How to get a job at AFLAC.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 120)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Katherine in Plano in Plano, Texas

90 months ago

I started with Aflac in June of this year. It is not an easy job. You get what you put into it. I went thru alot of struggles and doubts but now I am killing it. I work in the Dallas market and there are no shortage of leads here. I love everything about this company and what they do. The commissions are great and they are constantly running incentive contests that are attainable. I have already won a trip to Shreveport, LA with my room, food and gambling money for two! I am already on target to win another trip.

I would like to respond to the person that feels Aflac should sit around and wait for people to call them rather than cold call. Alot of companies have no idea what Aflac does. They think the we are major medical and they have money out of pocket. Aflac is supplemental and costs the employer no out of pocket to offer it to their employees. So there is a need to call them.

I cannot say enough wonderful things about Aflac but it is not for everyone. You must be self motivated and want to succeed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Josh in Bloomington, Indiana

90 months ago

Katherine in Plano in Plano, Texas said:
I cannot say enough wonderful things about Aflac but it is not for everyone. You must be self motivated and want to succeed.

My favourite right there...seems as though you're pretty sold on the rhetoric you've been fed...but if I was in your position I suppose I would be too, to an extent. But allow me to address a few of your statements:

"I work in the Dallas market and there are no shortage of leads here."

Hmm let's see...major city with huge economic growth versus small town Indiana...not much of a stretch...ahh, too easy.

"The commissions are great and they are constantly running incentive contests that are attainable."

Yeah, they're awesome...as long as the policyholders hang on to it past the probationary period...you've obviously little experience with a little thing called a CHARGEBACK...and why do you think they have to run contests anyway? That's the only way to keep people motivated.

"I would like to respond to the person that feels Aflac should sit around and wait for people to call them rather than cold call."

Uhh wha?! Are you oblivious to the fact that AFLAC absolutely stinks at marketing? Think about it...you said yourself that "alot of companies have no idea what Aflac does". Well, that's because they rely on a very outdated mode of marketing that does not reach a broader audience and does not send a clear message...all Joe Consumer sees is that silly duck....here's the average Aflac commercial: AFLAC AFLAC AFLAC AFLAC!!! (Voiceover): AFLAC. Ask about it at work. No wonder nobody knows just what it is they do. So my point is, just what would be so wrong about holding marketing events where people congregate...you know, set up a booth and watch em come in...get referrals and all that good stuff.

See what happens when you think outside the box and not allow yourself to be sold on blind rhetoric, Katherine?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

RSIMMS in Chicago, Illinois

90 months ago

Hello everyone, I'm not here to bash any person comments I justed wanted to share my experience with being an INDEPENDENT Agent with AFLAC. It's going on a year for me, I'm having some success with it because I understand what business market I want to tarket. Either it's from one particular business market or business from Direct sells. Also I don't see myself as a sales person I see myself as a educator because so many people are unaware of what Aflac products do. I look to educate first to increase the NEED. NO ONE wants to be sold to.

It's all what you put into it, yeah I don't agree with the hiring of so many agent because this business is not for everyone. But I can't worry about that all I can do is stay focus on the GOALS and the PLAN I wrote down for myself. I learned that from one Agent by the name of Donna Brown who lives in a small town called Greenville, Mississippi. Just to share her story with those agents who just started working for Aflac, Mrs. Brown has written over $250,000 dollars in direct sales in just over six months with Aflac. Her goal was to make atleast one Direct sale a day, she would not go home until she met her goal. I wanted to share her story because I know that when we get started with Aflac there is a strong focus on getting groups or getting that big score. My advice work on the small things like Directs build your client base there and then work your way up. Believe it or not but to me Directs is a quicker way to make money in this business. For those of you who are looking at Aflac for the first time and don't know what I mean when I say Directs, Directs are Individuals either a friend or a family member that you sold a Aflac product to.

The Best of Luck to all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

I have been in sales for over 8 years. I know the value of marketing. If you have noticed, the Aflac commercials are touching more on the fact that they pay cash to the individual. Having events, getting a booth and referrals are all wonderful ideas and I use them. There is still a need to make calls. I agree with rsimms that there is a need to educate them. You have obviously had a bad experience and were not a success and I am sorry about that. It is not for everyone. I hope you can move past this and calm down.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Josh in Bloomington in Morgantown, Indiana

90 months ago

Katherine in Plano in Plano, Texas said: Having events, getting a booth and referrals are all wonderful ideas and I use them. There is still a need to make calls. I agree with rsimms that there is a need to educate them. You have obviously had a bad experience and were not a success and I am sorry about that. It is not for everyone. I hope you can move past this and calm down.

Oh, trust me I have moved past it as you put it. I'm working on an accounting degree so I can get a real job...and after I get my CPA I'll be basically set for life.

But in all fairness answer me one thing: does AFLAC pay for your marketing efforts? Probably not. They just load you up with warm fuzzy feel-good notions and send you on your way. Sure you can write it off on your taxes but that's not even guaranteed...along with all the petrol you've burned and the tyres you've probably worn bald.

You're also correct in assuming that AFLAC was not for me...I learned that in the first few weeks. They're just like any other job of this nature, only you're not selling diet pills. The comments I've read on this board and heard from other dogmatics all read the same no matter what measly 1099 job you have..."Some are more comfotable[sic] with knowing exactly how much they're going to make every week...those salary jobs have a ceilling[sic] and my job has no roof...do what's best for you but remember if you are going to try it GIVE IT YOUR ALL. THEN give it some more and success is guaranteed to follow. Don't meet quotas bust through them, if its not working try harder. Get focused, Get better, Get PAID!"

They range from this pretty much all-encompassing example to the warm and fuzzy 1/10,000 success story like the lady in MS or where ever it was. Seriously, these read like those "Success" and "Perserverence" posters they put up inside the manager's office at a used car lot...and they're about as helpful. Would a little objectivity kill you all?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

I think the whole point here is you are the one that is being closed minded. I can accept that Aflac does not work for you. You cannot seem the accept that it DOES work for some people. You say you have moved passed it but it seems like you are still pretty fired up about the whole thing. I wish you the best of luck in your new career as I am loving mine. Lets just agree to disagree.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

AFLAC in Frisco, Texas

90 months ago

Christina said: I'm due for an interview tomorrow....all I did was reply to their job posting and sent my resume. I do not have any exceptional sales experience, and they still called. I've been doing some research, and the reviews are pretty much fifty-fifty...I guess you have to pay for some of your training. We shall soon see. Good Luck to you!

These jobs are generally 100% commission. You are a individual marketing their company with no benefits provided. There are 1000's of people coming & going.

I've spoken to 3 different locations - offices in 3 years... and others call regularly.

There will be no saftey net at all if business doesn't boom. You will not have a ramp-up or similar "get-started" gas fund or pay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Stan in Laurel, Maryland

89 months ago

I'm looking for information on Aflac's Human Resources Internship. What it actually involves and whether or not its worth doing. If anyone knows the details behind it or has participated in it and is willing to share that would be helpful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

PJ966 in Benton, Arkansas

87 months ago

By the way, they do offer vision and dental insurance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

mitch dedios in new rochell, New York

85 months ago

i'm looking foword to getting my licence

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mikearrick in Poughkeepsie, New York

85 months ago

Please tell me if working for Aflac is the right thing.

I owned my own business and love sales !
open to anybody comments thinking about going aboard in april !
studying for my state test now !
mikeny845@gmail.com for personal comments !

Thanks in advance
mike

RumRunner in Parkesburg, Pennsylvania

85 months ago

J_THE_MAN in Manassas, Virginia said: Well cold calling isn't for everyone and if you are going to take on a job such as AFLAC you must go through several changes that most people are not comfortable with making. First you have to start everyday with a positive attitude no matter what because there's is a need for the product. You must target your cold calling to suit your needs but keep in mind that everyone does not want the product but don't take it personally and internalize rejection. If you don't really believe in your product don't sell it.[QUOTE]

J,
I have an interview with Aflac in Centreville, VA. Can you give me an idea of what the market is like in that area?

GARY EDWARDS in Portland, Oregon

82 months ago

Laurie in Portland, Oregon said: Hi,
I Love working for AFLAC. You can have as much training or as little as you choose! There is at least 4 days of training in a classroom setting, but you REALLY do want to attend it..you learn alot!!! You will make as much as you want..and that is the key..as you want!! There are so many ways to make the sales..and the best thing is that you really have a great product..my favorite is the accident as well as the jumping juvenal policies..Life is good too!

But if you do not have the inner drive and don't feel like working to make what you want..then it really isn't for you!

I was a real estate agent for 10 years..in different markets...this is so much better, more fun, easier and quicker money!

I have the best job in the world!

You really should take a look at it! You will be extremely glad you did!!

lAURIE COULD YOU PLEASE EMAIL ME,I HAVE SOME QUESTIONS.

SHARIY in Rio Rancho, New Mexico

80 months ago

I'M LOOKING FOR A JOB

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

SHARIY in Rio Rancho, New Mexico

80 months ago

Christina said: I'm due for an interview tomorrow....all I did was reply to their job posting and sent my resume. I do not have any exceptional sales experience, and they still called. I've been doing some research, and the reviews are pretty much fifty-fifty...I guess you have to pay for some of your training. We shall soon see. Good Luck to you!

IAM INTERESTED IN AFLAC WHAT IS IT THAT YOU DO AND WHAT DO THEY PAY AND AT WHAT COST IS IT FOR YOU? IS IT A SALES JOB? IM CONFUSED

jess smith in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

80 months ago

you dont get benifits do you working for them??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tom in New Prague, Minnesota

78 months ago

I Love working for AFLAC. You can have as much training or as little as you choose! There is at least 4 days of training in a classroom setting, but you REALLY do want to attend it..you learn alot!!! You will make as much as you want..and that is the key..as you want!! There are so many ways to make the sales..and the best thing is that you really have a great product..my favorite is the accident as well as the jumping juvenal policies..Life is good too!

But if you do not have the inner drive and don't feel like working to make what you want..then it really isn't for you!

I was a real estate agent for 10 years..in different markets...this is so much better, more fun, easier and quicker money!

I am a Realtor and am looking for something else. Can you tell me what the average person makes the first second and third year?

Thanks,

Tom

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

bluegrass_green in mid-south

75 months ago

I just received a phone message from AFLAC -- they found my resume on Monster as well. I'm not looking for sales jobs.

From all that I've read online, though, I'm going to steer clear from them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

KDM in Los Angeles, California

73 months ago

Host said: Do you work at AFLAC? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

What are AFLAC'S hiring procedures? Do they require a pre-employment drug test or physical? Do they run a background check and verify references?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

REINA MALDONADO in Chicago, Illinois

72 months ago

YOU KNOW WHAT, I HAVE TO DO THE TRAINING IN OVERAL IS $368 TOTAL AND THEY GIVE ME A $300 BONUS WHETHER I PASS IT OR NOT, YOU DONT LOOSE NO MONEY FOR THIS TEST. I GUESS YOU GOTTA BE GOOD IN MAKING SALES AND BE GOOD WELL COMUNNICATED WITH PEOPLE. I GUESS IT WILL BE EASIER FOR ME TO GET ALOT OF COMMISION FOR BEING BILINGUAL BECAUSE NOW DAYS MORE HISPANICS ARE BASICALLY LOOKING FOR INSURANCES TO COVER THEIR BILLS AND STUFF. IF YOU DONT LIKE IT THEN YOU COULD ALWAYS QUIT, WHY DO SOMETHING THAT YOU WONT LIKE OR THAT YOU THINK YOU WONT BE GOOD AT IT??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

johnkukulica in Reno, Nevada

72 months ago

Host said: Do you work at AFLAC? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

I had a friend who works for them who asked me to try. It is a great company selling a needed and valuable product.

Dave Pruitt in Baltimore, Maryland

72 months ago

Agreed. I'm 20 and professional but uneducated formally. Very knowledgeable, exceptionally well self-educated, and very business-savvy. I make great money and it's changed my life especially in this economy. YOU DON'T HAVE TO BUY YOUR OWN LAPTOP. You SHOULD have a computer, but not, like, aflac-brand or something. It makes things easier. In md I have to pay aflac nothing, and It's very easy to sign up 3-4 employees a week. I got about 100 in four days, and I've been there a month. You have an EXCELLENT opportunity, but it IS hard to start up. It' WORTH IT, and in a good office you won't get thrown to the wolves, I've been there over a month and I've got a mentor who still goes through everything ofr me (and she doesn't get anything from my commiss., she didn't hire me. SHe just volunteered!) :0)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Eddie N in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

67 months ago

Dave Pruitt in Baltimore, Maryland said: Don't be a jackass. I'm 20 and have no college, and will make your annual salary in 3 months owkring for aflac, so it's not Aflac, it's you. You weren't a good match for them. SOme people are, some people arent. I've only been with them a little while too. And don't "I have a brown belt" anyone. I've got a 2nd degree black belt in Tang Soo Do, a 1st degree in Tae Kwon Do, and am close to a black belt in NInjitsu, Taejitsu, and was a championship fighter for five years. I know that modesty is important, and I've been successful. I have an IQ of 180 and am eligable for Promethius Society, and I've seen idiots make great $$$ at aflac.
"The optimist believes we live in the best possible world. The pessimist fears this is true."

Having a 180 IQ would make you one of the smartest people on the planet, yet you failed to spell “eligible” and “Prometheus” correctly. 180 IQ....sure.

I guess you really signed up 100 employees in four days too....yea right.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

dealsnreels in Daytona Beach, Florida

63 months ago

Ira G Katz in Jacksonville, Florida said: Wow. Not only do you not know how to spell, you are rather obnoxious as well.
If you are what AFLAK represents I will not pursue this sales effort. Not everyone wants or can sell. I have never tried this profession but I have been told I could try it. I would NEVER put anyone down or criticize them for any failures. At least they did attempt it. Maybe you should try taking grammer lessons.

Aflac not AFLAK right?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Dave Pruitt in Baltimore, Maryland said: Don't be a jackass. I'm 20 and have no college, and will make your annual salary in 3 months owkring for aflac, so it's not Aflac, it's you. You weren't a good match for them. SOme people are, some people arent. I've only been with them a little while too. And don't "I have a brown belt" anyone. I've got a 2nd degree black belt in Tang Soo Do, a 1st degree in Tae Kwon Do, and am close to a black belt in NInjitsu, Taejitsu, and was a championship fighter for five years. I know that modesty is important, and I've been successful. I have an IQ of 180 and am eligable for Promethius Society, and I've seen idiots make great $$$ at aflac.
"The optimist believes we live in the best possible world. The pessimist fears this is true."

The spellcheck is a button on the tab,i.q. of 180?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Eddie N in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: Having a 180 IQ would make you one of the smartest people on the planet, yet you failed to spell “eligible” and “Prometheus” correctly. 180 IQ....sure.

I guess you really signed up 100 employees in four days too....yea right.

Ah spell heck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Ira G Katz in Jacksonville, Florida said: Wow. Not only do you not know how to spell, you are rather obnoxious as well.
If you are what AFLAK represents I will not pursue this sales effort. Not everyone wants or can sell. I have never tried this profession but I have been told I could try it. I would NEVER put anyone down or criticize them for any failures. At least they did attempt it. Maybe you should try taking grammer lessons.

Grammar not grammer

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Please use the ABC spellcheck button -it's more professional.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Diamond in Pearl, Mississippi

54 months ago

How much do you have to pay before you can start working for Aflac.

ProfessionalAdvancement in Orange, Virginia

53 months ago

FoonTheElder said: The supplemental products that Aflac offers are comparable to its competition, Colonial, Assurant, etc. As Aflac benefits are employee paid, they are generally not as big priority in larger companies, as they are not part of the budget expense.

The best way to approach a Benefits Manager is to send them information, follow up and ask to be considered as part of their next quote on their benefit program, which is ususally every couple of years. You may not get any response, because it is likely that someone else has been there first, or they already have a relationship with a similar agent or company.

I am also a Life & Health agent. I am now working in the accounting department of a large, national insurance brokerage, who also sells Aflac (as well as its competitors). You need to realize that all of your competition has access to practically all of the same insurance providers that you do. That is why limiting yourself to Aflac significantly narrows your options. Aflac appears to be hiring people who are unfamiliar with the insurance business. You will soon find that you have a great deal of competition. If you are a contractor, you are the one taking all of the risk & I wouldn't recommend that you put all of your eggs in a narrow basket, like Aflac.

I don't know if you have a contract that limits you to Aflac, but Aflac offers your well financed competition the same options.

Finally an explanation for the discrepancy between new recruits' enthusiasm for the products and company, AFLAC, but the lack of enthusiasm for income levels annually because the entire industry can sell it, too. These companies are well-financed and receive the same benefit from selling it as the disproportionately-financed individual. The imbalance is furthered by the lack of product options to sell compared to insurance companies and even individual agents who sell insurance products + suppl. insur products. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

ProfessionalAdvancement in Orange, Virginia

53 months ago

Stan in Laurel, Maryland said: I'm looking for information on Aflac's Human Resources Internship. What it actually involves and whether or not its worth doing. If anyone knows the details behind it or has participated in it and is willing to share that would be helpful.

The HR Dept = the District Sales Agents who are trained to headhunt.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

HappyAflacVet in Providence, Rhode Island

52 months ago

Well, that is not really accurate. Do District Sales Coordinators (you got the title wrong) want to recruit new associates? Of course! But depending on the size of the state or region, some areas have people who are dedicated recruiters. They do nothing but answer resumes, conduct interviews, etc.

To say that this is a 'job' in the traditional sense would be incorrect. You do not work for anyone but yourself. You're an independent producer, selling Aflac products, for which they pay you a commission. It's a cross between owning your own business outright (and having to pay for all the overhead, like advertising, materials, etc) and working FOR someone.

There is a tremendous amount of negativity on the Internet about working for/with/alongside of/whatever Aflac. I think this stems from the fact that people think this is a 9-5 job with a regular paycheck and a cublicle. It is NOT.

You must have a producers license in order to sell any health or life insurance. Yes, that is something you must pay for yourself, but I can speak for my own District...if you work hard and hit your first 13 week sales goals, the DSC I am under will GLADLY reimburse you for the cost of your license.

Aflac collects NO money from your licensing fees; it's strictly between you and the state in which you reside.

Now, from the point on, you must prospect for new clients. It's old-fashioned selling; no telemarketing (at least no in my area), no email-blasts, or sending hundreds of faxes to people you've never met.

You dress professionally, get in your car, armed with a list of qualified business prospects (Aflac pays for an internet based program that will let you create your own prospect lists, and your manager prunes them for already-existing accounts.) You then introduce yourself to the business owner and ask for an appointment.

Is this done by yourself? Of course not! For your first 3-6 months, you have a veteran associate or DSC with you..cont..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

continued...

This is a BIG job; it requires a lot of knowledge about a variety of different things. You will NOT get rich in the first 6 months, and any one who looks on this as a get-wealthy-fast scheme is going to be disappointed.

Simply put, there are no short-cuts to building real wealth. It takes hard work, sacrifice, experience, knowledge, and the abilty to motivate yourself. There are absolutely wonderful people who will NOT do well at this 'position.'

In order to be a successful associate (in MY opinion, and I've got a decade of success as an Aflac rep), the following qualities are MANDATORY:

1. Able to handle a LOT of rejection. There is cold calling in this job. You should also use networking; people you know. But they may say 'no.' You must be able to shrug the rejection off and KEEP ON GOING. If someone turning you down absolutely crushes you and you have to go home early, this is NOT GOOD. And you needn't feel guilty about it; most people don't like being rejected...it takes a very particular kind of personality to be unaffected by negative reactions.

2. Self-starter. This is huge. There is no one looking at a time clock to make sure you start your day at 8:00 am. We are conditioned our entire lives to abide a schedule created FOR US. This job requires you to create your OWN, and stick to it, no matter what. It's not as easy as it sounds!

3. Public speaking. Fear of speaking in front of groups of people is incredibly common. You don't just have to be unafraid; you have to be REALLY good at giving presentations. Engaging, funny, charming, able to think on your feet. I've trained dozens of newbies who were motivated, smart, honest people, but they had major panic attacks when they had to give a presentation...and ultimately they failed as Aflac reps (BUT...there is a unique solution to this challenge...more about that in a minute.)

continued...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

continued/pt III

4. Likability: Aflac has great policies. Properly understood, and handled correctly, they are a dream (every complaint I've ever read from a claimant, WITHOUT EXCEPTION, is because they didn't understand what they bought, or had an agent who dropped the ball..luckily this is very rare.) But everything starts with YOU being a likable character to the prospective client. If you're a negative, pessimistic, extremely meek person, how in the world are you going to sell anything? You are the point of contact the customer has with the company. If they don't like you, they won't want to see you again. Simply put, you have to be someone the client enjoys talking to.

I'm honestly astonished by the amount of sour grapes I read from folks who didn't succeed at Aflac. Not everyone can do this job, and it doesn't mean you are a failure or the company is a scam. It just means this isn't the right profession for you. I was a high school teacher before I worked for Aflac. I had tenure, a union, guaranteed pay-scale, benefits, short days, and summers off. Most people would think it was a DREAM job. But I hated it! No matter how hard I worked or how many hours I put in, my paycheck was the same. And that bothered me. Really, really bothered me. I desparately need to be able to control how much money I make...and to be REWARDED monetarily when I 'do good.' I'm entrepreneurial in nature, but didn't have the big bucks required to start my own brick-and-mortar business.

At Aflac, I don't pay a dime for the advertising...it's free to the reps. All my brochures, outlines of coverage, site-sellers, are also free. I can choose to purchase quacking ducks and hand them out as sales incentives...but I also get to write it off on my taxes. PLUS the revenue generated by the sale of those plush ducks goes directly to Aflac Children's Cancer Center---a really, really good cause.

continued one more time...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

finally..

I use a computer I purchased from Aflac (containing specialized propriety software) to sell the policies. But for every application I submit, I'm credited back a portion of the monthly charge. Honestly...I've owned over 4 computers and never had to pay one red cent on any of them.

I hate it when I read things like "Aflac is a scam." Nothing could be more FALSE. Last week my 22 year old daughter suffered an injury at work (she has the Aflac Personal Accident Plan)...she spent 4 hours in a hospital ER and had a follow up doctor's appointment the next day. She scanned the paperwork she was given and emailed it to me. I filed it that day. Within 3 days, a check was issued for $155; $120 for the initial visit and $35 for the dr's appointment. She was thrilled. How is that a scam?

One more example, for people still having doubts: Take a look at a program called Maximum Difference. It's an indemnity plan for the care and management of cancer. The only requirement for purchasing it, is that you haven't been treated for any internal cancer in the previous 5 years (so cancer survivors can purchase it; at the SAME rate as anyone else.) Cancer is a DEVASTATINGLY expensive illness; the out-of-pocket costs bankrupt most families. This plan pays cash directly to the policyholder, and children under the age of 26 are covered at NO COST.

I've eye-witnessed how important this plan is to families if cancer strikes. There is no cap on benefits...in fact, the pay-outs often end up being the only money that cancer victim's families have to LIVE ON. The cost? $16.12 per MONTH if you are 35 years old and part of a payroll group. It can also be purchased direct...the cost is only $3 higher per month.

I welcome any questions about my experiences with Aflac. Integrity and honesty are very important to me, and I'm incredibly proud to represent this company.

Okay...for anyone who had patience enough to read my little 'series'..thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Resilient in Wilmington, Delaware

52 months ago

How successful can Aflac be if they are CONSTANTLY recruting agents? Must be high turnover. Why have I received telephone solicitation calls to work for Aflac on a Sunday? Something doesn't pass the "smell" test here. Like the old folks say, "All that Glitters Isn't Gold."

This is in my opinion of course, but, I truly believe Aflac "Pimps" their reps out and the managers only make money when the reps do. Prudential, Metlife, and NY Life all do the same thing. Almost seems as if you are a battery that is waiting to be used and when they are done with you, they throw you out. I was laid off from corporate America and I pray to God that my endeavors help me to NEVER go back to the lies, greed, and deception. If anyone does not like what I just said, then, go to another country. The last time I checked we live in America, where our ancestors fought for our free speech, amongst other values.

www.BrokerGopher.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

RSIMMS in Chicago, Illinois

52 months ago

I've been a rep with Aflac since November 2006. I have to admit I do have a sales background 15 years plus. Working with them have been great for me, I work on a great team. I will tell any new agent coming in if this is something new to you working for a commission pay this will probably be the hardest thing you ever do. The average person don't have the mindset of setting and working their own hours. The reality is most people are use to a regular 9 to 5 with hourly pay or salary.
Again I've been here for over 4 years now I've probably seen over a 100 agent come and go. That's why they recruit a lot, the average person don't make it a year in this business. So if you are looking at the Aflac opportunity you will have to ask yourself are you committed to setting and working your on hours. Again this is commission pay which means your are your own boss. Also a new agent will work and train with a district manager until you are up to par. Good luck to those who are looking.

ceecee4me in Woodbridge, Virginia

52 months ago

Hello, HappyAflacVet in Providence, Rhode Island,

I'm in the process of going on my 2nd interview w/Aflac. I'm really excited to get started. Your comment has been the best I've
have read on the internet. You've summed up everything and have stated the facts, point blank. I'm a very positive person as well. I do not let negatiive comments/people get to me. Because I do believe in Aflac's products. Because I know the importance of having supplemental insurance coverage personally. I've already spoke with several friends and family members. Telling them about my plans to become an ins agent. Plus giving them a brief overview of what Aflac offers. Just telling them about the Disab plan, they wanted to get a policy from me immediately. However, I told them I need to get my license first. They have told me as soon as I do. They will purchase a policy from me. Additionally, one friend said he will speak w/his supervisor to see if I can come to the job and do a presentation. He already knows about Aflac. He's been wanting to sign up and never got around to it. This is so AWESOME. I haven't even started yet. I have people lined up and waiting. You are so CORRECT. When you say people will pick up on your positive vibes. I already know this and believe this. You have GOT to really believe in what you are selling. If you don't, it usually will show. Also, having a TRUE committment to HELP and standy by what you are doing. I TRULY LOVE to help people and will NOT represent something I don't. Additionally, I LOVE that "we" as Aflac reps are the first "point of contact" for the customer. When you need to file a claim. The last thing anyone wants is a "hassle". You've paid your installments and now it's time to put them to use. People want to know that they can file a claim with ease and more importantly, peace of mind.

I want to "Thank You" for your post and the positive energy. It has definitely inspired me and so many others. Continued success!!!

52 months ago

Wow, thank you! Keep up that positive attitude; it will get you thru the hard times..

It's fantastic that you are lining up potential clients already. Disability cannot be sold Direct, only as part of a payroll group...but find out where that relative works, and see if you an arrange a 20 minute sit-down with 'the boss.'

There is NO reason for an employer not to do this...IF they have a really good agent...one who calls them back within 24 hours, jumps on any invoice issue and FIXES IT IMMEDIATELY.

I just settled a claim for $10,000.00...it was a person in their 40's who suddenly suffered a heart attack (no warning, no risk factors...this is a runner who doesn't smoke!). He spent over a week in Intensive Care, but luckily had the Specified Health Event plan (not available in all states) which pays for intentisive care stays PLUS heart attack.

I went to the hospital to visit the patient and talk to the family. I had the family's spokesperson (who has power of attorney) sign an authoriziation releasing the appropriate medical records to me, and then I went to town. Contact the medical records dept (where i have a good contact---someone I have made a point of getting to know because she gets me the paperwork I need.)

Aflac paid the claim in TWO DAYS. You read that right....48 hours after I submitted the hospital bill & physician statement, the check was cut.

The family was blown away. They all want to sign up, and one of them owns a business.

Service is the name of the game. These are tough times and it you deliver above and beyond what the client expects, really good things happen.

Don't listen to the nay-sayers. I've done it and so can you.

Write to me again!

ceecee4me in Woodbridge, Virginia

52 months ago

This story is very moving and yes, what it is ALL about. I am so excited to get started. Thanks again and I will defintely keep you updated on my progress as I move forward. Of course, I know that this business will be what I make it. Being "positive" and not letting things get me down. Is first and foremost. This is just the key to doing "anything" in this life. There is always something that will happen not planned along life's journey. I'm just so GLAD that I realized this early on in my life. Having POSITIVE people to communicate/network with. Make it so much better, as WE ALL have the same goals. Looking forward to further communication with you.

Mikearrick in Poughkeepsie, New York

51 months ago

Christina said: You are very welcome...and yes, they do give you SOME leads, but you are more or less responsible for your own. Also, there is a quota - which is annually $115,000 worth of premiums (just enough to keep you on the radar according to them), which translates into about $2,000+/week or 3 to 4 people/week. But unfortunately, that also equals only about $10,000/yr in my pocket. Not enough to live on, that's for sure. I think the secret is making contacts upon contacts wherever you go, especially if you know someone in a small business. You are paid commission per sale AND on every renewal policy. That will help somewhat. The guy that interviewed me (us, actually, it was me and another guy) was somewhat professional - I suppose I was just expecting to have to sell myself more. And no, the only desk I get is my own at home for now. Which works out fine for me...I have a small child.
Now the laptop, not sure if I'll have to bring one to the in-office training sessions...but it will definitely be necessary out in the field. And yes - there is a state licensing test - (which cost me $121.00, the most basic package was $90) and I am in the process of studying for it now. They give you a site that has a very dry yet informative online course that enables you to self-quiz to check your readiness for the test. I hope this helps!

what was the web site to get self studying ?

51 months ago

Mikearrick in Poughkeepsie, New York said: what was the web site to get self studying ?

I'm not sure, but the DSC you interview with at Aflac will know.

I feel I must say that the post in quotes above is inaccurate about income. If an associate wrote $115,000 in premium, the average commission for all products is about 37.5% (you could make more if you focused solely on products that pay higher commissions). Of that amount, you get an advance commission of 63%.

Based on those numbers, the agent writing $115,000.000 in their first year would make just over $27,000.00.

I don't know where the $10,000.00 is coming from.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

wayfst in Youngtown, Arizona

48 months ago

HappyAflacVet in Providence, Rhode Island said: Disability cannot be sold Direct, only as part of a payroll group...but find out where that relative works, and see if you an arrange a 20 minute sit-down with 'the boss.'

Write to me again!

Disability can only be sold as part of a payroll group? What about self-employed sole proprietors? How does it work for them?

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Janis Smith in New Haven, Connecticut

47 months ago

This isn't the correct forum to be answering that type of question, but I will anyways, as I have worked for Aflac for a while. Disability (from Aflac) is a payroll-only product. Sole proprietors who work for themselves and have no other employees cannot purchase this type of policy from Aflac.

Aflac has a rule that a company must have at least five employees to offer disabilty. In order to form an Aflac payroll group, at least 3 people must sign up for at least one policy each, but they don't have to be the same type of policy.

Again, this is all stuff that is gone over extensively when a new associate is trained...both at the State Sales School, in the literature, in the Field Sales Guides, or by calling Aflac's Corporate Headquarters.

When you are a one-man-band, and not incorporated, it can be difficult to purchase disability just for yourself. Even Aflac associates cannot purchase the disabilty.

I still think it's a great company, however. At least it has been for me, and the thousands of policyholders that I've signed up over the years...

Bad Guitar, in Austin, Texas

39 months ago

HappyAflacVet in Providence, Rhode Island said: finally..

I use a computer I purchased from Aflac (containing specialized propriety software) to sell the policies. But for every application I submit, I'm credited back a portion of the monthly charge. Honestly...I've owned over 4 computers and never had to pay one red cent on any of them.

I hate it when I read things like "Aflac is a scam." Nothing could be more FALSE. Last week my 22 year old daughter suffered an injury at work (she has the Aflac Personal Accident Plan)...she spent 4 hours in a hospital ER and had a follow up doctor's appointment the next day. She scanned the paperwork she was given and emailed it to me. I filed it that day. Within 3 days, a check was issued for $155; $120 for the initial visit and $35 for the dr's appointment. She was thrilled. How is that a scam?

One more example, for people still having doubts: Take a look at a program called Maximum Difference. It's an indemnity plan for the care and management of cancer. The only requirement for purchasing it, is that you haven't been treated for any internal cancer in the previous 5 years (so cancer survivors can purchase it; at the SAME rate as anyone else.) Cancer is a DEVASTATINGLY expensive illness; the out-of-pocket costs bankrupt most families. This plan pays cash directly to the policyholder, and children under the age of 26 are covered at NO COST.

I've eye-witnessed how important this plan is to families if cancer strikes. There is no cap on benefits...in fact, the pay-outs often end up being the only money that cancer victim's families have to LIVE ON. The cost? $16.12 per MONTH if you are 35 years old and part of a payroll group. It can also be purchased direct...the cost is only $3 higher per month.

I welcome any questions about my experiences with Aflac. Integrity and honesty are very important to me, and I'm incredibly proud to represent this company.

Bad Guitar, in Austin, Texas

39 months ago

Can't be any worse than dealing with drunks like I have been doing for 20 years. It wont be the first time somebody has rejected me or been rude to me or called me names. so piss on them and on to the next prospect. Wish me good luck. Just getting started!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Happy Quacker in Pikesville, Maryland

36 months ago

Here's a point of view you may not have seen before. I've been a good employee all my life in the field of employee retirement plans. I've never been unemployed, never been fired, never done anything but go up, up, up. Until November of 2011. The national concern that bought out the firm I worked for went on a cost cutting rampage and eliminated all the senior people who had the experience and made a decent living. At not far from 60, I am reinventing myself.
I joined forces with the man who sold us our Aflac insurance in 2009. I did it because I trust him, I like him, he's a gentleman, he gave us impeccable service, and he's been around with Aflac for 8 years and he's not a fly by night person. What I perceive about Aflac so far is this: It's hard work and it's not for the faint of heart. You have to make an investment in insurance licensing, eventually you will want a computer of your own with the Aflac programs, you need business cards, etc. So what? Try and start a business of any other sort and see what it costs.
The most precious thing I have is my time. When I sell my time to a corporation, they tell me where to sit, what to do, where to be, how much I can make, and they demand, today, 50 to 60 hours of my time per week while paying for 40. At age 65, they will give me a retirement party - maybe - and then I am on my own. No residuals. I refuse to do this ever again as long as I live. I'd rather starve than sell my precious life to a machine that is only designed to become rich at my expense and then spit me out.
With Aflac, I am my own boss. Yes, for a time, I need to be very close to my mentor to learn what to do and how to do it. Yes, for a time, I need to share commissions with more senior people who do a job for me that I cannot do alone. But the whole system is geared to get me to be proficient and independent as soon as possible.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bonifaz in Atlanta, Georgia

36 months ago

You will learn quickly. All employees that loose their jobs get bitter and think this way. Sadly, reality will start to kick in very quickly. I don't think it is a matter of being proficient it's a matter of what people are buying. You will realize very quickly that you will soon starve and long for a permanent job with a steady income. I know of some people that almost lost their house because their income was measley. A couple hundred dollars at best. Not to mention the so called management that will boot you out to get your accounts.

Did it ever occur to you why there are so many people with negative comments on here and elsewhere? The volume is staggering. It can't be that people just don't get it. There is a good reason. You will learn shortly. My advise is to get another job quickly. Don't think for a second that you can stay because you are free. No, no. You will learn. They can still get you out. Your comment here is the rambling of a bitter employee whom they are taking advantage of. When weeks go by and you have no income.... I'm telling you...run....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

Bonifaz:

I'm starting my 12th year next Month with Aflac. No one helped me, my daddy isn't rich, and I didn't work with a broker. I got out there, day after day after day, and cold-called my ass off. In between, I talked and networked, and worked every warm lead I could.

It paid off.

I'm not ready to retire, but I make a comfortable income with Aflac. I didn't lose my house; I didnt' make "only a couple hundred." My first year, with Aflac (2011) I made $45,000.00 Decent enought for a first year associate.

Is it an easy job? Absolutely not. It's brutal. I have to deal with constant competition..both other from other agents, and from other supplemental companies. But I deliver outstanding customer services to my accounts, and have formed rock-solid relationships based on that.

This CAN be done. It's not easy, but it IS possible. Don't rain on this guy's parade...this is an entrepreneurial job...90% of folks aren' cut out for it. But you never know who may be. I was a high school chemistry teacher, and I left voluntarily to do this. I just hated every job I ever had and couldn't figure out why, until a guy I was dating told me "you need to work for yourself." And where else can you do that with only the cost of a licensening fee as your capital?

Okay, total honesty: I DID work a part time job for my first year, 'cause I was scared; very scared (I was a single mother). Turned out I didn't need to, but it was there as a cushion. And, it the job was nights and weekends, NOT during the day...because this is a job that demands you give it 8-5, 5 days a week. There are no shortcuts.

Just had to put my 2 cents in. The reason there are so many negatives are because people come into this thinking they are going to get rick quick, or that the work will be as easy as their former 9-5 job. It's neither. It's the hardest thing I've ever done in my life, but I don't regret a minute of it.

Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Bonifaz in Atlanta, Georgia

36 months ago

First of all, people misinterpret this to be entrepreneurial. It’s not. 100% of the customers belong to AFLAC. It is a grave mistake to think otherwise. Did you know, that whether or not you service your accounts well you can still lose ALL your accounts and your income can go POOF! Yes, it has happened. If you want to work for yourself; build your OWN company. I have more faith in that. AFLAC is too flaky and the regional managers are snakes. Trust me, in my region, for every 100 new agents only 1 would stay past one year. That is psycho recruiting. They prey on people with severance packages to go out and spend their precious gas money to get them accounts they will lose anyway. Don’t you think? Having said that…My first year I made $57k with limited help. I have seen over 100 new agents come and go with the great enthusiasm and hope to make it. They don’t. Maybe two agents made it. Simply put. I don’t advocate and never will this kind of emotional activity and neither should you. Using people and their money is deceit. I have seen with my own two eyes, the trainer, try and convince someone who was shy and scared of cold calling, that they can do this. That’s a shame and a waste of everyone’s time. I left, not because I couldn’t make it – but because the regional manager did some things that got elevated to legal action and corporate (Columbus) involved. That is why I left. This is not a good company. I won the legal battle. What shocked me beyond belief was that they supported and coddled this regional manager without any action of their won. I don’t want to be part of that. This regional manager wanted to hire someone with a criminal background in theft, and when corporate and the licensing place denied him, he got pissed! Again, really? What I have seen in terms of people, #’s are staggering. I have much to say and with good reason. I will never, endorse this plan and any time I can talk someone out of this, I will. Run...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.