Addeco asked for my social security number. Should I be worried?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Dan in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

21 months ago

I made an account on their site and someone called and told me to take a test on their site. I did then called them to make an appointment to come in. After I made it the last asked for my social and I was not thinking and gave it. This wouldn't be used for fraud would it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

21 months ago

The horse is out of the barn. Not much you can do about it now.

It may not used your Social for fraud, but this agency may use it to conduct a background check and pull your credit report, assuming you signed an authorization.

IMO best thing you can do is monitor your credit rating for any changes. I would suggest next time you're asked for your Social that you refuse to give it pending an actual job offer. For some jobs background checks are understandably required, but generally IMO the ONLY time an employer needs a Social is to prove one's right to work in the U.S. and to complete a W-4.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dan in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

21 months ago

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado said: The horse is out of the barn. Not much you can do about it now.

It may not used your Social for fraud, but this agency may use it to conduct a background check and pull your credit report, assuming you signed an authorization.

IMO best thing you can do is monitor your credit rating for any changes. I would suggest next time you're asked for your Social that you refuse to give it pending an actual job offer. For some jobs background checks are understandably required, but generally IMO the ONLY time an employer needs a Social is to prove one's right to work in the U.S. and to complete a W-4.

They did not state what it was for. I decided to just cancel the interview deposited already taking a test for them and making an appointment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.