CRIMINAL BACKGROUND DISCRIMINATION

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 232)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

what the?? in Goshen, New York

35 months ago

Charlie in Savannah, Georgia said: I was just writing in response to an ex drug dealer who wanted to be a nurse or something like that. I don't understand why people who have criminal records believe for a millisecond that it doesn't change things. If I lost fingers on one hand I'd not expect to become a world class pianist.

Even a nurse who had many years of experience would not be able to get the job back after any drug related convictions.

but think about all of the nurses who do drugs or drug deal on the side that just have not gotten caught, now here is someone who changed their life around. if they did the crime at 18 years old and want to be a nurse at 50, they should be forgiven. people can change.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

what the?? in Goshen, New York

35 months ago

i also what to let people know about something called a certificate for the relief of disablilites. from what i know about it, it may relieve jobs from holding your crimial history against you, it is presented to a judge and i think they cannot hold it against you or it seals it from jobs seeing it. i am not fully clear on it. but look it up on the internet and see if it will help. good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

debra in Columbia, South Carolina

34 months ago

IVETTE said: HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE DONE SOMETHING THE PAST AND PAID FOR IT NOW??? WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT IS SOME PEOPLE HAVE COMMITED SOME KIND OF FELONY OR MISTOMEANOR AND NO ONE IS WILLING TO GIVE US A CHANCE THEN SOCIETY WONDERS WHY THERE IS SO MANY PEOPLE COMMITING CRIMES OUT THERE..HELLO IF SOCIETY DOESN'T GIVE YOU A SECOND CHANCE HOW IS IT THAT WE ARE GOING TO PROVE OURSELVES THAT WE WANT TO TURN OVER A NEW LEAF IT'S LIKE "YOU HAVE A CRIMINAL BACKGROUND SO THERE FOR NOT INTIALED TO HAVE A JOB"? I MEAN COME ON THAT SHOULD BE ILLEGAL.. GRANT IT THEY SHOULD SE WHAT KIND OF OFFENSE YOU HAVE COMMITTED AND THE JOB YOU ARE APPLYING FOR... IF ANY ONE OUT THERE IS GOING THROUGH THIS PLEASE LET ME KNOW I'M PLANNING TO START A PETITION TO CONGRESS TO GET SOME KIND OF HELP FROM THE STATE TO PROTECT AGAINST THIS KIND OF DISCRIMINATION .............

I BELIEVE THAT THERE WAS A LAW PASSED CALLED THE SECOND CHANCE ACT LAW BUT SC WONT ENFORCE IT. WE NEED HELP.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

what the ???? in Goshen, New York

34 months ago

debra in Columbia, South Carolina said: I BELIEVE THAT THERE WAS A LAW PASSED CALLED THE SECOND CHANCE ACT LAW BUT SC WONT ENFORCE IT. WE NEED HELP.

this is what the second chance law does:

What does the Second Chance Act
(SCA) do?
The “second chance” referred to in the SCA
applies almost exclusively to people leaving
prison – it does not give shorter sentences to
people already in prison. The SCA primarily
authorizes federal funding for state and federal
reentry programs. It also directs – but does
not require – the Bureau of Prisons (BOP) to
consider giving federal prisoners longer stays
in halfway houses, and authorizes funds for a
very limited test program for early release of
certain elderly prisoners (see page five).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

phoenix in Green Bay, Wisconsin

32 months ago

James in Douglasville, Georgia said: Being from Georgia you should know that the legal system here is an industry. I have been denied housing and employment due to 20 year old felonies that were not related to the positions for which I have applied. Our glorious Coca-Cola interviewed and did testing for a dispatcher position. After commenting I had tested well above the requirements for the position the office manager informed me I would start training in 2 days. Then the paperwork was processed and being politically correct they rescinded the offer due to my felony convictions. They did not even fun a background check, merely having a felony listed on the application was sufficient to disregard my acumen in the field. There are several temporary employment agencies which will not let me register.

I have been refused housing on more than one occasion due to a felony past as well. I am forced to rent from private individuals or live in sub-standard housing due to the managed properties policies. It is ironic that these same properties have no issues with Section 8 tenants, for which they get a tax credit. Nor does it appear they are concerned with 6 tenants living in a studio apartment, who all have the same social security number.

I understand there is no sympathy for felons in this country. Where is that Christian spirit of forgiveness we flaunt in the South? I hope that you or a family member does not make a mistake. THERE MUST BE A SUBSERVIENT CLASS. Felons and illegal aliens fill that role.

>>>>>>>>>>>. I too have felony Convictions that are decades old , and if the discrimination continues I have no problem crossing back over that line and dragging their happy asses with me .. my iq score is over 118 and my chips/ imed criminal iq places me a gifted

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

deb in Columbia, South Carolina

32 months ago

I WANT TO SAY KEEP FIGHTING. THERE IS A LAW THAT WAS PASSED CALLED THE SECOND CHANCE ACT LAW BUT, IT HAS TO BE ENFORCED IN ALL STATES. LISTEN THEY ARE NOT ENFORCESING IT. NOW IT IS ON THE INTERNET. LOOK IT UP

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

deb in Columbia, South Carolina

32 months ago

LET START A WRITTEN PROTEDT TO ENFORCE THE SEC OND CHANCE ACRT LAW IN SC AND GEORGIA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

LENNY G in Lithonia, Georgia

32 months ago

Cheryl K in Delaware in Schwenksville, Pennsylvania said: If you're a Judge Matthias fan, he got in some scrapes with the law as a child, now he's a judge and gives second chances. I just recently had an interview for a claims processor in Family Court; it looks really good.

Congrats Brother!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

dbryant2626 in Mechanicsville, Virginia

32 months ago

go to youtube.com and go to facebook...

type in (end background discrimination)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

miss pj in Dallas, Texas

32 months ago

I too have done some stupid things in my late twenties, and received a couple of felonies. And now at fifty something it still hunts me. I worked a job sixteen years to be laid off, thanks to the economy, went to school to get a fresh start in the medical field only to be delayed by a year, for investigations , and procedures by the State of Texas, and just now beginning to finish what I started as a fresh start. All the jobs that I applied for states the same thing, even though my incidents were twenty five years ago.I'm sorry but. No one is willing to give you a chance. But people in this society are quick to say get a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

carlos in Holiday, Florida

31 months ago

you got my vote .....i was release in jan.2011. been looking for work since and still have not found any thing...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

miss pj in Dallas, Texas

31 months ago

In this society today, there is no such thing as a second chance. Corporate America frowns on people who has made mistakes in their younger years. People do change for the better, but doors are still being closed in their faces. Where there are 15 you don't qualify, there should be at least 5 that will say, I'll give you a chance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

dlsmith3 in Muskegon, Michigan

31 months ago

....www.hirenetwork.org..... has info to help people with criminal backgrounds..!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

pondering in nowhere, Louisiana

31 months ago

IVETTE said: HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE DONE SOMETHING THE PAST AND PAID FOR IT NOW??? WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT IS SOME PEOPLE HAVE COMMITED SOME KIND OF FELONY OR MISTOMEANOR AND NO ONE IS WILLING TO GIVE US A CHANCE THEN SOCIETY WONDERS WHY THERE IS SO MANY PEOPLE COMMITING CRIMES OUT THERE..HELLO IF SOCIETY DOESN'T GIVE YOU A SECOND CHANCE HOW IS IT THAT WE ARE GOING TO PROVE OURSELVES THAT WE WANT TO TURN OVER A NEW LEAF IT'S LIKE "YOU HAVE A CRIMINAL BACKGROUND SO THERE FOR NOT INTIALED TO HAVE A JOB"? I MEAN COME ON THAT SHOULD BE ILLEGAL.. GRANT IT THEY SHOULD SE WHAT KIND OF OFFENSE YOU HAVE COMMITTED AND THE JOB YOU ARE APPLYING FOR... IF ANY ONE OUT THERE IS GOING THROUGH THIS PLEASE LET ME KNOW I'M PLANNING TO START A PETITION TO CONGRESS TO GET SOME KIND OF HELP FROM THE STATE TO PROTECT AGAINST THIS KIND OF DISCRIMINATION .............

I was wondering if you have had any luck since your original post. My husband has a record from years ago. He did his time and has been working steady since. However, the jobs are with a friend that runs the businesses he has worked for. We are wanting to move but are worried about him finding work. Any advice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

millionbound in Fort Worth, Texas

31 months ago

I too am a victim of the racism of having a criminal backgroung. How come everyone else can mistakes except for me? There was supposed to be a law that passed that stated they no longer looked at your criminal background, but it seems the problem has gotten worse here in Texas. As far as trying to get my case sealed; haha...the lady told me that since it was a conviction, they was nothing I could do. The worst part is that I never been to prison. I just have a felony. How the hell is that you ask? When you find out, let me know. My friend's boyfriend didn't get a job at Taco Bell as a line lead, not even messing with cash because he had a felony. The only true suggestion I have is to move to another state. When you step over state lines, something just seems to be totally different, and most states only do a statewide background check, unless you trying to get a clearance job. I tried it before myself, and I have a friend now that has a criminal background; he went to visit his brother in another state for his birthday. He got there on Saturday, and on that Monday he got a job, and has had one every since. His birthday is Oct. 7th. Matter of fact he got a better job in the last week. I know that everyone can't move, but it may be an option to think about like me....Other than that, try and start your own small business, and only hire felons since society is perfect and they don't make mistakes. Good luck everyone....Im looking for a new state to move to too; any suggestions? Oh and the person that started this...On with the petition-I know a fleet of felons here that would love to sign it, including me....r tell me what to do and I will get one started here in Texas while you do one where you're at...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

millionbound in Fort Worth, Texas

31 months ago

Also there is a man named John who has website called www.AptFindFelons.com; he has a number, but this forum will not allow me to post it. His main email is 24x7aptfind@gmail.com. He specializes in helping people with criminal backgrounds get a place to stay. He does all the work for you, and he will tell you exactly what to do from beginning to end. He helped me get into the apt Im in right now. He mainly works by email. Contact him and see what he can do for you. Just tell him he helped someone get in an apt and I am paying it forward....hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

devidasi in Tompkinsville, Kentucky

30 months ago

I was wondering if Dollar General or a similar company checks for misdeameanors on the background check. I know for a FACT they check for felonies but not sure about misdeameanors. It was a shoplifting misdeameanor when I was 19, 7 years ago. Please Help!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

employed again in Ann Arbor, Michigan

29 months ago

Jobless in Phila said: Hi,
I agree with you. We need reform in regards to non-violent and minor felonies. My felony is for habitual traffic offender and I am having the same problem. Employers see "felony" and they don't care what it is. So, you are treated as BAD person unworthy of any chances thereafter. This in turn...and I hope it does not happen to me, forces you to make desparate decisions and commit REAL CRIMES! We have to have our voices heard in congress, the punishment is far too steep.

I couldn't agree more. I just lost another job. I had been there one month and did a wonderful job, all feedback was very positive. Came in Friday morning and was told at the front counter that I was not a good fit. (whatever that means.) what that means to me is that they found out something about my past. Why didn't they do a check before they hired me. I think if they decide to hire you and your performance has been great that they should have to have a better reason once you are hired. Rather then oops maybe we should have and then oh dear, this person is not acceptable, no matter how good the work you have done has been. Talk about discrimination. This is the very definition of the word. I am just heart broken, not to mention, broke. And soon to be homeless. Unemployed, again in Michigan

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Powder Springs, Georgia in Indian Trail, North Carolina

29 months ago

I have a pardon. I agree with you that if a state gives a pardon your record should be sealed or something better. I just need the opportunity.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Martin Jack Powell in Goose Creek, South Carolina

29 months ago

As of today 2/21/12 I was told due a past criminal back ground the insurance company would not hire me due to this this was a charge over 20 years ago, now i am paying for it and the sad part is I an currently in the same kind of bussiness, i have a federal back ground check done because of my job but a insurance company turns me down.... I also think there should be a time limit on how far someone can go back into your past and pull this up...

Sincerely,
Martin Jack Powell

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Shellyw in Berwick, Pennsylvania

28 months ago

Same here.... Just graduated with Associates Degree and because I have a criminal record I still don't have a job. I don't know what it takes but I go into every interview and do well and then that question of my background comes up. Need serious help. It is really depressing when your children ask if you got the job and you have to tell them not yet. I have good support but feel terrible without working. I can't sell myself any more unless I go out on the corner( just joking ) that only will get me more of a criminal history HaHa. Just trying to do the right thing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

joYce saNtos in Miami, Florida

28 months ago

I've been out of wrk 4yrs because of ths....cant have it exspunged cause ya cant find work...cant find work cause ya cant have it exspunged OK SOMETHNG HAS GOT 2 GIVE I KNW THEY MAKE MONEY OF TAXES WITH PPL BE'N N JAIL OR PRISON.......BUT REALLY IS THT HOW U WANT TO EARN MONEY..........NOT ALL OF US ARE BAD PEOPLE AND LIVE OFF OF COMMITTING CRIMES....SOME OF US ARE JUS AT THE WRONG PLACE AT THE WRONG TIME OR JUS MAKE BAD CHOICES OF WHO WE ASSOCIATE WITH

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Terry Lester in Jacksonville, Florida

27 months ago

I really agree on that because my brother got in a misdemeaner and did 2 yrs of community service and got an award of completion and its hard for him to get a job. We were all young and dumb but he has turned his life around with the help from people who love him and never look back....ya do good, ya get good ! hes done real good, hes got a loving girl friend and daughter and loves life but is at a dead end. Hes not trash.. he seen the light. He had a good job but the his record came up and the blues start up all over!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

D. Miler in Fishers, Indiana

27 months ago

I know exactly what you mean bruh, I swear if I had a nickel, hell maybe even a penny for every job that has shot me down I wouldn't need a job...but I know there's one out there for me somewhere and there's one out there for you too and to hell with those who keep throwing our pasts in our faces. They'll soon realize that they overlooked great employees because of their bias

D. Shults

27 months ago

over 15 years ago two mixdemmeanor domestic violence charges. state picked up charges and i was told to just get it behind me. laws changed now I am not able to find a job and secondary education opportunities are limited. I was convicted without evidence. I am unable to own a firearm. I would have fought these charges no matter what if I had known how policies would change and the devestating effect it has had on my life. I was convicted without evidence and just had to get back to taking care of my family. poor council and lack of funds have left me with almost no options. this is not right . i have to support myself and my son. I am a very hard worker with awesome references. I am attending community college and trying very hard. want to transfer but these opportunities are limited. what can I do?

Soup-line guy in Minneapolis, Minnesota

26 months ago

Still working at it said:
“Focus on this.
During an interview,…”

What interview?! Adecco told me directly that their clients won’t accept anyone with any criminal record, so my interview was cancelled. A temp agency? Really?!

I, and from what I’ve seen many, don’t get an interview. Employers instantly reject applications with that little checkbox ticked where you answer yes to a conviction. They don’t look to see what the conviction was; they don’t look to see that the record is over 25 years old. They simply ignore their disclaimer and automatically disqualify.

Fortunately I can work on cars and do home repairs freelance and my neighbors don’t ask for a background check. They get to brag about their lawn being mowed by a scientist, at least.

josolo3 in San Bernardino, California

26 months ago

What upsets me is that an employer who, for example, has 100 people applying for 20 positions, first thing they will do is throw away the applications of people with criminal record. We do not have a chance in our current economy and jobs situation

Alyce in Trenton, New Jersey

25 months ago

I am going through the same thing. I am a nurse with a BSN in graduate school and I can't find a job. I have not worked for over 4 months. I am about to lose my apartment, I can't pay my car insurance, or hardly by personal things. Everyone one shuts me down once the see I have a felony over 13 years ago. I have offered plenty of jobs until the background comes up. I even had one lady tell me they were no longer hiring at this time, only to see the add posted for the next four months.

Ken J in Minneapolis, Minnesota

24 months ago

frankieblue114@yahoo.com in Magnolia, New Jersey said: Hey my name is Frank and Im going through exactly what you are I have skills and am a hard worker but for employment mostly their concern isnt my education or job experience but my past . I NEVER KILLED NO ONE AND FEEL I LIKE YOU THAT WE SHOLD GET ANOTHER CHANCE RIGHT ON!!! Write me at Frankieblue114@yah.com

I have actually been offered positions, gotten an offer letter, past the drug screen and employment verification, and filled out the tax paperwork. My initial application acknoledged that I had a petty misdemeanor that I explained and when the backgroud autorization was done, the job offer was resended. That is devestating and it has happened to me 3 times in the last 2 months.

Ken J in Minneapolis, Minnesota

24 months ago

I have actually been offered positions, gotten an offer letter, past the drug screen and employment verification, and filled out the tax paperwork. My initial application acknoledged that I had a petty misdemeanor that I explained and when the backgroud autorization was done, the job offer was resended. That is devestating and it has happened to me 3 times in the last 2 months.

DMason in Rockwall, Texas

22 months ago

IVETTE said: HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE DONE SOMETHING THE PAST AND PAID FOR IT NOW??? WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT IS SOME PEOPLE HAVE COMMITED SOME KIND OF FELONY OR MISTOMEANOR AND NO ONE IS WILLING TO GIVE US A CHANCE THEN SOCIETY WONDERS WHY THERE IS SO MANY PEOPLE COMMITING CRIMES OUT THERE..HELLO IF SOCIETY DOESN'T GIVE YOU A SECOND CHANCE HOW IS IT THAT WE ARE GOING TO PROVE OURSELVES THAT WE WANT TO TURN OVER A NEW LEAF IT'S LIKE "YOU HAVE A CRIMINAL BACKGROUND SO THERE FOR NOT INTIALED TO HAVE A JOB"? I MEAN COME ON THAT SHOULD BE ILLEGAL.. GRANT IT THEY SHOULD SE WHAT KIND OF OFFENSE YOU HAVE COMMITTED AND THE JOB YOU ARE APPLYING FOR... IF ANY ONE OUT THERE IS GOING THROUGH THIS PLEASE LET ME KNOW I'M PLANNING TO START A PETITION TO CONGRESS TO GET SOME KIND OF HELP FROM THE STATE TO PROTECT AGAINST THIS KIND OF DISCRIMINATION .............I feel the same as you.It is so hard for me and the thing I did was years ago and they still geve me a hard time. I have a job however they dont do background checks.I am with you on that

xnmmi in Lancaster, California

22 months ago

The reality is in today's society no fortune 500 company or any large organization is going to hire anyone with a record. Why should they? - they get 1000's of applications for one posting and 98% of those are clean, non-record candidates. Find the neighborhood company, a small business, and be up front about your past - that's the only chance you'll have.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Formy husband

22 months ago

deaver1999 in Bellmawr, New Jersey said: Many of us are going through this and my husband who has a job gets looked over for promotions and his raises slip through the cracks please start a petition we need help from some where. Yes many of us make mstakes and pay for it the rest of lives.

Same here my husband is having the same problem. He paid for his crime. Let him work !!! Lets do it PETITION !!!!!

Formy husband

22 months ago

Same thing my husband is going through, Interview than background comes no job, no fair he done his time, Let him work !!! I say PETITION!!

fewilliams85 in Omaha, Nebraska

21 months ago

Hi my name is Felicia I'm am going though it right now I made a mistake at the age of 21 I'm single mom that change her life around I suppose to had my record expunged but to find out it still show on my record even i have paper showing that my case is dismissed certify by the court . I'm on the Internet applying for jobs in still no calls back I'm lost on what I'm to do bills is coming on top of having to take care of a 4 your old I feel if it's not a big crime why not give us a second chance..... Write fewilliams85@ yahoo.com

Help Yourself Out Of The Hole in Manorville, New York

21 months ago

Another poster noted: "My friends recommended that I find an attorney who would help me. I did. My record was obliterated through the process of expungment. Expungment is obliterating or sealing one's record."

Please be aware that there are now some companies on the internet that are scams, or charging too much money for this service.

If you have internet access, please search for a lawyer in your are that has experience in expunging felonies. Search lawyer expunge (and your) zip code.
Get a free appointment with a lawyer (often the first consultation is free)dress appropriately (business attire) and bring your legal documents and identification with you.
Ask how much, how long, and if the lawyer can do anything for you. If they don't have these answers, go to another lawyer.
Once you've found one, research his cases. Just search on his name.

This might seem extreme or scary, but if you do this you will at least educate yourself about what you must do to get an expungement. If all else fails, seek out the local pro-bono criminal lawyer and start with him or her. They can often give you valuable advice over the phone. Do exactly what they tell you to do, and you might see some results.

Good luck to you all.

Help Yourself Out Of The Hole in Manorville, New York

21 months ago

For a Pro Bono lawyer search on Legal Aid Society and your zip code.

jack loeffler in Columbus, Ohio

21 months ago

im with you .i thought the system basically says go do your time and then its over. they should just put it on our records because after that your life is over . prison is suposed to reform. but after im reformed i still can't get a job so what do i do now? oh i know commit another crime. maybe thats what its set up for. big business? lets petition. theres got to be something done.

21 months ago

millionbound in Fort Worth, Texas said: I too am a victim of the racism of having a criminal backgroung. How come everyone else can mistakes except for me? There was supposed to be a law that passed that stated they no longer looked at your criminal background, but it seems the problem has gotten worse here in Texas. As far as trying to get my case sealed; haha...the lady told me that since it was a conviction, they was nothing I could do. The worst part is that I never been to prison. I just have a felony. How the hell is that you ask? When you find out, let me know. My friend's boyfriend didn't get a job at Taco Bell as a line lead, not even messing with cash because he had a felony. The only true suggestion I have is to move to another state. When you step over state lines, something just seems to be totally different, and most states only do a statewide background check, unless you trying to get a clearance job. I tried it before myself, and I have a friend now that has a criminal background; he went to visit his brother in another state for his birthday. He got there on Saturday, and on that Monday he got a job, and has had one every since. His birthday is Oct. 7th. Matter of fact he got a better job in the last week. I know that everyone can't move, but it may be an option to think about like me....Other than that, try and start your own small business , and only hire felons since society is perfect and they don't make mistakes. Good luck everyone....Im looking for a new state to move to too; any suggestions? Oh and the person that started this...On with the petition-I know a fleet of felons here that would love to sign it, including me....r tell me what to do and I will get one started here in Texas while you do one where you're at...

well dont come to ohio its probably the worst

21 months ago

millionbound in Fort Worth, Texas said: I too am a victim of the racism of having a criminal backgroung. How come everyone else can mistakes except for me? There was supposed to be a law that passed that stated they no longer looked at your criminal background, but it seems the problem has gotten worse here in Texas. As far as trying to get my case sealed; haha...the lady told me that since it was a conviction, they was nothing I could do. The worst part is that I never been to prison. I just have a felony. How the hell is that you ask? When you find out, let me know. My friend's boyfriend didn't get a job at Taco Bell as a line lead, not even messing with cash because he had a felony. The only true suggestion I have is to move to another state. When you step over state lines, something just seems to be totally different, and most states only do a statewide background check, unless you trying to get a clearance job. I tried it before myself, and I have a friend now that has a criminal background; he went to visit his brother in another state for his birthday. He got there on Saturday, and on that Monday he got a job, and has had one every since. His birthday is Oct. 7th. Matter of fact he got a better job in the last week. I know that everyone can't move, but it may be an option to think about like me....Other than that, try and start your own small business , and only hire felons since society is perfect and they don't make mistakes. Good luck everyone....Im looking for a new state to move to too; any suggestions? Oh and the person that started this...On with the petition-I know a fleet of felons here that would love to sign it, including me....r tell me what to do and I will get one started here in Texas while you do one where you're at...

well dont come to ohio its probably the worst but send that petition something has vto be done we have to rise up WE HAVE TO its the only way

Terry Lester in Jacksonville, Florida

21 months ago

How about irs help you get out of jail, with your own income tax return! a $1OOO.00 bondsman and let her make payments before she looses everything>. in or near Waycross,Ga..have $ 1000.00 signed by her mother who also gets irs return....she has 2 kids, please be kind..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

xnmmi in Lancaster, California

21 months ago

Terry Lester in Jacksonville, Florida said: How about irs help you get out of jail, with your own income tax return! a $1OOO.00 bondsman and let her make payments before she looses everything>. in or near Waycross,Ga..have $ 1000.00 signed by her mother who also gets irs return....she has 2 kids, please be kind..

WTH are you blathering about?????

Anonymous in Wantagh, New York

21 months ago

I, and many others that i know are stuck in this same process. It's been nearly 7years since my incident and I'm still unable to receive a good paying job, or a decent job, or any job other than a fast food restaurant. I'm a well educated man, and each door and opportunity closes in my face. I've been to over 100 (not exaggerating) interviews and all turned away because of my criminal history, even if the employer does not admit it.

Bobby J in Hatboro, Pennsylvania

20 months ago

James in Douglasville, Georgia said: Being from Georgia you should know that the legal system here is an industry. I have been denied housing and employment due to 20 year old felonies that were not related to the positions for which I have applied. Our glorious Coca-Cola interviewed and did testing for a dispatcher position. After commenting I had tested well above the requirements for the position the office manager informed me I would start training in 2 days. Then the paperwork was processed and being politically correct they rescinded the offer due to my felony convictions. They did not even fun a background check, merely having a felony listed on the application was sufficient to disregard my acumen in the field. There are several temporary employment agencies which will not let me register.

I have been refused housing on more than one occasion due to a felony past as well. I am forced to rent from private individuals or live in sub-standard housing due to the managed properties policies. It is ironic that these same properties have no issues with Section 8 tenants, for which they get a tax credit . Nor does it appear they are concerned with 6 tenants living in a studio apartment , who all have the same social security number.

I understand there is no sympathy for felons in this country. Where is that Christian spirit of forgiveness we flaunt in the South? I hope that you or a family member does not make a mistake. THERE MUST BE A SUBSERVIENT CLASS. Felons and illegal aliens fill that role.

While I understand your issue, as I am having to deal with them myself, if GA is so stringent and restrictive, then MOVE! MANY other states are not nearly as strict and have many laws in place to help. Do not stay stuck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Donmontrel Graves in Denham Springs, Louisiana

19 months ago

Yes I do understand. I to have a past and I can't shake it off my future. I have applied a many jobs and with no prevail . My wife is working two jobs and I break my heart. I Love her and she loves me and she is holding our family together. But as a man I. Hard it's hard to know your not doing your full part as a man and father to provide for your family. So YES I will !!!!

Rexroots in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

19 months ago

Same here and you can say that I am too young to die but too old to rock n' roll. I have Bachelor in Mechanical Eng. and have all kinds of useless computer certificates because they are not helping me get a job. I have volunteered to work free for a month. Needless to say,my efforts are fruitless. I kinda lost hope and trying to find any $10 / hour job because my bills are piling up. I recently applied for a part time surf instructor position. I am sure they are not doing any background check.
I am so down and out that I accepted my destiny which is to pay for my 20 year old mistake for the rest of my life.

Rexroots in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

19 months ago

Charlie in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: Oh yeah. God forbid anyone disagree with an ex-felon! What was I thinking?

As for making decisions in my life it is my life isn't it? At my age I won't be on the planet that much longer so I really don't care. If it even turned back into the wild West with everyone wearing a side arm I would be long gone.

I will, however, express my point of view and I do believe there is a bit of history to support it.

Those who ignore history are destined to repeat it.

In the words of the great Senor Citason:

Los criminales deben ser dados una botella del bebe y ser sentados en una esquina para el resto de sus vidas.

I think you are going over your head. By the way, I 've learned if I don't have anyting good or constructive to say ...don't.

smithhouse2006@yahoo.com in Burbank, California

18 months ago

Frist thing you need to do is go and get an pardonship, and if you do that. that sure help you alot

Danelo in Georgetown, Texas

18 months ago

Some of you who are unforgiving to us felons might want to think about this. I was driving buzzed but not sloppy, slurring, falling-down drunk. I stopped at a stop sign but the guy behind me didn't.

He crashed into me so hard it shoved my car out into the intersection and oncoming traffic. A car broadsided me and his passenger was killed.

Since I was over the legal limit, I was charged (as the guy who rear-ended me was) and we both got 15 years. I served 5; he served 12.

Some of you unsympathetic and unforgiving people might want to think about this next time you drive home after a few beers after work or maybe after the yearly company xmas party you went to. Or that 3-champagne wedding you just left.

Good luck to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Danelo in Georgetown, Texas

18 months ago

When I was looking for a job I applied with a Temp Agency and they ran a criminal background check on me. They found a misdemeanor I got 23 years ago and nothing else. Yet I knew I had a DUI/Fatality felony on there!

I also applied at a Courier Service and they also ran a criminal background check on me. They found NOTHING at all on my record!

I then applied at Sears and they found everything on my record since the day I was born.

I have figured out that depending on what website the business uses to check on you will depend on what they find. Therefore, you might be better off lying about your past and hoping for the best.

All businesses say they check on you, but there are some that never do unless you check YES on the application where it asks you about a criminal conviction.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.