How I got hired and a few questions about training

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

CC in Ocala, Florida

26 months ago

To give you a summary. I graduated from HS in June of this year and I'd been filling out applications upon the hundreds. I didn't have any prior work experience but I had A LOT of volunteer hours (over 2000) and numerous awards.

I filled out the application for a customer service rep for AT&T at the local call center as soon as I saw it posted. This is a job chance you shouldn't put off or wait on. The benefits are amazing. I filled out my application with 100% honesty. I didn't try and over exaggerate my abilities or make myself seem better than I was. The HR department in Cali (I live in FL) reviewed it rather quickly and got back to me the same night and scheduled me for a teleconference a few days later.

The teleconference is an absolute must and you really learn a lot about the position you're applying for and the company from it. It also helps a lot if you can stay tuned with the online portion of it as well but it's not mandatory. About 20 people were a part of mine and I didn't say anything special or try to make conversation with the host. The host is there to teach you not to answer personal questions. Towards the end of the conference I was asked (amongst others) to choose a time for scheduled testing at the local call center.

I chose to take mine 3 days after the conference at 1 in the afternoon.
We were a group of about 16 and only 5 were dressed to the standards of business casual and 2 of us (one older gentleman and I) were dressed business formal. The others were wearing a T-shirt,jeans and either sandals or sneakers (one was wearing an oversized T-shirt with holes and plaid shorts) To me first impressions are everything and even if it's just testing you should dress to impress. I also think it's a big plus to show up early like I did to make sure you get a seat and don't wind up standing awkwardly against the wall which is a given that you were late or not early enough.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

CC in Ocala, Florida

26 months ago

We were taken into a room by two test proctors about 20 minutes after the scheduled time.
It was the typical computer lab but it was very nice as well. It seated two people to a desk with two computers and rows all the way to the back. I made my first screw up when I mistyped the password and asked the kind lady next to me if she remembered what it was (as it was rather long). The proctor overheard me and repeated it and I thought for sure that it would be counted against me as not listening (though I was). The test took me an hour and 40 minutes though I'm a very quick typist. It was composed of 4 parts,a basic personality survey,a literacy test, a math test and a call center 3D environment exam.

If you're not very fluent in English than you probably won't pass the literacy test. I was an honors student, so the advanced vocabulary with lots of 7 syllable word comprehension questions wasn't hard for me but I can understand that it might be for others. The math was mostly basic word problems but they threw in a few toughies that required long division skills.

The call center portion of the exam got to be a little much but very doable. Sometimes I had a hard time understanding exactly what the customers wanted and chose the wrong option either because I thought I could sell them something pricier or because I chose an incorrect verbal response. I know for a fact that I missed two during this part.

When I finished (which was second in the group) I was asked for my name and walked out by one of the proctors. You can leave from there as they will not tell you if you passed that day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

CC in Ocala, Florida

26 months ago

If you get an email you did not pass and you must wait a year to try again. I got a call two days later on a Friday and missed it. The problem is if you miss the call you can't call them back as the number they use is a general AT&T number that will put you through to any call center rep employed with AT&T. Be on the look out for an 800 number. Do not ignore it because it looks like a sales call. I had to wait until the following Monday for them to call me again. When they did I was told I passed the exam and an interview was set up for me for three days later also at 1 in the afternoon.

At this point you'll get an email with tips for the interview. All you really need to study up on is behavioral interview questions but don't memorize them as I was asked a completely different set.

You get a tour of the place before the interview with one other job candidate and then you part ways as you're interviewed by different people.

The interview itself was somewhat tedious and unlike any other I'd done. I very much enjoyed the personality of my interviewer but the questions did become personal and I felt a little uncomfortable at times when asked things about my parents or why I hadn't chosen a particular college major. I did get nervous but I'm only 18 so interviews are still a little new to me. I talked a little fast as well and had to repeat a couple answers so the woman interviewing me could write them down. In all I noticed she took about 5 pages of notes.

She was a very nice lady but I couldn't read her other than the occasional laughing or smiles I got from her. I try to smile a lot during my interviews and because I'm very petite,young and pretty (so I've been told) I tend to unknowingly charm people. She did throw me off guard a few times and I had to stop myself from pulling on the sides of my sleeves out of nervousness.
At the end of the interview I was asked to sell her a pen.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

CC in Ocala, Florida

26 months ago

I did the best I could as I was at the point a little frazzled but I was also sick during the interview. I had a 100 degree fever but I pulled through and I don't think she even noticed.
I highlighted it's best aspects and tried to come up with reasons on why it was better than any other cheap .50 bic pen you can get from Office Depot.

You also have to explain what the job requires and what you'd be doing. If you don't know I'm assuming your interviewer will tell you but I was asked to explain it first and when I missed something she would let me know with an "annnddd?" so don't forget to read up on it.

I did notice (and my interviewer brought it up too) that my interview went on 30 minutes longer than the other job candidates did as I saw him walk by the window as he left. In total it lasted about an hour but was very thorough and deep. I dressed in a black pantsuit with black short heels, light jewelry and makeup with my hair down.

When it was over we both made a jumble for the door knob before I backed away and let her open it for me which was definitely awkward and even more so when I started walking the wrong way out but she stopped me and walked with me to the front door and shook my hand twice before I left.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

CC in Ocala, Florida

26 months ago

I wasn't sure if I'd gotten the job as like I said I made a few rookie mistakes and at one point she'd asked me if I was nervous but before I could answer she told me I didn't act nervous though I think she was trying to comfort me a little as I caught myself at times talking very quickly or repeating myself.

I got a little down when I didn't get a call the following day and assumed that I'd get an email the following morning telling me I wasn't "the right match" but I was pleasantly surprised with a phone call at around 10am congratulating me instead.

You have to submit to a background check within 24 hours and drug testing within 2 business days.

Tomorrow I go for drug testing (urine sample) and I'm supposed to start two weeks from now on the 15th. My hours look to be 10am-7pm.

I wasn't told much about training though I think I heard from someone that it lasts 7 weeks.
I'd like to know what it consists of and I'm kind of hoping the first day will be in a classroom so I can get used to the people.

Anyways if anybody has any questions feel free to ask me.

I'm sorry about the occasional typos or grammar mistakes. It's 1am in the morning here and I'm still a little sick. :)

Ddaragjati in Orlando, Florida

18 months ago

CC in Ocala, Florida said: I wasn't sure if I'd gotten the job as like I said I made a few rookie mistakes and at one point she'd asked me if I was nervous but before I could answer she told me I didn't act nervous though I think she was trying to comfort me a little as I caught myself at times talking very quickly or repeating myself.

I got a little down when I didn't get a call the following day and assumed that I'd get an email the following morning telling me I wasn't "the right match" but I was pleasantly surprised with a phone call at around 10am congratulating me instead.

You have to submit to a background check within 24 hours and drug testing within 2 business days.

Tomorrow I go for drug testing (urine sample) and I'm supposed to start two weeks from now on the 15th. My hours look to be 10am-7pm.

I wasn't told much about training though I think I heard from someone that it lasts 7 weeks.
I'd like to know what it consists of and I'm kind of hoping the first day will be in a classroom so I can get used to the people.

Anyways if anybody has any questions feel free to ask me.

I'm sorry about the occasional typos or grammar mistakes. It's 1am in the morning here and I'm still a little sick. :)

Please explain the testing part a little more in depth?

brandiemarks@gmail in Memphis, Tennessee

1 month ago

Hey how are you? I just have a quick question what kind of behaviorhal were you asked?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

sasha fierce in Memphis, Tennessee

13 days ago

brandiemarks@gmail in Memphis, Tennessee said: Hey how are you? I just have a quick question what kind of behaviorhal were you asked?

The interview questions are often situational..... tell me about a time you had to blah blah blah? Questions like that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.