BE CAREFUL

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 291)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Laurie in Portland, Oregon

90 months ago

I am guessing you have never been an independent representative before or owned your own business because everything you said that was negative to you, like you don't get paid when you don't work...is exactly how it is when you own your own business and AFLAC is really your own business. You can make as much or as little as you want. Employers want their employees to have the best benefits available and employees want to get back their copays and to get money when they are in need..money that THEY decide what to do with, not that goes to the dr or anyone but the needing person..food, gas, rent, mortgage..diapers formula...chemo, medicine.

I do agree that 7 hours of a presentation would be really long..that is not how it is done here nor in any other states where I have many people in my team.

The product is really awesome! and the financial opportunity is second to none!..The personal stories will make you cry when you learn how many people, and I am betting,even some people you know, have been helped by receiving money from AFLAC.

I think that you made the right decision for you when you left because it seems like you would not be happy working the hours that YOU chose, making the kind of money YOU chose with no limits and providing a product that truely changes peoples lives!

Let me know if you have an specific questions I can answer about working for AFLAC and the products they offer.

Good luck in you career search!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (90) / No (34) Reply - Report abuse

me in Richardson, Texas

90 months ago

I HAVE been to one of these "independent" workers/leaders, whatever. I got a lecture about the importance of saving money and how we need to convice more Americans to do the same. I am just getting by as it is- providing for my family and paying my bills in full- to keep my credit intact. They gave ME a lecture about saving $$ and how we all need to invest. I understand the logic, but when you have to buy diapers, groceries, pay your electric bill and rent, well- saving is a dream. With that in mind, I am not going to "sucker" some poor family into doing something that I cannot.

My point: I understand that other people have their own stories and are doing their best. Not everyone wants to rob a bank. There are honest people out there. Sales is about sales. Period. Not about ethics, or helping one another.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (58) Reply - Report abuse

Luis in Indianapolis, Indiana

90 months ago

I am contenplating going in for my interview this friday... I have read about this job and even though my sales skills are better than most... I am presently getting paid 12 an hour and going to college..I have a question for Laurie in Portland and i read that u work for them and to me it seems that this job looks like one of those pyramid sceems were u get as many people under you and u really just profit under someone else and their isnt much money at all.. please explain because if it is a good job i dont want to miss out

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

laurie in Lancaster, California

90 months ago

Hi Luis,
It is a great job..and no its not a pyamid thing. If you have someone that you tell about the opportunity and they do decide it is for them, then the person who encouraged them to become a part of AFLAC and encouraged them is most likely to stay in contact and provide additional support and motivation will actually be compensated 5% of that persons first year..it doesn't take away anthing from anyone as far as comissions go.

It just is incentive to always offer the opportunity to others who may be looking for a good career. If you have sold any kind of insurance before you know how good the money can be. For example I wrote 4 policies direct to the policy holders, not through a payroll account, and I wrote the policies on a monday on that Thursday I had direct deposited in my account $594.00, so it is a very quick profitable pay plan and then you get paid again each month when the policy holder makes their payment..it is a small amount on those policies it was about 4.80 a month, but when you have many, it really adds up.

The really best thing is how important the insurance is to sooo many families..the stories that people tell you about what a difference the money that they go meant to them is outstanding...as an example. if a women or a family has the right policy (each state is a bit different) let's say they are paying 50.00 a month which is a little more than most states, but let's say they pay that for a whole year before they have any claims..they have paid about 600.00 now they deliver their baby..they, with in 4 days of the claim, they get a check for $1700..that is just for the averaqge, normal delivery..and if their are complication etc..they may get even more..I have actually seen up to 4,000. But so with the 1st example..they now have $1100.00 to spend on whatever..diapers comes to mind! or lost days at work it is their choice.. It just goges on and on they money they get.
It is a great career and I love to add people to my team

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (59) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

me in Richardson, Texas

90 months ago

You must have been brainwashed. It is a pyramid. Period. That is why they are always recruting and there is high turn-over. If everyone was successful after working their butts off, who would leave?? If it is so successful, how come when they call you and you question them on the phone: "you received my resume and want to offer a position- what sort of position?" and they say "you have to come in to find out". If they didn't have anything to hide, then why would they?????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (50) Reply - Report abuse

89 months ago

Aflac Tops Fortune's Most Admired List as Best Innovator Among Life and Health Insurers

Aflac maintains its position as one of America's most admired companies for
seven straight years.

COLUMBUS, Ga., March 6 /PRNewswire/ -- For the seventh consecutive
year, Aflac has been named by FORTUNE magazine as one of America's Most
Admired Companies, maintaining its number one spot as the most innovative
company in the life and health insurance category. The only Columbus,
Ga.-based corporation to make the list, Aflac ranked among the top five
companies within its industry. The complete list of the companies will
appear in FORTUNE magazine's March 19 edition.
"It is always an honor to be recognized as a most admired company,"
Aflac Chairman and CEO Dan Amos said. "Aflac's mission of providing the
best value to our customers by combining innovation with quality insurance
products remains a priority for our organization."
Published annually by FORTUNE, the Most Admired list serves as a
definitive report card on corporate reputations. To create the list,
executives, directors, and analysts were asked to rate companies in their
own industry on eight criteria -- innovation, people management, use of
corporate assets, social responsibility, quality of management, financial
soundness, long-term investment, and quality of products/services. A total
of 616 companies in 68 industries were surveyed over the fourth quarter of
Aflac was one of 15 Georgia companies to make the list. In January,
FORTUNE named Aflac as one of the best places to work for the ninth
consecutive year.
For more than 50 years, Aflac products have given policyholders the
opportunity to direct cash where it is needed most when a life-interrupting
medical event causes financial challenges. Aflac is the number one provider
of guaranteed-renewable insurance in the United States and the number one
insurance company in term

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Connie in Ohio in Livonia, Michigan

89 months ago

Lauri,

I admire your loyalty to your company. I think you are correct that some of the posters are not suited to this type of work.

I have been approached by a successful agent to join her and others at AFLAC. I have not had this type of commission position previously, and wonder about some of the specifics. I am sure she will answer these questions, but I'd like your take as well.

What would you say was an average first year gross?
Did you do predominantly cold calling to start, or did you get leads from the web site and call center?
Do agents have difficulty in getting their own standard health insurance? Is there a pool that agents can buy into?

Thanks for your time.
Connie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

89 months ago

Hi Connie,
I think one of the best aspects of AFLAC are the products and how they actually are WANTED by employees, basically people, in all walks of life and how much difference they can make.

To answer your questions, you become an independent representative and here that means that we would find your own medical insurance, which by the way, is something I had done even before I joined AFLAC, there are actually organizations for the self employed as well as many independent compaines that offere major medical..but again, that is here in Oregon, it might be different where you are.

There are several ways to get the leads and again, it depends on your area and your region and district. I prefer to work with networking groups and direct sales..one to one. One of my team in MN prefers to cold call in person door to door businesses..she is tremendously successful. There is a class in which they will teach you the different ways to get leads and then you would decide what works best for you. There are people in my office who prefer to use the phone and cold call. You are your own boss, you can follow what is offered to you as teaching and training or you can do whatever else you feel will make you successful. A person without prior sales experience is often very successful by following all the training step by step.

The figure that the company says is 35 - 75 first year. Here you get about 35% average commission..so if you have 5 policies with the annual premium of 600 that would be 3000 x 35 % that would be 1050 of which you get a percent up front. Here it is about 60% so $630 direct deposited inyou account in 3 days! in MN you would get 80% so $840 then you get monthly amounts, renewals..which are always yours and if you die your heirs can get the renewals..plus you get stock and often credits toward a computer..trips etc..

Let me know how it goes and what you think after you talk to your person.
Laurie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Interested in Brooklyn, New York

89 months ago

Hello Laurie, (Portland)

I'm moving from NYC to Austin TX next month. I have never done direct sales in my life, but I'm willing to give it a try. I'm tired of having a limit to what I earn. I work for a home care company here in brooklyn, NY delivering IV medication all over NYC. I probably delivered 12-15 millions dollars a year, but I get peanuts for it.

I'm married, so I can't really go for a long period of time without making money. I would greatly appreciate any tips you can give me.

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

89 months ago

Thanks for asking! I have not yet figured out if there is a way for personal email contact with anyone..I would love to give you more detail and suggestions..but wuld prefer to do it one to one..I am off until tonight which is 3 hours earlier than your time..but I will definately answer your questions..do you know of a way to communicate one to one on this board? I will check back tonight..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Catherine Mosko in Kansas City, Missouri

89 months ago

Hi Laurie,

I have just went to my first interview with AFLAC. I was wondering if this was going to be a struggle for me because currently I am a tax preparer and the season will be over soon. I need the money and was wondering if you can tell me how hard it is to make money in the position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Theresa Ryan in Alum Creek, West Virginia

89 months ago

Hi Laurie
I have been in retail sales for 17 years and I am 36 years old. I am looking for a change in jobs that ables me to spend more time with my children and still earn a good living. Do you find it possible to start out part time with Aflac to build your sales and still beable to hold down a 40 hour week job until I feel comfortable with it and the salary that I would be making. Also is this straight commisions? Do they pay any type of draw check? Do you inherit any policies that have already been established in an area? And what is the hiring process. I always up for a good challenge!
Theresa Ryan
Charleston, WV

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Theresa Ryan in Alum Creek, West Virginia

89 months ago

Hi Laurie
It's Theresa Ryan again. Just to let you know I am actually from Charleston West Virginia I know this is probably of no importance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

89 months ago

Hi Lisa,

I guess that maybe it is a defination of pyramid scheme..first of all the word scheme has very negative connotations. The pay for performance is a given. The percentage paid for the recruitment of another is not negative and if it is something the company chooses to give, which takes nothing away from the person being recruited, it could also be deemed a bonus or an increase in compensation. Definition of pyramid sales "The commissions are based on the number of sellers recruited". This is nothing even close to what you are referring.

I think this is great site, however I am tired now of this subject. I am thrilled with the income and the freedom I have, but I have been in sales and had many many sales teams..so it is what I enjoy. Once again...It is NOT for everyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

89 months ago

Thank you for your comments. I am the sucker who drives the Lexus, only it is a BMW, and sits on the cruise, only its my condo on the beach in hawaii..not only me..but the 3 people whom I suckered in!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Classyone in Twelve Mile, Indiana

89 months ago

Laurie said: I am guessing you have never been an independent representative before or owned your own business because everything you said that was negative to you, like you don't get paid when you don't work...is exactly how it is when you own your own business and AFLAC is really your own business. You can make as much or as little as you want. Employers want their employees to have the best benefits available and employees want to get back their copays and to get money when they are in need..money that THEY decide what to do with, not that goes to the dr or anyone but the needing person..food, gas, rent, mortgage..diapers formula...chemo, medicine.
I do agree that 7 hours of a presentation would be really long..that is not how it is done here nor in any other states where I have many people in my team.
The product is really awesome! and the financial opportunity is second to none!..The personal stories will make you cry when you learn how many people, and I am betting,even some people you know, have been helped by receiving money from AFLAC.
I think that you made the right decision for you when you left because it seems like you would not be happy working the hours that YOU chose, making the kind of money YOU chose with no limits and providing a product that truely changes peoples lives!
Let me know if you have an specific questions I can answer about working for AFLAC and the products they offer.
Good luck in you career search!

I am currently interested in working for AFLAC. I have researched the results of several top 10 companies that have placed AFLAC on their list for prosperity and success, especially for myself, a black women. I do realize that as an independent agent you are responsible for your income, what you are willing and not willing to make, however, how difficult is it to sell this product, especially in Louisiana?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

suze in Northville, Michigan

89 months ago

Laurie,
I interviewed with AFLAC last week and am considering the position. I just wanted to know more about the number of hours you work and when most of your appts. are, during the day or at night or on weekends? Do you meet clients in the office or at their homes or neutral locations like a starbucks, etc? I was looking for a career change and am thinking this is too good to be true. Also, I have the same question as someone earlier, about starting this part time - will that work?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Erica in New Jersey in Sayreville, New Jersey

89 months ago

Hi I just went for an interview today in CentralNew Jersey. Two other offices in New Jersey have contacted me as well. Would you say it makes a difference what office you work out of? How do you get most of your sales? Cold calling, referal? Do you have to go into the office on days you are not on site or can you work from home?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Erica in New Jersey in Sayreville, New Jersey

89 months ago

On a side note how do you find Portland? I hear it is a beautiful place and a walking city. Being from New Jersey is hard when you love nature but we do have some great hiking!

What did you do before AFLAC? Thank you for doing this discussion board it's good to get a positive take instead of just negative. Also, I am currently a teacher and although I want a more financially rewarding career it still matters to me that what I do in the future helps others. I love to hear your stories of how AFLAC has helped families.

Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ready to work in Citrus Heights, California

89 months ago

What is AFLAC?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Courtney in Van Buren, Arkansas

89 months ago

SCAM!!! RUN!!!

I worked for AFLAC for three months. At the interview I was told I would be reimburst for my licensure and classes. (That never happened). I watched several other agents go out and make money while I was waiting on my writing number... The whole time I was there I made something like 250. Now, nearly a year later I get a letter in the mail saying I have a "debit balance" of 155. I have 10 days to pay this or they are turning my account over to AFLAC's attorney.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

Norman in Grand Bay, Alabama

89 months ago

Sales is work, some of you on this board are afraid of that I think. It takes confidence in your own abilities to be on your own and very few people have what it takes. Just close your eyes and feel the fear and you will see what I am talking about. By the way do you really expect a company to pay you on anything BUT performance when you are at home (out of sight out of mind) and no way to know if you ARE working?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

89 months ago

Yes, I do think it can make a difference as to what office you work out of. I would meet with the regional managers in each office as well as the district manager you will be directly under. Different things will be important to you, as far as communication style, availability, expectations, level of training and just plain personalities. However that said, it is going to end up being what YOU make it!

The diostrict is the person that will most likely train you and you will want your style to either match or compliment theirs. I think that you will not be happy or get a good start if there is not a compatability piece. Places are different, but in several of the state my team is in, it is not really an option to switch "district managers".

There often is a training week and then a follow up training which can be different things in different states. It is usually mandatory to attend these trainings, plus you will want to as you do learn alot about the company and you will get a lot of ideas from others.

You can get the business as you choose, you will be given assistance on all areas..such as cold calling, phone, business to business, warm leads, people you know..it does truley become your choice.

Of my team, we have the option to work from home or go into the office. My preference is to work from my home office, but I do go to meetings in the AFLAC office and also am able to get supplies as well as make calls should I choose.

Let me know what you decide to do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

89 months ago

Erica,
I think this discussion board is great as well. I have so many people with questions and I think it is great to share them. I do also have an email address that I have decided to post for anyone who would like more in detail information. It is savedbytheducktoo@yahoo.com
I owned a marketing company. I have also been in real estate for many years as well as a career counselor and life coach.
I have great admiration for teachers! I could not have raised my son without you! Being a single mom is always a challenge and due to wonderful teachers, he has become a successful high schooler straight A's and a very focused athlete.

It is very true that AFLAC does really offer many benefits and actually change people lives..of course there are the dramatic stories but there are also just the everyday ones too.

You can be an AFLAC rep parttime and be very successful! You cna market the products to bothe individuals as well as employers for their employees.

Thank you!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

89 months ago

I am sorry that you had this experience. I have not heard of this before. I do know that some places do offer to reimburse you for you license. You do not say whether or not this did happen. The balance you mention..what is it for? did you order premiums like the little ducks or any things to give away? or clothes? Did you purchase and policies for you? Did you receive any commissions for policies you sold?

Have you talked to the people who were directly your district manager or regional manager? Did you call AFLAC?

You said that you waitied for your writing number while others went out and made money..making money is good so you can see that you can make money with AFLAC..waiting for your writing number is as with any licensed company.

Again, I am sorry you had this experience. I think you may beable to resolve it or at least understand what is actually being charged to you if you further investigate it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

89 months ago

The person who wrote the policy usually gets the renewlas for life. Not usually the one who recruits them. The one who recruits them only gets a bonus on the first years gross sales.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

marvin in Beloit, Wisconsin

89 months ago

i am suppose to call an agent to get more info, they saw my resume online and left me a voicemail yesterday asking me to contace them today, i am a single dad of 3 kids and i work as a telemarketer. i dont like telemarketing, but i get a check for the hours i work, i cant afford to give up a steady job for a maybe. is it worth it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

laurie in Lancaster, California

89 months ago

Yes...you will be GREAT at it! I can give you more info either on this board later or you can email me at savedbytheducktoo@yahoo.com

patti in Frisco, Texas in Frisco, Texas

89 months ago

I have interviewed, and have a couple of others coming up, all with insurance companies. I've been in some form of sales almost all of my adult life, the most lucrative being when I owned my own advertising business. I've never thought of selling as selling, persay. My philosopy has always been to "educate" my prospective clients concerning the product or service I represent. No one likes to be "sold", I've always believed my clients bought after deeming my products or services to be something they need or want. That being said, Laurie, I don't believe I saw a reply from you with regard to the times of the day that you generally work. Since much of the Aflac business is with companies, am I to assume that the majority of your work time is during the day with occassional evenings and weekends? Or, is it the other way around? I'm trying to decide which company best suits my lifestyle and feel that with those companies that market primarily to individuals, much of your business hours are outside of usual daytime "business" hours. What says you, oh great defender of Aflac:)! Thanks in advance for your reply.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

89 months ago

Hi Patti,
It sounds like you will be successful no matter what you choose! With AFLAC it does depend on who will be your business client. Personally I enjoy a variety of hours because I enjoy working when ever a client is available. Many of our agents choose to only work Mon-Friday. If a lot of your business is retail, direct or cafe business then you wuld have your choice of any day you choose.

Good Luck!

Experience in the NorthEast

88 months ago

I answered an ad for an agent position. At the interview we watched a 30 minute video about AFLAC and then had a group interview for about an hour. They never got into depth about the product or how you got business except that some cold calling would be involved. They really stressed owning your own business and the unlimited potential of renewal and stock in your 13th month. After a couple more conversations I decided to get the ball rolling. The training is good but very brief. They give you enough information to handle your self for a brief conversation but you will have to bring your DSC in after that point. They receive a 5% override on your production that comes straight from AFLAC not your pocket. Here is where the reality of AFLAC becomes apparent. When you start cold calling, you will hear the same responses…”You are the 10th different AFLAC person to call me this month, leave me alone!” You are following a script (you will feel like a telemarketer because that is what you are) and try to rebut but people are annoyed with all the past AFLAC phone calls. Another form of getting business is the corporate drop technique. Your DSC and SPC will tell say you are not soliciting but the gatekeepers you encounter in your visits don’t see it their way. After a couple of weeks you realize AFLAC has saturated the market with independent agents. Sure they have a low market penetration in your state but they have total saturation in attempts to contact the benefit manager or business owners. It is a great product but they have sales marketed their product poorly. They spend 60 million dollars on advertising and tell you how that makes your job easier. What they don’t tell you is the success ratio is low, drop out rate is high and AFLAC agents from other districts and states will be calling your local customers. Are their successful AFLAC agents out their…Yes. But the majority fails.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Em in Freeport, Illinois

88 months ago

Laurie in Portland, Oregon said: As I had mentioned before, it really will not be the opportunity for you.

I think if you fully research the company you will find it is a great company to work for.

I actually sought out the company after my research. There are over 44 million policy holders and it is the number one health plan in Japan.

I have felt obligated to respond to all your negative posts as I don't want people who might really love to have a great product, work their own hours, make as much as they want and that is actually broken down to an average rep makes approximately 120 a year and the top 20% are making 400,000 for real..I just didn't want them to not look into the opportunity because you are so negative..but it I realize that most of the successful people who are considering a career change already know how to research and determine a good opportunity for them ..so once again I do wish you success in your career search.

THere is no way in hell they make 120 a year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Em in Freeport, Illinois

88 months ago

marvin in Beloit, Wisconsin said: i am suppose to call an agent to get more info, they saw my resume online and left me a voicemail yesterday asking me to contace them today, i am a single dad of 3 kids and i work as a telemarketer. i dont like telemarketing, but i get a check for the hours i work, i cant afford to give up a steady job for a maybe. is it worth it?

Gosh Marvin, I hope you kept your regular paying job. Some days I made money with AFLAC and most times I put my groceries on a credit card. All your expenses are your own and some of the training is bad (like they make managers of people who can sell a lot, not neccessarily people who can manage). Run...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Emily in Freeport, Illinois

88 months ago

This is Em. I worked out of the NorthWest region a few years ago. AFLAC is a good company for benefits. My daughter received benefits after being in an accident and they paid as they said they would. It was a great help to her for a long time. That impressed me and I was ready for a change and went to work for them. But trying to sell these products in a saturated market is ridiculous. Nearly every place I cold called had ten agents trying to get in there before me. They will hire just about anybody I later found out, which didn't make me feel so good. AFLAC wants new people to drain them of any contacts they have and then leaves them to their own devices. I was told I would make at least $40, 000 my first year and it was more like $8,000. I worked 45 to 60 hours a week. They constantly want you to bring in new people, which I wouldn't do since I couldn't even make money while doing it, why would I recommend it as a career to people? There were agents with no morals and tell your customers that their agent moved away and they were the new servicing representative. If you became a manager they expected you to give part of your sales to the new people so the upper management would look good and get bonuses. I moved a few years ago to the midwest to be closer to my husbands family and left my agency out West. I still have renewal checks, but they are not enough to pay the bills, not even close, so I went back to teaching. Sorry for being so blunt, I wish someone had been more honest with me before I worked for AFLAC.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (51) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

It sounds to me from Laurie's posts that her client base is mostly individuals as opposed to a business which is what they promote during the interview. It sounded good to me when I interviewed since I was told you would be making a presentation to the benefits people and then following up after for the sale and only 4 employees were needed for the contract. If the business market is saturated then you would need to concentrate on individuals and this is what it sounds like Laurie/Portland has done.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

I am also interviewing at Bankers Life and Casualty and there are not comments about them. Does anyone know anything and how they compare to AFAC?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

This forum is very beneficial to people interested in working for a new company as you are able to get many views from many people.
Aflac has offered many a vehicle to be successful, but you have to be able to drive it correctly and in the right direction. How fast you get where you are going depends on all the twists, turns and roadblocks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Emily in Freeport, Illinois

88 months ago

Laurie in Portland, Oregon said: This forum is very beneficial to people interested in working for a new company as you are able to get many views from many people.
Aflac has offered many a vehicle to be successful, but you have to be able to drive it correctly and in the right direction. How fast you get where you are going depends on all the twists, turns and roadblocks.

I worked the direct market as well as the business market for over 7 years working 45 to 60 hour work weeks. I had some very good accounts with new employees to see every month and sold every month. I was the top sales person on numerous occassions and won trips. I was asked to be a manager and declined it several times because I didn't have the ability to give business=money=groceries away. If after all of that and a person cannot make enough money, then there is something wrong with this picture. Why do you think they are constantly looking for new people? It's is because people cannot make a living out of it. I am sure this comment will bring an influx, but where are all the other AFLAC agents defending this job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Brent in Lubbock, Texas

88 months ago

Keys to Success with AFLAC

1) have prior relationships with business owners or key business contacts that do not already offer any supplemental benefits to their employees
2) be well organized
3) be highy driven and able to motivate yourself
4) be prepared to prospect a large area and do alot of driving
5) have friends and family that will give you solid referal leads to businesses who do not offer supplemental benefits to their employees
6) be fearless in your prospecting efforts

I have been an AFLAC agent since October 2006 and so far i have written 48,000 in annualized premium(AP), approximately 70 % of that AP has been written in accounts that are existing accounts in our district. The other 30 % has come from accounts i have opened on my own or direct leads of my own. My goals are at minimum are to write at least an average of 2000 AP per week which equates to about 104,000 AP per year. In dollar terms that would be $21,000 in up front commissions. After a year in business i would like to average at least 2500 which would equate to about $27,000 / year in upfront commissions. After about 3 years i'd like to move to an average of 3500 / week which would equate to about 35,000 / year in upfront. Upfront commissions are all you should really count on , where i live upfront is 63 % of your first year commission on anything you write. Your first year commission is between 25-40% depending on which policy you sale. The remaining 37 % is paid out over the next 12 months. Then you receive a renewal of between 4 and 7 % after that. Your going to have some attrition though so i consider all that bonus that i don't depend on. The upfront is all you can depend on.

if you want to succeed you will have to WORK YOUR ASS OFF and will have to have some contacts planned out before hand. I have been lucky to have a DSC (district sales coordiator) that allows his associates to write business in his accounts. I'm outta space enjoy !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Nelson from Ohio in Youngstown, Ohio

87 months ago

I am looking to make a career change into the insurance business. I have been in sales for over twenty years making a living and able to pay my bills. I am not afraid of work as long as their is an opportunity. My question is...with the advertising that AFLAC does, lead generation must be out there from home office? Because if there wasn't? Then the millions spent would be spent elsewhere! Who is receiving these leads? And are they supplying them to their associates? I was thinking about looking into AFLAC as an option; however, after reading a few of the things about saturating the market, cold calling with no leads, scares me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mitch in Mesa, Arizona

87 months ago

It appears Me in Richardson, Texas doesn't want to work. It's the typical "I want to be my own boss and set my own hours but I don't want to work too hard at it and I want to make good money but I also want someone to take care of poor little me" syndrome that everyone who has a negative opinion of AFLAC blogs on various boards. I bet these people were expecting sales to leap in to thier laps and start earning a six figure salary from the start. Note to the lazy: you have to work at this in order to succeed. If you actually put in 40 hours a week and made the effort and actually invested a litle time and money on yourself you will succeed. It's the people who do zero of thse things and expect to be successful that are constantly complaining on these types of boards instead of creating the lifestyle they want. Sad but so very true.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

me in Knoxville, Tennessee

87 months ago

Mitch in Mesa, Arizona said: It appears Me in Richardson, Texas doesn't want to work. It's the typical "I want to be my own boss and set my own hours but I don't want to work too hard at it and I want to make good money but I also want someone to take care of poor little me" syndrome that everyone who has a negative opinion of AFLAC blogs on various boards. I bet these people were expecting sales to leap in to thier laps and start earning a six figure salary from the start. Note to the lazy: you have to work at this in order to succeed. If you actually put in 40 hours a week and made the effort and actually invested a litle time and money on yourself you will succeed. It's the people who do zero of thse things and expect to be successful that are constantly complaining on these types of boards instead of creating the lifestyle they want. Sad but so very true.

you don't know what you are talking about. The individual in Richardson, TX WANTS to work for someone LEGITIMATE. They are CONSTANTLY hiring b/c of the high turnover. It is a business that AFLAC wants: they SELL YOU THE MATERIAL: basically, you have to pay to train yourself and then when you work your butt off, they keep your earnings and leave you with little.

What's SAD is that you think that the individual in Richardson TX doesn want to work at all. YOU HAVE NO IDEA OF THE SITUATION. JUST BECUASE PEOPLE DON'T WANT TO FALL FOR THE BS AT AFLAC DOESN'T MEAN THEY DON'T WANT TO WORK. RICHARDSON, TX IS WOKING FOR A LEGITMIATE CO AND HOME EACH NIGHT TO BE WITH HER FAMILY!!!!!!!!!!!

Why is Mitch compaiinng on thease type of boards instead of creating the lifestyle he wants? Sad but so very true!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Pattisue in Frisco in Frisco, Texas

87 months ago

I really don't see anything in Mitch's reply that say's he's NOT creating the lifestyle he wants. Let's suppose he is. I too am researching different avenues for making more than the average salary; but, it is absolutely clear to me that it will take an "entreprenure's" mentality. (Forgive me if I've spelled that wrong:)!) The truth is, if it's insurance, you are probably going to have to work some evenings and weekends, or if it's real estate the same holds true. But, let's face it, nothing happens until it's sold. Think about it -- everything has to be sold in some form or fashion. Sales is a very demanding vocation, unlike most others, I should know I've been in some form of marketing and/or sales almost all of my adult life and I'm 53 now. From my experience, it takes a particular type of personality to "enjoy" sales, just as it does for nurses, teachers, police, doctors, admin personnel, etc. The bottom line is, you have to do what you enjoy to be really successful. If you're making less money than you'd like and you hate your job; well life is just too short. I've thought about aflac; I believe their product does meet a certain need in society (which to me is crucial in weighing these issues). However I've decided to associate with a company that provides health and ancilliary benefits to small business that would not be able to afford them otherwise. I believe all the statistics support this supposition, that there is a huge need where health coverage is concerned for employees of small businesses. That's it in a nutshell also, find a niche where you can feel good and confident that you're filling a real need and that it's something you can whole heartedly believe in. If you're passionate about what you do, be it sales or anything else, then you stand a pretty good chance of being successful. I've also done non-profit fundraising (believe me that's sales for sure!) and special event facilitation, so I have a couple of things to fall back on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Tamara in Vancouver, Washington

87 months ago

Hi, Laurie. I just found this forum. I'm an Aflac agent in Portland, and I love what I do. I feel good when a claim is paid and I know I helped someone during a difficult time.

I worked for an agency in the past and I researched several options before coming to Aflac. I am still certain I made the right choice. I'm surprised at some of the postings. My training was excellent. I was told exactly what to expect. As far as reimbursements ... I was told upfront I would NOT be reimbursed for my licensing. My district coordinator went with me on several calls until I felt comfortable running on my own. She is still there for me when I need help with an account. Like most people in sales, I have difficult days - even difficult weeks. The reality is, I don't have to be here; I am free to move on whenever I choose. At this point, I am enjoying the business I have built and I choose to stay. Thanks for the Forum.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

Hi Tamara,
I used to respect this forum. I like learning the good and questionable of companies..but I have stoped posting because of the insanity of some of the recent posters. It is too bad that people can't be respectful of others choices.

I hope to meet you in person, maybe at the next state conference.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Colts Neck, New Jersey

87 months ago

Dear Laurie,

Sorry you feel that way about this forum but you are one of the reasons for this "insanity". People are looking to make difficult decisions on a career and you are not providing acurate information on this company. You speak like you are a recruiter...which you probably are. This is a telemarketing job. If you make it past the first 3 months good, if not, they don't care. Yes it's a good product but businesses don't want to get 15 calls a month from different indepentant agents from across the country!

It is not fair for you to question peoples work ethic. The company has a bad business model. Management doesn't care because they are getting a piece of the pie. There are other sales jobs out there that pay better and are better business models. That is what people are looking for in this forum...the truth without a company mouth, which you are (put down the pompoms we get that you love this company!)

This company has the highest agent turn over in the industry. FACT! It can't be just because people are lazy!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

ok, once more from me and that's enough. Someone's doing ok at Aflac or they wouldn't be in business FACT! And, it probably is for people like Laurie. Why can't people accept that there's got to be others doing well in something and just because you don't think it's a "good business model" doesn't make it a bad situation for everyone. This forum is about Aflac, if you don't like Aflac and you don't want to work for Aflac, buzz off. And what's with all of the potty mouth, really grow up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Me, just me in Orlando, Florida

87 months ago

Pattisue in Frisco in Frisco, Texas said: ok, once more from me and that's enough. Someone's doing ok at Aflac or they wouldn't be in business FACT!

So was ENRON, but we all know how that turned out. Well at least some of us know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

Dear Me, are suggesting that you have some inside information that says after 51 years in business that Aflac has resorted to siphoning employee benefit accounts, etc. ala Enron? Boy, I wish I had you xray eyes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Colts Neck, New Jersey

87 months ago

First of all, the heading for this forum is "Be Careful" so I won't buzz off. Secondly, I never used inappropriate language! I'm giving a counter point to those comments that paint a rosie picture of this career path. Do you work for this company? I thought you were job searching? I'm a working women that has been in sales most of my life and I gave them an opportunity. Why does agent drop out rates lead the industry?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.