Getting Hired at AT&T - My Story

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 89 of 89)
Page:  « Previous   1  2   

starlight1987 in Franklin Lakes, New Jersey

16 months ago

Did anyone deal with a Tina from AT&T's employment office? If so, did it seem like she had a lazy approach to the hiring/background process? I mean if she calls you, and for some reason you miss the call, that's it for speaking to her for the rest of the day. She called me on Friday morning, I missed the call, she left a voice mail to say that I cleared the background check, but because one of my dates of employment were off by 3 months, it may effect my pay rate. I called her back, and she didn't answer, I left a message, she never returned my call. I even called her 2-3 more times that day, still nothing. Is it me, or is that highly unprofessional? If any of you have worked with her, or someone similar, please, I need some advice. I don't wanna blow up her phone because I know I'm not the only person she's dealing with. I also know that this is the only training class, so she has to concentrate on all of us because we all have to be cleared before we start. Please help!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Shelly in Jax in Jacksonville, Florida

14 months ago

Hey Guys,

So i'm going through the AT&T hiring process and so far I've had a phone interview and a face-to-face with the store manager. He said that he was set on hiring me but I would have to wait for the official offer over the phone through HR. I received an e-mail this morning asking for my SSN and my tax survey. Is this a good sign? they also said that I have to under go a back round check, I have nothing to hide but I only put the Jobs on my resume that I thought would be relevant to the Job I was applying for CSR, The phone numbers and dates are right though. Also I put in my AT&T resume that I have My A.S degree because i'll be done at the end of this term. I mentioned this to my hiring manager and the HR rep. Is this going to be a problem?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

the_Eagle_in_Newnan in Newnan, Georgia

14 months ago

I start my orientation on July 12th.Have not gotten the package as of yet ,was told I'll have by Wed.My question is, How does the orientation go? and..Since I have a start date set and amount I'll make during training for 9 wks..does that mean I'm in?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tryingintexas in Houston, Texas

14 months ago

Shelly they will verify whether you have the degree or not. It takes a few weeks for schools to report your degree information to the educational clearinghouse as well, so I don't know what will happen. My suggestion is for you to bring proof or supply it to AT&T, as the background checking company can only access certain information from universities and junior colleges. Otherwise, I don't think they can count it for your final pay offer. Try asking your recruiter.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

14 months ago

I finally received my conditional offer and confirmation of my background check, everything came back clean as a whistle :) To anyone out there that is going through the AT&T hiring process, these are the things you should look our for:

One: NEVER EVER B.S your Resume, They WILL find out. Had a friend of mine go through that nightmare and the company (not AT&T) rescinded there offer of employment. Be open and honest with your AT&T recruiter and 9 times out of 10 they'll work with you. With Hireright, list EVERY job that you've had over the past 5 years, there looking for honesty not perfection.

Two: They are NOT playing when it comes to your drug test, 48 hour window means 48 hour window.

Three: These are the signs that you got hired:

- If you take the HireRight background check and you pass your in, The company won't waste money on you if they don't want you. Up until then don't count on ANYTHING. Like they said, it's a CONDITIONAL offer.

Four (and last)

- If you have questions, Call. Don't be afraid, they went through the hiring process too and know what it's like.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mimii in Longwood, Florida

14 months ago

Shelly, Any idea where you may be training and when?

I think I am currently in the process of my background check. I received the email for my ssn and to take the survey. I have no preference personally where I train whether it be in or out of state but I am curious to know (: Being that your in Florida, Im curious in knowing where your location is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mimii in Altamonte Springs, Florida

14 months ago

Mimii in Longwood, Florida said: Shelly, Any idea where you may be training and when?

I think I am currently in the process of my background check. I received the email for my ssn and to take the survey. I have no preference personally where I train whether it be in or out of state but I am curious to know (: Being that your in Florida, Im curious in knowing where your location is.

sorry for the typos lol. I mean I'm curious to know where your location will be.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

JEEPlove in Tampa, Florida

14 months ago

Shelly in Jax in Jacksonville, Florida said: I finally received my conditional offer and confirmation of my background check, everything came back clean as a whistle :) To anyone out there that is going through the AT&T hiring process, these are the things you should look our for:

One: NEVER EVER B.S your Resume, They WILL find out. Had a friend of mine go through that nightmare and the company (not AT&T) rescinded there offer of employment. Be open and honest with your AT&T recruiter and 9 times out of 10 they'll work with you. With Hireright, list EVERY job that you've had over the past 5 years, there looking for honesty not perfection.

Two: They are NOT playing when it comes to your drug test, 48 hour window means 48 hour window.

Three: These are the signs that you got hired:

- If you take the HireRight background check and you pass your in, The company won't waste money on you if they don't want you. Up until then don't count on ANYTHING. Like they said, it's a CONDITIONAL offer.

Four (and last)

- If you have questions, Call. Don't be afraid, they went through the hiring process too and know what it's like.

How lobg did hireright take for you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Shelly In Jax in Jacksonville, Florida

14 months ago

JEEPlove in Tampa, Florida said: How lobg did hireright take for you?

Two days, Then again my Resume' included really well known companies so it didn't take long to validate my work history.

Shelly In Jax in Jacksonville, Florida

14 months ago

Mimii in Altamonte Springs, Florida said: sorry for the typos lol. I mean I'm curious to know where your location will be.

There sending me out of Florida for training so far, I'll be flying out to TX in Aug.

Mimii in Altamonte Springs, Florida

14 months ago

Shelly In Jax in Jacksonville, Florida said: There sending me out of Florida for training so far, I'll be flying out to TX in Aug.

I'll be in the Orlando August 12th training although I live there already /: I was originally going to be in the August 5th training class but it was filled

14 months ago

Mimii in Altamonte Springs, Florida said: I'll be in the Orlando August 12th training although I live there already /: I was originally going to be in the August 5th training class but it was filled

Yeah they were going to send me to Tampa but aug 5th worked better for me, I wish I was going to Orlando!

LovingLifeInTexas in Woodway, Texas

13 months ago

Okay, so I've been stalking this page since I received my first call from AT&T staffing haha so here's how it all happened:
I applied for the FT RSC on 7/18
I received a phone call from the recruiter and we did a small phone interview & she explained the job to me and asked if I was interested in moving forward with the interview process, of course I was thrilled about the position!
I had my 1st interview with the HR manager on 7/22 (my birthday!) and well, I guess he liked me because I was scheduled my 2nd interview for the very next day (7/23) with the store mgr for the store I applied at.
2nd interview went great! We talked for about 30 minutes about the job then he showed me around the store & introduced me to a few of the workers who weren't on the floor. When I was leaving he mentioned to me he would be making a decision later that week, and I told him I was looking forward to hearing from him.
I received an email the morning of 7/25 requesting for my SSN and to take a tax survey, I didn't complete it right away bc I was in the ER with a kidney infection! After I was released I received a phone call from my recruiter giving me the contingent offer & I went online to accept.
I didn't submit my background form until Monday 7/29 (due to the kidney infection) and the drug test was completed on 7/30..
Now here's where the stress kicked in.. THE WAITING GAME... lol.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

LovingLifeInTexas in Woodway, Texas

13 months ago

I received an email from HireRight asking for W-2s, paycheck stubs, 1099 forms, basically anything that could verify my employment for 1 out of my 5 jobs. Luckily I kept my paycheck stubs and sent the 1st and last ones in because I didn't have access to my w-2s bc I had done them online for the year they were needing. Got all requested documents over to them 7/30 and then just waiting to hear something.. Stalking the online site until I heard something.
Well, I noticed the background check was completed on 8/5, and I called HireRight on 8/6 for them to tell me yes it was completed and they had sent it to AT&T.
FINALLYYYY today 8/7, I received the phone call that I have been waiting for.. My Background has cleared and I was good to go!!! :D She welcomed me to the team, and said now I should be receiving a call from on boarding on Thursday, Aug 15, with details about traveling arrangements and dress code.. Training is scheduled to start Aug 19th in Houston, but I will be leaving Sunday Aug 18th!!
That's my story, i hope it helps someone! Oh yea, and really the background isn't all that bad, just make sure to be HONEST and get them the info ASAP if they are requesting it! Good Luck to everyone applying! :)

DG in Washington, Michigan

13 months ago

I'm in indianapolis august 19th for training anyone else there?

anmurphy37 in Lenoir, North Carolina

13 months ago

I put in my application a few weeks ago. I received a call back from at&t staffing and had a phone interview scheduled for the next day. About 10 minutes after the phone interview concluded I was called back and had a face to face interview scheduled for the following day. 2 days after that I was called and offered the position. I got the forms for hireright and filled those our and completed my drug test. I received the on boarding link today but my background is still showing in process...should I be worried? My training is supposed to start on Sept 16 in Raleigh NC. I also don't know the dress code for the training or where I'll be staying. Any information would be great! Thanks so much for all the insights!

ballislife in Painesville, Ohio

12 months ago

7/25 I submitted my app
7/25 took the questionnaire
7/25 took the career mapping assessment
8/5 follow up intrest email
8/5 Phone interview
8/8 interview with store manager
8/9 interview with area manager
8/13 tax survey
8/19 offer letter and call
8/19 hire right submitted
8/20 drug test done
8/20 hire right request w-2
8/23 hire right request w-2 for another job
8/26 welcome call
9/16 training in Brecksville Ohio!

patrick dispenza in calhoun, Louisiana

12 months ago

I've submitted 3 applications with art one in August 27th and the others on sept 9.under my status it says reviewing qualifications I've also done my 114 question assessment. I still haven't heard anything.does the process normally take this long with no response?

Nyfan

12 months ago

Shiggity42 in unknown, California said: Now I know SOME of the people with the Hireright horror stories weren't up front and honest with their info. I have a start date a whole moth from today, Feb 6th 2012. So, if you're looking for employment that starts right away, don't go with Att. Or find another job while you go through the Att process. My whole process started from the day I submitted my resume on 10.19.2011 all the way to my actual start date of Feb. 6th 2012. I hope my info will help you folks and i'm very happy and excited about starting my 4 week training. Anybody with infer on training please respond with all of the info you can. Anyone has questions for me, please feel free to ask. I check my email all of the

Does the background information that you fill out for Hireright regarding my employment have to be exactly like the employment information that I filled out for ATT? Because those dates were not exact. Thanks

Nyfan

12 months ago

Can anyone answer a question for me regarding the Hireright background check. I put down the last 16 years of employment on the ATT application with start and end dates that were not exact. Can I put different start and end dates on the Hireright background sheet? Also can I just put the last 5 years and eliminate the others?
Thanks

stevenmack in Abilene, Texas

12 months ago

They are only interested in the last 5-7 years on everything. The information on your application are pulled in to Hireright. If Hireright can't verify any employer be able to show your W-2s.

ATT RSC Zachary Bell in Greenville, Alabama

12 months ago

What discount do AT&T employees get on their phone plans and the phone themselves....not talking about EOU but personal lines

HelpingOthers HelpThemselves in Kirkland, Washington

12 months ago

Hey all:

I just have a couple of suggestions to help everybody. I am not judging anybody, but be aware that their are company trolls that view boards, and if you are not already, do not use your real name in the post or the profile of a company you want to get hired with. Most companies state in the contract that you sign, that 99% of us do not read, says you will not talk about the hiring process, and other things that may occur, so just be careful if you do post something.

Next, about HireRight

Unless they ask for the information, do not offer anything that wasn't requested.
HireRight won't tell you, but depending on the state that you live, you are not required to list any speeding ticket, arrest, conviction, etc. Even if they ask for it. If you volunteer the information, in the fine print you are authorizing them to actually dig deeper and or get the information that could possibly disqualify you for the position.

Its a dirty game, and I have a friend that is a HR Hiring Manager. Like I said before the application is there to provide you info, but not all info is mandatory.

I live in the East Coast, and I have a friend that lives in WA state. After 10 years, you don't have to mention you were ever arrested, convicted, etc. By law it can't be used against you and you don't have to list it, and it SHOULNDT be reported if you were applying for a job in WA state. Every state is different, I know my state I think its 7 years, but my friend works in WA state.

Also, if you ever had a conviction SEALED, or Vacated anywhere in the country, you no longer have to list that on a job application or HireRight either.

HelpingOthers HelpThemselves in Kirkland, Washington

12 months ago

<<<Continued>>>
I know you want the job, and you want to list what you believe is the truth and nothing but the truth, and I understand, but be aware that something's do not have to be listed.
In WA state most misdemeanors, can be vacated after 3 - 5 years have passed. Some Felonies 5 years. Which is cool because you don't have to wait the full 10 years.

And always know your driving record, some insurance companies don't report certain things, you can check with your local DMV.

Hopefully this helps those that are stressing over their past criminal record. Now this is for those that did something stupid, and have paid there dues, and are moving forward with their lives, not the hardcore criminals, for you, you will just be SOL.

And don't forget you can get a free copy of your HireRight report before you even apply so you can dispute what they have before you even apply at the job you want.

And you can request a Free copy of your credit report from the 3 credit bureaus.

I think its called AnnualCreditreport .com

So that is my two cents, good luck to you all, I hope you get that job you were looking for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

HelpingOthers HelpThemselves in San Jose, California

12 months ago

Oh, and if you can, help others by spreading the word, look up your local laws for your state on the reporting timeframe for certain convictions.

Also most agencies like HireRight, get their information from state agency, and usually the locally State Police is the one who keeps the criminal record on file that is accessible by companies like HireRight. Most criminal convictions are held by the State police and all local police agencies feed into the system. Most State Police will allow you to order your criminal history if you have one directly from them. Most State Police also update there database with the FBI, so if you get something Vacated/Sealed it is forwarded onto the FBI also, but as with trying to go to the Post Office, the process can take a long time.

HelpingOthers HelpThemselves in San Jose, California

12 months ago

<<<<My Last Post I Promise!!>>>> www.eeoc.gov/laws/guidance/arrest_conviction.cfm

Can an employment application ask about things that should not be reported?

The FCRA does not prohibit an employer from asking questions in an employment application. See FTC letters to Nadell and Sum:

www.ftc.gov/os/statutes/fcra/nadell.htm
www.ftc.gov/os/statutes/fcra/sum.htm

For example, an employment application might ask if you have "ever" been arrested. The FCRA says a consumer reporting agency cannot report an arrest that from date of entry was more than seven years ago. It does not say the employer cannot ask the question.

How to handle such questions on an employment application is of real concern to many people, especially those concerned with a youthful mistake from the distant past.

State employment laws may limit the questions an employer includes on a job application. For example, in California an application may ask "job related questions about convictions except those that have been sealed, or expunged, or statutorily eradicated," but applications cannot ask "general questions regarding an arrest." www.dfeh.ca.gov/res/docs/publications/DFEH-161.pdf

To learn about employment laws in your state, search the Internet for “employment inquiries” followed by the name of your state. State and local equal employment opportunity agencies, along with federal EEO field offices, may also be located through the US Equal Opportunity Commission Web site. www.eeoc.gov/field/index.cfm.

bdubs

12 months ago

So a criminal record from the police station and a driving report from the DMV would show me everything HireRight sees? I went to a tag agency 6 months ago and they printed me out a blank sheet and said it was my driving record, even though I know I've had tickets. Well a lady says I cut her off so I went to court last month for reckless driving. Based on that print out, I said I had a clean record, thinking that's all that counted was on that sheet. He called me a liar and brought up all kinds of tickets I've had. What the... So would HireRight have what the prosecutor had? Should I just go to the DMV and get the official record? It's supposed to be the same as the tag agency.. The lady at the tag told me that's what employers would see. Also that reckless driving conviction...she took it down to a careless driving and said if I get zero tickets by December when I see her again, the judge, it will just be careless. But if I get s ticket, it's reckless. So. Is that a felony or misdemeanor? It doesn't show up at all at oscn.net under my name, so..... Help? Oh also I just got a ticket today for speeding in a school zone. I thought the school zone ended. Petty stuff. :(

bdubs

12 months ago

Also, HR I think, emailed me asking if I would be able to provide a copy of my college transcript proving my degree, and I emailed back saying yes. Thing is, I graduated 3 years ago but never finished paying off my last semester. I need this job so I can pay it! It's just $800 which the commission check will cover. So. I'm not sure if that will hinder me from getting the transcript. Does HireRight gather that or do I submit it myself? So to check, I call the university and check to verify I have a degree. She looks it up and says yes. Bachelor's degree. So I asked how to get a transcript and she says it's free just come up here. Thennn I said you sure? I haven't paid off my last semester and she said well then no, no transcript unless you owe less than $200. So....Is this going to work? Maybe so will go up there and not mention it. Maybe it won't count as me owing them since it was sent off to a collection agency. Does that mean the agency paid the school? And bought my debt? Thank you SO much for your help. I'm a good person, this is all I've done....

candy hernandez in West Covina, California

11 months ago

So i had a quick question, at&t actually scheduled me in to do an interview and on my resume i had three employers that had gone out of business. Would HireRight need to have me look into those already shut down companies (maybe contact the corporate office) to prove my previous employment with them, or do they only ask to prove only one of the employers (which i already have some listed that are still up and running to this day)?

Professorjordan

10 months ago

I want to work for AT&T so bad as a sales agent or retail sales consultant, I've applied 6 times but ever time, I get not considering you at this time, there our more qualified people. Which I don't understand I know I'm very qualified, I use to work for a private Att store as a private indpent contractor, I have over 10 years customers service experience and money handling, and am great with computers. Can someone please tell me what else I need. My dream job is to work for AT&T. Plus I know that I can do a lot better job then some of the agents at stores I applied at. Please Help

GMC9451AA in Danbury, Connecticut

9 months ago

I'm so frustrated with this hiring process...
I applied for Assistant Manager at AT&T, went to few interviews in different stores but that's it. I have a lot of management skills and experience however no AT&T experience, but I don't know what's happening... why they're not calling me for at least a 2nd interview.
When I ask them what they want from the person they are looking for is EXACTLY what I now how to do and really enjoy it.
I follow suit and tie on the interviews I went and positioned myself well (I think).
I've been applying since October 2013, but no good responses. Last month I went to an interview that I really thought the guy was going to hire me at the spot, but I don't know what happened.
I also don't have any college education.
Anyone has any idea what am I missing?

J209 in Weirton, West Virginia

8 months ago

So far I went to an interview at corporate. After my interview he said he was going to set up an in store interview and will get a hold of me in a few days. He called about an hour after I left and scheduled an interview the next day with the store manager and area manager. I interviewed with them today for about an hour and fifteen minutes and I asked what the next step was. It was stated that they will send my paperwork back to corporate and I will be contacted from the first individual that scheduled my interview and they don't know how long it will take. I hope that is a good sign. I have been trying to get with AT&T for some time now. This is the furthest I have made it. If they are sending the paperwork back and I should here something is that a good sign of progress or is that for everyone regardless of being hired or not?

J209 in Weirton, West Virginia

8 months ago

also to put some dates in there for those that are looking for a time frame to get this far, I applied for the position on Dec. 19 of 2013 and had my second interview today and my first interview yesterday. I was contacted to schedule my first interview about a week before it took place.

Mriam in Roseville, California

7 months ago

Alex in Sanford, Florida said: 2 weeks after my in-store interview, after almost giving up on hearing back from AT&T, I got a call from the HR recruiter. She extended me a formal offer, contingent on background & drug test. I was offered $11.42/hr ( Full Time ), with an "Annual targeted at-risk variable compensation " between $14,400 and $15,600 (that's estimated commission). Being a full time job, it also included full benefits. This included med/ dental /etc. Since it was a union represented job, it also included guaranteed raises every 6 months, and a few other things like that. I received an email detailing the offer aswell, and there was an online portal I went to where I actually signed the offer letter.

THE BACKGROUND CHECK:

AT&T uses a company called HireRight to process background checks & drug tests. I have heard a lot of bad things about them, but I knew my record had nothing to hide. After a few days, they said they needed tax records to prove employment dates at one of my previous employers. These records had to be W2's, 1099's, or pay stubs, NOTHING else. I had records of everything except for the end date, since 2011 W2's hadnt been issued yet, and I no longer had access to pay stubs. But after running around like crazy, I was able to find a pay stub from 2011, all good.
I took the drug test at a local facility, which was really convenient. After 4 days, my HireRight online account showed the report was complete.

TIP: Contact HireRight via live chat, or phone support once your background report says complete, and ask for a copy of the report. They will email it to you, and you'll be able to see the full report that AT&T see's, so you can dispute things if anything is incorrect.

Do you list the contact of your previous employers numbers or do they search up the company and call them?

DevonteT in Houston, Texas

5 months ago

I applied back in February and didn't hear anything until March about a blitz.... I went to the blits and interviewed with a nice lady who absolutely loved me... she worked for another store far from where i had applied.. i left the blitz and on my way home she gave me a call wanting to interview at her store... i go to the store do the interview the sane day and bam they offer me the position,, Ill be making 11.60 an hour plus commission.. The only downside is that i won't start until April 16th and the good thing is my training is in Austin, TX so it should be fun.

Geze in South El Monte, California

3 months ago

If I live in los angles county where would they send me to train? Would it be just another store in the area or would it be another city?

ChloeArabella in Angleton, Texas

1 month ago

Mriam in Roseville, California said: Do you list the contact of your previous employers numbers or do they search up the company and call them?

My hiring process was very similar to this. It took them a few weeks to contact me via email(which I almost didn't notice) that I had an interview with a hiring manager. He told me then and there that he wanted me to interview with the store manager so I was elated. It took them two wreks to call me back, the gentlemen I interviewed with the first time asked me to come in the next day to interview with the store manager. After meeting with the store manager I was so nervous but I truly felt like I did well. I hadn't heard anything for two weeks so naturally I was getting pretty bummed out. I finally got a call from HR offering me the position. I did the exact same thing a lot of you did, I read all kinds of HORRID reviews and I was SO worried. I can assure you so long as you truly worked where you stated you did, you're fine. It takes about five business days.

My training began three weeks after my offer which is VERY typical.
Training isn't the same for everyone.
A week before your training begins you'll recieve an email and two days before hand you'll receive a phone call.
Good luck to everyone!

Nesha in Fresh Meadows, New York

1 month ago

Hi alex
How did you pass the assessment test? it stated i passed the first and second but failed the third what is the trick?

gwilc in Skokie, Illinois

21 days ago

I have question about the first 31 question "sales assessment". As a retail veteran of over twenty-five years, I have see more salespeople come and go than can fit on an Excel spreadsheet.

Two of the three applications for AT&T positions I have been cut off at this first assessment. What is the assessment about ? Are they looking for people with no background in sales so that they can mold them in the "AT&T" way of sales? If so they should talk to the fine folks of Fretter, Silo, Circuit City, J&R, Comp USA, Sears and others like them. It is a "disease" called RWI (Reinventing the Wheel and other Infrastructure.

Or is it something legitimate that I am missing ?

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.