Addeco asked for my social security number. Should I be worried?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (17)

Dan in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

21 months ago

I made an account on their site and someone called and told me to take a test on their site. I did then called them to make an appointment to come in. After I made it the last asked for my social and I was not thinking and gave it. This wouldn't be used for fraud would it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

jenab in Austin, Texas

21 months ago

Michelle Elam in Peoria, Illinois said: Dan, we ask for your SSN some times to ensure we don't already have an account set up for you in another branch. We want to make sure that your updated information goes to the correct file. If we don't do this sometimes is causes delay in putting you on an assignment.

The whole social or the last four digits? No one should EVER be providing (or asking for) a SSN over the phone unless it's a government agency. Asking for a complete SSN over the phone is a violation of protecting confidential standards. And isn't Adecco a publicly traded company? I sincerely hope your system does not show SSNs because that's a huge security risk, and last I knew a violation of SOX.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

21 months ago

Michelle Elam in Peoria, Illinois said: Dan, we ask for your SSN some times to ensure we don't already have an account set up for you in another branch. We want to make sure that your updated information goes to the correct file. If we don't do this sometimes is causes delay in putting you on an assignment.

Is this stored securely?. I just didn't like how it was done, they asked after I had set up the appointment and then later I thought about it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

jenab in Austin, Texas

21 months ago

Dan in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: Is this stored securely?. I just didn't like how it was done, they asked after I had set up the appointment and then later I thought about it.

Good question to ask; I find it very disturbing that someone from Adecco would ask for a social over the phone (assuming they asked for the whole number). They need your SSN for tax purposes if you work for them, but that is data that has to be encrypted. They do not need it if you're still just a prospective. Your SSN is something you should not be sharing until you're at the point you're filling out an I9 form.

Standard practice is to ask for only the last four digits, best practice is having a completely different unique identifier. They can (and should) be verifying street address, phone, as a standard DB management practice (staffing and recruiting agency databases are notoriously full of redundant and obsolete records).

If you go to the adecco website, there is a link for the compliance and ethics reporting page, with contact information if you want to pursue it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

21 months ago

jenab in Austin, Texas said: Good question to ask; I find it very disturbing that someone from Adecco would ask for a social over the phone (assuming they asked for the whole number). They need your SSN for tax purposes if you work for them, but that is data that has to be encrypted. They do not need it if you're still just a prospective. Your SSN is something you should not be sharing until you're at the point you're filling out an I9 form.

Standard practice is to ask for only the last four digits, best practice is having a completely different unique identifier. They can (and should) be verifying street address, phone, as a standard DB management practice (staffing and recruiting agency databases are notoriously full of redundant and obsolete records).

If you go to the adecco website, there is a link for the compliance and ethics reporting page, with contact information if you want to pursue it.

I dont want to pursue it. I honestly think it was just someone be overzealous perhaps. I just hope there isnt anything bad that will come of it.

jenab in Austin, Texas

21 months ago

Dan in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: I dont want to pursue it. I honestly think it was just someone be overzealous perhaps. I just hope there isnt anything bad that will come of it.

Understandable. I think I'm just shocked that Michelle Elam would comment so blithely about obtaining them. It's a good reminder that during job search people need to be vigilant about how their information is obtained and stored.

21 months ago

jenab in Austin, Texas said: Understandable. I think I'm just shocked that Michelle Elam would comment so blithely about obtaining them. It's a good reminder that during job search people need to be vigilant about how their information is obtained and stored.

You dont think I should be concerned with identity fraud do you? I know I was talking to an actual Addeco person who sent me to their site to do a test and such so no doubt it was a real person from there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jenab in Austin, Texas

21 months ago

Dan in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: You dont think I should be concerned with identity fraud do you? I know I was talking to an actual Addeco person who sent me to their site to do a test and such so no doubt it was a real person from there.

I don't think they were stealing it or intend to misuse it, but it's very careless.

Personally Identifiable Information (PII) is supposed to be secured, and only people who really need to have it should be able to have access to it. So the person who onboards you will, but when they enter it into the system, it's supposed to be encrypted so the whole SSN is obscured, and if any part is visible, only the last four digits. They should not be able to see the whole thing when they look it up in their system.

If the system isn't secured, it means an unscrupulous or careless person could expose PII. So at best, someone at Adecco needs a refresher in Protecting Confidential Information compliance (something I'd be shocked they weren't required to know). At worst, Adecco is vulnerable to causing identify theft for their candidates and employees. It's tantamount to having your whole credit card number on a restaurant receipt, only a much larger scale.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

21 months ago

Thanks jen. I feel a little better. I will make sure I dont put myself in this position in the future.

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

21 months ago

Michelle Elam in Peoria, Illinois said: [W]e ask for your SSN some times to ensure we don't already have an account set up for you in another branch. We want to make sure that your updated information goes to the correct file. If we don't do this sometimes is causes delay in putting you on an assignment.
Oh, come on, Michelle. You're not addressing stupid people here.

What assurances can you give that personal information is secured, as written about, above? What assurances can you give that you are not using Socials to run UNPERMITTED credit checks and background checks, and pulling up court records, MVRs, bankruptcy records and military records? None of this information is relevant to determining ability to do a job. It is unduly intrusive in every way.

All you agency people need to do is ask candidates if they have another account. Alternatively, assign their accounts in-house ID numbers.

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

21 months ago

jenab in Austin, Texas said: The whole social or the last four digits? No one should EVER be providing (or asking for) a SSN over the phone unless it's a government agency.
Even then, how does one know for sure the call is legit? Everyone hears stories about phone calls initiated by prison inmates trying to scam unsuspecting people out of their Socials, etc.

I would refuse to provide my Social. Then I would initiate a call to the purported agecy, using a different phone, maybe, and ask about that call.

jenab in Austin, Texas

21 months ago

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado said: Even then, how does one know for sure the call is legit? Everyone hears stories about phone calls initiated by prison inmates trying to scam unsuspecting people out of their Socials, etc.

I would refuse to provide my Social. Then I would initiate a call to the purported agecy, using a different phone, maybe, and ask about that call.

I didn't specify the circumstances when it would be considered legitimate. Certainly no one should be providing that on an inbound call, or any cais legitimate. I do know when I've had to call Texas UIB I do have to verify my SSN, but that portion of the call is an automated system and I know the number I am calling is legitimate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Noneofyourbusinessindeed in Noneofyourbusinessindeed, Alaska

15 months ago

Same thing happen to me.Applied for a position. A very professional recruiter(she really was nice)contacted me with a temp position with 3M. They ask me, without job offer and before any interview, for the last four digits of my SSN and DOB. I told then I wouldn't feel comfortable giving that kind of information before any job offer.

I withdrew my application.

Noneofyourbusinessindeed in Noneofyourbusinessindeed, Alaska

15 months ago

No need to have the social security to keep track of applicants.Just assign a random generate number attached to the first and last-name and date that the application was filled.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jobseeker84 in Atlanta, Georgia

15 months ago

Noneofyourbusinessindeed in Noneofyourbusinessindeed, Alaska said: No need to have the social security to keep track of applicants.Just assign a random generate number attached to the first and last-name and date that the application was filled.

Exactly. The lady at the DOL looked at me funny when I said I no longer wanted to give my SSN up front to companies or staffing agencies. I've given it 1 too many times to organizations I never hear back from. I reserve that right to withhold. It's my identity. It's the 1 good thing I have to my name. No secured job offer= No SSN.

Bluetea in Texas

15 months ago

Noneofyourbusinessindeed in Noneofyourbusinessindeed, Alaska said: No need to have the social security to keep track of applicants.Just assign a random generate number attached to the first and last-name and date that the application was filled.

I will give the last four number. If they want the whole SSN, I give the first five numbers and the last four numbers of the year in which my sister was born.

Import in Wilkesboro, North Carolina

12 days ago

Is jobs hard to come by

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.