given the scale of the company seems a bit counterinuitive. ADP has over $9 Billion in annual revenue; 53,000 employees in more than 50 countries.

Jessica,
You have me confused with someone else. I only joined this site less than a month ago...All I know a few friends of mine are over or close to 55 getting let go from ADP...I do not want to give out names...Just look and see how many people been let go from ADP in the last 6 months...I would guess many are close to their 50's...You should be able to figure it out...Branding & Communications = Public Relations at ADP.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.