My hiring process.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (25)

Phil Anselmo in Hemet, California

11 months ago

I have posted in a few different sections here, but I'm unsure of which ones specifically so I'll share my complete story here.

I have gone through the hiring process with AT&T, and with help from many members here, I was prepared in a number of ways as to what I should expect. I applied in December of 2012, or January of 2013, somewhere right in there. There were positions available in San Diego, California for "Premises Technician" and "Splicing Technician" at the time. I applied for both.

THE TEST

I received an email informing me that I had been invited to attend a testing session in February of 2013. I attended the testing session fully prepared, having studied from the moment the email was received. There are study guides provided and more info can be found online. Don't go into this test thinking its common sense and will be a breeze to weed out the dummies, because I assure you, the questions get fairly complex and require critical thinking and focus. Be mentally prepared and focused. Have a good breakfast and drink some coffee beforehand. I passed the test, feeling confident that I had earned %100. I would like to say it was about 50 questions, but I can't remember. It was timed. Once completed, the instructor called into the hallway, those who had failed the test, telling them to leave (and when they qualifying to apply again at a future date.) The rest of us seated were told that we passed (no grades were handed out) . We were then told we would be contacted, by email, with information regarding a RJP (real job preview, face to face interview)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

11 months ago

RJP (Face to Face Interview)

In March of 2013 (A Few Weeks Later), I received an email inviting me to a garage in San Diego for my RJP. To dress business casual. I wore dress pants, dress shoes, a tucked in long sleeve dress shirt, and NO tie. A tie is NOT business casual (remember that, one or two guys wore a tie and it only showed they cannot follow basic instructions, not something you wanna prove when meeting your future boss) Al of the passing test takers were here, we sat in a huge garage in rows of chairs like a classroom. We listened to a supervisor talk about the company, hours, overtime, conditions, environments, etc... We watched a video, and then we waited as 3-4 of us at a time were called to go in and talk to one of four supervisors. You need to relax here, take deep breaths, feel confident, let it sink in that this is your time to prove how bad you want this. Be yourself, use that personality your friends and family love, light up that room, they wanna know you're human too. I won't discuss all that is talked about in there, but it's basically them trying to see whether or not your fit for the company, and career position. They'll ask you questions and take notes on what you say. I left feeling like the guy loved me! You will too. Once you're done, you leave and are told you'll be contacted.

THE WAIT.

Here is where people get discouraged. I social networked, primarily Instagram. Using hashtags for the position like #PremTech, things like that, so I could talk to other employees and ask them questions. It was here were I was told, "be patient, it's worth the wait, this company is great." I was also told some guys waited 6 months, 12 months, 18 months! This was discouraging, I will be honest. I began to lose hope as April rolled around, May... June... July... August... Then...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

11 months ago

HIRERIGHT

To each their own, but I should note that I chose (under trusted advice) to not bug HR, or any other AT&T contact. I'm not telling anyone what to do, just explaining every step I took :) Anyways. Here I am, at an In-N-Out drive through, when I get a call out of nowhere from AT&T! At this time I was asked if I would like I go forward with the Splicing Technician position. I am told that I have 48 hours from the moment we hang up, to complete a drug screening/physical and submit info for the background screening. All of which is done by "HireRight." I receive an email shortly after with an address for a clinic chosen by them. This was out of town and a bit of a drive. I'm speaking for males, not females, keep that in mind. My experience at the clinic was as follows; I signed in, sat, and waited. Once called back I had my blood pressure checked, weight, etc... I was then told to use the bathroom and pee in the cup. The sample was tested as a 5 panel urine analysis. I then entered a room right after, and waited for the doctor. She came in and had my drop my pants, checked out my "area," having me turn my head and cough, the whole 9 yards. She then checked my heart rate, eyes, mouth, etc... You then proceed to the physical, provided you passed the previous procedures. The physical requires basic fitness. You will crawl down a hallway, lift weights, lift weights into shelves, hold a box of weights and lift to test lifting technique, and walk with the weight down a hallway, test your pushing power, test your hand strength, do jumping jacks, squats, etc... I was pretty out of breath afterwards... I left when done. The background check info is submitted via a link provided in an email. They check work going back 5 years, and criminal 7. Know your dates, know your dates, know your dates! I had been working at the same place for 5 years anyway, so that was a breeze, they don't care about anything else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

11 months ago

I submitted all this, and received a copy of my report from HireRight by email (TAKE THIS OPTION) so that I could review all the info and make sure there were no mistakes. There was one mistake but I called and fixed it. It was a speeding ticket I took traffic school for, but the report said I had a point on my record, which I don't. Either way, my position at ATT requires driving and they said it doesn't matter.

THE WAIT... PART DEAUX

I once again heard nothing for all of August... September... I began to get worried like most people do here. All I can say is, don't be discouraged!! Most of us have had to wait months and months and months! That's just how the company works. Positions requests get put on hold, and they have to wait to hire again.

THE CALL

Just when I had given up, and had another job offer ready to go, AT&T calls me! In mid October 2013. Ten months after applying for the company. I am asked if I am still interested, to which I reply, "I MOST CERTAINLY AM!" She said it's all official, I meet all the requirements, everything is good to go, and she then gave me an offer (a VERY generous offer :))) I accepted, and was given a start date of October 25th, 2013. I am having my going away party at my current job in a couple days, and I'm off to start my new life!

BE PATIENT!!!!! It's worth the wait!!!! I see people getting stressed after just a week or two... Get comfortable! Dig in, and stay optimistic! Ask any questions below, I'll answer them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

smek in Hawthorne, California

11 months ago

Cograts.. my process took a little over a month and I was stressing..I can't imagine you. I start on the 25th as well in Los Angeles as a Splicing Tech.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Phil Anselmo in Corona, California

11 months ago

smek in Hawthorne, California said: Cograts.. my process took a little over a month and I was stressing..I can't imagine you. I start on the 25th as well in Los Angeles as a Splicing Tech.

I was hired in Escondido. I don't know where I'm being sent for training though, it's quite possible I'll be sent to LA as well, that's what I'm hearing. I may see you there. We should meet up if that's the case

dottie564 in Las Vegas, Nevada

10 months ago

Phil Anselmo in Hemet, California said: I submitted all this, and received a copy of my report from HireRight by email (TAKE THIS OPTION) so that I could review all the info and make sure there were no mistakes. There was one mistake but I called and fixed it. It was a speeding ticket I took traffic school for, but the report said I had a point on my record, which I don't. Either way, my position at ATT requires driving and they said it doesn't matter.

THE WAIT... PART DEAUX

I once again heard nothing for all of August... September... I began to get worried like most people do here. All I can say is, don't be discouraged!! Most of us have had to wait months and months and months! That's just how the company works. Positions requests get put on hold, and they have to wait to hire again.

THE CALL

Just when I had given up, and had another job offer ready to go, AT&T calls me! In mid October 2013. Ten months after applying for the company. I am asked if I am still interested, to which I reply, "I MOST CERTAINLY AM!" She said it's all official, I meet all the requirements, everything is good to go, and she then gave me an offer (a VERY generous offer :))) I accepted, and was given a start date of October 25th, 2013. I am having my going away party at my current job in a couple days, and I'm off to start my new life!

BE PATIENT!!!!! It's worth the wait!!!! I see people getting stressed after just a week or two... Get comfortable! Dig in, and stay optimistic! Ask any questions below, I'll answer them.

How long did the HireRight background check take?

Brock82 in Las Vegas, Nevada

10 months ago

What does "awaiting department review" other than what the web site says?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

10 months ago

dottie564 in Las Vegas, Nevada said: How long did the HireRight background check take?

Did you get hired yet?

10 months ago

I had my csa interview Monday 11/18 and the AT&T web site says awaiting department review how long until I hear something?

10 months ago

Brock82 in Las Vegas, Nevada said: Did you get hired yet?

I received an offer letter this morning. I start on 12/9.

Yankees42 in Wyoming, Michigan

10 months ago

dottie564 in Las Vegas, Nevada said: I received an offer letter this morning. I start on 12/9.

Where is your training?

Brock82

10 months ago

So did your application status stay on "awaiting department review" until you received the letter/offer?

Brock82

10 months ago

Congratulations! :o)

10 months ago

Las Vegas

10 months ago

Brock82 said: So did your application status stay on "awaiting department review" until you received the letter/offer?

Yes it said that Wednesday. I got a phone call yesterday ,(contingent offer) and a Welcome to AT&T call & email today.

I'm so excited!!

Thanks

Brock82

10 months ago

Awesome! My application status was updated to "awaiting department review" on Wednesday as well! Hoping for a call & email too! Keeping my fingers crossed. :o) what date did you do your interview, mine was conducted on the 18th at 11:00 am...

Brock82

10 months ago

I'm in Las Vegas as well!

10 months ago

My interview was on the 22nd of October.

Brock82

10 months ago

Ok, thanks. So I more then likely I have to wait a while longer. :-/ Thanks for responding to my questions you've been real helpful. Good luck on your new job, hope to be apart of the family soon too! :o)

surreal alpha in Villa Park, Illinois

10 months ago

ok so i had an interview with att 9 days ago for the retail sales consultant position and a few days after that my applicatioin status changed for one of my submissions from the hiring manager is in the process of scheduling interviews to you've met the minimum qualifications for the position and another submission it went back to your resume is being reviewed and i still haven't gotten a call yet. is this a good thing should i keep waiting or should i call the hiring manager that did my interview?

S2KiLLA in Hotlanta, Georgia

10 months ago

Business casual is up to your discretion. If you want to wear a tie it doesn't mean that you can't follow directions.

I wore a tie to my interview, and got hired. Congrats on your position. But please don't state your opinion as fact.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

bteheels in Clemmons, North Carolina

10 months ago

I recently applied for RSC and was wondering how long it took to hear something back after the initial application is turned in. My homepage is saying that my resume is being reviewed. I do not have a degree or anything but I do have a lot of experience in customer service and sales experience while working in the restaurant. Do you think that these would hold me back from getting this position? I am really wanting this. It is not just a job I am looking for. I want to start my career.

Spanish Johnny in North Hollywood, California

9 months ago

Wow! I had one interview. Went over my resume. Answered 3 questions and at the end of the interview I was told to wait to hear from them regarding training/background check.

Spanish Johnny in North Hollywood, California

9 months ago

It seemed a bit rushed and the interviewer criticized my answers. She said she's heard everything I've told her at least 30 times that week and that I didn't stand out from the other group of candidates. I managed to briefly defend my ability to succeed at this job and told him that I was extremely flexible and willing to learn.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.