What a mess! Forced to re-start training.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (20)

bdubs

8 months ago

ok AT&T is definitely f***ing with me. I just got done with the whole training course and on the very last day of it, after sending everybody to lunch, my instructor comes and tells me that I am dismissed from the training course and I need to drive back to my store and meet with my manager. this is the most bizarre thing ever. I met with my boss and she said that I have to re enroll in the course and that I have to go home and I will get a call and she doesn't know when but they will re enroll me in training again. So until then, I am not working.

the instructor has been passive aggressive and bullying to me the whole time making it a very negative and tense and uncomfortable learning experience. I had lots of anxiety about it but ended up telling myself to stay positive because training would soon be over and I would be able to work at the store with my manager who I get along with very well. but the truth is although my store manager wants to pretend like she doesn't know exactly what's going on, they have been talking via email back and forth the whole time. they won't even give me a reason as to why I have to enroll again and they will not give me the phone number to HR. Does anybody have the phone number to HR? I was late to class 3 times. The policy says that if you are 5 minutes late 3 times, you will be dismissed from the course. I was not 5 minutes late 3 times. The first time, I was one minute late. Then a second time, I was one minute late but the computer, again, would not let me log in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

bdubs

8 months ago

Because this company has technical difficulties everyday And the instructor had the nerve to act like it was my fault that day. I was only a minute late but it took me a couple minutes to try and log in multiple times to find out that it just didn't work. My instructor said if I had showed up early then this wouldn't be a problem. Again, abusive. she just gave me the phone number for tech support. So I got on the phone with them in the hallway and it took 15 minutes. I literally did nothing to make this happen. I showed up and it would not let me log in. I went back in the classroom and after doing nothing, it suddenly work and let me login. by this time, it was 30 minutes after class had started. I told my instructor it was working and she didn't seem to care. I told her that I could not clock in because of that and she said my boss would fix it. Well it turns out, my boss just didn't clock me in at all. so then she went back to fix it and put in that I was 10 minutes late. Which is not true. I pulled up the history on my phone that shows I called tech support at 10:34. which means I called them after a couple minutes messing with it, which means I was only 2 minutes late. on the second to last day, I was actually 6 minutes late. Which yes it sucks. I drove from 30 minutes away and I'm not usually a morning person so it takes some getting used to for the timing. And the traffic.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

bdubs

8 months ago

anyway, she came in on the very last day of training and told me I was dismissed and would have to restart the whole training. I looked back and my time clock says that I was 10 minutes late that day when I wasn't. we went over this in training, this is against the law. the instructor cannot have me not get paid for the time I was working on their technical issues for their company. She was obviously being abusive. my classmates even told me it seems like she is singling me out. I was late by one minute those two times, and she took me out in the hall that day after I was already having a bad day after the technical issues and she was being passive aggressive and badgering me about being late one minute. it was very uncomfortable. In class, my classmates will agree, I have very good input and feedback. Everyday, the instructor is getting me praise and telling me I have very good questions and very good answers. I went to school for marketing, I know a lot of this stuff. I am sharp and I will be very good at this job and I know she knows it. This is just flat out unacceptable. And I can't seem to get any HR contact. These people will smile at your face but stab you in the back. Even when youre brand new. its pretty twisted.

bdubs

8 months ago

they refused to give me a straight answer as to why I will have to retake the course. It doesn't make sense. I made a hundred percent on all of my assessments. I have never been 5 minutes late to my store. I have not missed any class. On those days I was late, she had not even started yet. I will benefit nothing from taking a class again. It is just using up the company resources. But that's a hit they're willing to take if they can abuse me to try and somehow get back at me for not being afraid of them. my teacher had asked me inappropriate questions, such as, what neighborhood do I live in? Where do my parents live? She asked me what town I live in a couple times. very inappropriate stuff and it makes me uncomfortable.

.I was told by someone that when I retake the class, I will probably not have this same instructor. That's good. Plus it will be a lot easier because I know all of the stuff and I still have the files I could just re upload the work. But still it's rather humiliating to be working somewhere where people are smiling at your face while they're f***ing you. .so far out of to a bad start. I texted my instructor letting her know this was inappropriate and against the law and that I was contacting HR. I still have not been able to get an HR number. Can anyone help? I called her boss and he said there's not much she can do and he even said that my call to tech support that day would be documented and HR could look into it. But apparently after they look into everything, they decided I would need to re enroll in the class. Which makes no sense. this is the most bizarre thing ever. My other job, heard about this and they are offering me the same pay as an assistant at their store. But I would rather sell phones so I'm not doing that just yet. But the treatment I am getting between the two companies is just so drastically different. Be prepared. They will be condescending and treat you like a child. They will be abusive and expect you to take it and be

bdubs

8 months ago

positive. They will tell you to lie to customers and call their DSL u verse and don't tell customers it's not actually uverse fiber optic. they will lie to customers and tell them they are the only company that allows you to talk and surf at the same time, even though almost every other carrier lets you do that in this day in age. If you ask questions, they will be passive aggressive and try to put you down. I was belittled over and over. When I am an honest and hard working person. Everybody in my class loved me. I'm a people person. I will be successful at this job. As long as the company is not shady. And then they will go over there ethics policy about how they believe in honesty and integrity. I'm telling you right now its twisted stuff. Is every big company going to be this way? Am I screwed? Or are there better companies I should start looking at? This is ridiculous. I deserve to be treated with respect.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

rackham12 in Central, Minnesota

8 months ago

Almost 100% positive once you retake that class it will be the same instructor AND they will dismiss you from the company. I been around the block to know the story with "Re-takes".

I do apologize but it would not be too late to ask your friend that originally referred you for the position about another position at another location possibly; that is if you still want to give it another shot with a more positive and humble attitude.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

bdubs

8 months ago

Regardless whether or not you like what I have to say or if you think I'm good for this company or not, what they are doing is against the law. And I'm calling HR as soon as I can get the number. this is not right. And it's definitely not right for you to try and rub it in my face. But that's the internet for you. like always, being as thorough as I can to inform the masses of my experience. if they can't handle a person who is real and asks questions and follows the ethics policy and code of Business Conduct, they can go ahead and fire me. I will gladly take the unemployment check. but I hope they use their company resources more wisely than that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

bdubs

8 months ago

if there's more to this story, they won't let me know what it is. I have asked them why I've been dismissed and they refused to answer me. they all know I am ready to start the job. Or else they simply would have told me what I need to work on. I complete all of my work and I memorize steps that I don't even need to memorize and I participate fully in class and always have good answers and I make a hundred percent on all of my assessments. the instructor just flat-out doesn't like me and is doing this to be abusive. if there was an actual reason for me to retake the course or if I was going to benefit from it, logically they would have explained that to me. they still haven't even compensated me for my driving or mailed me my shirt! Jank.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Pam Ann in Atlanta, Georgia

8 months ago

I am preparing to enter a training program that emphasizes, among other things, punctuality. Historically, this industry also dismisses people for being late for class more than twice. This is governed by a federal agency that requires employees to have x-number of hours of training, and not a minute less. I may not like it, but knowing what their rules are, I will be leaving in plenty of time to get there early - not on time...EARLY!

I know that you said a couple of times that what they are doing is against the law, but upon what do you base this statement? I am guessing that you have not been in the work force for very many years, or you would have already figured out that employers can do just about anything that they want to do, whether it seems fair or not.

My last point is that AT&T has a horrible reputation as a customer service oriented company, and it you really have a lot of integrity, you won't want to work for them anyway. I'd seek out another job. Best of luck to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

bdubs

8 months ago

Got the info about training! I start in 2 days and it's a different instructor! great! this should be easy since I've already done all of it and I still have all the files on my username. Ready to get lots of job shadowing in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

raa3929

8 months ago

Hopefully it goes well for you this time. Im in my training and its going easy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

bdubs

5 months ago

training was a lot better the second time around. The instructor was great and very helpful. No bullying or passive aggressive behavior. Much better experience, although I'm learning that the miscommunication and run around is company wide. still completely ridiculous I had to do the training again, but I got paid for it so whatever. I have been on the sales floor for a month and I'm talking to my boss about getting me on a track to becoming assistant by this time next year. The CEO went to the same college as me, and started as a technician at the bottom of the chain. He climbed his way up, and so can I. Maybe then, I can start working on all these issues. Until then, competition is going to keep creeping up on this company and forcing them to improve.

5 months ago

Randall Stephenson did not start as a technician he held many leadership positions at SBC Telecommunications since the 80s. What are your numbers looking like?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

5 months ago

I guess you are from Oklahoma since that is where Randall attended.

bdubs

5 months ago

Pam Ann in Atlanta, Georgia said:
I know that you said a couple of times that what they are doing is against the law , but upon what do you base this statement? I am guessing that you have not been in the work force for very many years, or you would have already figured out that employers can do just about anything that they want to do, whether it seems fair or not anyway.

That statement was based on the law, and the companys own policy haha and trainings they had us do. I can tell you were just trying to stir up crap, but employers cannot do just about anything they want to. that really couldn't be farther from the truth, which is why the company has so many strict rules and policies in place. And I expect them to abide by them. We are protected by state and federal law and a union. And everybody has a boss. If you want to live your life with that line of thinking, go ahead. I won't!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

bdubs

5 months ago

rackham12 in Central, Minnesota said: Randall Stephenson did not start as a technician he held many leadership positions at SBC Telecommunications since the 80s. What are your numbers looking like?

I'm not sure how you can be certain of that, but if you're right and my instructor was wrong, it still doesn't make much difference to me. We went to the same school, and he definitely worked his way up from somewhere, and that's motivation enough for me to keep moving. My goal right now is to become a director of sales, which is just 3 steps up after ASM, or director of sales, making $100k+ in those positions. I'll take it from there. When I joined the company, I spoke to a rep about how strange it was that the Next program charged you basically twice for your phone by still charging you subsidized rate and didn't give you a discount for being off contract and he acted like I was insane. One month later, the company introduced discounts for off contract. Two weeks ago, I mentioned to a rep that the company is going to have to offer $25 off instead in the near future to make the Next program work and remain competetive in the market and move away from subsidies. On Sunday, they did just that. It's my big-picture mindset that's going to get me places.

rackham12 in Central, Minnesota said: I guess you are from Oklahoma since that is where Randall attended.

Is that a guess or deductive reasoning?

5 months ago

Randall went to U of O

5 months ago

You never answered my question what number are you on Dashboard

ATTApplicant in Lafayette, Louisiana

5 months ago

bdubs said: I'm not sure how you can be certain of that, but if you're right and my instructor was wrong, it still doesn't make much difference to me. We went to the same school, and he definitely worked his way up from somewhere, and that's motivation enough for me to keep moving. My goal right now is to become a director of sales, which is just 3 steps up after ASM, or director of sales, making $100k+ in those positions. I'll take it from there. When I joined the company, I spoke to a rep about how strange it was that the Next program charged you basically twice for your phone by still charging you subsidized rate and didn't give you a discount for being off contract and he acted like I was insane. One month later, the company introduced discounts for off contract. Two weeks ago, I mentioned to a rep that the company is going to have to offer $25 off instead in the near future to make the Next program work and remain competetive in the market and move away from subsidies. On Sunday, they did just that. It's my big-picture mindset that's going to get me places.

Is that a guess or deductive reasoning?

Not to be rude, but that was common knowledge. You visit any tech website and every other comment will say the same things you did. Not impressive. Knowing more than the customer isn't what makes someone qualified for a director of sales position, knowing how much the customer doesn't know and profiting on it does. I know Rackham's "Super employee" spill can be annoying, but he has good intentions. This is his way of giving back, and I can respect that even if I can't agree with it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Retired Michael in Dallas, Texas

3 months ago

This bdubs needs his own comedy show. I haven't laughed this hard in a long time.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.