How to get a job at AT&T.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 200 of 782)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

Local 21 IBEW in Schaumburg, Illinois

75 months ago

When it comes down to ter jobs with the company, if u know how to do ur job and ur liked by most in ur garage u will get a perm job. Most old guys and gals will be retiring before the new contract. U are now there replacements

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

HireMeNow in Shinnston, West Virginia

75 months ago

I had a phone interview with AT&T, and they told me there were two positions I will be considered for. One is the outside tech, and the other is the outside plant tech.

WP- How is the process going? I have also been contacted for the same job title. How long is the process? I really dont mind Temp status. I need work NOW and am tentative to take another position until this plays out.

JAC in San Antonio, Texas

75 months ago

When they put a job in temp status, its usually on a 2 yr basis. They are also gearing up for the strike next year.

Wood Pecker in south east, Florida

75 months ago

HireMeNow in Shinnston, West Virginia said: I had a phone interview with AT&T, and they told me there were two positions I will be considered for. One is the outside tech, and the other is the outside plant tech.

WP- How is the process going? I have also been contacted for the same job title. How long is the process? I really dont mind Temp status. I need work NOW and am tentative to take another position until this plays out.

It is a slow go, I had a phone interview on the 9th of this month, and haven't heard a thing yet. A guy I talked to on another forum told me that he got hired for the outside plant tech. position, which was term (2 years). He said after 3 months they laid his whole group off because they finished the project they were hired for. Can anyone tell me if this is really what to expect. The guy had no reason to lie to me. Do they hire you for a project, workers for strike, or to replace retiring employees?

75 months ago

Yes, they hire under contract (i.e. specific period of time such as a year, til a project is finished, etc.) So if you get hired, be sure and ask is this temporary or permanent.

FYI: if you not hired on as a permanent employee, they do NOT have to offer any benefits. That means less overhead costs for AT&T.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

newtone in Murfreesboro, Tennessee

75 months ago

I had my testing on the same day and they said they would be calling me for the phone interview within the next few weeks i still have not heard anything have you received your phone interview or do you kknow if we receive a letter if you do not get the job I am just in need of some answers I am sure they do not get in a hurry cause the next class is not till august let me know if you have futher info

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

I took and passed my basic electricity test today. Now what? any idea? BTW, what location are you applying for?

tcyneedsajob in Antioch, Tennessee

75 months ago

newtone in Murfreesboro, Tennessee said: I had my testing on the same day and they said they would be calling me for the phone interview within the next few weeks i still have not heard anything have you received your phone interview or do you kknow if we receive a letter if you do not get the job I am just in need of some answers I am sure they do not get in a hurry cause the next class is not till august let me know if you have futher info

I took the test and had my face to face interview on June 7th which is almost a month ago.At that time I was told that someone would be contacting me for a phone interview as well,and I still have yet to hear from them.No letter telling me better luck next time or anything.I went on and took another job.It doesn't pay as much as AT&T but when you factor in gas costs it just about balances out because this job is closer.Plus I almost gave myself an ulcer worrying whether or not I would hear anything.I wish you luck

75 months ago

Yeah it seems to me they are in no hurry to let you know if you are going to be hired however I am still going to wait I also took another position and look forward to something either by email or letter form if I was passed over I was told the job does not start till aug and so who knows we still have the rest of july and who knows hopefully we will both hear from them keep me posted if you hear anything good luck !!!

75 months ago

Did you take a color test, if so what type?

75 months ago

***for you people hoping to get hired***

Non-management folks, Union contracts will be up in some locations in April and others in August. My understanding is from reputable sources (1) AT&T will get all the people involved to work in good faith and then when other contracts are up, all people will be put out on strike at the same time. They did that last contract. But this time Ed Whitacre is not the CEO. So it will not be a short 4-day strike for appearances. (2)The sticking point: all the benefits you guys think you are going to get (i.e. insurance, sick days..)and keep, get ready to pay 100% for your insurance and personal sick days are going to be whittled down. (3) this means a long strike (possibly more then 3 months).You will think you are working at Walmart.

Management sales people: your sales quotas are being set so high you won't get much commission if any at all. THIS IS HAPPENING NOW. Most account managers are no longer getting paid commission.

You may think I'm full of BS, but my informants (from inside) have never been wrong during contract negotiations yet.

So be prepared.

dburc in Knoxville, Tennessee

75 months ago

JAC in San Antonio, Texas said: ***for you people hoping to get hired***

Non-management folks, Union contracts will be up in some locations in April and others in August. My understanding is from reputable sources (1) AT&T will get all the people involved to work in good faith and then when other contracts are up, all people will be put out on strike at the same time. They did that last contract. But this time Ed Whitacre is not the CEO. So it will not be a short 4-day strike for appearances. (2)The sticking point: all the benefits you guys think you are going to get (i.e. insurance, sick days..)and keep, get ready to pay 100% for your insurance and personal sick days are going to be whittled down. (3) this means a long strike (possibly more then 3 months).You will think you are working at Walmart.

Management sales people: your sales quotas are being set so high you won't get much commission if any at all. THIS IS HAPPENING NOW. Most account managers are no longer getting paid commission.

You may think I'm full of BS, but my informants (from inside) have never been wrong during contract negotiations yet.

So be prepared.

this is no BS people. you need to be saving up now for the strike. sbc plays hardball and plays for keeps

75 months ago

If it was still SBC, everyone would have a prayer. Not now with Stephanson! I think I still have some vaseline left from the 1983 strike.

75 months ago

JAC in San Antonio, Texas said: If it was still SBC, everyone would have a prayer. Not now with Stephanson! I think I still have some vaseline left from the 1983 strike.

HAHAHAHAHAHA OMG

75 months ago

Back in the day, the Union was STRONG. I moved from Houston to San Antonio. These DL's here "sleep" with management never inforce things in the contract they should. Long story short, I took the jar to the Union Hall and made a real impression. These morons here throw out the Ceasar Chavez crap and then fold up like cheap chairs. Frankly, I'm sure Mr. Chavez rolled over in his grave many times because of this local.

75 months ago

I would also advise anyone thinking of going into debt for a large item..car, house, boat...whatever. make sure you are going to be able to make payments on it while your walking the picket line. if you dont think you can, may be better to wait

75 months ago

I agree. However, the newer generations don't necessarily understand what many even before us sacrificed to get better benefits. Strike or no, our economy is so bad, I wouldn't even put out the money for an outhouse if one was needed. Only the rich are getting richer.

Jessigirl in Georgia

75 months ago

I got an e-mail today telling me that the position has been closed. What does that mean? It took them 3 months to tell me that?

75 months ago

It means you didn't get the job and the position is no longer available.

JJ Jackson in Murfreesboro, Tennessee

75 months ago

I have seen some recent job posting for "Premises Technicians" for U-Verses and other things.

Does anyone know how much starting pay would be on this? Its located in the Murfreesboro/ Nashville Area?

75 months ago

U-Verse is a deregulated product just like cellular service. Therefore, it is not a Union job title. It will probably be less than a premise technician for land line (telco) service. I'm sorry I don't have an amount for the pay scale that I can give you.

75 months ago

so low starting pay i am guessing

75 months ago

just to let everyone know the sales position in Nashville, TN has been put on hold until futher notice I was told by the staffing mgr

75 months ago

JJ Jackson in Murfreesboro, Tennessee said: so low starting pay i am guessing

It will be lower than Union scale. For example, depending on the city and state, an outside tech (premise tech landline) might start out at $13 per hour. A non-union job would start out at about $11 per hour. THIS IS AN EXAMPLE AND NOT AN EXACT AMOUNT FOR THE JOB AND LOCATION YOU ARE ASKING ABOUT. Since you are inquiring about Ark., its in the 5 state region as SBC now AT&T. I'm trying to find my contract book to get a better amount for the landline tech. Can't find the book but will keep looking for you so you can have a better comparison.

75 months ago

Thanks for the help

nj_n_atl76 in atlanta, Georgia

75 months ago

completed the whole interview process back in April, heard nothing, reapplied and now I have my second BEI scheduled this week. My concern is that I have a Cingular cell bill prior to the merger and I'm wondering if that shows up on my credit check will I be disqualified.

75 months ago

Cingular was purchased by Alltel. So unless they reported the bill as a write off on your credit record, you should not have to worry.

Ghost whisperer

75 months ago

They cannot NOT hire you because you have bad credit. It is against the law. I know someone who filed bankruptcy and still got hired.

75 months ago

Not to quick there. With the Homeland Security Law, there are now loop holes. Your credit is checked, background checked and if an employer feels a person would be a risk (i.e. embezzlement, trust, etc.) no business has to hire you. Thank W and his gang. So yes, credit can be an issue not to be hired. Unless you have someone on the inside who will tell you that was the reason you were not hired, the prospective employee has no way of knowing.

For reason of race, religion, sex, age, a company is not supposed to discriminate.

staindfan in worcester, Massachusetts

75 months ago

is a sales associate the same as retail sales consultant?

75 months ago

A manager called me yesterday leaving a voicemail asking if i was still interested. Called me today and i missed it. I called back 5 minutes later and some random lady told me the job was filled... How does that work?

75 months ago

they moved to the next applicant because you couldnt be contacted sounds like. nearly happened to me back in 99. i drove 50 miles to tell them in person i wanted the job. reapply see if you dont get hired. sales is a revolving door with this company so there will be an opening soon enough.

75 months ago

If you received a call and missed it by say 30 min to an hour, then you called back and they said they job was filled, then the right hand didn't know what the left was doing. It might have been more then more than one person working on the applications and someone didn't let the others know they were waiting for a call back.

75 months ago

dburc in Knoxville, Tennessee said: they moved to the next applicant because you couldnt be contacted sounds like. nearly happened to me back in 99. i drove 50 miles to tell them in person i wanted the job. reapply see if you dont get hired. sales is a revolving door with this company so there will be an opening soon enough.

well that stinks.. My fault i guess.. I applied to like 5 different ones in my state after that call. Like 2 of them emailed back right away saying i didnt get it or whatever..and i havent seen anything from the others.. But when i applied for the one that i missed a call it took them a few days to call me.. So i hope a different one calls..Its weird..Im deff qualified for the job. Ive stated im willing to travel. Ill work any hours of any day.. I just really want to work for them. I really need a job to pay for school. I hope one of the other places calls me back.

75 months ago

JAC in San Antonio, Texas said: If you received a call and missed it by say 30 min to an hour, then you called back and they said they job was filled, then the right hand didn't know what the left was doing. It might have been more then more than one person working on the applications and someone didn't let the others know they were waiting for a call back.

they called, I got a voice mail.. I didnt respond. My fault my phones kinda messsed up.. But either way.. I got a call the next day around 12 in the after noon..i was in another room. I called back right away.. I asked for the manager who called me, and she said the manager said the job was filled... I just dont get if they couldnt get a hold of me a day before.. why would they call back to state the job was full.. Kinda pointless to even call me..

Milly R in Mobile, Alabama

75 months ago

staindfan in worcester, Massachusetts said: is a sales associate the same as retail sales consultant?

Doesn't sound like it .. sales associate is a call center position for the wireline side, and retail sales associate is an at&t Mobility retail store position.

Milly R in Mobile, Alabama

75 months ago

JAC in San Antonio, Texas said: Cingular was purchased by Alltel. So unless they reported the bill as a write off on your credit record, you should not have to worry.

JAC -- you can't be serious! JK

Cingular is the new AT&T Mobility. Cingular was jointly owned by SBC and Bellsouth, and, once the merger closed, it was renamed AT&T Mobility.

Verizon recently purchased (should close at the end of this year) Alltel.

: )

75 months ago

The Cingular name was purchased by Alltel. AT&T brought back their own company, AT&T Wireless. The sell of the Cingular Name was part of the agreement in order for the merger to be approved.

75 months ago

Milly R in Mobile, Alabama said: Doesn't sound like it .. sales associate is a call center position for the wireline side, and retail sales associate is an at&t Mobility retail store position.

You are correct. By the way I ran into a girl with AT&T that is a Sales Associate for landline. Nothing has changed. You are timed when you go to the bathroom. God forbid if its flu season and you have both ends going at the same time and take longer then they think you should.

marilynmonroe in chicago, Illinois

74 months ago

You don't want to work for at&t - at least not as a customer service rep in one of their call centers....I worked there, it's awful, the people they have working there come in wearing slippers and the trainers are lacking in the basic ability to educate. The turnover rate is incredible, people come and go like ants, which is why they are always recruiting.....don't bother, unless of course you have a AS, BA or masters in business administration......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

marilynmonroe in chicago, Illinois

74 months ago

JAC in San Antonio, Texas said: You are correct. By the way I ran into a girl with AT&T that is a Sales Associate for landline. Nothing has changed. You are timed when you go to the bathroom. God forbid if its flu season and you have both ends going at the same time and take longer then they think you should.

Absolutely right! They monitor your every move...it's not worth it, they encourage their customer service reps to lie to customers about what plan is the best for them and if E911 goes down....(if you use their digital network for phone service you don't have traditional 911 access) you'll never know......

74 months ago

I know of an employee who is out on a legitimate disability who just had surgery, management has said they don't believe it though she and her doctor have produced appropriate docs (and insurance has verified). They are demanding she come back now after 3 weeks or she will be fired. She works in sales landline (residence) has 22 yrs of service. Its only going to get worse as the end of the contract nears in certain areas. People who are not even eligible for medicare and have a LONG way off before being so are being pushed to get SSD before they are removed from Insurance Benefits they are entitled to!

74 months ago

Quality of employees has gone down tremendously. They don't want to provide benefits. If they can get people to quit before the 6 mos, they save tons of money. Its not the old AT&T that treated employees decent and took pride in the company. This is the new bean counters that could care less about people and more about bottom line. An employee is a number....that can easily be eliminated and another brought in and so on and so.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

I will have to take issue with anything said that puts down our network. As a network employee I can assure you AT&T has the best. Matter of a fact we are the basic structure for the world wide telecommunications network. If we didn't exist there wouldn't be an internet.

74 months ago

dburc in Knoxville, Tennessee said: I will have to take issue with anything said that puts down our network. As a network employee I can assure you AT&T has the best. Matter of a fact we are the basic structure for the world wide telecommunications network. If we didn't exist there wouldn't be an internet.

The Internet did not start with AT&T. I worked there for 32 yrs. Service is worse, since we lost Cingular, AT&T wireless drops more calls then Cingular ever did, I have the highest speed DSL through AT&T and its so fast its like watching paint dry, and when you call the Help Desk, you have to talk to someone in India. This is AMERICA! Those poor people over there wouldn't know Dallas from Dubai!

kay in Atlanta, Georgia

74 months ago

nj_n_atl76 in atlanta, Georgia said: Are there any AT&T Atlanta/Kennesaw, GA recent Sales Associate applicants here?

How has your application process been? I been through the entire process and completed everything about 3 weeks ago, but haven't heard anything either way. I'm just wondering if this is normal.

have you been or was called for an interview yet?

tcyneedsajob in Nashville, Tennessee

74 months ago

what part of jersey are you from? I'm from paterson

nj_n_atl76 in atlanta, Georgia

74 months ago

kay in Atlanta, Georgia said: have you been or was called for an interview yet?

I completed the whole process (test and BEI) back in April, didn't hear anything until mid-July and that was to come in again for another BEI. I went July 17th and haven't heard anything yet.

womp womp in Dallas, Georgia

73 months ago

I just got through the testing part of the Kennesaw position. I was all excited....is this company bad? there are a lot of unhappy workers on this blog, or does it depend on the state you are in

A AAP in Pensacola, Florida

73 months ago

I LOVE Att! lol. It really depends on where you live. I'm in florida and since we were Bellsouth, I work for a wonderful team. I get paid well,and the job's easy. I've heard good things about Kennesaw. You should be fine. Just be on time, don't miss days, and do your job and you'll like the job. It's the people who want "special" treatment like sick days who have a problem with working for ATT. The first six month be on your P's and Q's!

Good luck!

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.