What's the company culture at Aaa Screening - Lees Summit, Mo?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Host

Every business has its own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Aaa Screening - Lees Summit, Mo?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Aaa Screening - Lees Summit, Mo?

Reply - Report abuse

RUNFORYOURLIFE in Lees Summit, Missouri

19 months ago

Let Me Tell You What You Can Do With Your Sad Pandas

AAA Screening is a locally owned business that offers background and credit checks, pre-employment screening, collections, credit reports, and tenant screening. AAA was established in 1997 by a woman named Jennifer Meents. The original location for the company started in Blue Springs, MO, but the company grew to have more employees and the building was not large enough to facilitate everyone. They moved to a larger location in Lee's Summit, MO, which is where the company resides now. AAA is made up of approximately 15 employees, give or take a few. AAA is in the established stage of their life cycle of the business. When AAA moved from Blue Springs, MO to Lee's Summit, MO this was part of the growth stage because they were having to expand. They are not in any further stages of the life cycle, and may not ever be, due to lack of education and knowledge from the owner and management.
The book mentions that in order to have an effective organization there are three levels that must be in place from the managerial responsibility. Managers are responsible for maintaining effectiveness with the individual employees, employees as a group, and the company as a whole. From the book and my real life experiences, I feel the definition of organizational effectiveness is how effective the organization is at achieving and obtaining its sought after goals and to actually produce those goals. I feel that at AAA they are effective in the aspect of being able to get an ending product for their customers. However, how they achieve this end product is very unprofessional, and if it continues, I do not see a bright future, if any future at all for AAA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

19 months ago

The company measures effectiveness by which employee can provide the quickest results for their clients. The employees that can multitask to the point that even though their heads might explode, it’s okay, just as long as in the process of exploding, they can still answer the phones too. The standard that is preached at AAA is unreasonable and completely unobtainable. Considering that when I first started employment with AAA during my initial orientation, I was told that they were editing the mission, vision, and values sheet, and that once it was finished I would need to sign it stating I understand and had read it. Within the 6 months that I was employed there I never once saw their mission, vision, and values page because it had never gotten finished. It is obvious there is a problem if a company doesn't care when hiring new employees, if they share their same visions and values, or that they even know what they are, this is a huge red flag. Since employees are unaware of what exactly AAA's mission, vision, and values are, I would say that unreachable expectations which they expect from their employees is more than likely reflected in their organization.
If a company has unreasonable and unobtainable goals for their employees, the turnover rate is going to be out the roof. From one employee that has been with the company a few months more than I had, I was told that from February through August of 2013, they had already hired and fired over 40 employees. If this isn't a big enough sign for management that what they are doing isn't working, it is no wonder that things aren't working for them. The strengths of this approach are none at all. The list of weaknesses that this creates for the company are endless. By creating unreasonable and unobtainable goals for employees, makes the motivation level plummet in a downward slope. Motivation for employees in a work place can make or break the company.

19 months ago

Motivation in my opinion is the driving force of an organization, because behind that motivation are the motivated employees. Employees that are motivated at work, excel on the job. When you have employees that excel on the job, the outcomes are positive and the skies are the limit for the company.
Another red flag I noticed while working there was the fact that they have more managers than actual employees there. I am not talking about people that act as if they are managers, I mean actual managers. I have never witnessed an organization that had so many managers, which had no need for all of them. The fact was that in this situation the owner felt that she owed her veteran employees something, and instead of giving them raises she just gave them unnecessary titles to make them feel important, when really it was just that, a title. Having too many managers creates lots of problems, especially for employees. During an average work day, I would have one manager tell me to do something one way, and I would start doing it their way. Next thing you know, another manager would send me an email telling me that I was doing it wrong, when actually it was another manager that had told me to do it a certain way to begin with.
The communication that is practiced at AAA is email and Skype. If you need help with anything you must Skype a manager. You cannot simply go to them for guidance, even though they may only be five feet away, you must Skype first. You must not forget the chain of command either, and which manager does what jobs, if you forget you might get a sad panda. What is a sad panda you say? Sad pandas are managements way of telling you did something wrong, without writing you up. It isn't management actually telling you, it’s on a piece of paper that is placed on your desk with a picture of a panda making a sad face. If this doesn't make employees feel like they are five years old and in kindergarten, then I don't know what does.

19 months ago

I feel that instead of printing out ridiculous sad pandas, why can't they just talk to you in person and discuss with you what seems to be the issue? Lack of communication will ultimately be AAA biggest downfall. Email and Skype are not always effective forms of communication, and all communication shouldn't be based off of these forms. What happened to good old fashioned communication with our mouths? To talk during work is completely out of the question and unheard of, if someone talks during work they will indeed get a sad panda. Not to mention, the threats that people receive constantly warning us about possibly getting sad pandas are endless. Last time I checked, I'm 26 and I didn't realize I was working in a daycare.
The only kind of communication that I ever received was negative. I never once was told anything that was positive about my on the job progress. I know for a fact by how fast I was learning the processes, and how many few errors I was having, that I was a good employee. However, over time of constantly only hearing bad things, even I stopped being positive, and started thinking I was a lousy employee. When a company is demotivating towards their employees, this lowers morale and the effectiveness of each employee. There was never a day that I ever felt motivated working there because the communication was not there. It got so bad that I would dread going into work every day, I hated being there.

19 months ago

Leadership is something that is hard to define at AAA, because it is so difficult to clarify who really is the boss. Not only are there too many managers, but every manager chooses to do things in their own desired way. For an organization to thrive and flourish it must possess a great leader or leaders. Leadership to me is having someone to look up to and strive to become. There is not one manager at AAA that I would want to strive to become, because none of them know what being a leader means. In order to lead you must have passion for people, and genuinely want to see your people succeed. If your employees succeed, then you as a leader, succeed. By demonstrating leadership as a manager you must be available to your employees, and when they come to you don't seem put off by them. As a manger you are the decision maker and the person who gives direction. Without proper forms of leadership the paths of communication get crossed and then everything appears distorted for all parties.
Recommendations for AAA would be to get rid of majority of the managers. There is no need to have more managers than there are actual employees. Take the day and night managers and call them team leads, giving them the title of manager is unnecessary. Have the lady that is only a manager because she has been there the longest, just strictly for customer relations. If she could focus more on getting more customers and less on other meaningless stuff, there would be way less layoffs of other employees. Next completely eliminate the so called human resources lady, she is the reason I am going to school. There are so many people that feel they are a good fit for HR, when in all actuality they are the worst fit for the job. My idea of HR is to be there for the employees, be there for the company, and have passion for what you do. The HR person at AAA fits none of these areas mentioned.

19 months ago

It would have been better to hire a student like me who is actually studying to become HR, than someone who knows absolutely nothing about HR and has no experience. Another area that is crucial is to stop using email and Skype as the only means of communication. Body language and hearing someone speak gets all messages across a lot clearer, and leaves little to no room for errors. Over all, if the owner actually cared more about her employees instead of just money forming in her pockets, the business would operate more smoothly.
AAA is an effective business because there is a strong need for a company like this in the area. They could be successful if they become open and willing to change. People at AAA are very sensitive and not adaptable to change, therefore I do not feel the future for this company is bright. There are many things that would need to change about this company for it to move on to the next life cycle. Also, compassion is the most important thing for a business. If you have a business solely just to make money, your company will not last. If you have compassion for what you are selling and for your company, your business will naturally thrive. As an owner if your people can feel your passion for the company, they too will feel it and project it outwardly. Lastly, don't measure success on your turn over, measure it on your amount of turn around.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.