What you should know about AFLAC before taking the job

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

Jen in Clayton, North Carolina

34 months ago

I've been with AFLAC for a few years now and I came to it from the finance industry. However it is not the primary source of my income and I'll tell you why below.

There are a few things you need to know before you start working for this job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (45) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

2. YOU HAVE TO BUY THEIR PROPRIETARY SOFTWARE. That means you must spend between $2000-$3000 for one of their overpriced, bottom of the line laptops which are pre-loaded with proprietary software (called SNG). If you buy "the brick" (a USB drive with a virtual machine software running Win XP so you can use SNG), it's about $500, plus a signature tablet (about $250, and you'd have to buy this for the laptop also), you can use your own laptop, but this configuration is so slow, you may end up losing sales as a result of this dinosaur technology. They do not and will not anytime soon make it easy for agents to enroll customers using technology. Imagine how fast and easy it would be to whip out an Ipad, fill in their information, and have them sign, all in about 2 minutes. Instead it takes about 10-15 minutes per person to enroll because of the poor level of technology. AFLAC is too scared of competitors getting their hands on their enrollment software so don't hold your breath about that happening anytime soon. By the time that sort of enrollment is available, Ipads will surely be unused. Some District sales managers will let you borrow a PC, but it's only depending on availability and how far from their office you are. You'll probably have to return it by the end of the day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (41) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

3. YOU GET PAID FAST. Your commission is usually there the day after, or two days after submitting business electronically. But be sure to set aside 25-50% of your paycheck for self employment taxes. And most commissions are only about 25% of the annual premium of the policies you write. Example: an accident policy will yield you about $45-$60 commission. However, if you send up paper applications, expect your commission to show up after about 2 weeks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (41) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

5. AFLAC PRODUCTS HAVE TO BE MARKETED TOWARDS MIDDLE TO LOWER INCOME. Higher income and net worth employees and individuals do not need AFLAC products, with the possible exception of Cancer policy, because 1. They have financial planners and the others don't, so they will have already analyzed potential emergency needs, 2. Have enough cash to self ensure most of the risks the AFLAC products cover and/or 3. Will have better health insurance with fewer gaps. You must target people who have little to know savings and really lousy, high deductible health plans, where if they had to pay out of pocket, they'd be between a rock and a hard place. Talking to the rich people is a waste of time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

6. IT'S NOT JUST A 40-HOUR WEEK. Of course, they expect you to be a full time, 40 hours per week agent, but when it comes down to it, you'll be lucky to earn $10,000 your first year. Most teams have weekly meetings all day Monday as well as frequent regional and one-on-one meetings. New agents are also required to keep meticulous track of everything they do, from # of calls, # appts, # presentations, # closes, # policies written each week, report all of this data on their website, and have those numbers analyzed to no end to make sure you're meeting the goals they expect. That means you should expect to spend your evenings after 5pm doing a ton of research and prepping for meetings and events. Expect it to be a 60-80 hour per week job for the first 2 years if you want to be successful. They will also email you constant "contest" tracking updates to "keep you motivated" and show you where you stand against other agents in terms of production written. It's a competitive environment and high pressure, so be prepared for that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

WHY I'M NOT FULL TIME
The reason I'm not doing AFLAC as a primary gig anymore is mostly because of #2 and #4. They don't make it as easy as possible to write business, and not being in an urban area, there are no new businesses to introduce to AFLAC. The existing accounts they bestowed upon me required a lot of my time and did not buy any new policies (otherwise known as working for free). Beware those vampires.

The product itself is a quality one, and the company is solid. The accident policy is great and everyone asks about dental, but it's kind of pricy, especially for a family, or as direct. Cancer coverage is a game changer for people who are diagnosed. Offer $5,000 whole life to everyone, every meeting, no matter what. The hospital-type policies are just gravy, and even though the commissions are good, don't waste your time unless 1. the group has everything else or 2. you want to show something "new this year".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

stevenwendt in Caharlotte, North Carolina

34 months ago

Great list and thanks for the info. It's your typical self employed job and some people can do it while others can't. It all depends on who you are. I was self employed once and while being your own boss can be exciting, you're not getting paid until the sale closes. I prefer a steady job with steady pay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Dale in Brooklyn, New York

32 months ago

WOW! This is great! I met with them recently and am considering it. Thank you for your honesty.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Be Gone Bankers / Aflac in Stony Point, New York

31 months ago

I have worked in direct sales / marketing before and if anybody is contemplating working for one of these company's, if one phrase says it best:

"If its too good to be true, it usually is"

Don't waste your money and time

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Alysia S in Laguna Beach, California

31 months ago

Thank you for the info, Jen.
So, as someone considering contracting with Aflac, what alternatives are there? I.e., what other companies do you feel offer the same type of products but are up-to-date/less proprietary with regards to technology?
I would much prefer to carry around my Android tablet or an iPad versus an archaic laptop & have to purchase from them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.