For "POSITIVE, SUCCESSFUL" Aflac Agents ONLY!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (31)

Jan in Joliet, IL in Illinois

90 months ago

What do you vetreans of Aflac do for your family Health Insurance? Does anyone have the NAPA Health Plan? How is it? Any other ideas that can help us that are just starting and are looking forward to the challenge?

Thanks you,
Jan W. Nahorski
Joliet, IL

jacknash711@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

Question #2 - What Marketing techniques have worked for you? Can you give us some ideas as to what we should be doing to get in front of decision makers. Don't worry, we're all far enough apart that your "secret won't come back to hurt you. Consider it your act of compassion for which there is a place in Heaven for you. If not marketing tips how about habits that have worked for you? We can all learn from this if this blog is run right.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Janis Smith in New Haven, Connecticut

89 months ago

How to get in front of decision makers? Persistence. Creativity. A good personality; someone who can think quickly on their feet. Humor.

It's not easy work, but I've been at it for a decade now and it's paid for my house and put my children though college. Rejection is the name of the game; you will have to plough through the 'no's to get to the 'yes's. And in the beginning (ie. the first 12 months) you won't be very good at it. You'll get turned down, told the business is "all set", "not intersted", etc. And you won't know what to say...it's called 'countering and dealing with objections' and it takes time, practice and skill. You won't develop the talent to deal with it overnight.

Find some associates in a nearby state who are successfull...people who have been at it for at least 2 years and are writing at LEAST $150K in premium every year. Ask them politely if you can go out with them for 1/2 a day and observe. Don't be offended if they turn you down; but keep it at, and if you're respectful, you'll find someone who will let you tag along.

If you have a good DSC, USE them! Ask questions, go on enrollments just to observe, listen, observe and take notes. Practice your 'pitch' constantly, and I do mean CONSTANTLY. When you walk into a business 'cold' you have 5 seconds to try and sell yourself...to get ANOTHER five seconds. All sales works this way.

It's a tough game. And it rewards those who don't give up---no matter what. A product well made is half sold; and despite what anyone tells you, or what you may read, this is a good company with a very stable stock. Keep at it and work hard...you'll make it if you really want to.

One more comment: Sales is not for everyone. Some people just aren't cut out to handle the constant rejection that is a non-negotiable feature of this career path. If you find yourself absolutely hating what you do; if cold calling and public speaking cause you physical stress, then this is not for you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (74) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

89 months ago

Thank You, it is this kind of feedback that is invaluable to a newbee(even though I have sold insurance & other "stuff" before I'm new to the AFLAC game).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

makeyoumoney in Wentzville, Missouri

86 months ago

Jan in Joliet, IL in Illinois said: Thank You, it is this kind of feedback that is invaluable to a newbee(even though I have sold insurance & other "stuff" before I'm new to the AFLAC game).

Great Advice! Jan, take no prisoners. Call, Call and Knock and Knock...when you get tired, do it again. I provide FREE consultations and sales and marketing advice. I also have a marketing firm that only deals with Aflac Associates. Regardless if you use my company i provide marketing support for free only for Aflac Associates.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Rod J in Huntington, West Virginia

84 months ago

Makeyoumoney,

wondering how the Aflac business is for new agents...is the field too saturated with Aflac agents or is it still wide open?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Brandy789 in San Antonio, Texas

83 months ago

I just found this forum and I am so excited! I am a 59 yr old widow who is an AFLAC CUSTOMER! Considering a career change due to a recent injury.

I have had 2 accidents IN 6 YEARS where my AFLAC policies have kept me from living under a bridge HOMELESS!!

I have a great deal of experience in Sales and love Sales. I have vast experience/success in COLD CALLING on the phone! Imagine that! I have decades of public speaking experience.

I know in my heart I can sell AFLAC from my heart and my personal experience as a policy holder!

I am at a stage in my life personally where I would love to be able to set my own hours. I am prayerfully considering a career change.

Thanks from the bottom of my heart for all the input you experienced reps are posting!!!
What you are saying is confirming what I THOUGHT ALL ALONG about what life with AFLAC would be... so I am encouraged. I truely believe God is leading me in this CRUCIAL decision.

I have learned that, if I will keep my mouth shut and my eyes and ears open, God will more than happy to direct my path! LOL!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Tifsmith in Chula Vista, California

83 months ago

Janis Smith in New Haven, Connecticut said: How to get in front of decision makers? Persistence. Creativity. A good personality; someone who can think quickly on their feet. Humor.

It's not easy work, but I've been at it for a decade now and it's paid for my house and put my children though college. Rejection is the name of the game; you will have to plough through the 'no's to get to the 'yes's. And in the beginning (ie. the first 12 months) you won't be very good at it. You'll get turned down, told the business is "all set", "not intersted", etc. And you won't know what to say...it's called 'countering and dealing with objections' and it takes time, practice and skill. You won't develop the talent to deal with it overnight.

Find some associates in a nearby state who are successfull...people who have been at it for at least 2 years and are writing at LEAST $150K in premium every year. Ask them politely if you can go out with them for 1/2 a day and observe. Don't be offended if they turn you down; but keep it at, and if you're respectful, you'll find someone who will let you tag along.

If you have a good DSC, USE them! Ask questions, go on enrollments just to observe, listen, observe and take notes. Practice your 'pitch' constantly, and I do mean CONSTANTLY. When you walk into a business 'cold' you have 5 seconds to try and sell yourself...to get ANOTHER five seconds. All sales works this way.

It's a tough game. And it rewards those who don't give up---no matter what. A product well made is half sold; and despite what anyone tells you, or what you may read, this is a good company with a very stable stock. Keep at it and work hard...you'll make it if you really want to.

One more comment: Sales is not for everyone. Some people just aren't cut out to handle the constant rejection that is a non-negotiable feature of this career path. If you find yourself absolutely hating what you do; if cold calling and public speaking cause you physical stress,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tifsmith in Chula Vista, California

83 months ago

I would like to know what people do when they were new to Aflac or are new. More specifically, what challenges have you encountered and how did you overcome them? Yesterday and today were my first official days of going out to seeing businesses.
I will admit it's rough to plough through the no's. I got told no 28x total.

My DSC hasn't been very involved with me. So it's been a little frustrating when I read how other DSCs treat their new associates and how readily available they make themselves to them. Sorry, but is frustrating..=S

Also, out of the 28 businesses I went too, I got six follow ups and the most common reply back to me was the business owner is not in. Now, I follow the script and ask, when they are available what time is best to come in.... but what do you do if you can't get past this response and the time they give you for the boss to be in you aren't even entirely positive that they will be in at that time?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Carolyn Mora in Watsonville, California

82 months ago

I have been with Aflac for a few months now. At this time I am not making any money, but I am receiving awesome training. My DSC and RSC hold training meetings at least twice and sometimes three times a week. We are taught everything about the policies. Servicing clients is MAJOR with my trainers, and any behavior that does not show the highest standards of integrity is simply not tolerated. We are constantly reminded of our responsibility to our clients, as well as our obligations to keep the laws of our state commission. The trainers take you out on appointments, marketing contacts, send you to state traing with the SSC, all at their own expense. My insurance licensing and fees were paid by me, as well they should be for it is MY license to take anywhere I wish. By the way the "book" belongs to Aflac, not the sales associate. When my trainer takes me to one of her appointments so that I can observe employee or employer presentations, she always gives me a 30% split. So far, I have received about $500 in "free" money. The district does have all of the awards, trips, prizes, etc. as incentive, but the most important is the support I get from my team members. No one will allow me to give up. No one will allow negative thinking. Anyone will go at anytime marketing or presenting to encourage me. I feel sorry for all of you swimming with the sharks. As my RSC said,"the only one holding you back from success is yourself." By the way, if the paperwork is done properly, no one can "steal an account". This is a worthwhile company fulfilling a real need, times are hard and this is an opportunity. Best of Everything,
Carolyn

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rasheedab in Chicago, Illinois

75 months ago

makeyoumoney in Wentzville, Missouri said: Great Advice! Jan, take no prisoners. Call, Call and Knock and Knock...when you get tired, do it again. I provide FREE consultations and sales and marketing advice. I also have a marketing firm that only deals with Aflac Associates. Regardless if you use my company i provide marketing support for free only for Aflac Associates.

I have been trying to find makeyoumoney in Wentzville, Missouri:
your website and phone number doesn't work (or it points to someone other than what you have said you are about). I notice all your posts are at least 9 months old. Have you stopped helping aflac agents? If not, is there another way to reach you?
Not entirely turned off yet
if your service will help

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Aflac partner in St Louis, Missouri

68 months ago

As an independant agent I partner with Aflac agents to increase their service to their clients and therefore persistancy, satisfaction etc. As I work with the highly motivated, hard working agents that succeed at Aflac we have added between 10-15k to their bottom line just by asking a couple questions at the end of a service call. I think one of the biggest reasons agents fail is a myopic vision of how to run THEIR practice. Aflac is a great company at what they do but why leave money on the table for someone else to scoop up?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

wilsonte in pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

67 months ago

I am considering becoming an agent or a broker with aflac. Are there any fees associated with becoming an agent or a broker? I don’t have an issue with the fees, as we all know there are fees associated with any business. I’m just curious as to what they are. Also if anyone can tell me what the difference between a broker and an agent is, as it appears to be two different opportunities on the Aflac website.
Another concern is that areas have already been saturated with aflac reps. If anyone would be able to assist that would be great, I currently have the policy myself and like the company thus far and would like to help others in their times of need.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

HappyAflacVet in Providence, Rhode Island

67 months ago

Hi Wilsonte: I think I can answer your question. There are no fees that you have to pay to Aflac in order to be contracted with them to sell their products. You do have to pass the licensing exam for Health and Life, and that expense varies state by state. The agent is responsible for this expense, but it can be written off as a business expense. All training is free, as are any materials you need to sell the products, like brochures, outlines of coverage, field sales guides, etc.

Your concern about saturation of agents is one that I've heard ever since I joined Aflac 9 years ago. There are always new businesses opening up, and since Aflac doesn't have any assigned territories, you can sell anywhere you hold a license. A lot of people worry that there are 'too many agents' or that an area is 'saturated' but the numbers just don't indicate that this is true. In my state, penetration is less than 5 percent.

It's not an easy job; be prepared to struggle your first year. There is a lot of rejection, and you have to get used to just putting in our time and working a full day, every day, even if it is hard and sometimes unpleasant. It IS doable, however, (don't listen to the naysayers here; I"m living proof that you can have no experience in insurance and still be sucessful.) I didn't use any 'warm' market...no friends or family..I cold called my way 60% of my accounts, and the other 40% were referrals from those 60...Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

New2theForce in Buffalo, New York

65 months ago

Dave Pruitt in Baltimore, Maryland said: Aflac is like stock brokerage--you can make a lot of money, or waste time. You have a passion for it, and as someone whow anted to start their onw business at 20 and was good, business-savvy, math-savvy, and beleived in it, I made a life for myself. At 18 i worked constructionn, making maybe $10 an hour as a laborer. At 21 I hope to hit six digits--$100k a year--and give back to my community. It can be life-changing---BUT GET A GOOD OFFICE. DO your research. i'm in marriottsville md, which is the best office in the coutnry from what i've seen. There are some bad agents out there, and some good ones. Get in with the good ones. :0) Best of luck ma'am.

How are the offices in Buffalo, NY?? That's where I have my interview!...tomorrow! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Melissa in Carlsbad, California

58 months ago

I would be curious to know how the economy/unemployment has effected your business. Also, how you think the new healthcare reform will effect it. Also, I talked to one large company that said they are hounded at least 1 x per month by different sales agents. Non-exclusive territories with dedicated agents seems to be a negative for the customer. Do you agree?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

It's a fair question. Of course the economy has affected business, but there are positives and negatives. One of the negatives is, of course, that businesses are closing their doors. But the upside is that there aren't as many agents to compete with. This sort of economy 'separates the men from the boys' so to speak.

There isn't any magic here, folks. I read all these comments from people wanting specific answers to questions: when is the best time to call on a business; what about other agents; wouldn't it be better if there were assigned territories...etc, etc, etc.

The bottom line is, Aflac is not going to change the way it is doing business (at least not because one or even 10 agents disagree with the sales model). If you don't like the 'open territories' concept, then go work someplace else. Spend less time criticizing the company and more time getting your fanny out there and talking to people. When do you call on companies? Whenever you can. Whenever works. There is no 'forumula' or 'secret' that successful associates are hiding. It's just plain hard work. You dress professionally, learn your products so well you know them from memory, and then its practice, practice, practice.

I can't even tell people what sales techniques will work for them, because different regions have styles that are unique to them. What works for me in the Northeast may be seen as too blunt and "up-front" in the genteel South. You just do it. You get out there, walk and talk until you're hoarse and tired and then you get up and do it again the next day. And every day, five days a week, until you get it right.

That's all I can really say. If you're motivated enough and you want it bad enough, you WILL make it. I've seen a ton of people come and go in the past decade and the overwhelming majority of those who failed did so because they started trying to reinvent everything. The successes literally 'refused to lose'. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

Health insurance is tough. You are pretty much the owner of your own business..you don't so much 'work for Aflac' as you simply sell their products. For major medical, you do the best you can. Go for as high a deductible as you can reasonably accomodate financially, and keep yourself healthy. We're in insurance, so we see first hand what happens to people who ignore their health. When you're in your 20's, you can get away with reckless behavior. But anyone over 30 who still smokes, drinks too much, and doesn't watch their health is asking for trouble...Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Trisha in Virginia Beach, Virginia

58 months ago

I am new to Aflac, I'm taking my test tomorrow. Can somebody explain to me what happens from there? I know I go to state school at the end of the month...is that just for 3 days? And once I train for that week am I on my own? Or is there more training?

56 months ago

Trisha in Virginia Beach, Virginia said: I am new to Aflac, I'm taking my test tomorrow. Can somebody explain to me what happens from there? I know I go to state school at the end of the month...is that just for 3 days? And once I train for that week am I on my own? Or is there more training?

Trish: You're District Coordinator should have all that info for you. And you will learn some of it in Sales School.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jim Jones in Cockeysville, Maryland

43 months ago

Janis Smith in New Haven, Connecticut said: How to get in front of decision makers? Persistence. Creativity. A good personality; someone who can think quickly on their feet. Humor.

One more comment: Sales is not for everyone. Some people just aren't cut out to handle the constant rejection that is a non-negotiable feature of this career path. If you find yourself absolutely hating what you do; if cold calling and public speaking cause you physical stress, t

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

317NewDuck in indianapolis, Indiana

39 months ago

Remember its s numbers game I am also new 7 weeks in and 3 weeks into my awards. The first two weeks were hard no after no but I had to learn it wasnt personal typically the highest percentage to get the appt is on your 5th approach on 10% of agents go back in but 80% of business is written after the 5th approach. Stay positive and if you feel the no's are draining you take a break or switch up or prospecting list to another street or instead of working from the top of your list take lunch switch to the bottom of your list. It will pay off I hate prospecting its the worst part of the job but guess what after I talked to seasoned agents they all hate prospecting too but you have to get past that part to get to the fun part. It may seem like those 28 prospects will not pay off but in three to four weeks it will add up to money someone will say yes. Also I learned to dress professionally just a step above the business you visit smile and even if the DM says no always ask to follow up in weeks to months no is never no.

Michael Axel in Redmond, Oregon

39 months ago

If you're a sales person, you're going to like Aflac. They are not slick sales people, just professional. Janis has the process nailed. If you are good natured, and can make yourself laugh before you go into a prospect, have confidence, and realize you work for one of the best companies in the company (and use this to your advantage), you'll be great. I also though Burgess' book (amazon.com) was a very good technique, and I use a combination of his approach, and the sales script.

Jan in Joliet, IL in Illinois said: Thank You, it is this kind of feedback that is invaluable to a newbee(even though I have sold insurance & other "stuff" before I'm new to the AFLAC game).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

leftu2008 in San Antonio, Texas

33 months ago

Carolyn Mora in Watsonville, California said: I have been with Aflac for a few months now. At this time I am not making any money, but I am receiving awesome training. My DSC and RSC hold training meetings at least twice and sometimes three times a week. We are taught everything about the policies. Servicing clients is MAJOR with my trainers, and any behavior that does not show the highest standards of integrity is simply not tolerated. We are constantly reminded of our responsibility to our clients, as well as our obligations to keep the laws of our state commission. The trainers take you out on appointments, marketing contacts, send you to state traing with the SSC, all at their own expense. My insurance licensing and fees were paid by me, as well they should be for it is MY license to take anywhere I wish. By the way the "book" belongs to Aflac, not the sales associate . When my trainer takes me to one of her appointments so that I can observe employee or employer presentations, she always gives me a 30% split. So far, I have received about $500 in "free" money. The district does have all of the awards, trips, prizes, etc. as incentive, but the most important is the support I get from my team members. No one will allow me to give up. No one will allow negative thinking. Anyone will go at anytime marketing or presenting to encourage me. I feel sorry for all of you swimming with the sharks. As my RSC said,"the only one holding you back from success is yourself." By the way, if the paperwork is done properly, no one can "steal an account ". This is a worthwhile company fulfilling a real need, times are hard and this is an opportunity. Best of Everything,
Carolyn

I wish ALL DSC and RSC were like this. So far, ours in this region does NOT do this. I would feel so much better and have more confidence in doing this if I had that type of STRONG support. We have support....but not enough to make a difference. Best of luck to you.

Randy in Richmond, California

29 months ago

makeyoumoney in Wentzville, Missouri said: Great Advice! Jan, take no prisoners. Call, Call and Knock and Knock...when you get tired, do it again. I provide FREE consultations and sales and marketing advice. I also have a marketing firm that only deals with Aflac Associates. Regardless if you use my company i provide marketing support for free only for Aflac Associates.

Makeyoumoney-

I'm interested in learning more about your business. Where can we contact you?

EC in Asheville, North Carolina

10 months ago

I have a question. As an independent Aflac agent, I've been presented with an opportunity to sell BCBS major medical insurance through another company independently during open enrollment beginning this November. Is this allowed? Aflac doesn't offer major medical, so i wouldn't be competing with their product line... Most of my current clients have no major medical and would like it.

Sparkly1 in Raleigh, North Carolina

6 months ago

I am a newbie at aflac and would love some help! lkutzer@gmail.com

quackMaryaflac in Mentor, Ohio

6 months ago

Rod J in Huntington, West Virginia said: Makeyoumoney,

wondering how the Aflac business is for new agents...is the field too saturated with Aflac agents or is it still wide open?

Considering that I've walked into over a hundred business in my small city who Don't have AFLAC, I'd say there's room for all. I think you may face saturation in a larger, more populous city (Cleveland, Columbus, LA) but still there are enough small - medium businesses in every town to provide opportunities to all of us. My biggest trouble is I'm tongue - tied. "Oh Don't use a script" is All I hear. Well, I don't know what TO say so I end up fumbling. Last call I fumbled so much I got really rattled and forgot what company I work for. Hep a lady out, gimme some kinda script to start with. I can fine tune it later!

6 months ago

in Ohio you would have to become a broker to do that. If you know of a broker, it would be great to set up a partnership with them!

6 months ago

Trisha in Virginia Beach, Virginia said: I am new to Aflac, I'm taking my test tomorrow. Can somebody explain to me what happens from there? I know I go to state school at the end of the month...is that just for 3 days? And once I train for that week am I on my own? Or is there more training?

how ya doin? I'm just new and I'm pretty sure I was crazy to take this on-

Lisa in Maryland in Mount Prospect, Illinois

2 months ago

Thanks for the advice ! I am new to all of this and am wondering what the best way to make a few sales.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.