AT&T job without diploma BUT...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (19)

Supermade in Los Angeles, California

10 months ago

I received a job offer from AT&T as a retail sales consultant . Starting pay is $14/hr with guaranteed raises every 6 months. blah blah...

Anyway, my question is, will AT&T withdraw their contingent job offer since I do not have a high school diploma nor a GED?

I never went back to get either because when I enrolled in community college, I was told by a counselor it would not be prudent to get a GED if I am planning on transferring with an A.S (biology major) to a university. I have completed college course and I am fairly sure my curricular knowledge far exceeds the requirements of a GED.

I'd also like to point out that in the job description when initially applying to the AT&T position, it makes no mention of requiring a GED/high school diploma. So I did not lie, it just put my most recent education, which is college.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

10 months ago

I also have 6-7 years experience in retail, with 4-5 being in management.

rackham12 in Central, Minnesota

7 months ago

No guaranteed pay raises. These are based on union contract renewal and extensions. If the bargaining unit cannot reach an agreement wages stay stagnant.

Probably will not rescind your offer as long as you didn't say you graduated high school on your application.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Eddy99 in Brooklyn, New York

7 months ago

Supermade: am goin tru that same situacion right now, how did end up for you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

7 months ago

Eddy99 in Brooklyn, New York said: Supermade: am goin tru that same situacion right now, how did end up for you?

I actually ended up scrambling to get my GED for safe measure. BUT by the time I was finished, my background check had cleared and I was extended a final offer. Take in account that even though I finished and passed all the GED tests, I wouldn't be officially be given a certificate of completion until a week or two after my background check cleared(which is basically when you find out if you get the job or not). So my assumption was that AT&T didn't take that into consideration during any of the hiring process.

This is my 3rd month working for ATT and I'm loving it! Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Eddy99 in Brooklyn, New York

7 months ago

Thank you very much for the information!!

brandonlee22 in Santa Barbara, California

6 months ago

Just completed the background with HireRight for AT&T. Spoke with a hiring manager yesterday who confirmed this information. I was then told my background info was sent to the AT&T Adjudication Team. Does anyone know if this is standard procedure, or is this something I should be concerned about? The entire process has been quite slow. If anyone has any insight into this process please let me know. Thanks.

Dtr204 in Newark, Delaware

6 months ago

Mine was also sent to the Adjudication team, had to call hiring a couple times to get an answer but it came back fine. I don't know the details of your background check, so i can't tell you that it will go through for you, but keep calling them. I didn't seem to get an answer until i asked for it. I start training next month. Good luck :)

6 months ago

My background was all good according to the hiring person, my only issue was a work place discrepancy. I have all the documentation which she knows about already, i.e.(w-2 and pay stubs). She assured me that wouldn't be an issue and they could clear it on their end. Hopefully they clear it in a timely manner. I have already missed the first training because of hire right taking a bit to long. Thanks for the response.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

6 months ago

One more thing. How long was that adjudication process, and when they did clear you how long was it for them to tell you when your official start date was?

Dtr204 in Newark, Delaware

6 months ago

I'm not sure the exact date it was sent to the adjudication team because like I said I had to send an email asking why things where taking so long. I send that on the 5th and got an email right back saying there was a discrepancy and it was being sent to the team, but that they were experiencing internet issues and would let me know when it went through. Not wanting to rush anyone I let it go till the 12th before emailing about it again, got another email right back asking me to call to go over my background. Did that, and then got another email on the 13th saying I was good to go. Hope it works out for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

6 months ago

brandonlee22 in Santa Barbara, California said: Just completed the background with HireRight for AT&T. Spoke with a hiring manager yesterday who confirmed this information. I was then told my background info was sent to the AT&T Adjudication Team. Does anyone know if this is standard procedure, or is this something I should be concerned about? The entire process has been quite slow. If anyone has any insight into this process please let me know. Thanks.

When my background check was completed by HireRight,I was called by the HR manager who asked me a few questions. I had a misdemeanor on my record that was job related, though was not taken place at a job. The HR manager informed me they had to speak with their legal department in making sure there were not an illegalities or conflict with hiring me due to that. An adjudication team was never referenced, but I guess that is what my HR manager meant. I cannot say for certain if that is standard practice, but I assumed my situation was not due to the nature of my misdemeanor. I am currently 3 months in at AT&T.

6 months ago

Thanks for the info. I had a minor misdemeanor 15 years ago but to my knowledge that wouldn't even come into play. I do know there was a discrepancy with one employer from 2 years ago but that info is verifiable with pay stubs and a 2011 W2, which I have in my possession. I just hope they get this process done in a timely manner.

6 months ago

brandonlee22 in Santa Barbara, California said: Thanks for the info. I had a minor misdemeanor 15 years ago but to my knowledge that wouldn't even come into play. I do know there was a discrepancy with one employer from 2 years ago but that info is verifiable with pay stubs and a 2011 W2, which I have in my possession. I just hope they get this process done in a timely manner.

Yes, AT&T only does background checks to as far back as 7 years. Now, I don't know if serious felonies fall under that too.

I received my final offer 3 weeks after applying, but did not start until almost a month and a half later. Good luck.

6 months ago

I'm hoping to hear something on Monday. Just have to wait and see. How's the job? Are you enjoying it so far?

6 months ago

brandonlee22 in Santa Barbara, California said: I'm hoping to hear something on Monday. Just have to wait and see. How's the job? Are you enjoying it so far?

Job is what you make it. You want money in your pocket, maximize on every sale. AT&T doesn't only offer cell phones, we offer U-Verse, Digital Life(Home automation/security), small business solutions,tablets, WHPs(Wireless Home Phones) and other things. You're expected to be well rounded and if you're not selling in certain categories, expect to be traveling to go to trainings. Digital Life is the big thing we're expected to offer and CLOSE. Selling phones on a two-year contract is a NO NO(or you better have your Next percentage above 80%)! Closing on Next is the only option. You can't close Next, you need to have yourself a sit and finds ways to get customers to want Next. You're expected to sell $75 in APO (accessories) with every OPP(opportunity). We offer solutions and you need to offer those solutions. They are there to spend money..are you man enough to take their money?

It's sales, so ONE RULE. ABC..Always Be Closing.

WATCH THIS VIDEO:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kZg_ALxEz0

Rakeem Redmon in Flint, Michigan

4 months ago

Supermade in Los Angeles, California said: I received a job offer from AT&T as a retail sales consultant . Starting pay is $14/ hr with guaranteed raises every 6 months. blah blah...

Anyway, my question is, will AT&T withdraw their contingent job offer since I do not have a high school diploma nor a GED?

I never went back to get either because when I enrolled in community college , I was told by a counselor it would not be prudent to get a GED if I am planning on transferring with an A.S ( biology major) to a university. I have completed college course and I am fairly sure my curricular knowledge far exceeds the requirements of a GED.

I'd also like to point out that in the job description when initially applying to the AT&T position, it makes no mention of requiring a GED/high school diploma. So I did not lie, it just put my most recent education , which is college.

. Hey I just got a contingent job offer from AT&T call center but I have no diploma and I put that while filling out my background check form. Did you put you graduated on your background check?

anonymous

4 months ago

Rakeem Redmon in Flint, Michigan said: . Hey I just got a contingent job offer from AT&T call center but I have no diploma and I put that while filling out my background check form. Did you put you graduated on your background check?

So rakeem did you get the job ?

Rakeem Redmon in Flint, Michigan

2 months ago

Yes I did indeed get the job I have been working since may 12th

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.