rehire eligibility

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (26)

vctr in athens, Georgia

73 months ago

please read my question under the forum will att hire my with a record.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

KC Fan in California

73 months ago

Someone else on another post had the same question. I've been a manager at AT&T for 20 years and spent a few years in staffing. This could be one of many things. 1)this could be a mistake, in which case, did you keep copies of your old evaluations which prove you were in good standing before you left the company? 2) when you resigned, did you take a severance package? sometimes the papers you sign for voluntary termination have verbiage which states you cannot rehire within a certain time period. I've seen the time period 6-18 months. Maybe the staffing dept. never removed the flag on your record. 3) your evaluation was not properly updated in the system by your old manager. If you left mid-year, your old manager may not have completed your evaluation to give you proper credit 4) did you stay long enough to pass probation? typically that is 6 months. In any case, you should challenge (nicely) this status with the staffing manager/recruiter. Let him or her know this is incorrect. They do have to give you a reason for the "not rehireable" status. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

vctr in athens, Georgia

73 months ago

okay thanks so much for your input. i did leave on good standings, also i gave my 2wks notice. didn't take any kind of package. it was in 2000 when i left. i've contacted my old manager and he is looking into it. hopefully the process doesn't take to long. cause i think the classes are filling up and coming to and end soon.if you can think of anything else that may speed the process up please let me know. also the staffing recruiter did leave a message yesterday letting me know that she has gotten forwarded everything on to her supervisor and that she would be in touch. but last time it took forever for her to call i had to eventually call her back. how long do you suggest that i give her to call me back? i'll keep you posted on what's going on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

KC Fan in California

73 months ago

sounds like the ball is rolling, but you are right to keep in touch with the recruiter. i would give her 2-3 days to call you back. each time you talk to her, politely ask when will you hear from her. get an exact date, so when she doesn't call by that date, you can follow up with her 2-3 days later. "i will call you back" is so open ended. she has no commitment to call you back by a certain date. you want to be patient, but at the same time, this is your life. keep me posted.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

vctr in athens, Georgia

72 months ago

okay i will keep you posted thanks once again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

mskautz in Fullerton, California

71 months ago

I need to find out how to get rehired by AT&T. I'm in north orange county ca. Please help with any information.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

KC Fan in California

71 months ago

mskautz in Fullerton, California said: I need to find out how to get rehired by AT&T. I'm in north orange county ca. Please help with any information.

There is no "special" process to get rehired. Log on to the website and apply for an opening. There will be a box for you to check if you were previously employed by AT&T. Good luck. What is your background? I know there is a staffing office in Fullerton.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Forsakeme4all in Seattle, Washington

71 months ago

KC Fan in California said: Someone else on another post had the same question. I've been a manager at AT&T for 20 years and spent a few years in staffing. This could be one of many things. 1)this could be a mistake, in which case, did you keep copies of your old evaluations which prove you were in good standing before you left the company? 2) when you resigned, did you take a severance package? sometimes the papers you sign for voluntary termination have verbiage which states you cannot rehire within a certain time period. I've seen the time period 6-18 months. Maybe the staffing dept. never removed the flag on your record. 3) your evaluation was not properly updated in the system by your old manager. If you left mid-year, your old manager may not have completed your evaluation to give you proper credit 4) did you stay long enough to pass probation? typically that is 6 months. In any case, you should challenge (nicely) this status with the staffing manager/recruiter. Let him or her know this is incorrect. They do have to give you a reason for the "not rehireable" status. Good luck!

I was just wondering something since you've worked in the staffing department....

I worked in the call center here in Bothell, WA as a Business Care Rep. and I was fired for attendance. When I was fired, I wasn't even physically in the office when the confrence took place. In fact, my manager wasn't even there either. Basically what happened was a manager in training and another manager called me over the phone in a conference call and told me I was fired. I never signed anything and I didn't even bother to go back after that.

So my question is, am I even rehireable because I never signed anything? I am really curious to know; I really like my job. I think what the management did to me stinks. I was out on medical leave and some one didn't file something correctly and they said it was my fault. :-/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

KC Fan in California

71 months ago

Forsakeme4all in Seattle, Washington said: I was just wondering something since you've worked in the staffing department....

I worked in the call center here in Bothell, WA as a Business Care Rep. and I was fired for attendance. When I was fired, I wasn't even physically in the office when the confrence took place. In fact, my manager wasn't even there either. Basically what happened was a manager in training and another manager called me over the phone in a conference call and told me I was fired. I never signed anything and I didn't even bother to go back after that.

So my question is, am I even rehireable because I never signed anything? I am really curious to know; I really like my job. I think what the management did to me stinks. I was out on medical leave and some one didn't file something correctly and they said it was my fault. :-/

Unfortunately you do not have to sign anything to get fired...you can be fired via phone, email, text message...etc., as most jobs are "at-will". The employer or employee can terminate employment at any time for any reason. Now, whether it is legal or not to let someone go is the key. Employment laws regarding disability leave vary in each state. I really don't know what the laws are for Washington, but I do know California, which is more generous in regards to employee rights. You may be rehireable. How long ago did this happen? Where you mailed a letter telling you to return to work by a certain date or you would be fired? What paperwork did AT&T fail to file? You can check your rehire status with the HR dept or simply apply for a job to see what happens. There may be a strike in April/May 2009, which could be an opportunity for you to get your foot back in the door.

vctr in athens, Georgia

71 months ago

Does anyone now HR email or contact number for the Atlanta metro area and mainly conyers ga?

71 months ago

This happpened in August 2008. I didn't have return to work date sent since I was going to be on a long term disability for a sleep disorder. So the documentation on file would have been good until October of 2008 and then I would of had to submit new documentation.

The paperwork in question was for a leave of absence/FMLA which being handled by the leave's center. I had recieved the paperwork back in May of 2008 via us postal mail requesting that my doctor and I complete the paperwork and fax it back into the Leave's center. Both my doctor and I had made sure to fax the paperwork in prior to the dead line. I had checked on the status of the paperwork many times afterwards to make sure the paperwork was recieved.

I was under the impression everything was fine until august came around. The day I was terminated was one of the days I was out and then that's also the day I found out that my leave/fmla request had been denied just because the doctor forgot to sign one of the pieces of paper on the document. I was fired anyways because the leave's center and the management said that no extension can be made to correct the problem since the due date was back in may. Which makes no sense since because I had fax the document way before the due date. So basically.....all the days I was out for that reason were counted as attendance points against me and I was fired as a result.

I have a union here, they're working on it; but now they're saying it would take a year to get my job back (if they can). No I have no idea what to do with myself because I really loved working there, I planned my retirement around the thought of being with the company for a really long time. Not to much i'm going through some sort of funk because of it. No matter what that problem with management is, i'd still love to go back. Even if that means giving up my tenure after all this time, i'd start all over again as a newbie.

KC Fan in California

71 months ago

This whole scenario is so wrong! This is a case of HR and management not doing their job. I would consult an attorney. Get a free consultation so that you know your rights. The union is fine, but they tend to be limited in what they can do because they still need the company, so they don't want to cause too many waves to get one person's job back. This doesn't make sense. You're fired because the doctor didn't sign the paperwork? Hello! What about the case manager handling your disability case? They are supposed to ensure that everything is in order before it's too late. I would definitely seek legal advice. Why should you lose your job because of someone else's mistake? I'm sorry you have to go through this, but this is another case of big business taking advantage of folks. AT&T can be a good company, but only if you never get sick and come to work everyday on time. I'm sorry you had to go through this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

washington5060@bellsouth.net in Goose Creek, South Carolina

66 months ago

KC Fan in California said: Someone else on another post had the same question. I've been a manager at AT&T for 20 years and spent a few years in staffing. This could be one of many things. 1)this could be a mistake, in which case, did you keep copies of your old evaluations which prove you were in good standing before you left the company? 2) when you resigned, did you take a severance package? sometimes the papers you sign for voluntary termination have verbiage which states you cannot rehire within a certain time period. I've seen the time period 6-18 months. Maybe the staffing dept. never removed the flag on your record. 3) your evaluation was not properly updated in the system by your old manager. If you left mid-year, your old manager may not have completed your evaluation to give you proper credit 4) did you stay long enough to pass probation? typically that is 6 months. In any case, you should challenge (nicely) this status with the staffing manager/recruiter. Let him or her know this is incorrect. They do have to give you a reason for the "not rehireable" status. Good luck!

i wanted to ask a question I was a Sales manager for 3-4 years. I made a mistakes. I went out of town and used thr company card. It was brought to my attention when I received the expenses report via email. When I realize what I've done I tries to correct it. but couldn't since we just got new cards. I went to a mqnqger thta been with the company for 36 years and explain. I was advised to go to my center director and explain wht happen, I went downstairs to my bank to get a cashiers check to show I was correcting the problem but before that I did used the card tow other time but it was just to rent a car but it was just a hold on the amount.. I had my insurqaqnces information and debit card on file they just needed a valid cc on file nothing was charged to the card. Once I explain to my CD what happen, she advised me that she had to call HR and will get back in contact

washington5060@bellsouth.net in Goose Creek, South Carolina

66 months ago

with me. After a week passed I got termintaed. I felt it was wrong because I came to them and told what happen, I never had any problems since I've been with the company for 4 years 9 months. Nothing in my records at all. There were other managers that used it and used it serveral time but just paid it off. The center director give one of the manager the okay to use but paid within a certain time. I juust felt that it was taken to far and yes I know that the card was used for personal reason but I didn't hide it, I camee to them to advised of what happen. What are my chnages of getting my job back. I loved the company and loved my job

JL0121 in Itta Bena, Mississippi

57 months ago

I was fired from the phone company accused of using proprietary information. I was told I didn't need union representation when giving a statement regarding the situation (carpooled with another worker who had info with him). I called my union steward anyway and was told by him that he wasn't needed, to go give a statement, and sign it. Three weeks later, I'm jobless. I've contacted other union workers (these members told me that I shouldn't have been denied union reps) to help me in building a case, but my district hasn't gotten back with me in three more weeks. I want my job back. Does anyone have any suggestions on the steps I need to take other than patience or know of similar situations and the disciplinary action taken? Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

JL0121 in Itta Bena, Mississippi said: I was fired from the phone company accused of using proprietary information. I was told I didn't need union representation when giving a statement regarding the situation (carpooled with another worker who had info with him). I called my union steward anyway and was told by him that he wasn't needed, to go give a statement, and sign it. Three weeks later, I'm jobless. I've contacted other union workers (these members told me that I shouldn't have been denied union reps) to help me in building a case, but my district hasn't gotten back with me in three more weeks. I want my job back. Does anyone have any suggestions on the steps I need to take other than patience or know of similar situations and the disciplinary action taken? Thanks.

I haven't been here since my incident with at&t in august 2008 and wanted to let you know what happened with the union. Well JL0121, i don't want to dissapoint you, but the union is worthless. I lost my case even with all the evidence i brought to them. It just seems to me the at&t is too big and the union just doesn't case. I waited almost year to hear back from them and after the 3rd appeal they tell me there is nothing they can do. Then why did I pay my union dues? So you guys can sit with your thumb up your @$$ and say your trying to solve the problem? I didn't see any results at all. In fact, I had to keep hounding them every few weeks or so just get some information because no one would bother to call me. The last call I made to check on my status was a year later and they tell me they were not able to get my job back. My best advice for you is to try your best to move on and find a new job in this economy the best you can. Because the union and at&t will not take care of you.

56 months ago

Forsakeme4all-

Do you know if there's a time period before you can reapply with the company if the union can't help (even if you really don't want to)? or when your fired, is it over for good? They offered the other guy just yesterday his job back and he was let go for the exact same reason (terminated his temporary period..told him they were giving him a break, so he could re-bid)...I gave them 6 yrs.,this guy's giving them 2 months! this is obsurd! Doesn't he sign the same paperwork we all do?

56 months ago

washington5060@bellsouth.net in Goose Creek, South Carolina said: with me. After a week passed I got termintaed. I felt it was wrong because I came to them and told what happen, I never had any problems since I've been with the company for 4 years 9 months. Nothing in my records at all. There were other managers that used it and used it serveral time but just paid it off. The center director give one of the manager the okay to use but paid within a certain time. I juust felt that it was taken to far and yes I know that the card was used for personal reason but I didn't hide it, I camee to them to advised of what happen. What are my chnages of getting my job back. I loved the company and loved my job

Have you gotten your job back?

kelsey in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina

56 months ago

No, I have not

56 months ago

The union is meeting next week about my case and won't allow me to be there! How do you find out if there's a no hire in your file? And if it is one, is there a time limit they'll remove it? So lost with this, spinning wheels here!

56 months ago

JL0121 in Itta Bena, Mississippi said: Forsakeme4all-

Do you know if there's a time period before you can reapply with the company if the union can't help (even if you really don't want to)? or when your fired, is it over for good? They offered the other guy just yesterday his job back and he was let go for the exact same reason (terminated his temporary period..told him they were giving him a break, so he could re-bid)...I gave them 6 yrs.,this guy's giving them 2 months! this is obsurd! Doesn't he sign the same paperwork we all do?

That depends on when they dump the personal files. After two years, they should need them anymore. After they've dump the personal files, you are not in the system anymore hence there is no trace of you ever working there. So, short answer is two years. Then I would try again. But by then, you might have something better. As the temp worker, they sign something completely different. I use to work with a guy at Cingular (aka At&t Mobility) that was hired through a temp agency and was fired on the job while working through the temp agency. He then came back and applied directly through the company and way able to start working a month later. He had to go through the interview process all over again though. Again, this was because he was temping through an agency. Anyways, Chin up, everything will be fine. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

Thanks MUCH! This has been an ordeal and I'm placing it in the Lord's Hands...it's His will because I'm going to end up with a heart attack if I keep worrying. HA!

Sandi Mesplay in Shawnee, Kansas

48 months ago

I was wondering if it is possible to ever get a job back at At&t after being fired? I there an amount of time that you would have to wait say 3 or 5 years or is it always on record that you were fired?

Antoine Stalbert in Cary, North Carolina

29 months ago

Here's my situation. I've recently applied to a program analyst position with AT&T GSI division. I was told that I was flagged in their system as a non-rehire. My first thought was that this was impossible because i had never worked for AT&T before. The hiring manager informed me that I was showing up in the system as a "termination for cause" from my employment at Cingular Wireless in 2003. I used to work for Cingular Wireless as a teir II technical support representative at a call center. I left this position in 2003 before Cingular was even acquired by AT&T Wireless. I was under the impression I left on good terms. How can I be flagged in AT&T's system when at the time I left Cingular they were not part of AT&T? Is there a time limit on these flags? (its been almost 10yrs) What can I do to challenge this flag if I think it is incorrect?

rfrf101 in Germantown, Tennessee

26 months ago

Antoine, you were probably flagged because technically, Cingular to AT&T was just a name change only. Cingular was owned by AT&T and Bell south and when AT&T purchased Bellsouth shares, they decided to rebrand.

Antoine Stalbert in Cary, North Carolina said: Here's my situation. I've recently applied to a program analyst position with AT&T GSI division. I was told that I was flagged in their system as a non-rehire. My first thought was that this was impossible because i had never worked for AT&T before. The hiring manager informed me that I was showing up in the system as a "termination for cause" from my employment at Cingular Wireless in 2003. I used to work for Cingular Wireless as a teir II technical support representative at a call center . I left this position in 2003 before Cingular was even acquired by AT&T Wireless. I was under the impression I left on good terms. How can I be flagged in AT&T's system when at the time I left Cingular they were not part of AT&T? Is there a time limit on these flags? (its been almost 10yrs) What can I do to challenge this flag if I think it is incorrect?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

crwn88rb in Central Valley, California

3 months ago

I was previously employed at Cingular Wireless in The Atwater, CA call center. I am wondering how that affects my hireability with AT&T? I left to take care of a sick family member, 10 years ago.

Thank you for any input you may have on this!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.