How to get a job at AMTRAK.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 72)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Host

Do you work at AMTRAK? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

althiewheaton@comcast.net in Oakland, California

91 months ago

I am trying to get a job at amtrak,is this the steps i need to take befor i get to the application.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (293) / No (57) Reply - Report abuse

Kaori in Portland, Oregon

74 months ago

Math questions, huh? I usually don't like these questions, because typically they do not allow things like calculators at the testing area. That's why I asked if there was any way to study for it. I've been Googling math problems and trying to solve them without a calculator. And am I correct that the discount on that problem is 4.20 and therefore the cost is 19.15?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

clc in Seattle, Washington

74 months ago

Kaori if your going in fot the first group interview then you will have a few test on for math one thats more of a english test and probly a personality test. all of them are timed about five mins. No one get all the answers.. the key is to answer the ones you know. Do all the ones that are easy for you. Dont worry its not to bad!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

JAKE in Fall River, Massachusetts

74 months ago

Funny Kaori, I don't know math myself. Sorry I could not tell you if that is it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

JAKE in Fall River, Massachusetts

73 months ago

Good luck in your future career. This is a place for a career job, so if I could give a bit more advise? I would like to say no matter what stay with the railroad and don't forget that there are other jobs that you can bid on once you have some time invested.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Keele in Portland, Oregon

73 months ago

Hey Kaori I live in Portland too. Have been looking into working for Amtrack have you heard of any job openings?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Lora H in Greenwood, Indiana

67 months ago

I applied for a position with amtrak and was interviewed. When the interview was over they said that they would let me know in 3-4 weeks. It is now week 4 and i still have not heard anything. Does it take a lon time for the hiring part? Do they send rejection notices in the mail or by phone?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jake in Fall River, Massachusetts

67 months ago

Lora, Yes they will contact you by mail. This does not mean that it is a rejection letter?????? It does take a long time for them to do a background check. Try to be patient and you should here something soon. I would give it about another week and then call them. Just tell them you don't want to miss the chance for employment should there have been a problem with the mail getting lost or sent to the wrong address. Good luck..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Lora H in Greenwood, Indiana

67 months ago

Well it is almost week 6 and I still have not heard anything. It is driving me insane. I really want this job and opportunity. Please call or send a letter.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Razi in Santa Barbara, California

49 months ago

Margaret in Los Angeles, California said: I interviewed last Thursday for a ticket clerk position with Amtrak. I think the interview went well.

How did your interview turn out? I hope you got the job!!
And how long did it take for them to contact you after you submitted your application, what was that process like?

Thanks for your time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Gnelly in Lafayette, Louisiana

45 months ago

Awaiting new class in August or September not scared, just a lil nervous as far as the test goes!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Rose in Warner Robins, Georgia

45 months ago

ok.. has anyone heard of amtrak having at home data entry clerks? no interviews or anything???? tryin to figure out if the job offer is a scam or not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

trainsbestfriend in West Palm Beach, Florida

43 months ago

Any current Amtrak employee can give me any advice on how to get hired on please help?ANY ADVICE!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

trainsbestfriend in West Palm Beach, Florida

43 months ago

Any employees of AMTRACK or future employees guidance on getting hired on please????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

cribet51 in New Orleans, Louisiana

43 months ago

comment's was very helpful

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

trains in West Palm Beach, Florida

43 months ago

want to work for amtrak anyone can give any advice out there?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

I have already applied to a train attendant position?How long does it normally take to hear from them if selected for an interview?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

LeAndra V in Memphis, Tennessee

43 months ago

Hello everyone.
Was contacted about the "On Board Train Service Attendant" based in Washington. Any information about what the process will be?
Applied online week ago and picked up the phone call this morning. Interview scheduled for next week but want to know is it actual interview or no?
They claim it is.
Plane ticket has been purchased and plenty of anxious energy :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

Hey LeAndra do you have an email so we can take about this outside this forum?I tried to post a website that may help but the forum won't let me!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

LeAndra do you have an email so we can take about this outside this forum?I tried to post a website that may help but the forum won't let me!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

LeAndra V in Memphis, Tennessee

43 months ago

trains in West Palm Beach, Florida said: LeAndra do you have an email so we can take about this outside this forum?I tried to post a website that may help but the forum won't let me!!

Trains West Palm Beach: LeAndraVasquez@mail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

LeAndra just sent you a message!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

suse doyle in North Kingstown, Rhode Island

40 months ago

JAKE in Fall River, Massachusetts said: Just keep trying and looking for new jobs with Amtrack.
Get your foot in the door with any job that you can do
and when you land one stay with it for awhile and then try to get the position you really wanted. (key) KEEP ON
TRYING, intill you get what you want.

Jake, am I correct in that Amtrak is looking for a red cap in the mass. area ?
thx, Sue

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Alescia Hartfield in Dallas, Texas

39 months ago

I need to no where do i go to take the eight- weeks class so i can work on amtrak train, could someone give me some guidness?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Trains for life in West Palm Beach, Florida

35 months ago

Is there anyone working at amtrak that could give me advise on my recent interview?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

srw1954 in jacksonville, Florida

31 months ago

I TRYING TO GET HIRED WITH AMTRAK AS A ON-BOARD ATTENDANT. I PRESENTLY WORK AS A FLIGHT ATTENDANT. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Tiny in Cranbury, New Jersey

30 months ago

srw1954 in jacksonville, Florida said: I TRYING TO GET HIRED WITH AMTRAK AS A ON-BOARD ATTENDANT. I PRESENTLY WORK AS A FLIGHT ATTENDANT . ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Almost three montsh ago I applied to Amtrak for an onboard train attendant. Never heard anything. I applied for the position in manhattan it was advertised at 17 and change an hour. Ive always applied to Amtrak over the years and never heard a thing. I guess they havent changed at all. I still havent heard anything. Just a thanyou for your interest email.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tiny in Cranbury, New Jersey

30 months ago

srw1954 in jacksonville, Florida said: ALSO NEED INFORNATION ON HOW MANY DAYS DO YOU HAVE TO WORK AWAY FROM HOME AND IS IT GOOD MONEY .

From what I know its three days on three days off. When your a newbie your oncal. Just like the airlines. But I think the raises and pay are better than an airline.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sheri James in Hartford, Connecticut

27 months ago

Hi, I also have been trying to become employed with amtrak for over a year now. I just completed another application this time for an Usher/Gateman at Penn Station. I know this is the ideal job for me because I'm very outgoing and definetly a people person. What is the next step or process?

whit in Fayetteville, North Carolina

25 months ago

Very HelpFull

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Star in Fredericksburg, Virginia

25 months ago

Can anyone help me I got the call for train attendant in DC and was told that I have to go through testing in about a week. Does anyone know what questions are on the test and whether its math, English, customer service? Help! I'm nervous and got to go next week.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

robert in Glencoe, Missouri

24 months ago

Host said: Do you work at AMTRAK ? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Amtrak was corrupt. I left after a shirt stint because I was put under pressure to do things that were dishonest and unethical. I wanted very much to work for Amtrak and help promote rail passenger service, but not at the expense of my personal integrity.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Chineyeye in Tallahassee, Florida

23 months ago

Anyone ever interviewed for any positions within Amtrak Corporate HQ in DC? I recently applied and interviewed, I believe it went well, however, I still have not heard anything back from them as yet. It will only been 2 weeks tomorrow, but I am not sure how long does it take before they get back to you. I have been checking my status via Amtrak website and my application status still says "In Process". Any information helps!

*Anxious*

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Ender in Washington, District of Columbia

21 months ago

Chineyeye in Tallahassee, Florida said: Anyone ever interviewed for any positions within Amtrak Corporate HQ in DC? I recently applied and interviewed, I believe it went well, however, I still have not heard anything back from them as yet. It will only been 2 weeks tomorrow, but I am not sure how long does it take before they get back to you. I have been checking my status via Amtrak website and my application status still says "In Process". Any information helps!

*Anxious*

Hey Chineyeye, did they ever contact you? I recently applied for a position in HQ as well. Waiting for a call back but It's only been a day. I'm really psyched about the opportunity and any insight you can offer on the process you experienced is greatly appreciated!

Chineyeye in Hollywood, Florida

21 months ago

Ender in Washington, District of Columbia said: Hey Chineyeye, did they ever contact you? I recently applied for a position in HQ as well. Waiting for a call back but It's only been a day. I'm really psyched about the opportunity and any insight you can offer on the process you experienced is greatly appreciated!

I hope I can be of help! Did you interview already? About 5 hrs after the interview I received a thank you email from the hr lady who contacted me, also requesting I complete a more "detailed" application which basically was the same online form just in Word format. I kept in touch with her, then received a system generated email about a month and a half later saying the position was offered to someone else. But they really don't keep in touch with you, I'm guessing only if they are really considering you. Overall, it was a great experience and the panel who interviewed me was very professional and welcoming.

Ender in Washington, District of Columbia

21 months ago

So far no reply but I posted the very extensive and long winded application Friday evening. My qualifications are pretty much spot on for the position and it only opened up a day prior, so I feel like I should get at least a shot at it. Do you recall how long it took for the initial turnaround call back? That said, I appreciate your response and I hope you have happily found a position now.

Chineyeye

21 months ago

I received a call about a week and a half after I applied. Still hoping to get in with Amtrak!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

alicita525 in Alexandria, Virginia

21 months ago

Kaori in Portland, Oregon said: I got the position and I just finished my first week on the job! I have to say my first day was quite interesting! They have me on as an "extra board", which means I get to learn various jobs. Worked as a Red Cap on my first day and I was confused!! I tried to ask questions, but my brain just turned to mush, helping the elderly and carrying heavy bags onto these narrow stairs to the sleeping cars! (I think that was on the Empire Builder to Chicago??) The supervisors thought that putting me in Red Cap was too much, so now I'm a Baggage Handler. I get to leave for Ticket Clerk training in LA next month, so I'll get to ride the Coast Starlight train. It sounds really exciting!
Hi Kaori, I applied for 3 different positions in DC also. I applied to On Corridor passenger assistant conductor, and Red Cap, and one other (don't remember). HR called me about the RED Cap, and saying its the Extra Board position. My concern is I really don't want Red Cap, because of any heavy lifting...Any suggestions? Alicia

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Linda Asquith in Glen Burnie, Maryland

19 months ago

I am very interested in applying for a job at amtrak in Linthicum Maryland iworked for South West airline in lithium bwi airport for 13YEARS iretired April 24th 2013, iknow and employees of yours Charles Harris very well I am a very good worker I will be willing to learn anything my name is linda57872@gmail.com asquith at lindaa57872@gmail.com 6 you will not be disappointed in me I am a hard worker thank you I also graduate in 1972 from Andover high school thanks for taking the time for your time to read this Linda Asquith

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Amtrak_Careers in Washington, District of Columbia

18 months ago

You can search for jobs at Amtrak by keyword or location at bit.ly/SearchAmtrakJobs. You can also connect with our recruiters on Twitter @AmtrakCareers and on Linkedin at www.linkedin.com/company/amtrak and learn more about our company culture on Tumblr at amtrakcareers.tumblr.com. We are working hard to improve our candidate experience! Stay tuned for announcements about our new careers site.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jay in Chicago, Illinois

17 months ago

I believe this to be very helpful. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

miss_kriss in Raleigh, North Carolina

14 months ago

Does anyone know when Amtrak will be hiring again for On Board Service? Preferably in the NC area but anywhere will do. I checked their site and didn't see any open OBS positions. :(

bobbiem706@aol.com in Abingdon, Maryland

13 months ago

Host said: Do you work at AMTRAK ? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

As stated wanting to go to work for amtrack

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

bobbiem706@aol.com in Abingdon, Maryland

13 months ago

wanting to work for amtrack.Whats my first step?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

arfrazier in Edgewood, Maryland

13 months ago

what is the pre-employment process and what does the drug testing consist of?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Paul wall148 in Bronx, New York

12 months ago

Trying to work for Amtrak since 1992 how can I work for the company?

Abidekoll in Owings Mills, Maryland

10 months ago

Pls can someone with experience with Amtrak explain this to me. ( 05/23/2014 Process Complete 05/28/2014 We welcome your application to other positions.)

10 months ago

bobbiem706@aol.com in Abingdon, Maryland said: wanting to work for amtrack.Whats my first step?

Your first step is to search for open jobs by keyword at jobs.amtrak.com to find a job you are qualified for and then you can apply by click on the apply now button listed on each job

10 months ago

miss_kriss in Raleigh, North Carolina said: Does anyone know when Amtrak will be hiring again for On Board Service? Preferably in the NC area but anywhere will do. I checked their site and didn't see any open OBS positions. :(

You can search jobs by keyword or location at jobs.amtrak.com

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.