Things you should know about a sales position with AT&T wireless

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 87)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Mimii in Altamonte Springs, Florida

16 months ago

Being someone who has worked in the wireless industry, I personally agree and disagree with what you wrote. Wireless in general is a very time consuming job but you can still have a personal life. I have a child and worked for Tmobile and still found time to spend with my family. From my experience with Tmobile, I had more control over my schedule once I had been there for a few months. My shifts consisted of morning, mid, and closing shifts. You stated the hours were like 8:30am to 9:30pm.... Were you a manger or assistant manager? As a sales associate I never had crazy shifts like that unless I volunteered to do a double. As far as being with a customer over an hour and a half.. That can happen but is not the norm. In most cases it's up to you to speed along the process and close the deal or resolve whatever issue they are having best to your capability. Also, with any job you work you have to at least give two weeks notice sometimes 3 whenever requesting days off unless u call in sick. I'm sorry your experience wasn't pleasant but not all stores are like that but I wish you luck in your career anyways

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

Katie D in New Lenox, Illinois

16 months ago

I used to work for Tmobile as well and I didn't have to request days off 60 days in advance. And no, most jobs give u personal days to take when u wish. If my kid gets sick tomorrow I could call off and use a sick day instead of getting a point, t mobile does not have a point system nor do they have unrealistic goals, such as selling home security systems, cable, Internet, home phone service etc. yes AT&T has more to offer but Comon ... Who has an extra 1000 to drop for a home security system and an extra 50 a month to spend on it when they came in just to buy a simple cell phone. And yes I still see my kids, on my days off, but if they want me home by 7 to take them to a movie, ha that won't happen cause at AT&T they don't let u hide in the back your last half hr like they do at Tmobile just so u can leave on time. I have been in retail sales over 12 years and AT&T is by far the worst company to work for.. so until u work for AT&T, u have no idea what's its like. Thanks for the reply though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Mimii in Altamonte Springs, Florida

16 months ago

If you don't mind me asking, have you thought of switching professions? If your looking for a 9-5 job I recommend a secretarial or administrative job at a hospital or clinic. I have family members that work for the main hospital here In Florida and they seem pretty happy with their schedules, a typical day being 8-5. Sats and Sundays off

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

16 months ago

Jobs are scarce.. Plus AT&T pays well if I don't mind all the bs. And yes... I'm looking. I'm just warning the people that are considering AT&T.. I don't wanna see anyone make the same mistake I made.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

y8x in Alabama

16 months ago

To touch on the managing tactics, i do agree that it's a problem. You have to understand that they also have jobs and thats to do exactly that. They need to have observations done and make sure people are following their steps or else they get written up. A lot has changed and quotas have become pretty crazy with all the things that require you to sell, but as long as you are doing what they say and make sure you hit the goals to avoid getting written up but the automatic goals system then you should be okay. Don't fall into the trap of setting high goals for yourself and then not being able to hit it. They will try and get a number from you, and then hold you accountable for it. As long as you never give them a solid number and just keep saying you will do the most you can then you will be fine. They can't force you to over achieve, but they can hold you accountable for not hitting the company goal.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

16 months ago

Yes, I understand that the mangers have a required jobs to do, but they don't have to be ignorant in getting their points across and trying to create robots. its not a friendly place to work. It's just funny how my kid in 3rd grade has less rules..
As far as the manger, I'm sure if he told every employee how terrible the work environment would be, then no one would work here.
And, as far as being the low man on the totem pole, well that's to be accepted at any job, but I have been here for over 3 yrs and my seniority comes and goes.. I was the # 2 guy for a few months , then somebody transfers to my store and pushes my seniority down.. Now that bs... I understand they might have been with the company longer, but it should go by how long I've been in that particular store.
I agree with making a vacation weeks way in advance, maybe I should have been more clear. Lets say on the 4th of the month I find out my kid has a parent teachers conference in a couple weeks, but I work that day.. I can't take a vac day. I'd have to take a point and if u get 4 points in 6 months u could be fired..I also had and experience 2 yrs ago where I bought airline tix way in advance but got denied my request for the days I needed off due to biz needs lol.. No joke so I had to either eat the tix or take points.. My point is, with kids AT&T is a hard place to work while raising a family. I'm trying to get the word out to people that may be considering a job with AT&T that have a family that they know what they are getting into, because the hiring managers won't tell u that you'll have no life.
And, yes they schedule me for 40 hrs but that doesn't mean I work 40 hrs more like 55 a week, it's good money , but if I get a customer at 545 and I'm off at 6 most of the time your stuck at least an extra hr, maybe more..so forget about making plans on the days you work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

16 months ago

And lunches.. Sometimes when I work 9:30-7:30 I might not get to eat until 5:30.. No joke!!!!( Based on biz needs) they might not send as many people to lunch at once. Lets say I'm scheduled to eat at 1pm and I'm with a customer, they then send another rep to eat. Meanwhile I finish with my customer and now I can eat, managers say, oh wait untill so and so gets back for their lunch. Then I take the next customer and then so and so comes off their lunch, guess what, they send another rep and then I have to wait longer, this pattern can go on for hrs!! This is not just me myself and I Complaing, I'm voice for many many employees... Bottom line. If u want a job that gives you little to no life than choose AT&T wireless.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

CEECEE85 in Hollywood, Florida

16 months ago

y8x in Alabama said: To touch on the managing tactics, i do agree that it's a problem. You have to understand that they also have jobs and thats to do exactly that. They need to have observations done and make sure people are following their steps or else they get written up. A lot has changed and quotas have become pretty crazy with all the things that require you to sell, but as long as you are doing what they say and make sure you hit the goals to avoid getting written up but the automatic goals system then you should be okay. Don't fall into the trap of setting high goals for yourself and then not being able to hit it. They will try and get a number from you, and then hold you accountable for it. As long as you never give them a solid number and just keep saying you will do the most you can then you will be fine. They can't force you to over achieve, but they can hold you accountable for not hitting the company goal.

How long have you been working for at&t do you set your own goal or the manager give you goals? what does your goals look like how many new lines how many upgrades, uverse, digital life do you have to sell per month. thanks for your time

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

StygianHaven in Marietta, Georgia

16 months ago

I hear what you're saying, and am currently only in my 3rd day of training so I'm a bit deflated to hear this. What you say maybe true 100 percent but I tell you what, at least you are compensated with a living wage. The last 2 retailers I worked at heaped on similar stress with pay and benefits that were laughable. One routinely wrote staff up for ONE minute tardy's and if you accrued 4 in a 13 week period than good bye to you! I saw MANY fall victim to that silly rule. I'll take my chances with the added pressure of sales and high quotas if it means being able to provide for my daughter a bit better. Believe me, you don't want to be on that other side of the employment spectrum. No income really puts things into perspective. If this sales game is too much I'll figure something else out. Definitely going to do my best to not have to deal with some of the experiences you have if I can help it. Hope your situation becomes better in the near future whether with the company or not with the company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

16 months ago

AT&T also has a point system. If you miss 4 days in a 6 month period, your gone. So if your daughter gets sick and you have to take her to the doctor on a day you work, you get a point. If someone passes away other than your mom or dad, you need to take off, you get a point. You also get points for tardiness. Oh and since the last time I posted on here, AT&T changed the commission structure, which they do quite often. So yes, I am now working for peanuts and missing all my sons football games. Just another thing you may like to know. AT&T makes the schedule 1 month in advance and they change it many times during that month. They have up to 48 hours in advance to change the schedule on you. So make sure you always check your time the night before so you don't get a point for tardiness. Do me a favor, count everyone in your training class and tell me how many are still with the company in 6 months? You will be surprised!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

16 months ago

CEECEE85 in Hollywood, Florida said: How long have you been working for at&t do you set your own goal or the manager give you goals? what does your goals look like how many new lines how many upgrades, uverse, digital life do you have to sell per month. thanks for your time

I can answer these for you...

Corporate sets the goals. You are required to sell 105 opps, 47 new lines, 11 wired, 9 tablets, 2 digital life, $70 in apo and 90% in wtr. And now if any customer comes in and wants to lower their plan and you happen to be the lucky one to help them, then they take pay away from your commission. No joke! Also, if a customer likes you but hates AT&T and actually says that on the survey, you will loose pay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

16 months ago

One more thing I would like to add....I had planned a Disney vacation with my family for this coming October, air line tickets, hotel, park passes all purchased. Mind you, this was planned before June and I put my vacation request in right away. I just found out today that they denied it because the new iphone will be launching sometime in October and no one is allowed any vacation time in October. This is what I mean when I say AT&T sucks the life right out of you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

AT&T RSC in Issaquah, Washington

16 months ago

Katie D in New Lenox, Illinois said: I have been in retail sales over 12 years and AT&T is by far the worst company to work for.. so until u work for AT&T, u have no idea what's its like. Thanks for the reply though.

Katie, I definitely agree with you in terms of not being able to have a personal life. It has weighed on me a lot the last few months. I compared wages to what I've made before, what other people make, and what I make now; and though the money is great, sometimes money isn't worth the sacrifice. With that said, I typically dont make comments, but I just felt compelled to add my 2 cents.

I do agree with you that there are an abundance of goals that seem to be added every couple months, that feel impossible to hit, but according to a comment you made about, "Who has an extra 1000 to drop..." you're breaking a cardinal rule about sales in general. You never sell out of your own pocket. NEVER. You're assuming they don't have money, if that was the case, then you might as well not offer anyone, anything. Thats the whole point of being in sales. Of course, you want to create a great customer experience, but you can do both simultaneously. I'm not trying to coach you on your job, just giving insight to what has helped me get past the hiccups. You just have to learn to effectively position everything without feeling like you're throwing EVERYTHING at them. I know this is possible because I'm currently doing it. Its repetitive, but what job isn't?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

AT&T RSC in Issaquah, Washington

16 months ago

Katie D in New Lenox, Illinois said: AT&T also has a point system. If you miss 4 days in a 6 month period, your gone. So if your daughter gets sick and you have to take her to the doctor on a day you work, you get a point. If someone passes away other than your mom or dad, you need to take off, you get a point. You also get points for tardiness. Oh and since the last time I posted on here, AT&T changed the commission structure, which they do quite often. So yes, I am now working for peanuts and missing all my sons football games. Just another thing you may like to know. AT&T makes the schedule 1 month in advance and they change it many times during that month. They have up to 48 hours in advance to change the schedule on you. So make sure you always check your time the night before so you don't get a point for tardiness. Do me a favor, count everyone in your training class and tell me how many are still with the company in 6 months? You will be surprised!

I have gotten 6 points in 6 months before and I was only written up, and then the points fell off. I understand your fair warning to those with families, but I think you're trying too hard to scare them away. I agree with you 100% that its very hard to raise kids, and be with them while working retail for AT&T. Simple and plain, but out of everyone in my training class, only 2 out of the 18 have quit, and 9 have moved up in positions. The only question I would ask for potential employees is "How hungry are you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

16 months ago

Lol.. This Is definitely an AT&T corp geek talking trying to turn every true negative Into a positive. Yes, u can truly get 6 points and still keep your job depending on your manager, better hope they like u if u get 6 points, cause if not, ur gone! but usually anyone that I know that has had 6 points has been a butt kisser.. Never less ....
And about assuming no one has extra money to buy something is a cardinal sin, is somewhat true. Thats if you work on an all commission based job. I'm talking about the home security system that AT&T sells, have u seen it? It's garbage and not every home can get it. Therefore, why would anyone waste time selling it if 99.9% of the time u won't sell it. When u have a million other things people want to buy that they actually came in for and u won't hurt your wtr by trying to up sell them . If u fish for a living and want to eat that night wouldn't u fish where the fishing is good?? Your gonna go for the sure meal, right?? Not wasting your time trying for the big fish, you'd target the easier fish. It's funny but a shark in the ocean won't target a whale but creeps up on the little seals. Why? Cause they work smarter not harder.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

16 months ago

My point being, I work in a store where if u think I have a sour attitude about AT&T then u should hear the feedback from these other reps. and yes... I'm currently looking for another job after 3 yrs because of how it gets worse and worse every day. Don't get me wrong, my co workers are awesome and even get along very well with my managers, but AT&T in general wants robots, not humans. But if u need a job untill u find a real job then defiantly work here. But, I wouldn't make a career out of it. Cause in my market at least, the job is a revolving door. People come and go left and right here. I'm the only rep left from my training and that was a year after I started. And I have been asked to go into management a lot, but I always turn it down. Because I'd rather have a higher paycheck than power. I'm very liked at my job and love dealing with people. I just can't stand having some corp goof making all these changes benefiting them and hurting us! It's wrong! And unethical.
But, like I said before, don't say I didn't warn you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Professorjordan

13 months ago

Professorjordan
0 minutes ago
I want to work for AT&T so bad as a sales agent or retail sales consultant, I've applied 6 times but ever time, I get not considering you at this time, there our more qualified people. Which I don't understand I know I'm very qualified, I use to work for a private Att store as a private indpent contractor, I have over 10 years customers service experience and money handling, and am great with computers. Can someone please tell me what else I need. My dream job is to work for AT&T. Plus I know that I can do a lot better job then some of the agents at stores I applied at. Please Help

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

13 months ago

Professorjordan said: Professorjordan
0 minutes ago
I want to work for AT&T so bad as a sales agent or retail sales consultant, I've applied 6 times but ever time, I get not considering you at this time, there our more qualified people. Which I don't understand I know I'm very qualified, I use to work for a private Att store as a private indpent contractor, I have over 10 years customers service experience and money handling, and am great with computers. Can someone please tell me what else I need. My dream job is to work for AT&T. Plus I know that I can do a lot better job then some of the agents at stores I applied at. Please Help

Seriously, have you read all my previous comments? AT&T should not be anyone's dream job....especially a retail sales consultant. Stay away from AT&T....Worse company to work for!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Curious in Irving, Texas

13 months ago

Katie D in New Lenox, Illinois said: My point being, I work in a store where if u think I have a sour attitude about AT&T then u should hear the feedback from these other reps. and yes... I'm currently looking for another job after 3 yrs because of how it gets worse and worse every day. Don't get me wrong, my co workers are awesome and even get along very well with my managers, but AT&T in general wants robots, not humans. But if u need a job untill u find a real job then defiantly work here. But, I wouldn't make a career out of it. Cause in my market at least, the job is a revolving door. People come and go left and right here. I'm the only rep left from my training and that was a year after I started. And I have been asked to go into management a lot, but I always turn it down. Because I'd rather have a higher paycheck than power. I'm very liked at my job and love dealing with people. I just can't stand having some corp goof making all these changes benefiting them and hurting us! It's wrong! And unethical.
But, like I said before, don't say I didn't warn you.

Sounds like you are in the minority. AT&T is excellent to work for. They do not want robots, they want people that interact and you can tell by the extensive training and all the resources they give you to succeed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Yankees42 in Wyoming, Michigan

13 months ago

Katie D in New Lenox, Illinois said: Seriously, have you read all my previous comments? AT&T should not be anyone's dream job....especially a retail sales consultant. Stay away from AT&T....Worse company to work for!!!

Some of us are excited about coming in to a environment and company like AT&T. I've been on the other side and have worked for our other competitors and this is a move that I embrace in my career. I'm sorry your experience hasn't been the best, but how about let others enjoy the fact that they will be on the cutting edge of wireless technology and working for a company with deep roots like AT&T? From everyone I've talked to on the field, you are the minority.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

13 months ago

Yankees42 in Wyoming, Michigan said: Some of us are excited about coming in to a environment and company like AT&T. I've been on the other side and have worked for our other competitors and this is a move that I embrace in my career. I'm sorry your experience hasn't been the best, but how about let others enjoy the fact that they will be on the cutting edge of wireless technology and working for a company with deep roots like AT&T? From everyone I've talked to on the field, you are the minority.

Have your 5 mins of excitement. Get back to me in a month or two... I would like to know how you feel then. Do you have a family? Mortgage?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Katie D in Illinois

13 months ago

Curious in Irving, Texas said: Sounds like you are in the minority. AT&T is excellent to work for. They do not want robots, they want people that interact and you can tell by the extensive training and all the resources they give you to succeed.

Very high unrealistic goals with very low commission. Not being appreciated for your hard work... It's not a excellent place to work for. This must be corp talking...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Katie D in Illinois

13 months ago

Currently looking... along with the other 20 Sales Reps in my store. Trust me, I'm not the only one. A few weeks ago, the sales reps to a local store all teamed up and decided not to show up....it goes to show, I am not the only one feeling this way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Sonya23405 in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

13 months ago

I wonder if it is just your market that is feeling so frustrated. I really haven't seen too much negative things on these forums.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Katie D in Illinois

13 months ago

Sonya23405 in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma said: I wonder if it is just your market that is feeling so frustrated. I really haven't seen too much negative things on these forums.

Yeah, It could be. Maybe the people higher up then Sales Reps and Sales Managers are treated better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tyler Guest in Brewton, Alabama

13 months ago

I've been an RSC for over 3 months now and have loved every minute of it. Everyone in my store loves their job as well, and we all have families. We all make good money too. The Gulf States is the best area to work in. I've never worked more than 40 hours a week and my store is closed on Sundays. We also close at 6 every night. The hours aren't bad at all in my opinion. 4 of the 7 reps in my store have been here for over 2 years, so that should give you an indication of how good the work environment is because most stores have high turnover. One of our reps has been an RSC for 8 years and she won't move in to management because she is making so much money. And as far as the stress is involved, I was in the Army so to me this is the most laid back job ever. Your management can have a big impact on the stress level. Love my job though, and the benefits are good.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Katie D in Illinois

13 months ago

Tyler Guest in Brewton, Alabama said: I've been an RSC for over 3 months now and have loved every minute of it. Everyone in my store loves their job as well, and we all have families. We all make good money too. The Gulf States is the best area to work in. I've never worked more than 40 hours a week and my store is closed on Sundays. We also close at 6 every night. The hours aren't bad at all in my opinion. 4 of the 7 reps in my store have been here for over 2 years, so that should give you an indication of how good the work environment is because most stores have high turnover. One of our reps has been an RSC for 8 years and she won't move in to management because she is making so much money. And as far as the stress is involved, I was in the Army so to me this is the most laid back job ever. Your management can have a big impact on the stress level. Love my job though, and the benefits are good.

Wow! Now that's how it should be! Closed on Sundays and close at 6pm every day!! I agree, management does have a big impact!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

QualityLife in Norwalk, Connecticut

13 months ago

Katie D in New Lenox, Illinois said: First off, this position is not for anyone that has a family or by any means a LIFE!!! The hours they schedule for you give you no morning and no evening . It's not an 8-5 position, where you would at least have an evening off to be with family or friends. The hours are more like 9:30am - 8:30pm. And don't expect to be out on time. When would you see your kids with hours like that? Unless your high on the seniority level, you will be working every Saturday and Sunday, open to close. With meetings before work on Saturdays. I cannot stress enough how if you have a family...you will never see them. You will never see your kids play sports. AT&T sucks the life out of you.
Second, if you need a day off...say you need Aug 31st off, They need to know that by July 3rd or you will not be granted that day off. And you would not even know if you have that day off until Aug 1st. How are you suppose to make vacation plans? Once again, AT&T sucks the life out of you.
Third, expect to be followed around by managers every time your with a customer to make sure your saying and showing them the things they want you to sell. Don't forget to shake their hand when they are leaving (even if they are sick) and walk them to the door or you will be written up.
Fourth, trying to take a lunch is like pulling teeth. You could be walking out the door for lunch and a customer walks in and they ask you to take care of them before you leave. Well, that customer could take up an 1 1/2 hrs of your time.
Fifth, They are always raising your quota so you don't make any money. I could go on and on but I think this pretty much sums it up.

ATT&T is horrible for customers too. I don't know how that company has lasted this long.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

moejoe in Atlanta, Georgia

12 months ago

Katie D in New Lenox, Illinois said: First off, this position is not for anyone that has a family or by any means a LIFE!!! The hours they schedule for you give you no morning and no evening . It's not an 8-5 position, where you would at least have an evening off to be with family or friends. The hours are more like 9:30am - 8:30pm. And don't expect to be out on time. When would you see your kids with hours like that? Unless your high on the seniority level, you will be working every Saturday and Sunday, open to close. With meetings before work on Saturdays. I cannot stress enough how if you have a family...you will never see them. You will never see your kids play sports. AT&T sucks the life out of you.
Second, if you need a day off...say you need Aug 31st off, They need to know that by July 3rd or you will not be granted that day off. And you would not even know if you have that day off until Aug 1st. How are you suppose to make vacation plans? Once again, AT&T sucks the life out of you.
Third, expect to be followed around by managers every time your with a customer to make sure your saying and showing them the things they want you to sell. Don't forget to shake their hand when they are leaving (even if they are sick) and walk them to the door or you will be written up.
Fourth, trying to take a lunch is like pulling teeth. You could be walking out the door for lunch and a customer walks in and they ask you to take care of them before you leave. Well, that customer could take up an 1 1/2 hrs of your time.
Fifth, They are always raising your quota so you don't make any money. I could go on and on but I think this pretty much sums it up.

Is there a pass or fail test

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

moejoe in Atlanta, Georgia

12 months ago

Is there a test to pass before you complete the training

William K in Madison, Alabama

12 months ago

Katie - I take it you haven't worked too many different jobs in your life because these issues you're complaining about are present everywhere. I've worked retail with the 3 other wireless retailers (I'm starting AT&T January 3rd) as well as being a department manager with Target, I've worked as an insurance agent with AAA and Allstate, and I've been a Mortgage Loan Originator. I'm returning to retail because I'll be going back to school and I'm working part-time. I agree with some of the others saying you're clearly exaggerating because you're angry with AT&T (namely saying you work 9:30-830 frequently), but with most of your issues it sounds like you got stuck with a poor store manager, and the other issues will exist no matter where you go. You know how a company makes money? Selling, so your quotas will of course be high. Try working in insurance where your entire business comes from cold-calling, none of that luxurious walk-in stuff where people are trying to give you money. You have a choice you can make at work: Hate it and be miserable, suck it up and make it work while trying to enjoy it, or go work somewhere else. The last 2 are options that will make a difference, but complaining about your job or being like one of those customers you've undoubtedly had that just want you tell everyone how bad you, or AT&T are, is not effective at all. I'm 100% sure AT&T has flaws, every job does. I work at T-Mobile right now and they pay peanuts basically, but their expectations are low. Sprint, same thing, low pay and low expectations. AT&T and VZW are high pay and high expectations.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Katie D in Illinois

12 months ago

moejoe in Atlanta, Georgia said: Is there a test to pass before you complete the training

There is an assessment test you take online when filling out the application.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Katie D in Illinois

12 months ago

William K in Madison, Alabama said:

Actually, I have worked at a few other companies, I worked for tmobile, Verizon and us cellular over the past 15 years. I also managed a few of them. Your right, high quotas do make the company money. But, to have high quotas on things that don't pay you does not make sense. Like Wtr( surveys from customers that u can't control) my personal surveys are at 100% But, if ATT scores are at 70% then they can write u up. Even though customers love u, but don't love ATT as much. Then u feel the pinch. You'll see after a few months of being there. They will have you in the office more than on the sales floor trying to show U how to sell. My managers are awesome!! But they do go have to go by the ATT rule book. Even they say it's ridiculous. Also, they change the commission structure every other month. Having to sell more but make less. But, you'll just have to see for yourself. I'm not just sitting at ATT crying about it, my point is to warn people thinking about getting a job here. It's a perfect job for people going through school and that don't have kids and don't want a social life. But, if u want to make money and have a social life/family time and watch your kids grow up then stay far far away from ATT retail. If u like working Xmas Eve, New Year's Eve, New Year's Day the 4th of July etc and have to request a day off 60 days in advance, then have fun at ATT. I wish u the best!! But.. Att is way in the rear view mirror.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

William K in Birmingham, Alabama

12 months ago

Katie D in Illinois said:

That's my point though Katie, if you're in retail, there's a very good chance you're going to be working those holidays, regardless of where you're at. I've worked at call centers before as well and we even had to work Christmas and Thanksgiving in addition to those days. Being in retail for any period of time makes you realize that. You're absolutely right that retail overall isn't ideal for people with families, but that's not exclusive to AT&T (which is why I'm returning to school). I'm not familiar with too many 8-5 M-F retail positions, and I doubt many people expect that when going into that field. Good luck in your future endeavors though!

Spanish Johnny in Los Angeles, California

11 months ago

It's the same at every store. It's more of a commitment than a job. Expect to do an insane amount of overtime and expect to be humiliated by your store manager and ASM in front of your co-workers. Management will also find creative ways to punish you for not meeting sales quotas. For example, they'll only allow you to take a 30 minute lunch instead of an hour lunch.

Scheduling is based on seniority so new and recent hires will end up with closing shifts which are more like mid shifts. e.g. 12:30-CL which could be as early as 9:30pm to as late as 12:00am

To sum it up, SCREW AT&T! I'm in the processes of finding another job because I work to live and I demand respect; however, management at AT&T can't even spell respect so that will be the day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Katie D in Illinois

11 months ago

Spanish Johnny in Los Angeles, California said: It's the same at every store. It's more of a commitment than a job. Expect to do an insane amount of overtime and expect to be humiliated by your store manager and ASM in front of your co-workers. Management will also find creative ways to punish you for not meeting sales quotas. For example, they'll only allow you to take a 30 minute lunch instead of an hour lunch.

Scheduling is based on seniority so new and recent hires will end up with closing shifts which are more like mid shifts. e.g. 12:30-CL which could be as early as 9:30pm to as late as 12:00am

To sum it up, SCREW AT&T! I'm in the processes of finding another job because I work to live and I demand respect; however, management at AT&T can't even spell respect so that will be the day.

Your right!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jonathan S in Weirton, West Virginia

11 months ago

My comment could go on forever here and I usually don't post but I am going to put my 2 sense in on this. I do not work for ATT Mobility. As a matter of fact, I am currently unemployed for having an attitude like yours. First time I have been unemployed since I was 16 years old and I am now 33. Its not worth it and I wouldn't burn any bridges. From my understanding ATT pays a good hourly rate plus commission's. You are paid for what you put into this place. Everyone complains about higher quotas and less commission but you STILL getting commission plus a good hourly rate. Higher quotas should motivate you to do better and the better you do and the harder you work, the more you make. How in gods name can you complain about that?? What if you worked for a company that paid 0 commission and you sold sell phones (walmart for example) and they started working you more hours. Would you up and quite? Its a tough world out there right now and I guess what I am saying is don't burn your bridges. Don't screw up something good to go work at Mcdonalds for minimum wage.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jonathan S in Weirton, West Virginia

11 months ago

cell phones...not sell phones....ha

ATTOkie in Edmond, Oklahoma

11 months ago

Jonathan S in Weirton, West Virginia said: My comment could go on forever here and I usually don't post but I am going to put my 2 sense in on this. I do not work for ATT Mobility. As a matter of fact, I am currently unemployed for having an attitude like yours. First time I have been unemployed since I was 16 years old and I am now 33. Its not worth it and I wouldn't burn any bridges. From my understanding ATT pays a good hourly rate plus commission's. You are paid for what you put into this place. Everyone complains about higher quotas and less commission but you STILL getting commission plus a good hourly rate. Higher quotas should motivate you to do better and the better you do and the harder you work, the more you make. How in gods name can you complain about that?? What if you worked for a company that paid 0 commission and you sold sell phones (walmart for example) and they started working you more hours. Would you up and quite? Its a tough world out there right now and I guess what I am saying is don't burn your bridges. Don't screw up something good to go work at Mcdonalds for minimum wage.

And the nail has been hit on the head. Although, you probably just wasted your time trying to tell the original poster anything of value. They are dead set on complaining and nothing will satisfy them. I work for AT&T and I don't agree with crap they want from me BUT I still show up, keep my mouth shut and get paid. Like you said, there aren't an abundance of jobs out there that pay decent and AT&T pays GREAT. Work hard, get paid big. No work = Crap Pay. Make it what you will basically...but no other company offers what they do unless it's Oil & Gas.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

11 months ago

Jonathan S in Weirton, West Virginia said: Higher quotas should motivate you to do better and the better you do and the harder you work, the more you make. How in gods name can you complain about that?? What if you worked for a company that paid 0 commission and you sold sell phones (walmart for example) and they started working you more hours.

You do not currently work for AT&T nor have you ever, so why are you even in this conversation?

Yes, AT&T pay's a decent wage, but it comes at a high human cost. Your store manager and ASM will breathe down your neck every time you're with a customer. You better be sure that customer walks out of there with at least a tablet or mi fi and digital life or u-verse, NEXT, or you will be coached for not "planting seeds in the customer's head" or "demoing". Your store manager will embarrass you at meetings by asking you questions that your either not prepared to answer or about your subpar performance . They'll interrogate you like crazy before you can get a phone out for the customer to be sure that you did indeed talk about tablets, mifi, whp, u-verse, digital life, premium audio, and they'll go as far as look at the cameras or talk to your customer.
Old lady walks in wanting a basic go phone? Nope. Gotta her a smartphone and iPad mini with a 8gb mobile share value plan with mobile protection for each device, roadside assistance, and WHP though she qualifies for a lifeline and senior rate plan.
They'll harass you nonstop and break you down in the name of bringing out the best in you. Only those who have no self-respect or large families to support will stay. If you like ripping people off and lying to them about how you're saving them money with your "complete solution" and AT&T NEXT, then by all means sign up!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

11 months ago

ATTOkie in Edmond, Oklahoma said: And the nail has been hit on the head. Although, you probably just wasted your time trying to tell the original poster anything of value. They are dead set on complaining and nothing will satisfy them. I work for AT&T and I don't agree with crap they want from me BUT I still show up, keep my mouth shut and get paid. Like you said, there aren't an abundance of jobs out there that pay decent and AT&T pays GREAT. Work hard, get paid big. No work = Crap Pay. Make it what you will basically...but no other company offers what they do unless it's Oil & Gas.

You've obviously never been denied a lunch or bathroom break or forced to lie to your customers and sweet-talk them into signing up for services and products they don't want or need or can't afford. For the love of god, we were told at a meeting that customers who are on welfare and government assistance can afford to pay for hair, cable, and toys for their kids so why not have them welfare moms spend that money on us !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

11 months ago

Spanish Johnny in Los Angeles, California said: You've obviously never been denied a lunch or bathroom break or forced to lie to your customers and sweet-talk them into signing up for services and products they don't want or need or can't afford. For the love of god, we were told at a meeting that customers who are on welfare and government assistance can afford to pay for hair, cable, and toys for their kids so why not have them welfare moms spend that money on us !

Well this should be fun. Okay, FIRST, don't assume that I've been denied a bathroom or lunch break. Secondly, I know for a FACT you are not forced to do ANYTHING. You are a human being with free-will and a BRAIN. As for comment about welfare people, well if the people can pay for cable, cigarettes, soda and probably a fairly nice vehicle they should be able to pay for service. You took a SALES job and that's what you're supposed to do, SELL.

Now before you go trying to make assumptions about me and where I stand. I find it ridiculous that a person who works inside a retail store complains about their job and can make anywhere near what I make. I put my life in danger in extremely hazardous weather to actually maintain and create the ability for you to have a job! That's right, I work up on a pole for hours on end. I put myself underneath the roads in a manhole where snakes and hazardous gases like to loiter. I'm the guy who has to knock on people's doors and go in their yards when they can't stand AT&T, so they let their pitbull out after me. I am the one who has to deal with upset customers because someone like you actually didn't explain things to them like a real salesman should. So, keep complaining about high quotas, high pressure, long hours and I will personally just keep laughing at you when you do get fired or quit. If you can't handle being pressured to sell things, you would NEVER last in a job where you had DEADLINES.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

11 months ago

Spanish Johnny in Los Angeles, California said: It's the same at every store. It's more of a commitment than a job. Expect to do an insane amount of overtime and expect to be humiliated by your store manager and ASM in front of your co-workers. Management will also find creative ways to punish you for not meeting sales quotas. For example, they'll only allow you to take a 30 minute lunch instead of an hour lunch.

Oh, and you have no idea what real work or overtime is. I've been on service emergency enough that would cover 10 years of work for you. We work 7 days a week at least 15 hour days when that happens and we don't complain, we suck it up and work. And boohoo about a 30 minute lunch, that's what most people get daily at other jobs. If you wanted 9-5 with an hour, you should be the teller that cashes my checks and gives my daughter a lollipop. Let me put things into perspective for you. I have a college education, have started and sold my own company (made a killing by selling), retired at 26 and then it hit me. I just don't like sitting around. So I went back to work at AT&T in Construction & Engineering as a technician. I have more pressure, rules, regulations and safety concerns each day before I get to work than you do in a month of working at a retail store. So great, do us all a favor, quit and be the cliche' kid that can't handle being forced to actually work to gain respect and privileges.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Katie D in Illinois

11 months ago

I don't think we are in your words.. Complaining. It's more like giving others a heads up. Warning them, if you have a family and you want work/life balance, AT&T is not the place for them. The job is easy, my 9 year old could do it. But like you stated... It's just a retail store. So why the ridiculous quotas? Why when there are 20 other sales reps in my store, would I not be able to have a life/work balance? Why did they lower the commission? December 2012 I made over $3,000 in just commission. December 2013 my commission is only $800... When I worked harder and sold more!! Why do the sales reps suffer.. So the corp geeks can get their bonus? The job is becoming more of a customer service position where you are explaining products, fixing the items they bought from online or taking bill payments. I don't make commission off that! That's not a sales rep job.

William K in Huntsville, Alabama

11 months ago

Incorrect Katie, that is absolutely a sales rep job. What? You think your job is to just sell to the people who come in specifically to buy something? That would be a customer service rep. I bet you're one of those people that looks at the top rep in your store and you just can't figure out how he does it. We have those in our store too (just as every sales job I've ever had). Perhaps you're not cut out for sales, that's what it seems more like to me. If you think it's not your job to convert service transactions into sales then sales is certainly not for you, regardless of how long you've been doing it. Coworkers always ask me how I'm able to sell at the top every month and it's because I do what the company expects. AT&T is not the only company making these requests you're complaining about. There are plenty of minimum wage jobs that don't require any dedication to go further or willingness to do more than the bare minimum. If you want an easy job, you get paid easy job salaries, that's why they're minimum wage. AT&T pays more because they expect more. During my time with them so far, none of my store peers have complained about these things, but they do wish they were able to sell more (naturally, these are the same ones doing things their way, wondering why trying the same things over and over again aren't achieving different results). Your complaint is with sales, not AT&T. Again, sales is not selling to people who already wanted to buy, a computer could do that (hence the internet), you're expected to be a salesperson. Just watch Glengarry Glenross and you'll see exactly what real sales is all about.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Katie D in Illinois

11 months ago

Wrong! I am the top sales rep in my store and have been for the 3 years I have been there. The other sales reps come to me for advice. They come to me with questions instead of the managers. I have been in this business for over 15 years.

Mr Phonxay Champasouk

11 months ago

hello everyone. I would like to say I'm a 20 year old college kid and I recently put in my application for Att let's say 2 weeks ago. I was just going to wait and see if someone was going to call back but after the second week I got tired and decided to call up the store which I applied at to let them know how I'm interested in the position and told them I was going to come by and drop off a resume in a dew
days which I did. I figured like Verizon they would shoot me down and tell me that to wait for hr to call
but before the manager could speak I told him how interested I was for the job and also firmly stated that I will make them money and shook his hand than left the store. Low and behold the very next day I get a personal call from a gm at another location telling me that the gm at the store I applied loved my resume and told the gm at the other store who needed someone to hire me. So the gm of the store who called me told me to reapply at his store and use him as a referral and he would email corporate to pull my app. All of this happened from dripping off my resume to getting a call from the gm happened within 24 hours. Honestly I don't understand why someone can't get a job with ATT if they don't put true effort in. Also I laugh at you people for complaining so much about Att. They are I think the top fortune 6 company they musr doing something right..right? And for all you peoplethat cancan't seem to make quotas you need to get this through your head..GRIND TIME IS ALL THE TIME. The only time to reflect is when you hit budget for the day. So stick it to yourself for wasting ATT's time complaining through out your day when you could be working as a team to help evolve fun ways to pitch sales and how you would use the products if you had them. I know all of you are calling me crazy for not even being hired yet but hell I can guarantee you I will get hired and I will make more than your average rep. Wish me luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

George in Tujunga, California

11 months ago

William K in Huntsville, Alabama said: Incorrect Katie, that is absolutely a sales rep job. What? You think your job is to just sell to the people who come in specifically to buy something? That would be a customer service rep . I bet you're one of those people that looks at the top rep in your store and you just can't figure out how he does it. We have those in our store too (just as every sales job I've ever had). Perhaps you're not cut out for sales, that's what it seems more like to me. If you think it's not your job to convert service transactions into sales then sales is certainly not for you, regardless of how long you've been doing it. Coworkers always ask me how I'm able to sell at the top every month and it's because I do what the company expects. AT&T is not the only company making these requests you're complaining about. There are plenty of minimum wage jobs that don't require any dedication to go further or willingness to do more than the bare minimum. If you want an easy job, you get paid easy job salaries, that's why they're minimum wage. AT&T pays more because they expect more. During my time with them so far, none of my store peers have complained about these things, but they do wish they were able to sell more (naturally, these are the same ones doing things their way, wondering why trying the same things over and over again aren't achieving different results). Your complaint is with sales, not AT&T. Again, sales is not selling to people who already wanted to buy, a computer could do that (hence the internet), you're expected to be a salesperson. Just watch Glengarry Glenross and you'll see exactly what real sales is all about.

Everyone knows it's a sales job. That's a given. Nobody's complaining about the quotas. Our grievance is with the way AT&T treats it's employees. Zero respect for senior or new, top or mediocre reps. You can be the dlife king at my store and still be called in for coachings and harassment.

George in Tujunga, California

11 months ago

Mr phonx and other wannabe RSCs and new hires,

Just wait until you get that store manager who wants to make a name for himself. Meeting your quota won't be enough. You also have to meet the store's quota and your sm will have you do things that you won't be proud of to close that u verse tv or digital life. I've had senior citizen customers come into my store in tears because they can't afford to pay their whp+Uverse bill on their fixed income.

My store manager won't even let me take out a basic phone for our customers who want the senior plans.

Oh and don't forget about chargebacks and your commission structure is constantly changing, not to your benefit.

Yeah, AT&T pays a competitive hourly wage. You'll make enough to be considered middle class but is it worh the verbal and psychological abuse? Do you like being treated like a child, harassed, threatened, and micromanaged? It's a job for people who have no other career aspirations, so manangement feels that they can test us however we want.

I have a college degree and am in the process of gaining teaching credentials. Enjoy being a snake sales rep for AT&T . :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

AT&TRSC in Oxford, Mississippi

11 months ago

Mr Phonxay Champasouk said: hell I can guarantee you I will get hired and I will make more than your average rep. Wish me luck

Lol. I have seen people like you come into our store and talk to our manager. He pawns em off on other people too. Too aggressive. And I guarantee, IF you get hired, you will be here three months. You are too hungry and the other RSC's in your store will get rid of you. I have seen it. And continue to see it. Enjoy it. It won't last long!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.