ACT 1 News and Happenings.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (22)

Host

What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

How does ACT 1 stack up against the competition?

Reply - Report abuse

kib in Los Angeles, California

88 months ago

I had terrific success with Act 1. I was treated well and with respect and integrety. I registered with the Bakersfield Ca. Branch after seeing an ad posted on Monster. I filled out an on line application, went in for a scheduled interview, and 3 days later I interviewed with a local oil company. I was hired the next day. I think they blow the other agencies out of the water!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Kelly in Raleigh, North Carolina

88 months ago

I did not have the same experience. They were nice, but I wish they had an actual job they were thinking of me for instead of just getting me in to take the tests and add to their list of candidates. I'm out of a job right now and I don't need to waste my time on bogus interviewing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Tami in Peachtree City, Georgia

88 months ago

So far I have not been impressed with ACT 1. I sent my resume and cover letter to them for a position and the reply was this and only this and it looked like this :)

word document only

How extremely unprofessional. I went back and checked the application submission form I used and nowhere on there did it indicate to only use Word (which isn't an issue), however, their reply from their Atlanta office was really pathetic. Don't they make money on their applicants? Well, they won't be making any money on me. I refuse to deal with such an unprofessional firm.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

B. G in Berkley, Michigan

87 months ago

I have found Act-1 to be very pathetic as well. I have been with them for YEARS and have yet to work with them yet, and what's more the office closed up in my city and they didn't even tell us they were closing. I live in Detroit and the economy in really in the toilet here anyways, but they could've at least told us they were closing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

B. G in Berkley, Michigan

87 months ago

B. G in Berkley, Michigan said: I have found Act-1 to be very pathetic as well. I have been with them for YEARS and have yet to work with them, and what's more the office closed up in my city and they didn't even tell us they were closing. I live in Detroit and the economy is really in the toilet here anyways, but they could've at least told us they were closing.

had to correct that. i need to put on my contacts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Sherry in Berthoud, Colorado

87 months ago

The people in Act 1 treat me nicely when I go into the office but have never called me for a job & I have been registered with them for almost 3 years. If there is some kind of a problem, they have never said anything to my face.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lawrenceville, GA in Lawrenceville, Georgia

87 months ago

I wasn't impressed with Act 1. I received an email and telephone call from a recruiter asking me to come to their office. I arrived on time, corporately dressed, and I haven't heard from them since. There were at least 5 other people there as well. I think that they just have drives to get people to come and in and keep their database stocked with names without having the actual jobs. I was interested in a specific position which I have the background and experience for and it was just a waste of time. When you're not working, utilizing resources (i.e. gas, dry cleaning, etc) with no promise of being sent on an interview is very counter productive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mtmt in Fayetteville, North Carolina

87 months ago

Lawrenceville, GA in Lawrenceville, Georgia said: I wasn't impressed with Act 1. I received an email and telephone call from a recruiter asking me to come to their office. I arrived on time, corporately dressed, and I haven't heard from them since. There were at least 5 other people there as well. I think that they just have drives to get people to come and in and keep their database stocked with names without having the actual jobs. I was interested in a specific position which I have the background and experience for and it was just a waste of time. When you're not working, utilizing resources (i.e. gas, dry cleaning, etc) with no promise of being sent on an interview is very counter productive.

I am don't with all this companys play with you ....... is an abuse Act 1 is scam

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Elaine in Glendale, California

86 months ago

I had a great experience with ACT-1. I applied for an Administrative position and got a position as an Executive Assistant making 60k. I currently us staffing companies to hire employees for my office and found that ACT-1 has great resume's on file,however, there are some that have only a certain amount of experience. I must say, it is very competitive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Lawrenceville, Georgia

86 months ago

I was contacted for the second time by an Act 1 recruiter and invited to their office for an interview. When I replied and stated that I was interviewed in their office two months ago and completed all of the necessary paperwork, etc. I didn't receive a reply. What a joke! I have better things to do than drive back and forth to their office for nothing. I didn't even get the courtesy of a reply which is very unprofessional.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

tat in Glendale, California

86 months ago

mtmt in Fayetteville, North Carolina said: I am don't with all this companys play with you ....... is an abuse Act 1 is scam

You can't even write...and you want them to find you a job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Student in Glendale, California

86 months ago

After reading these comments, I have to say some are in part true. I keep in mind that some are just personal experiences and may not reflect the results as as whole. After relocating to Central Ca. from abroad I looked up temp agencies in the phone book and self-scheduled for appointments. I applied with several (AppleOne and Kelly were not good at all) The only office that even took the time to work with me was the Bakersfield office. They were so professional! I cannot say enough good about that office or my Staffing Manager (recruiter). I was in a temporay (that's all I wanted) job in less than one week that I stayed working for (8 mos.) until I relocated to Pasadena to go to graduate school. I registered with the Pasadena office, but have to say I have not been as impressed with it. They are nice to me, but I still have not been put on any assignment(s). IMO the office(s) are only as good as the staff. I noticed the Bakersfield office is much busier and has more staff, maybe that is why they are so good. Either way, they treated me great and that is why I feel compelled to write this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Atrium in Los Angeles, California

85 months ago

I interviewed with the owner of Act 1 a few years ago. She is, not coincidentally, married to the owner of Apple One. Apple One helps fund Act 1, which is pretty much a vanity company. Those offices that aren't profitable, get closed. They keep an LA office staffed with reps who take your resume and give you a test, just for show. They work for numbers, not people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Student in Glendale, California

85 months ago

Hmmmm. Interesting statement. The offices I visited sure seemed to be working, the people were (are) nice. Lots of people coming in to pick up paychecks. And, after all I did get a job. I was not at all impressed with Apple, but, so what if the owners are married? If you get a job you get a job, period. All companies lose and make money. I am not sure what you mean to accomplish by this statment, so, whatever....I'm going to be marking this as not helpful....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

HR Professional, San Diego in Chula Vista, California

84 months ago

Host said: What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

I applied with ACT 1 in San Diego. As a professional, I anticipated that I would be treated professionally. Phone calls were not returned, no feedback was given and quite frankly I do not believe that ACT 1 has a HR management position it is looking to fill. Although the individuals were "nice," that in and of itself does not equate to employment. Based on my own research in San Diego, I believe they post BOGUS jobs, work for numbers and string you along. If an applicant treated them like they treat their clients, no one would be employed. Lastly, I will not be doing business with this agency in the future, and I do have numerous positions to fill, however they are no longer in the game.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

JobSeeker2 in Atlanta, Georgia

83 months ago

ACT 1 does not have any jobs in Atlanta. For months, they have been running an ad for a HR Coordinator. It's a joke!! To prove that they are just wasting the time of job seekers, they keep sending me emails asking me to apply in their office and I've already applied in person a few months ago. After I respond to the repeated emails with the response that I have applied in person then the sender doesn't reply. Suddenly they become mute. It's as if they have to meet a quota of bringing people into the office and then they are so unorganized that they keep asking the SAME person to come in again and again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Brianne in Riverdale, Georgia

83 months ago

This place is something else. I set up an appointment upon registering online. I traveled 32 miles for this appointment to be told we don't have anything and someone tried phone you which was bull when I have two contact numbers. How inconsiderate when the cost of gas is soaring. I though it was odd to find there were only a few personnel there with all the desks available. It really looked like a ghost town there. I think the jobs that they advertised are bogus as well, i.e. data entry, admin asst, receptionist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

StaffingGuru in Los Angeles, California

73 months ago

Host said: What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

Is this a real question? The company is a WMBE owned business that has been around over 20+ years..I think its already made it. It's also a part of the Howroyd group which has been in the staffing industry for 40+ years. Keep in mind the Howroyd group is in the top independently owned companies in the nation. Just saying...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jlh in Brooklyn, New York

73 months ago

companies like that (Kelly, Officeteam, etc) are numbers driven. They are not run very efficiently. They get as many resumes as they can, and I assume its to keep them "on file". But when a different position would open in which to use the resumes "on file", the cycle starts all over again with a new posting, and hundreds of new resumes. Then recruiters are told to look at fresh resumes only. Now, employees of companies like these that are having a good month (heck, even a good week!!!) will tell you that a job seeker has to cooperate with them, have a positive attitude, etc. but these companies have horrible operating procedures and practices and I dont believe they are very moral or ethical. I think the reason they are succesful is because the manipulate job seekers into thinking that they are concerned with them, rather then with the company that is paying them. I would like to see all of them go bankrupt and the sole proprietorships out there become more succesful. But that is just me!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Staffing Guru in Somewhere out there, California

67 months ago

jlh in Brooklyn, New York said: I would like to see all of them go bankrupt and the sole proprietorship's out there become more successful. But that is just me!

Sorry this made me giggle. I googled this company. Simple search, but I think it emphasizes the absolute truth that people just talk to talk on these forums. You realize that this company is privately held? One owner not publicly traded? hmmm...then you are quoted saying "I would like to see all of them go bankrupt and the sole proprietorship's out there become more successful".

Does anyone do any research anymore? Or are we a society of people who just talk to talk? Bad mouth for the sake of bad mouthing? This company is exactly what you said you would like to see be successful but in your first breaths in this post you bash them? /giggles

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Sam

44 months ago

Badly run and staffed, bunch of little girls on a power trip.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.