What's the company culture at Aaron's Sales & Lease?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (21)

Host

Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Aaron's Sales & Lease?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Aaron's Sales & Lease?

Reply - Report abuse

Former Aaron's employee. in Abington, Pennsylvania

89 months ago

Well in the Philadelphia market it is ruff honestly dangerous. You show up to work and start making collection calls, about 150 of them or more to collect payments. Then you go out in the field by your self driving the Aaron's trunk to collect payments or merchandise on delinquent accounts. People will ignore you when you knock on their doors, and if they open the door they will say their broke and pay when they pay then slam the door in your face. You will stay in the field until as late as 9pm by yourself doing collections. If you return to the store wth no payments or merchandise your boss will say your a horrible employee and say your job is on the line because your not producing results. Your job is threatened on a daily basis. When offered a job with Aaron's they will say you will make $100,000 as a General Manager. The truth is that the GM's only make about $50,000 if their lucky. Bonuses and commission will be promised but the goals are so high in the stars don't expect to make anything but base salary. When you complain they say your not a team player, and they also compare you to stores 1000 miles away saying they did it why can't you do the same. I would only work for Aarons in FL or TX any over state forget about it, you will only run your self into the ground, get assaulted on the road collecting payments, or get fired for not hitting unrealistic goals.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

kapusta in Tampa, Florida

58 months ago

Aaron's in Tampa, Florida (33601) is hiring a Customer Service Representative in its Plan to Expand.
But the listing says that there is "major emphasis on in-store sales, telephone sales, direct marketing, new customer growth and renewal payment processing".
Is this actually a Sales job?

Does anyone work at Aaron's in the Tampa area?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Scott bertus in Metairie, Louisiana

57 months ago

Let me say this if you are thinking of working for this company do not! Run and run fast! I worked for this company for two days and could not take any more! The manager was so incompetent that it made me sick. They will work you like a slave and give you low pay!

The hours stink as does the work they said I would get a promotion which was a lie! It took three weeks to get my first check! Just save yourself and do not work or do business with this company!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Sales Manager in Princeton, West Virginia

43 months ago

My store has been open for 16 months. We hit 1000 customers at the 1 yr mark, which is basically unheard of. We are a team of very dedicated employees. My CSRs make as much as most GM's in other stores. We have never not hit our bonuses and now the commission has been doubled. Aaron's has been very good to me and I have been very good to them. My store is a franchise and our owner is opening new stores left and right. I love my job, though the hrs are a little much, but the big picture looks nice and makes it well worth it. There is so much room to grow in this company, franchise or corporate. My advise is to get involved and get excited. The earning potential is unlimited if you work hard for it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Sales Manager in Princeton, West Virginia

43 months ago

And the dress is Khakis and Aaron's polos. My team absolutely meets for drinks and dinner! We are like family! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

aaron's employee for 2 1/2 years

42 months ago

Scott bertus in Metairie, Louisiana said: Let me say this if you are thinking of working for this company do not! Run and run fast! I worked for this company for two days and could not take any more! The manager was so incompetent that it made me sick. They will work you like a slave and give you low pay!

The hours stink as does the work they said I would get a promotion which was a lie! It took three weeks to get my first check! Just save yourself and do not work or do business with this company!!!

2 days?! How are you so confident in only working 2 days that a promotion was a lie? You can't judge a company by only working for them 2 days. I mean, it's a retail business...either you're cut out for it or you're not. Evidentally you're not!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

aaron's employee for 2 1/2 years

42 months ago

Sales Manager in Princeton, West Virginia said: My store has been open for 16 months. We hit 1000 customers at the 1 yr mark, which is basically unheard of. We are a team of very dedicated employees. My CSRs make as much as most GM's in other stores. We have never not hit our bonuses and now the commission has been doubled. Aaron's has been very good to me and I have been very good to them. My store is a franchise and our owner is opening new stores left and right. I love my job, though the hrs are a little much, but the big picture looks nice and makes it well worth it. There is so much room to grow in this company, franchise or corporate. My advise is to get involved and get excited. The earning potential is unlimited if you work hard for it!

WOOOHOOOO!!! Way to go Princeton!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jason96r in Bellevue, Ohio

31 months ago

Where I live most make $9/hr and manager trainees make $10/hr.

Every 6 months you can get .25 cents or more raise. Pay isn't great but where I live jobs are hard to find and plenty pay more but Aarons offers more vacation and better insurance than most in the area. They also give a week of vacation after 6 months and 2 weeks after a year.

I am a PT or product technician. I wouldn't do this job if you have a choice. They will work you death to hurry and do delivers so they you can stay out til 9pm trying to collect money. I work an average of 50 hrs a week and with commission the CSR still makes more than I do and she works 40 hrs.

Another good is I had surgery and if the Dr. clears me this time I will have been off 11 weeks and I haven't been fired yet. Most all jobs in my area would have fired me by now, well not fired but let me go because illegal to fire me.

I'm coming back to work but not for long. The CSR and myself are in a relationship now and they are trying to push her out primarily because they think I will stay at that job forever and there is a very high turnover rate for my position. They think it's easier to get a CSR to stay at the company rather than a PT, which is very true. My store/region wont let people in the same store date. I'm leaving because she has better hours and makes more than I do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

AaronsLuckyDogCares in Atlanta, Georgia

31 months ago

jason96r in Bellevue, Ohio said: Where I live most make $9/hr and manager trainees make $10/hr.

Every 6 months you can get .25 cents or more raise. Pay isn't great but where I live jobs are hard to find and plenty pay more but Aarons offers more vacation and better insurance than most in the area. They also give a week of vacation after 6 months and 2 weeks after a year.

I am a PT or product technician. I wouldn't do this job if you have a choice. They will work you death to hurry and do delivers so they you can stay out til 9pm trying to collect money. I work an average of 50 hrs a week and with commission the CSR still makes more than I do and she works 40 hrs.

Another good is I had surgery and if the Dr. clears me this time I will have been off 11 weeks and I haven't been fired yet. Most all jobs in my area would have fired me by now, well not fired but let me go because illegal to fire me.

I'm coming back to work but not for long. The CSR and myself are in a relationship now and they are trying to push her out primarily because they think I will stay at that job forever and there is a very high turnover rate for my position. They think it's easier to get a CSR to stay at the company rather than a PT, which is very true. My store/region wont let people in the same store date. I'm leaving because she has better hours and makes more than I do.

Jason96r: I am sorry to hear you have concerns with your pay and I am sorry you feel this way towards Aaron's. Please email me at Response@aarons.com for further assistance. Thanks - Jessica

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

scott in Metairie, Louisiana

29 months ago

aaron's employee for 2 1/2 years said: 2 days?! How are you so confident in only working 2 days that a promotion was a lie? You can't judge a company by only working for them 2 days. I mean, it's a retail business...either you're cut out for it or you're not. Evidentally you're not!

its very simple... first impressions are everything. in the interview they said one thing and then when I went to work for the company it was a totally different from the interview. The manager was not at all qualified for the Job i know this because I have been in management for over 20 years. The store was a mess and the people worlking there were not at worried about the manager or what she said... no team work ...co workers take the online test for each other ...when I did leave they took not once but three times to fill out paper work because the manager was not able to get it right....

so in my first statement when you ask how am I so confident this is how ...this company is not much different than a pawnshop at least there you know you are going to get it before you go it in.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

SScott in Atlanta, Georgia

29 months ago

Scott,

Thank you for you comments. I would like to open the door for a conversation with you. You may reach me at the Division Office for the Mississippi Valley Division. If for some reason I am unavailable, leave me a message and I will return your call.

Regards,
Sandy Scott
Associate Resources Rep./MVO

29 months ago

@sandy what is a contact number for you

sscott512@aol.com in Atlanta, Georgia

29 months ago

scott in Metairie, Louisiana said: @sandy what is a contact number for you

Scott,

Indeed (this website) does not allow us to post phone numbers. The best that I can offer at this point is to go through directy assistance and contact the Slidell Divisional Office. I do apologize for this, but I tried to post the number and the site will not allow me.

29 months ago

@sandy you can email me nyour info @ yutsukai@gmail.com

Janet in Mustang, Oklahoma

18 months ago

To the person who only lasted two days at the store, it sounded like the manager needed some help. And had you dug in and started cleaning and helping out, you just might have been a regional manager by now!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

gladtobegone in New Albany, Mississippi

17 months ago

Let me say I was with Aaron's for over a year. My sales manager was incompetent and therefore our store NEVER grew. A little over 20 customers in the entire year she was there. I went from CSR to CAM in the year I was there. I only received sales commission once. She was late 4 of her 5 days on schedule. The pay for her was around $1.00 higher than mine, even with my promotions. When I brought this to the attention of the RM, he informed me that he "starts all his CAMs at $9.00 a hour." Now, I knew this to be a lie because there were 2 CAMs before me making 11-12 dollars an hour. If you all are familiar with Aaron's, then you are aware that as CAM I was second up to run the store when the GM was out. They put all this extra work and all these extra hours on me, but you pay an incompetent sales manager more than me? How and in what world is that ok? I didn't want your crummy 25 cents. Not when you gave HER the same 25 cents.....20 something new customers in a year?? And before you post a comment, yes, my numbers were good. On top of everything else, when I took the CAM position I was told by the same RM that he couldn't change my pay in the middle of a cycle but he would make it right when raise time came around. Thanks for the quarter but you can keep it. I was a great worker and I wanted a career with Aaron's but trust me, at least in this region, its not worth it. I dedicated my days and nights only to be lied to. Many days, my GM was out and because the SM was so incompetent & she couldn't be left in charge of the store, I couldn't leave a take my breaks and lunches. This is clearly a problem with Aaron's everywhere because we had to have a meeting on clocking out each day for a lunch break. I clocked out and still had to be there to answer question and answer the phone phones and take payments. The sales manager is still employed there. I couldn't take it anymore. The home office should really consider a meeting with the RMs on respecting the "lower employees".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

la rosa mas bella in Spring Hill, Florida

15 months ago

This company is a joke. They terminated me over something I "said" to my manager and coworker. I quoted said bc it was completely made up. It was all unsubstantiated... and I worked my ass off for them 58 hrs while trying to relocate. 56 hrs the next week with a FEVER bc the GM was on vacation and I was needed. The sales manager hates his job. Complains endlessly over having to do inventory. He usually asks someone else to do it for him. He wants to be the accts manager so bad he will stab anyone in the back. He made inappropriate comments about my rearend and I walked in on him going through my personal pictures on my cell phone!!! The GM started dating his CSR moved in with her and then transferred her out of his store to continue the inappropriate relationship. Someone turned him into HR. He assumed it was me bc he cornered me over it and I'm assuming this is why they worked together to get me out... I gave them the best I could and this is how I'm repayed. They don't care about you as a person. No one asked me about what was said or not said. They simply took their word and took action. I suggest you find a company who actually cares about their employees! Larosamasbella84@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Andrew in Salisbury, Maryland

15 months ago

You will work a lot of hours but Aaron's recognizes performance. It's one of the few companies that promotes from within. I made store manager in two years(really it was one year as I spent the other year in Afghanistan for the military). Do a job search for store management and higher you won't come up with much. Demanding? Yes I work a minimum of 50 hours a week. Stressful? Incredibly it's basically a department store minus all the employees to run it. You have a delivery aspect, accounts team, sales team, and service aspect to handle as well. You have two managers as opposed to a manager of each area. There are a lot of variables to make the job easier/more difficult. My store is rare in the fact that it covers about 200 sq miles. Which makes it difficult to reach every non-renewed customer and deliveries have to go off without an issue or everything gets bogged down. Stores in cities have a more difficult customer base and lots of stairs to deal with during deliveries. Aaron's in general is a good place to set your roots if you are looking for a career. As far as enjoying your job? Just like everywhere else, your management and your work ethic will dictate a lot of that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Aryanna Schivanowicksky in Nowhere, Missouri

13 months ago

I had very high expectations only to be let down. The biggest issue is that 95% of the GM's that they hire in, are either 1) Lazy and put their entire job on your shoulders while expecting you to respect Aaron's "culture" or "Pathway". The people telling you this don't follow it when the rest of the store is trying to follow guidelines. 2) The GM's also don't give a crap about anyone other than hiring in other employees to shroud them in smoke so they look good and can blame others for their shortcomings. 3) They hire incompetent and egotistical GM's. How can corporate expect you to get your job done when your boss won't work, solve problems, or lacks intelligence and turns it around on their team as if the Gm's subordinates are stupid. Upper management won't ever keep and eye on how effective the GM is managing the store. Instead it's the subordinates that can't do their job and they get threatened to get fired. I feel if the ship is sinking shouldn't the captain be held accountable. Instead the GM's worry too much about stroking the ego's of upper management and playing "office politics" then doing their job and actually TRAINING PEOPLE!!!!!! This company has a HUGE turn over rate and if you want to move up, well be prepared to swallow your price or work yourself to death. Then they might consider promoting you. On a side note most of the GMs, even with the fact that 99% of their subordinates are more intelligent than you, will talk to you like your stupid.

Irishx in Meridian, Mississippi

12 months ago

I'm pretty amazed by some of the comments here. The first year as GM of an Aaron's store I made $80, that was a $50k base plus bonuses. Yes, Aarons is tough, it's not for everyone obviously, a great deal is expected from you as the GM, but it is well-worth it. The corporate bureaucracy is cumbersome, some guidelines make no sense whatsoever when it comes to actually doing business, but if you can get past that, follow the Pathway Manual and work with your Regional Manager then you will find a road to success and satisfaction.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.