I have a Felony DUI from nearly 3 years ago how will this affect my seek for employment?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Russell in Redlands, California

24 months ago

Just today i received a call from the senior staffing manager asking me questions about the Felony that was on my background report. I disclosed this information on ALL my applications and I spoke about it with all the people that came into contact with including the area hiring manager. The lady who called me today said that she would call me back by the end of the day with an answer yes or no but i never received a call. my worries are that i may not receive the job right at the very end of this process because of this felony. does anyone have a story where they know a person who has a felony on their record and still hired?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

rackham12 in Central, Mississippi

24 months ago

No. AT&T does not hire any candidate with a felony. Very few companies do. What did you apply for?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Justin JP

24 months ago

Russell in Redlands, California said: Just today i received a call from the senior staffing manager asking me questions about the Felony that was on my background report. I disclosed this information on ALL my applications and I spoke about it with all the people that came into contact with including the area hiring manager. The lady who called me today said that she would call me back by the end of the day with an answer yes or no but i never received a call. my worries are that i may not receive the job right at the very end of this process because of this felony. does anyone have a story where they know a person who has a felony on their record and still hired?

Russell,

I believe ardently in prayer. I believe that those who pray to God and God hears those prayers, those prayers will be answered. I had 3 DUS charges for failure to pay traffic tickets within the last three years. I passed the background check. But I do not have a "criminal record". Unfortunately, with my experience in management and having applied and had my background checked through HireRight twice I can tell you that a felony is a very bright flashing red flag. The hiring manager's boss will have the descretion on whether to hire you or not. So at this point you must be proactive.

If the felony isn't a violent offense or one for which you did significant jail time (to include DUI or theft) you should go through with the process. On the background check section ensure you include the felony on the report. They may or may not rescind the offer at that point. Before you submit the report send the HR manager a detailed letter explaining the circumstances surrounding your charge. If he or she does not rescind the offer then they will wait for adjudication within AT&T. There are some charges that simply are non-starters (immeditate rescinding) which include violent offenses, theft, DUI, ect.

I would just explain the charge and see where it goes from there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Joe in San Jose, California

24 months ago

Try applying at an authorized dealer (indirect,3rd party) AT&T will pass on you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Justin JP

24 months ago

Joe in San Jose, California said: Try applying at an authorized dealer (indirect,3rd party) AT&T will pass on you.

I would also agree with this as well. I stand by my comments above to give it a shot, but it is a shot in the dark. Very few companies will hire anyone with a felony especially given it's within the window from which they pull your records.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Justin JP

24 months ago

guest in Oakland, California said: A California Felony DUI is likely to get you rejected from almost all employers. It might be possible to get the criminal record "dismissed" which will make it easier to get a job.

Actually,

If it shows up on your criminal report even if it were dismissed, AT&T would still be inclined to not give the position to someone in a position to have been charged with DUI in the first place. Just throws up a red flag.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Justin JP

24 months ago

Well,

I'm glad I was right!!! LoL!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Alena in Fresno, California

23 months ago

Hi Russel,
I don't know if you will get on this I wanted to ask you a personal question.It's regaring the DUI Felony. I have been charged of a DUI felony recently and I've been totally stressin' on it. If you have the time please email me at alenayurtayev@gmail.com that would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.