Keep seeing that there's no balance between home and work life

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (14)

CuriousKate in Youngstown, Ohio

12 months ago

On Glass Door I keep seeing that people are listing that there's no home/work life balance.

Can anyone tell me what they mean by this?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

12 months ago

Guess I should mention I'm seeing that under the Retail Sales Consultant position reviews!

catfish503 in portland, Oregon

12 months ago

CuriousKate in Youngstown, Ohio said: Guess I should mention I'm seeing that under the Retail Sales Consultant position reviews!

They work you to death where you're working more than you're spending time with your family (home life)... =\

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

12 months ago

Are we expected to work past store hours?

Jobseeker84 in Atlanta, Georgia

12 months ago

CuriousKate in Youngstown, Ohio said: On Glass Door I keep seeing that people are listing that there's no home/work life balance.

You work evenings, nights, weekends , days and any other times they need you on short notice. If it's anything like Bank of America, you work off the clock to, until your work is complete, even if it's past your scheduled time to go home. Majority of companies are like this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

rackham12 in Central, Mississippi

12 months ago

What they mean is long hours and most weekends and since you are likely to be new person it depends on seniority to get a decent schedule so you might be closing up the store most days and you do not clock out until the end of shift and break I don't know what company does that

catfish503 in portland, Oregon

12 months ago

rackham12 in Central, Mississippi said: you do not clock out until the end of shift and break I don't know what company does that

Some airline jobs do. Flight Attendants get paid from the time the cabin door shuts to when it gets to its destination and the doors open, basically airtime only. They don't get paid for the hours they have to arrive before the plane takes off or cleaning up the cabin after the plane lands...so much for a glamorous job! =b

rackham12 in Central, Mississippi

12 months ago

That's unfortunate! I am thankful for not having to work off the clock

Bluetea in Texas

12 months ago

CuriousKate in Youngstown, Ohio said: On Glass Door I keep seeing that people are listing that there's no home/work life balance.

If the job posting says: * Must be able to work nights, weekends and Christmas Day, you are looking at a job without a "work/life" balance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

12 months ago

I was expecting something horrible after reading those reviews and seeing that. I'm used to nights and weekends as well as holidays anyway.

Can someone tell me if I am expected to pay for my own drug test? The email I got just said to print the email and take it with me to the lab. Nothing else specific

Bluetea in Texas

12 months ago

CuriousKate in Youngstown, Ohio said: I was expecting something horrible after reading those reviews and seeing that. I'm used to nights and weekends as well as holidays anyway.

Can someone tell me if I am expected to pay for my own drug test? The email I got just said to print the email and take it with me to the lab. Nothing else specific

I never have but I would call first.

Mimii in Altamonte Springs, Florida

12 months ago

CuriousKate in Youngstown, Ohio said: I was expecting something horrible after reading those reviews and seeing that. I'm used to nights and weekends as well as holidays anyway.

Can someone tell me if I am expected to pay for my own drug test? The email I got just said to print the email and take it with me to the lab . Nothing else specific

No you do not. I figure you already know this by now but I posted an answer just in case someone else was wondering who read this.

Sb23 in New York, New York

12 months ago

I've been working for this company for about 4 months now. The work/life balance is something that you'll be used to if you have a background in retail as I do. Every market varies slightly by which union guidelines they're under, but it's all basically the same. Scheduling is seniority based, meaning that the most senior people choose their schedule before you do. In most stores that means you'll have mostly closing and weekend shifts, which is fine if you want to make money!! Senior reps have had time to build up a client base, so it's easier for them to hit quota while working 9-5 kind of hours.
This is the only complaint I have about working for this company, I would like some flexibility with my schedule. Also, be ready for long shifts if you work on Sundays. It's a shorter day for the store to be open, so your weekday shifts are lo get you to 40 hrs.
Otherwise, I love working for AT&T! The training was really good, my co workers and managers are excellent, and there is endless opportunity to move up if you're motivated and flexible. The way I look at it, I'm paying my dues with all of these long days and weekend/holiday shifts, so that I can be promoted quicker into a position where I can work better hours (My goal is in Indirect Sales Managing)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

y8x in Yonkers, New York

12 months ago

it's a bad balance of work/home life because it's retail so you are expected to work retail hours.
Always opening and off weekends is going to hurt you in hitting quotas as a majority of the traffic depending on the store is
in the afternoons/weekends. Granted that changes depending on the location, some stores might be a lot different.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.