My story. Hiring process and interview questions!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

bdubs

11 months ago

Thanks for all the discussion. Technology is truly a wonderful resource. Hopefully my story can help someone out or promote discussion. It seems to be a little different than others so far. Pretty swift.

First off, I applied for 3 positions, 2 stores. They each sent me email links to take an assessment. I clicked on one of the links - the full-time position down the street from me I prefered. I took both parts of the assessment and at the end it said "Thank you for completing your assessment so quickly - you rock!" Yup. Pretty sure it said I would receive an email shortly but I did not receive on. A few days went by and it alarmed me because I was expecting an automated email. Anywho, I got an email about 4 days after completing assessment, looked like it was maybe because I was in the jobs mailing list, that said You're invited to an Open House Information Session at the corporate building for all the metro. It was in a week or so and I had no idea if I received that email as a promotional email or because I passed assessment. Either way, I knew I needed to go and be prepared for an interview just in case. One of my regular customers at work had worked at AT&T recently and was still respected so I had him put in a good word for me. He seemed to really believe in me.

I showed up to the event not knowing what it was. Well, turns out I suppose it wasn't only candidates who received invitations, because you check in at a table and they ask you if you have applied yet. I said yes and they looked surprised. Asked me if I had taken the assessment and I said yes. They said to wait in line. I heard them answering some guy, telling him that if he already applied, he would probably get an interview right then and there. It got me excited and even though I had only halfway prepared for an interview, I was ready. And I was wearing interview attire. Dressed nicer than most people there even though it was just Wal-Mart and Kohls stuff. Then they called my name.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

bdubs

11 months ago

(continued)
I walked in and shook this big guys hand. He asked if I had taken the assessment and I said yes, he then introduced me to this woman who he said would interview me. Woah I was nervous, but comfortable and excited. Her smile was so inviting and not intimidating. Did she think I was cute? Hah Idk. Could be reading too into it. She explained that she was at that event to do interviews but it just so happened she was the store manager of the store I applied at, so they were actually letting her do my interview instead of someone else.

She tailored the interview to my work experience. I've only had two jobs but sometimes she would start a question and then stop herself and ask a different one she said applied to me better. I felt like she was going easy on me. She asked: Tell me about yourself. Tell me about a time when you persuaded someone into making a decision. Can you tell me about a time when you were very proud of handling a situation. Tell me about your most difficult experience. Do you know a lot about technology? Why AT&T? What do you like best about your current job? Tell me about a time when you purchased a computer or device, how did you choose your device? Tell me about a time when a manager gave you negative feedback, how did you handle it? Then she went over a lot of the job details and asked me if I had questions or concerns, after each section of info she went over. Towards the end, she did a simulation where she was a customer at my current job, and asked me to sell a product to her. Somehow she made me so comfortable I nailed every question and she was impressed. It was beautiful. If you have any questions about my answers, feel free to ask! I told her about the guy who referred me and it made her even happier. It sounded like I had the job, but I guess that was just part of the interview process, going over hours and training and dress code and such. I said thank you and she said I would get a call in 1-2 weeks. That big guy said bye.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

bdubs

11 months ago

(continued)
Walking out of the building, I texted my referral friend to tell him what happened. He said, was there a big guy there? I said yes and he said that was the hiring manager and he told him about me that morning. So I'm guessing this event thing was extra and it just so happened the store manager interviewed me and the hiring manager was also present. Just 2 days later I check my application status online and it says "The hiring manager is still deciding and you are among the finalists. You will be notified when a decision has been made." and I check my email and there is a woman asking me to verify if I have a degree and what my job end dates were. I explained that yes I have a degree and the only 2 jobs I've ever had, I haven't left yet. She asked if I would be able to verify my degree with a transcript if needed, I said yes, and she said she would call me on Monday, the next business day. I asked her what time, and she said "Your salary needs to be approved. Just needs to be signed off by 2 people and then I'll know."

Sounds pretty official. Sounds like I may have bipassed the phone interview and hiring manager interview. I heard he's easy anyway and that the store manager is who you have to watch out for. Well the store manager is the one who interviewed me and it was pretty thorough so I'm not sure what else she could ask me really. If I have to interview with the hiring manager, so be it. Lets go. The guy who referred me said the last "interview" is supposed to be going up to the store for a simulation or tour thing.

I emailed that lady back today and she said she's still waiting on the salary approval. Whatever that even means. So I guess I will just wait on her. Drug test will be easy, the background check is what makes me nervous but I think I will go to the police station and get a copy of my criminal record and the DMV for my driving record so I know exactly what to report. Im guessing they won't see anything I don't see on there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

bdubs

11 months ago

(continued)
When I go to my application status online, I think it just says complete now. No pending anything. Well, that's my story so far. Yes it's a corporate store. I hope my experience helps you! Feel free to ask me any questions if you'd like or provide any feedback. I will keep this updated as nlmy story changes. I hope I get this job. I'm excited and I think I'm a good fit and want to move up in the company. Really hoping some driving tickets and university debts don't mess it all up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

bdubs

11 months ago

Sure enough, just received a call yesterday telling me I am hired. He said due to my work experience history and education, I am hired on at the highest pay level they have for starting, $10.83 per hour plus commission full-time, so an estimated $38,000 a year as a RSC with raises every 6 months. I start training out of state in 4 weeks. Just filled out my background check info so we will see how that goes. I can't wait until I become Assistant Manager.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Herosil in Miami, Florida

11 months ago

I just applied to at&t. I just got an e-mail letting me know that I passed the assessment, and that I should be checking my inbox:D! I'm excited ! I hope everything turns out the same way as it happened to you. Thank you for writing about your experience, you're awesome. I wish you the best of luck. Congrats!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Herosil in Miami, Florida

11 months ago

By the way I am currently an assistant manager at a dollar store. I have been working there for 7 months. I am not very happy there, I wish to work with something more techy haha. Do you think I can get the job? How should I prepare for the interview?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

bdubs

10 months ago

Update to my story. The background check process took about 10 days, that's with me replying to each email as soon as I can. They will send you to a HireRight profile where you answer questions about employment history, felonies, misdemeanors, any traffic tickets. Here's the catch folks. Why do they need to know traffic tickets? I went to the local dmv for a print out of my driving record. I know I've had plenty of tickets but why list them if I don't have to? The driving record I received was completely blank. Therefore I could not accurately report what tickets I've had and when. So I answered no, no tickets. Even though I received a misdemeanor reckless driving a month before. Went to the police station and he said he would leave it blank if he was me. I did. Put down no tickets, no misdemeanors. Eventually they said my background check was clear and I was good to go. I called HireRight and had them mail me a copy of my background check. Just got it in the mail today. No misdemeanor showed up, and here's a catch. From what I can tell, they did no search on traffic tickets. It would seem that section is completely based on you ratting yourself out. They checked for felonies and misdemeanors, but that's all I see. One of my companies, my own company, the report shows unverified and said I provided a schedule c from my tax filing, but that the company name isn't on there. That's not true! My company name was indeed on there. Oh welll. They still passed me.

bdubs

10 months ago

I got a call a few days ago, about a month after I got my job offer, to set up travel arrangements. I'm a full time employee. During my interview, I was told I would get a rental car if I needed. So I told my boss at my other job I'm phasing out, that I could work the weekend and come back to visit and stuff so I don't get homesick. The woman on the phone said I couldn't get a rental and that I can't come back for the weekend, or at least they wouldnt cover it. Since I had no rental, it was out of the question. She said she would see if I could get a ride with a fellow local. Looked the guy up on facebook. It seemed cool. Roadtrip. No. I got a call today saying nevermind you're going to part time training here in the city, two days later than the original training date. I told her I already planned on the big out of state trip and she said the plans have already changed. How aggrivating. Already told my boss I can work. Now I can. Planned on a month of free food and fine dining. Nope. Now instead of them paying for my gas, I have to pay for gas. More gas than I normally would because thats a one hour round trip. Oh well. Gotta do what you gotta do. No fun. I emailed the lady back and confirmed with her I wouldddd be getting full time pay and even though training is only twice a week now, I would be in the store the other days. Sounds weird. But oh well. Just something you gotta do until you start working. The actual job is the actual cool part. One more month.............. Good lord. If I had another job set up, I would say forget this. Guy who got me the job says he left making 60k so hopefully this will be worth it. Stay tuned for training updates.

eagertofly in Belfast, United Kingdom

10 months ago

rackham12 in Central, Mississippi said: Remember the comment where I wasn't being very helpful? I believe you owe me an apology.! You have a job stop complaining and enjoy your job you just got. You are actually complaining about not traveling what are you 20,24? I am 19 and could not be every thankful for the opportunity to work for such a great telecom. company. Hopefully you won't last more than year since you already said if you had another job you would not take this great opportunity your friend set you up with.

That is a bit harsh wishing someone else would be out of a job. I do not know the background granted, but that is a bit harsh,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.