wire tech job process

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 141)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

vaughn4 in pace, Florida

16 months ago

Hello my orientation day is May 17th. I had thought it was April 17th but I Misunderstood him.

I do not know much more right now except what I will be payed and my orientation date .. You can call your recruiter like I did.

Calling him may have helped me get put on the list I do not know how it works.
But otherwise I probably would not have heard anything this early. As he is making the official calls the beginning of May for are area .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Kris in Milton, Florida

16 months ago

vaughn4 in pace, Florida said: Hello my orientation day is May 17th. I had thought it was April 17th but I Misunderstood him.

I do not know much more right now except what I will be payed and my orientation date .. You can call your recruiter like I did.

But otherwise I probably would not have heard anything this early. As he is making the official calls the beginning of May for are area .

Thanks for the info! Ill give my recruiter a call Monday. Hope to have the background results by then. If I get more info that sounds beneficial to us all I will update you. Tks again!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kris in Milton, Florida

16 months ago

Tks for the info, I will contact my recruiter Monday. Hopefully my background check will be back. If I learn anymore info I will update you. Tks again!

GUNNY in Picayune, Mississippi

16 months ago

I found this string and just had to comment. I work for AT&T and started out the same as all you guys. Lost my Job, Laid off, and am a US Navy Retiree after 22 years of service. Was looking for something stable and close to home and didn't want to travel at all. I am a OR/SPD Technician by trade and have been in Medicine for over 25 years. I see all you guys have questions about the process, so here it goes.

1. First you have to apply for the Job, it doesn't matter where just apply, I will explain later about this.
2. You will receive and email to take the MFT 1 or 2 test, there is not a good way to study, but is mostly common sense, and a lot of Mechanical type questions. Only your recruiter will be able to see your exam score, you will only recieve a Qualified or Not Qualified on your exam. And you will know as soon as you take your exam.
3. Based on your score, and yes there is a score on your test, the recruiter will contact you, the lower you score on the test the longer it will be. If you score in the upper to middle 90's you will be contacted right away. If not it could be 6-8 months, or when hiring is slow.
4. Vets do get a 5-10 point pref for this test.
5. After you take your test and the recruiter calls you, you will have to go in for what is called a Real Job Interview, you go into a AT@T Office and watch a couple of videos and take another test, which is verbal with a Manager, this is the Prem Tech Exam, it is just a overall picture of how you will interact with the customers, no pass or fail here, this is the time you have to sell yourself to your manager.
6. Your Manager will also ask you where you live, down to the address, they will try and get you as close to a AT@T location as to where you live, but you can choose to take a position if it is open anywhere there is an opening.
7. After your RJI, you will have to wait approx 2 weeks for a another recruiter to call you and go over the basics of the job and if you want it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

16 months ago

8. If you still want the position AT@T will then send you for the Drug test, Physical and the Physical ability test.
9. After your Drug Test and Physical a Third Recruiter will call you and offer you a formal job. This person will offer you an amount per hour. The amt per hour can be between 10-16.55 an hour, your resume and prior knowledge of the job or related fields will dictate what that amount is.
10. The recruiter will also tell you when your start date is on that phone call.

That is the start to finish process, but this process can be as short as 4 weeks if you score really well on the exam and there is an opening in your area, or as long as a year if you do poorly on the exam or if there are no openings in your area. This is all dependant on a lot of factors such as Availibility of a job in your area and your test score, your test score being the biggest factor. The higher you score the quicker the process. You will receive a raise about every 3-4 months for your first year up to 20.00 and hour, which without a degree is unheard of where I am from. Not too many people are patient enough to make it through the whole process, that is why they are looking for people all the time. It is a hard, hot, cold, job but if you hang in there with it you will move up the food chain quick. It is a stable UNION job. And in this economy without a degree not a bad choice. I hope all of this has helped.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No Reply - Report abuse

16 months ago

Just wanted to comment on one other thing. I see a lot of people complaining about the hours of the job, to me that is idiotic. That is called job security. Join the military and see how many hours you work, I have never heard of anyone complaining about having a pay check, so why would you complain when you have work to do? Try driving a truck and see how many hours you work a day AVG/14-16, at least you are home every night, yes it is tiring work, but work is work People.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

vaughn4 in pace, Florida

16 months ago

GUNNY in Picayune, Mississippi said: 8. If you still want the position AT@T will then send you for the Drug test, Physical and the Physical ability test.
9. After your Drug Test and Physical a Third Recruiter will call you and offer you a formal job. This person will offer you an amount per hour. The amt per hour can be between 10-16.55 an hour, your resume and prior knowledge of the job or related fields will dictate what that amount is.
10. The recruiter will also tell you when your start date is on that phone call.

That is the start to finish process, but this process can be as short as 4 weeks if you score really well on the exam and there is an opening in your area, or as long as a year if you do poorly on the exam or if there are no openings in your area. This is all dependant on a lot of factors such as Availibility of a job in your area and your test score, your test score being the biggest factor. The higher you score the quicker the process. You will receive a raise about every 3-4 months for your first year up to 20.00 and hour, which without a degree is unheard of where I am from. Not too many people are patient enough to make it through the whole process, that is why they are looking for people all the time. It is a hard, hot, cold, job but if you hang in there with it you will move up the food chain quick. It is a stable UNION job. And in this economy without a degree not a bad choice. I hope all of this has helped.

Thanks for the info ..I have done all the steps you posted.
but for me they couldn't contact one of my former employers so I am wondering if that didn't hold me up???

then another employer said I didn't work for him on the date I had put down.
I got everything straight in the end but I think it cost me some time.

Kris in Milton, Florida

16 months ago

Hello everyone, my background and drug test cleared 2 wks ago today. I already received a conditional offer, but still no call on a firm offer and details such as training dates. Anyone know of any upcoming training dates or has anyone received a call? Thanks!

Jarred_ShermanTX in Austin, Texas

16 months ago

Kris in Milton, Florida said: Hello everyone, my background and drug test cleared 2 wks ago today. I already received a conditional offer, but still no call on a firm offer and details such as training dates. Anyone know of any upcoming training dates or has anyone received a call? Thanks!

Your Recruiter will be the one to call you, but since it's been 2 weeks - a little lengthy seeing as you completed the background check - I'd probably give her/him a call or send a follow-up email to inquire. No reason to keep yourself waiting.

Kris in Milton, Florida

15 months ago

vaughn4 in pace, Florida said: Hello my orientation day is May 17th. I had thought it was April 17th but I Misunderstood him.

Hey, anymore word on your May 17th training?

vaughn4 in pace, Florida

15 months ago

Hello I did talk to him over a week ago.
THe dollar amount he had told me I would get changed . He did assure me I still had the job.
But If you think about it he submits people he picks to att. And its up to att to pick who they want.
I am slowly loosing hope. Good luck

Kris in Milton, Florida

15 months ago

vaughn4 in pace, Florida said: Hello I did talk to him over a week ago.
THe dollar amount he had told me I would get changed . He did assure me I still had the job.
But If you think about it he submits people he picks to att. And its up to att to pick who they want.
I am slowly loosing hope. Good luck

Wow! You would think they wouldn't spend the money for all the testing and background check just to not get the job. If I hear something ill let you know. I got an email from Frank last week asking what my preferred location was and that he would be in contact. Still no firm job offer though. Good luck!!

vaughn4 in pace, Florida

15 months ago

Kris in Milton, Florida said: Wow! You would think they wouldn't spend the money for all the testing and background check just to not get the job. If I hear something ill let you know. I got an email from Frank last week asking what my preferred location was and that he would be in contact. Still no firm job offer though. Good luck!!

I got the same email. I really don't know how it works either. Just assuming. I'll keep u posted also.

Kris in Milton, Florida

15 months ago

vaughn4 in pace, Florida said: I got the same email. I really don't know how it works either. Just assuming. I'll keep u posted also.

Tks!

Bayou_boy in Hammond, Louisiana

15 months ago

Ok I've read multiple post and discussions. Still have not found a similar situation as mine. I applied for the wire tech position online March 25th. I've made it through testing, phone interview, rjp, hireright, physical and drug testing. I got the final offer telling me about pay and when orientation begins. I was told I would be receiving a final offer packet about 2 weeks before orientation. That is about three days from now. but my status still says awaiting hr review. I received the final offer 2 weeks ago. and I'm hesitant about giving my current employer my notice due to the status. I emailed my recruiter but since it is sunday I am not expecting a response today. Should I be receiving the packet in the mail or via e-mail? What does the packet contain? Has anyone else made it through the process completely and their status does not say complete? Thanks for reading. All info appreciated

vaughn4 in pace, Florida

15 months ago

You can call Hireright and find out why there could be something wrong . Mine said the same thing and it wasn't until I called them I found out

15 months ago

vaughn4 in pace, Florida said: You can call Hireright and find out why there could be something wrong . Mine said the same thing and it wasn't until I called them I found out

I believe I am finished with hireright their status is 100% complete. my recruiter is with att and gave me the final offer and the status that says awaiting hr review is on the att careers page.

Kris in Milton, Florida

15 months ago

You have gotten as far as me although I have not rcmd info on orientation. Are you also starting May 17th. I am alo hesitant to give a 2 wks notice.

15 months ago

Kris in Milton, Florida said: You have gotten as far as me although I have not rcmd info on orientation. Are you also starting May 17th. I am alo hesitant to give a 2 wks notice.

I was told verbally that I am having orientation on the 24th. what does your status say on the AT&T careers page?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kris in Metairie, Louisiana

15 months ago

Bayou_boy in Hammond, Louisiana said: I was told verbally that I am having orientation on the 24th. what does your status say on the AT&T careers page?

Awaiting hr review, when were you told this info?

15 months ago

Kris in Metairie, Louisiana said: Awaiting hr review, when were you told this info?

14 days ago, and my recruiter Susan called me and said they received my hireright info and drug test and physical info. AT&T wanted to give me a firm offer and she discussed pay and that orientation was booked up for the closest date and it would be a month "24th of may" until i could go to orientation. Hireright also emailed me a copy of the background check. did you receive a copy? if not i think you can log in to their site and see it. did you apply for the wire tech/prem tech position? at the RJP the managers told us that training will be in Jackson Mississippi or ocean springs mississippi. If your background check is 100% complete and its been at least a week since your physical and drug test you probably should have got a call unless there was an issue. I did my drug/physical at concentra off of Williams in Kenner.

powerstrokin06 in Mississippi

15 months ago

So what are you guys experience levels and starting pay offers? I have testing this Saturday. Just wondering how experience and in what fields vs starting pay is.

15 months ago

powerstrokin06 in Mississippi said: So what are you guys experience levels and starting pay offers? I have testing this Saturday. Just wondering how experience and in what fields vs starting pay is.

I have relative work experience and schooling in this field and I got middle range starting pay and offered 3 raises a year plus a cost of living raise

15 months ago

Bayou_boy in Hammond, Louisiana said: I have relative work experience and schooling in this field and I got middle range starting pay and offered 3 raises a year plus a cost of living raise

What exactly is relative work experience? I have 10+ years as a Satellite TV/Internet contractor doing both res and com jobs up to and including headend units so I'm just wondering. Does a Prem/Wire Tech drive company truck? and if so do you drive it home or pickup at shop every morning?

Tech in Oneonta, Alabama

15 months ago

GUNNY in Picayune, Mississippi said: 8. If you still want the position AT@T will then send you for the Drug test, Physical and the Physical ability test.

YOU WILL NOT RECIVE A RAISE EVERY 3-4 MONTHS , u will get a raise every 6 months , raise will be dictated by wage 6 pay scale

Tech in Oneonta, Alabama

15 months ago

FYI , ST ( Service Techs) will be surplused soon and will allowed to bump lowest seniority wire techs , FYI good luck to u all

Tech in Oneonta, Alabama

15 months ago

jcaleb93 in Foley, Alabama said: Not really true. The prem tech's used to not do pole climbing, and did not have to attend pole climbing schools. They used to have techs for wiring from poles to house and the prem techs just did application to in home installs. Now that these two positions are merging to keep from cut backs on prem tech's, they are giving the job title Wire Technician. Who will now be in charge of everything. In home installation , wiring from pole, ect... The wire techs now have to go through pole climbing school during training.

Same thing ... prem/wire tech , but for legal issues dealing with contract AT&T changed named from prem to wire

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

15 months ago

Tech in Oneonta, Alabama said: YOU WILL NOT RECIVE A RAISE EVERY 3-4 MONTHS , u will get a raise every 6 months , raise will be dictated by wage 6 pay scale

i was told on my final offer that due to my schooling i got a credit that enabled me 3 raises a year plus a cost of living raise. So shouldn't that be every 3 months or so??

Kris in Milton, Florida

15 months ago

Tech in Oneonta, Alabama said: FYI , ST ( Service Techs) will be surplused soon and will allowed to bump lowest seniority wire techs , FYI good luck to u all

So your basically saying someone else can take our job? I can't see why the company would invest so much time and money into a new hire to to lay them off.

Tech in Oneonta, Alabama

15 months ago

Kris in Milton, Florida said: So your basically saying someone else can take our job? I can't see why the company would invest so much time and money into a new hire to to lay them off.

Well good luck , and if I were u I would look in to the Union contract !!!

Kris in Milton, Florida

15 months ago

So I got the call Thursday that my orientation is may 24th. Any updates on your training on the 17th?

vaughn4 in pace, Florida

15 months ago

He emailed me last Monday. Said he still wanted to hire my the 17th was working on my money. Haven't heard nothing since

vaughn4 in pace, Florida

15 months ago

He just emailed me. Pending my wage credit. May 24th

vaughn4 in pace, Florida

15 months ago

ok I talked to him he said to put my two weeks notice in and I start on the 24th Pensacola and is doing my paper work for payroll ) good luck to anyone trying it sure takes a long time.

my thoughts in Waukesha, Wisconsin

15 months ago

For those looking for more info, large post try

m.topix.com/forum/dallas/TR37JEH86FO62J943/p331

my thoughts in Waukesha, Wisconsin

15 months ago

Bayou_boy in Hammond, Louisiana said: i was told on my final offer that due to my schooling i got a credit that enabled me 3 raises a year plus a cost of living raise. So shouldn't that be every 3 months or so??

Wire tech from start to Max is four years with auto pay increases every six months or a total of eight wages increase if hired at bottom. You have received credit based on schooling that puts at three steps out of eight (Max can start at I believe is step four), meaning you have five more steps (2.5 years) before reaching Max pay rate.

In addition there is a once per year increase but I would not refer to it as a cost of living (implies tied to inflation) but rather a union negotiated pay increase of 2.25% to all steps that occurs at the start of each year in the contract, for the SE region I believe that it the beginning of September for more info district3.cwa-union.org/pages/cwa_d3_att_se_ta_highlights

vaughn4 in pace, Florida

15 months ago

My official offer came as a email and it just. States what I will make weekly at 40 hrs. It doesn't say anything about. Raises. Is that how everyone else's offer was??

vaughn4 in pace, Florida

15 months ago

Kris how's it going for you

Kris in Milton, Florida

15 months ago

vaughn4 in pace, Florida said: Kris how's it going for you

Yep that is like mine as well. No mention of raises. Any word on where your training is?

vaughn4 in pace, Florida

15 months ago

Kris in Milton, Florida said: Yep that is like mine as well. No mention of raises. Any word on where your training is?

Frank told me you get a raise every 6 months and you get payed bi weekly. Not sure where training will be .. you gonna be at the Pine Forest office Friday?

Shabutie in Jacksonville, Florida

15 months ago

I took my test 5/15/13 and passed with a "qualified" How long is the timelime for guys so far?

vaughn4 in pace, Florida

15 months ago

I was scheduled for orientation originally march 9th but there. Were a few hold ups on my background info. I didn't finish my test. Ran out of time but I passed

vaughn4 in pace, Florida

15 months ago

March 8th

Shabutie in Jacksonville, Florida

15 months ago

Do you work for them now? How long was it from when you took the test to a phone call?

vaughn4 in pace, Florida

15 months ago

I think it was a week after for me.. But it will vary for everyone . Gunny up above posted the exact steps you will go through. its a slow process regardless hang in there. I start Friday orientation at 9 am

santy

15 months ago

23 1561 in Clarkston, Georgia said: Well. I applied for a local Wire Tech job. Took, and passed the aptitude test 2-5-13. Att.com says I am qualified as of 2-7-13. Anyone know what the next step is and how long it takes? I am in Knoxville and under the job opening. It says ongoing. What should I expect here? Thanks in advance.

Well it toke me almost 6 months for the whole process just got a call yesterday and i got hired. But like I said it will take a while, and they might call you or email you for the next step which is interview, after you pass that then is the physical and drug test, and lastly is the background check. but to be honest i taught they would never call me back. So just be patient and keep working were you at or find soemthing to do in the mean while. This is all inf I can give you and good luck to all that is applying to AT&T

AJN in Jacksonville, Florida

15 months ago

23 1561 in Clarkston, Georgia said: Well. I applied for a local Wire Tech job. Took, and passed the aptitude test 2-5-13. Att.com says I am qualified as of 2-7-13. Anyone know what the next step is and how long it takes? I am in Knoxville and under the job opening. It says ongoing. What should I expect here? Thanks in advance.

I took the test today. I was told that a representative from Human Resources would call and schedule the phone interview after he/she explained the work hours and pay. You will then have the option to accept the offer or decline. If you accept, HR will then schedule a face to face interview. If you pass the interview, you when receive another off finalizing the process. If you still accept at that point you will be scheduled for orientation and the rest is history! Hope that will give you and others some insight...Good Luck Everyone!

15 months ago

Well I'll chime in I applied online Apr30, 2013, took TMFT II test on May 11, got the call for RJP and 1 on 1 and went on May 23. The RJP lasted about 3.5 hrs with 12 of us and I got a conditional Job Offer 3 hrs later at 8pm. Went and did piss test and physical next day and initiated background check before I went all on May 24th. Been on standby since so we'll see..... Status shows pending HR review of job skills and work experience. I am a 10 veteran Contractor for Dish Network, Directv and Hughesnet Satellite systems.....

SAHD in Lexington, South Carolina

14 months ago

Those of you who have started... How long did it take between the drugtest/physical to the final offer? I submitted my background check info on 5/21 and did my drugtest/physical on 5/22 and haven't heard anything back yet. I emailed on 6/3 and she said my background check was 90% complete and I should hear something within the next few days.

It's 6/14 and still nothing... HR site shows background check as "In Progress"

tryingintexas in Houston, Texas

14 months ago

I hope it doesn't take that long for me. I submitted everything for background on the 12th and did the drug screening on yesterday the 13th. I was told 3 to 5 days.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.