How to get a job at AT&T.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (751 to 792 of 792)
Page:  « First « Previous   13  14  15  16   

deoxide2012 in La Puente, California

46 months ago

I have a couple of questions and was hoping someone could answer them.
If I have a misdemeanor from when I was 16 yo, should I list them on background question or do those even show up anymore if it has been 20 years?

If I filed Ch.7 and it was fully discharged 2 years ago will it disqualify me automatically during background? I had nothing shady on my BK hence the discharge, it was mainly because of my business closing and didn't want to lose the house cuz of 2 years being left on the lease and landlord did not want to negotiate.

Lastly, I had my own business for 9 years which I listed on the app and I have tax returns should they want them to prove it. But last 2 years I have been getting paid cash to work on commission but the employer is still there and will verify me working there and how much I get per client. Will this possibly keep me from getting a job since I'm not sure how they will verify this or do they only call my current employer and verbally verify my title , dates and pay?

Thanks in advance for whoever can respond and help me out, just a bit worried if I might be wasting their time and mine. Had no clue At&T was this strict with the background part.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

Just wondering if any current or recent Sales consultants for AT&T know what typical salary and bonus and commission is like. I did some research and it says typical salary is about 36k per year, which would be more then their listed starting hourly pay of around $13-14 per hr. However, it also states that typical average salary is around 47k a year. Im kind of confused, is it 36k or 47k which is more realistic for full time sales? Anyone know? Also how much do you get taxed for bonus and commission as I heard fed tax rate is much higher for bonus and commission then base hourly pay. Looking for some straight answers from someone who is knowledgeable. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kentuckychick in Lexington, Kentucky

45 months ago

Hi everyone! I've been looking around these boards during my hiring process at AT&T and your advice has really helped! But, I thought I'd share some insight into my hiring process because I think it might be a little different, plus I could use some advice in my current situation.

I applied online for a Part-time Sales Support Representative position at AT&T on August 29. On September 5, I got an email from an AT&T Staffing Manager asking a few basic questions and asking me to respond if I was interested in setting up an interview. I responded yes to those questions and that I wanted to set up an interview. The next day (Sept 6) I got a pre-screening call, answered similar questions that were asked in the email and was set up for an interview on Monday, September 10 at 11am. Over the weekend, I researched and poured over these pages for advice for the interview. So, I went to the interview with the hiring manager on September 10. We went through the interview and at the very end, he asked me what my schedule was like for the day. I told him I was free and he said he wanted me to meet the store manager at the location I would be hired for and the area manager at another location. I left that office and immediately went to meet not only the store manager, but the assistant store manager as well. This interview was a little less formal but some of the questions were still challenging. ie: What 3 things could you work on to better yourself? This doesn't seem like it would be hard, but when your in an interview and you are trying not to give answers that would hinder how you would perform the job if you were hired. After that interview, I went to another location to meet the area manager. That interview was also not as formal as the first. At the end of that interview, the area manager told me I would hear from the hiring manager (1st interviewer) by the end of the week. The next day (Sept 11) I got a text from the hiring manager asking how my (cont.)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

meetings went with the SM and the AM. I told him that they went great and I thanked him for the opportunity. He responded and told me that they liked me too and I would hear more about the job early next week. I got an email asking for additional information on Sept 11. The next day (Sept 12) I got a call from the staffing manager extending an offer to me! We talked about training dates and she said I would receive a slew of emails later in the day, including information about filling out the background check, scheduling the drug test, and other necessary forms. I also got an email with my formal offer letter. I completed the background check info on Sept 13. I went and completed my drug test on Sept 14.

Unfortunately, this is where it gets sticky. I got a call from HireRight on Monday, Sept 17 saying that there was a discrepancy about my education (more on that later). I verified the information with the HireRight person and went on with the day. The background check was completed on Sept 18 and I was able to view it with a login email and password. Let me just say, they check a lot of stuff! Everything was clear except the discrepancy with my education. Well, I got a call from the staffing manager saying there was a discrepancy and I explained the situation to her. She said I might be able to get it cleared if I was able to send her some supporting documentation. It took a couple of days (waiting on other people and such) but I sent her all the documentation by Sept 20. Now, I'm playing the waiting game. :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

So, here is some more info about the discrepancy in my education. I have 3 nationally awarded credentials because I used to work in childcare as a preschool teacher. They are awarded by a national program but I had to fulfill the education requirements at a local university. Because I was earning these credentials nationally, there were only 5 classes that I needed from this university. That made me a non-degree seeking student.

When you fill out the background check information, they only give you certain options, most of which are geared toward traditional situations. My situation is a unique one. So, when I filled it out I tried to describe my situation the best I could with the options given. In the Degree/Hours Completed section, I chose "certification" because that's what I have. In the Degree/Diploma Received, I put "graduated, degree received" because I received those credentials/certifications. In the Date Received section, I put the date in which I was awarded by first credential/certification. When HireRight called the university, the university uses an automated system (it was printed on the background check, that's how I know). Well, the university didn't have a major or program recorded or how many hours I had completed and reported that I had "some college."

Anyway, it's a mess but I sent copies of all of my credentials and a letter on official letterhead from the Program Director of the university stating I went through this national credential process and that I satisfied my requirements at the university. The staffing manager thought these documents might be enough to get this discrepancy cleared. It has to go through a committee I guess and so now I'm just waiting to hear back. I wasn't trying to lie or anything, it's just really hard to fill out a background check and answer questions that aren't tailored to a unique situation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Justin JP

45 months ago

deoxide2012 in La Puente, California said: Just wondering if any current or recent Sales consultants for AT&T know what typical salary and bonus and commission is like. I did some research and it says typical salary is about 36k per year, which would be more then their listed starting hourly pay of around $13-14 per hr . However, it also states that typical average salary is around 47k a year. Im kind of confused, is it 36k or 47k which is more realistic for full time sales? Anyone know? Also how much do you get taxed for bonus and commission as I heard fed tax rate is much higher for bonus and commission then base hourly pay. Looking for some straight answers from someone who is knowledgeable. Thanks.

I can only go off my Verizon Wireless experience. I was making right around 55-60K at a C-level store. (Our store ranked at the bottom consistently)...

Justin JP

45 months ago

Justin JP said: I can only go off my Verizon Wireless experience. I was making right around 55-60K at a C-level store. (Our store ranked at the bottom consistently)...

However,

I'm not entirely sure what AT&T pays. They started me at 12.43, which is about .50 lower than what I started at AT&T. However, I made 45-50% of my income through commission. Never made less than $1200 at Verizon. AT&T has much more products to sell, but AT&T in my area is being crushed by Verizon Wireless. Greenville-Spartanburg has a 90% Verizon Wireless saturation rate. So we are all fighting over 10% of the pie.

My goal is to make at least 55K, no less that will include over time, especially going into the holiday season. I intend to work like a slave! It's grinding season.

I believe if you're decent and your store traffic is moderate you should be able to pull 45-50K

45 months ago

Justin JP said: However,

I'm not entirely sure what AT&T pays. They started me at 12.43, which is about .50 lower than what I started at AT&T. However, I made 45-50% of my income through commission. Never made less than $1200 at Verizon. AT&T has much more products to sell, but AT&T in my area is being crushed by Verizon Wireless. Greenville-Spartanburg has a 90% Verizon Wireless saturation rate. So we are all fighting over 10% of the pie.

My goal is to make at least 55K, no less that will include over time, especially going into the holiday season. I intend to work like a slave! It's grinding season.

I believe if you're decent and your store traffic is moderate you should be able to pull 45-50K

I have heard/read that At&t pays anywhere from $12-$16 per hour base salary. The average commission is around $1200 per mo. That's based off 40 hours a week though. I was told that I would work no less then 45hours per week as a full time rsc and everything over 40 hrs a week is paid time and a half plus. Ofc the commission part should also go up if you pulling more then 40 hrs a week at a fairly busy store. I did some quick calculations and it looks like a base of about $35k with 50hrs a week worked with commission should probably put you at around 45-50k.

But like any other job that is commission based, you can make more if you put more into it. I would prefer not to work more then 45hrs or so and would be more then comfortable with 40-45k range. I know a guy who had sold wireless products for independent dealers in the l.a. area for 5+ years now and makes about 80k a year consistently but is also working 6-7 days a week, 50-60 hrs...Im not sure if I could handle working that much tbh lol.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

Looks like people who have bachelor's degrees and 4-5 years of solid retail experience are getting offered around $15-$16 per hour base. I read somwhere on this forum that pay range for rsc is $12-$22 per hour and don't think it goes that high, more like $12-$16 starting sounds about right for the starting sales position. Anything above $16/hour sounds like someone who has been there for a while and got their due raises every 6months or starting managerial position base hourly pay.

45 months ago

And ofc I am stating the starting pay averages for So California area as I am sure there are different tiers or grades of pay depending on what state and area you live to adjust for cost of living for your particular area.

Justin JP

45 months ago

deoxide2012 in La Puente, California said: Looks like people who have bachelor's degrees and 4-5 years of solid retail experience are getting offered around $15-$16 per hour base. I read somwhere on this forum that pay range for rsc is $12-$22 per hour and don't think it goes that high, more like $12-$16 starting sounds about right for the starting sales position. Anything above $16/hour sounds like someone who has been there for a while and got their due raises every 6months or starting managerial position base hourly pay.

At my current job I make right at 38K. I'm hoping I can beat that by about 5K at AT&T. I know I'd be able to make that at Verizon, but I'm not quite sure about AT&T. They started me at $12.43, which was about $.50 less than Verizon Wireless, but I was pacing close to 60K with Verizon in 2010 and 2011. Those numbers might be a little softer today. But I'm praying hard for at least 45K. I'd have to make at least 3700 a month. But everyone at my store is telling me 50K is near impossible, so I'd have to get a feel for the store the first month to see what the traffic is like. My first ramp-up check will probably be about 2800. If I can just make my ramp up each month I'll be MONEY!

deoxide2012 in Hacienda Heights, California

45 months ago

Do you know how far back they go with employment checks? Hard to remember exact dates of employers worked for 10+ years back and I'm sure they are now gone. I listed my last 10 years history and hoping that is more then enough.

Newtech in Sacramento, California

45 months ago

They only due a 5 year employment varification.

Joe in San Jose, California

45 months ago

Justin JP said: At my current job I make right at 38K. I'm hoping I can beat that by about 5K at AT&T. I know I'd be able to make that at Verizon, but I'm not quite sure about AT&T. They started me at $12.43, which was about $.50 less than Verizon Wireless, but I was pacing close to 60K with Verizon in 2010 and 2011. Those numbers might be a little softer today. But I'm praying hard for at least 45K. I'd have to make at least 3700 a month. But everyone at my store is telling me 50K is near impossible, so I'd have to get a feel for the store the first month to see what the traffic is like. My first ramp-up check will probably be about 2800. If I can just make my ramp up each month I'll be MONEY!

Hey Justin, Congrats on the job! I've working as a FT RSC for almost a year in the Bay Area. I can tell you for sure hitting 50k-60K is reachable. It's September now and I'm sitting at close to 49K YTD and after this iphone 5 launch with overtime. I'm sure another 10-15k will come easy at the end of this year. Don't let the slackers hold you down, hit your op goal + UV goal and start tier'ing up! Good Luck to you!

Justin JP

45 months ago

Joe,

I'm at a level 1 store. When I interviewed the store traffic around noon was pretty slow. When I was at Verizon a C-Level store (lowest level) I still was able to make 60K with overtime. Verizon has sense took away over time over 50 hours, so a lot of employees who made an extra 250-300 every two weeks in overtime no longer have that. My manager at my new store told me over time would be available if my numbers warranted it and I didn't hurt store numbers while on the clock. Nonetheless, at a level 1 store do you believe 45-50K is possible?

Justin JP

45 months ago

Also,

What are some best practices to help sell wired? I'm going to do a lot of neighborhood canvassing on my days off. Pass out tons of fliers and leave my fliers at resturarants. But what are some best practices?

Richard in Williamsport, Pennsylvania

45 months ago

Rickbreeze in Providence, Rhode Island said: I just got a call from HR And they extended me an offer!! So I guess patience is key. I start on the 16th of April I wish you all the best of luck, if you have any question for be afraid to ask ill try to update this throughout the process!

So your status did say Completed. Did you call the store manager and what did they say? how long did it take them to call you after you noticed it said completed?

Justin JP in Franklin, Tennessee

45 months ago

Richard in Williamsport, Pennsylvania said: So your status did say Completed. Did you call the store manager and what did they say? how long did it take them to call you after you noticed it said completed?

They will call you. Normally once it says completed, if you are selected it takes about 24-48 hrs to get a call. They have to get all the paper work together to get you into the system. This prepares your initial onboarding process.

jjjohnson in Antioch, Tennessee

42 months ago

Has anyone applied for the Sales Consultant position in Nashville, TN that starts on Jan 14,2013. I was hired on but the HR lady has been on vacation and have yet to hear back about the hiring paperwork or anything. PLEASE HELP.

blondecash in nashville, Tennessee

40 months ago

Hi JJ, did you hear anything about the sales consultant position in Nashville?

Dr wh in Sacramento, California

40 months ago

I would recommend you write and indicate that you were told the person you expected to hear from is on vacation. Ask if they have a suggestion as to how you can find out the status of your application and/or hiring position or if they have a time in which you should call back. Let them know you are interested. You may want to follow up in writing as well. I know if I come back form vacation the first week is stuck in emails and follow up projects so if the letter is ther it may serve as a kind reminder. Best of luck to you.

jjjohnson in Antioch, Tennessee

40 months ago

Yes i started on Jan 21th. Great job. Great pay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

wvu in West Virginia

40 months ago

My training is March 4th in King of Prussia PA. Anyone else training then/there? Also, I am 6 hours away from the training site, and was offered a flight, but the closest airport is 3 hours away. Would I be able to rent a car instead of flying and would they reimburse me at least partially for that? It seems like it would cost about the same as a flight, maybe less. I was wondering if anyone else has any info or experience pertaining to this. Thanks!

Joseph in Chandler, Arizona

40 months ago

I disclosed a misdemeanor assault charge I had between my brother and I, the hiring department called me to get the details. Its all Pretty short and simple no jail time no probation just a fine. Sad thing is it didn't even show up on my background :( she told me they'll have an answer for me tomorrow. Should I be concerned?

tlavery in Elk Grove, California

38 months ago

My husband has gotten a conditional job offer for the Splicing Technician Position and has done his drug test already. His physical will hopefully be scheduled for next week and tomorrow morning he will sign and submit his background check.

I have a few questions.........hopefully someone here can help me out.

How often do they do payroll? Weekly or bi-weekly? I know he will find all that out on orientation day (May 24th), but I'd like to get started on the budget this weekend if at all possible. Any chance anyone can tell me what days in May/June are payday? That sure would be helpful so that I know if rent for June will be on time or not so I can juggle things if I need to or tell the landlord it might be late :(

I have heard that insurance will be a 6 month wait and that it is at no cost to the employee. Is that true and if so, does that include my insurance at no cost too?

Also, can anyone give me some idea how much the union dues will be? I read somewhere that they were 1.3% if your weekly income, but wanted to see if that was correct or not.

Thanks in advance for your help. Yes, I do know this is not the ideal job, but TRUST me......it will be a damn site better job than he has now. Where he is now there is no vacation pay, no holiday pay, no vision or dental and no Kaiser. I'm not holding my breath for him to get on permanent, but for the time being we have something that is better than where he is at now. Hopefully the background check will get done quickly so that we can get the official offer and breathe a sigh of relief!

nyfan in Las Vegas, Nevada

34 months ago

Shiggity42 in California said: The whole process is stressful. It took 3 months from the day I applied to the day I started training. I'm finishing my first month on the floor. I like the job.

Does the background information that you give to hireright have to be the same as the information I gave to ATT for my e,ployment?

TY504 in chestertown, Maryland

33 months ago

im scheduled to start training oct 21 in Hanover, md. i live 67 miles away from training but the mall im working at is only about 20 minutes away from the training location. does anyone know if they will give me a hotel accommodation? do they determine that based on your home distance or the actual work site? the mall ill be working at is actually a hour from me, but i will be relocating closer within the first 2 weeks of actually starting the job...i wanted to have a job in place before i relocated for sure.

thank in advance!!!

TY504 in chestertown, Maryland

33 months ago

nyfan in Las Vegas, Nevada said: Does the background information that you give to hireright have to be the same as the information I gave to ATT for my e,ployment?

yes i was told to make sure i changed it to match, the only thing because they got 5 years back on my background i did add a employment to that. its been 16 days now have you passed your background yet.

mack

33 months ago

I had my interview today the set up was new it was me and a manger in the room and his responsibility was not to hire me but take notes and he would then send them notes off to a hiring/recruiter make a long story short I got an email saying because of timing and experience this job wasnt a match I dont understand how I had the experience the 4 questions he asked wasnt really about the job........my biggest thing is how can someone hire you off notes when apparently my resume was good enough to get me through the door and I really wasnt a match they could have saw that when they viewed my resume

hukia in Buford, Georgia

31 months ago

I have seen

You've met the minimum qualifications.

since Sept 19 2013 till now

Does this look normal? Is there a number to call @ AT&T to see what is going on.

hobson266 in Renton, Washington

31 months ago

Bud in Orlando, Florida said: My advice is to look somewhere else. These jobs are being posted because of gov't regs. Qualified people who are very familiar with the systems & job requirements can't get a sniff. ATT "determines" based on on-line apps whether or not you are qualified.

You are exactly right. I would never waste my time again. I was qualified, fit every aspect and was still denied the job.

Katie D in New Lenox, Illinois

31 months ago

Just curious7 in Texas said: Sounds about normal, you cannot have a family/life and work there especially if you are on the customer service side.

Couldn't agree more! You have no life working for AT&T! And now they just lowered the commission structure so you have no life and no money!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Daffney62 in Winter Park, Florida

21 months ago

Disgruntled in Winter Park, Florida said: I have several years of customer service experience and possess excellent customer service skills, communication skills and telephone etiquette as well as solid computer skills. I successfully passed the customer service test, however my application for employment was rejected based on my answers to some of the interview questions. My answers were misinterpreted by the interviewer and I was therefore denied an opportunity for employment. I sincerely believe that this company practices age discrimination and takes every opportunity to disqualify older applicants. Don't waste your time applying if you are over 35.

Hi, I believe you are wrong about age discrimination -- I have been there for almost a year, I will soon be 53.

Tay in Stone Mountain, Georgia

18 months ago

chicagojobseeker in Chicago, Illinois said: I applied for 2 jobs. The customer service bilingual and the cable splicer. I got a testing invitation and phone interview for the customer service position right away. In about 2-3 days. For the cable splicer position, it took about a week to get the test invitation. I'll be testing for both positions next week. The cable splicer position pays more, up to $932 weekly to start.

I just hope I start soon. I really need the job. In the testing invitation email they sent me they indicated that even if you passed the mechanical test, doesn't mean you'll get the job. You'll just be placed in a pool of qualifed candidates.

Can anyone else share their experience? How long it took to get the job after passing the pest?

After passing the mechanical test it took 2 1/2weeks. for call back

Retired Michael in Dallas, Texas

18 months ago

deoxide2012 in La Puente, California said: I have heard/read that At&t pays anywhere from $12-$16 per hour base salary. The average commission is around $1200 per mo. That's based off 40 hours a week though. I was told that I would work no less then 45hours per week as a full time rsc and everything over 40 hrs a week is paid time and a half plus. Ofc the commission part should also go up if you pulling more then 40 hrs a week at a fairly busy store. I did some quick calculations and it looks like a base of about $35k with 50hrs a week worked with commission should probably put you at around 45-50k.

But like any other job that is commission based, you can make more if you put more into it. I would prefer not to work more then 45hrs or so and would be more then comfortable with 40-45k range. I know a guy who had sold wireless products for independent dealers in the l.a. area for 5+ years now and makes about 80k a year consistently but is also working 6-7 days a week, 50-60 hrs...Im not sure if I could handle working that much tbh lol.

You aren't going to get rich working at the phone company and they will work you like a dog. You will have no say in how many hours you work.

catkins in Cleveland, Mississippi

9 months ago

Has anyone here got a job offer that applied online only? Also, does AT&T check if there is any outstanding balance with them when considering?

Tammy in Orange Park, Florida

9 months ago

Yes, I start Monday. I only applied online. I don't believe they check credit or outstanding balance. The background check is done by hireright and they go back 5 years. Good luck.

Tammy in Orange Park, Florida

9 months ago

Daffney62 in Winter Park, Florida said: Hi, I believe you are wrong about age discrimination -- I have been there for almost a year, I will soon be 53.

Same here, just hired and will start Monday. I'm 51. The questions are not age, gender, race based. In fact my interviewer and I discussed that fact.

Valentine in Burlingame, California

8 months ago

AT&T most definately practices age discrimination. If you were hired at 20 years old and have over 20 years of service, AT&T will find a way to downsize you. Sure, AT&T will hire people over the age of 50..they know that by the time you have 20 years and close to retirement age that you wont be able to collect a pension. Oh.. thats right.. AT&T doesnt offer the new hires pension.. or medical any longer.. do they?

orry in Saint Louis, Missouri

8 months ago

Bud in Orlando, Florida said: My advice is to look somewhere else. These jobs are being posted because of gov't regs. Qualified people who are very familiar with the systems & job requirements can't get a sniff. ATT "determines" based on on-line apps whether or not you are qualified.

Bud....... I agree with you. Look elsewhere,folks. Read "angiea of Willow Spring, NC. She tells it like it is with that company.

Valentine in Burlingame, California

8 months ago

Orry in Saint Louis, Missouri said: Bud....... I agree with you. Look elsewhere,folks. Read "angiea of Willow Spring, NC. She tells it like it is with that company.

Orry,

I'm interested in reading angiea of Willow Spring, NC post. Where can I locate? Thanks.

orry in Saint Louis, Missouri

8 months ago

Look in the light blue left hand coiumn here on the Forum website. You will see her name , city, and state she resides in along side her comments. Continue on other pages to read back dated comments..

I just read "itsjustme" from St. Louis, MO...where I reside. the comments about SBC/ATT are entirely true. Reason they charge so much is that ATT pays their management, and then employees, salaries.

Folks, I know the economy sucks and the employment rate IS NOT what the government claims, but ATT is not a place you really want to work. Take it from us who have been there...not worth it.

Page:  « First « Previous   13  14  15  16   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.