CRIMINAL BACKGROUND DISCRIMINATION

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 275)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

San Francisco UA in Oakland, California

31 months ago

outofworkfelon2 in cheyenne, Wyoming said: i have 11 felonies and a consensual sex with a minor conviction from when i was 18 and now im gonna be 33 and ive not gotten a new conviction for 5 years. nobody will hire me not even taco bell. i have to find remodel work under the table. its crap. they made me register as a sex offender here in wyoming even tho the convicting state of california didnt require it. ive lost 2 jobs been harassed threatened and denied every type of assistance i have ever applied for even food stamps1

I feel for you man! One of my best friends (in Pennsylvania) got convicted of rape when he was 18, served 10 years in state prison. COULD NOT get hired by anyone, got into selling drugs and now is back in prison for another 5 years. I feel for the guy...he was frustrated he couldn't get hired, he was depressed even talked about suicide - I flew him out here to California - once to the Bay Area, once to San Diego -- to get him to relax, and try to get his mind on the right track. Unfortunately he got back in with the wrong crowd in Pittsburgh - his face was even on the TV news (Crap! That was embarrasing) for violating his sex-offender registry requirements. Too make a long story short -- his frustration at not having a job and needing to pay rent, food and car expenses let him to prison again. Best of luck to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

San Francisco UA in Oakland, California

31 months ago

fyrestorm319@gmail.com in Midland, Texas said: Wow, I was beginning to think I was imagining things until I started reading some of the posts on here! My story is similar to many -- I have a felony conviction that happened 30 years ago, have had a clean record ever since, been employed steadily. The last company I worked for (for 16 years) unexpectedly went out of business in June of 2011, and I have been looking for work ever since. Despite dozens of applications, 35+ years experience as an electronics technician, and holding a Bachelors Degree, I can't even land a job stocking shelves at Walmart. I thought maybe it was age discrimination (I'm 58), but just this past Friday I got a rude awakening when an employment agency told me to my face that they couldn't source me to any of their clients due to the conviction in my background. Now I'm thinking that was probably a factor in many if not most of my previous rejections. I've just contacted EEOC about this, but I don't know if they will be any help. It's definitely not a fair practice to keep someone from working, just because of an error in judgement that happened 30 years ago, jus' sayin'.

What kind of company did you work for those 16 years? It is unfair to hold and old conviction over someone's head! I mean, if you've paid your "debt to society" and stayed out of trouble for 5 or 10 years, there should be no issue as to whether or not to hire someone. Of course, there are some jobs that require you to have a clean record no matter what, like working at a bank, law enforcement, or with/around children (for the sex-crimes convictions).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

28 months ago

beginagainla in Bakersfield, California said: This was for a position where I would actually be visiting people's private and business properties. If I had a felony older than 7 years, I could have easily made it into this large company. As long as I answered no to the question on the application to not having any felony convictions, they weren't going to check beyond 7 years. I could have committed murder 10 years ago and gotten into this company. They only went back 3 years for my driver's license, so I could have had an atrocious record before that and they would've never known.

For the level of access I would have with the general public, the lack of depth of the criminal background check was surprising. That's why I say that there is hope for felons.

This was sales for ADP?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

beginagainla in Bakersfield, California

28 months ago

I just caught myself. Forgive me. I'm not sure now if it's correct to say ex-felon or felon when referring to someone with a felony conviction.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

beginagainla in Bakersfield, California

28 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: This was sales for ADP?

No, I didn't say what the position was. I didn't name the company either, but it is a major California public utility company. They used ADP Screening and Selection Services to conduct the employment background check. Yes, the people who process your payroll checks have a separate division doing background checks.

I have no problem naming ADP because they've outsourced the task of background checks to India, and they are not doing a thorough job. On top of that, I see people on Indeed stressing over these background checks and divulging 20-year old misdemeanors to companies using services like ADP. They are not going to discover a 20-year old misdemeanor unless you tell them. On top of that, get your $ together and get it expunged so you can legally answer no to the question of whether you have any convictions. Felonies are another story. But there's just no reason not to get a misdemeanor expunged.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

lseebeck in Tempe, Arizona

27 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Katrenniaholmes@yahoo.com in Coatesville, Pennsylvania

26 months ago

I"m having the same problem and my felony is fifteen years old and was the first and last time I was arrested......I own up to my part of the situation and still to this people still won't give us a chance

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Seeker

26 months ago

It is apparent that humanity has placed a higher standard than God on forgiveness. Jesus paid for it all, as He said, "Father forgive them for the know not what they do". Again Peter asked how many times should I forgive my brothers faults, reply from the Master was 7 times 70ty.

Forgiveness is only given in situations when those who have the capacity to forgive must remember that they too are forgiven daily for their faults and frailties. I have experienced this similar situation for over 26 years, and even after 22 years I petitioned the Florida govenor who said I was denied reprieve because I was not remorseful. What more can anyone after that period of time pay for? I am exhausted over this entire ordeal, but God is able....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jean in Anderson, Indiana

26 months ago

I have been applying for jobs for a year and I am still unemployed. Yesterday, I applied online for a job through a temporary agency. I called left a voice mail. And within an hour this woman calls and says do you realize where this job is..I said yes I have worked in this area before the job is only 45 minutes away from my house. She said Ok, well let's schedule an appointment. I said since your office is further away from the actual job. The job online said that they run a background check. So I asked what would disqualify me from this job. She said felonies I said I don't have any. She said misdemeanor will disqualify you depending on what it was..I advised her what it was and she said that they will not hire me because of it no matter how long ago it was and she said that a lot of their clients are the same way. She said it is a good thing you asked that question. She said you have all the qualification but they can't do anything for me. This is what I run into all the time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Familyof4 in Lakeland, Florida

25 months ago

We are also going through the same thing. My husband has 3 convictions of domestic assault from when he was 19 years old from verbal fights with his crazy family. He is now 30 has an education which has caused us thousands in debt. We have applied to luxury rentals to have a better place to raise our children, and he has applied to all major companies (Thomas Reuters, Carlson Companies, UnitedHealthGroup, Tek systems just to name a few) when we lived in Minnesota, each time they loved him had him go to a 2 day training and as soon as the background check came back they walked him out the door as if he was going to attack them. He has changed his life and is not a rude little punk. 10 years later we decided we needed to move because we have exhausted all options in Minnesota. We moved to FL because we had family close and we are running into the same problem. We are forced to live in a horrible school district because we can't get accepted to rent a nice house in a good school district even with my income, which isn't bad. We are denied constantly and this has started to destroy our credit. Now we are forced to live on one income, have tons of school debt, and can't have the income to support the debt we incurred thinking a degree would help in I.T. This country is a joke. We are good citizens, do our part, take pride in our work, raising kids, and trying to provide a better life for them and no one will give us a chance. How do they expect us to keep on the straight and narrow if they wont allow us to survive with rising costs? If they wont allow him to work then he should be able to apply for social security. We deserve to raise our family in a good community just like everyone else. It is bullsh*** that we are force to live like this. Now we can’t buy a house because of the school loans, can’t pay toward the schools because a company wont hire him and a $10.00/hr warehouse job doesn’t even cover daycare so what’s the point.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Familyof4 in Lakeland, Florida

25 months ago

not to mention his aren't even felonies. They are misdemeanors.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

25 months ago

Familyof4 in Lakeland, Florida said: He has changed his life and is not a rude little punk. 10 years later we decided we needed to move because we have exhausted all options in Minnesota. We moved to FL because we had family close and we are running into the same problem. We are forced to live in a horrible school district because we can't get accepted to rent a nice house in a good school district even with my income, which isn't bad. We are denied constantly and this has started to destroy our credit. Now we are forced to live on one income, have tons of school debt, and can't have the income to support the debt we incurred thinking a degree would help in I.T. This country is a joke. We are good citizens, do our part, take pride in our work, raising kids, and trying to provide a better life for them and no one will give us a chance. How do they expect us to keep on the straight and narrow if they wont allow us to survive with rising costs? If they wont allow him to work then he should be able to apply for social security. We deserve to raise our family in a good community just like everyone else. It is bullsh*** that we are force to live like this. Now we can’t buy a house because of the school loans, can’t pay toward the schools because a company wont hire him and a $10.00/hr warehouse job doesn’t even cover daycare so what’s the point.

Try for smaller, less tech savvy companies. Many don't run background checks or at least not extensive ones. Try networking to find a job.

I worked a temp assignment where one of the owners of the company wore an ankle bracelet. I know he was the owner but that company did not run a background check on me.

Remember Ted Bundy, John Wayne Gacy and Jeffrey Dahmer all had jobs. - old HR joke.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Tonya Knowles in Dallas, Georgia

25 months ago

Yes I agree I live in Georgia and I'm going through this. I have a non violent felony /bank robbery from 14 years ago. It has now been almost 8 years since I have had a job. My family is in so much debt now that we are about to lose the home home that we rent.Yes what I done was wrong I was 25 years old I made a mistake
but I'm now 40 years old and have a family to support.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dianegarcia in Long Beach, California

25 months ago

I feel that more people shall get involved because employers doing criminal background checks and then not hiring you because of felonies is totally contradicting. how is society participating in ones rehabilitation if opportunities for felons are not given, there is so many ex-cons out there that truly want to change their lifedtyles, and have started the process, wether they attend and are involved in NA or AA or church, or whatever it is that's helping, but the only thing missing is them being employed. and what of those that decide to pursue their education, get a degree and then still have to go through a criminal background check, I feel that if your not registered as a sex offender, or arson, then you should be able to get the job, period. background checks for possible employment should be checking for sex offenses or arson, that's it and that's all, any other type of felony should be discrimination if you don't get hired because of it. I would like to get involved with a petition to congress to change these laws regarding to criminal background checks for the possibility of employment. is anyone willing to take the time to teach me how to do just that? start a petition, gather signatures, and summit it to congress. what is the procedure? someone help please. thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

jherna in Denver, Colorado

25 months ago

Here's an online petition someone started on this forum www.change.org/petitions/congress-social-and-economic-re-entry

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

D-Nice in Goose Creek, South Carolina

25 months ago

myssunappreciated in Baton Rouge, Louisiana said: I am in Louisiana and the same thing is happening here to me. Have you tried anything to help yourself. I have tried everything. But nothing has changed. Without a job how can someone make changes if no one is willing to help. We have paid for our mistake can we just get past that. If there is anyone who know please pass the information on. Thanks a lot.

Go to your local one-top centers and sign up for the WIA-Program! Its free and they are their to help ones like us get a trade and or skill if needed to help us find job placement. Extra skills wont hurt, because I'm in the same boat here in Charleston, SC and jobs have turned me down left and right due to my felony record and sex charge back in 05 that was supposed to be a misdemeanor; but nonetheless it's a charge and part of my past that I'm not very proud of, but I'm not gonna give up. I have a Class A CDL license and I'm going to give it my all until someone says that they'll take the chance to hire me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Cheryl in Pooler, Georgia

25 months ago

Tonya Knowles in Dallas, Georgia said: Yes I agree I live in Georgia and I'm going through this. I have a non violent felony / bank robbery from 14 years ago. It has now been almost 8 years since I have had a job. My family is in so much debt now that we are about to lose the home home that we rent.Yes what I done was wrong I was 25 years old I made a mistake
but I'm now 40 years old and have a family to support.

Was wondering how you were doing? Have you gotten a job yet? My husband is kinda going through the same thing. Only he was never convicted of anything. He has had a few arrests because he and I were arguing. We lived in Florida when all this happened, we now live in Georgia. He cannot get a job, because of his background check. The police in Florida had made up lies on the police reports, such as my husband hit them with our front door. The police knocked on the door, my husband opened it and the officers immediately threw him to the ground, handcuffed him and took him off to jail. I was there, I saw what happened and he did not try to hit them with the door.

Another instance...My husband works out with swords. We had an argument and the police came out and my husband had the sword sitting next to him on the floor. They took him off to jail again for assault with a deadly weapon. He never assaulted or even tried to assault anyone. But again, it shows on his background check. and again he was never charged in court...case was closed.

I feel the times they took him to jail, should not show on his background check so that he cannot get a job. I also don't know how police officers can lie like that...Don't they know that they are not only hurting the person they took off to jail, but are hurting their families also? He has not been able to get a job now for three years...this is making it really hard on me...I have to be the money maker, working with a bad thyroid and bad heart. I wish there was something I could do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

25 months ago

Cheryl in Pooler, Georgia said: Another instance...My husband works out with swords. We had an argument and the police came out and my husband had the sword sitting next to him on the floor. They took him off to jail again for assault with a deadly weapon. He never assaulted or even tried to assault anyone. But again, it shows on his background check. and again he was never charged in court...case was closed.

I feel the times they took him to jail, should not show on his background check so that he cannot get a job. I also don't know how police officers can lie like that...Don't they know that they are not only hurting the person they took off to jail, but are hurting their families also? He has not been able to get a job now for three years...this is making it really hard on me...I have to be the money maker, working with a bad thyroid and bad heart. I wish there was something I could do.

I work in a sports arena and from time to time, we get the occasional fight or drunken brawl. Our security teams are told to first warn the offender(s) that they must leave or the police will be called.

If the police are called, they will go to jail and that will appear on a background check. Its amazing how fast they leave now when they hear that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Completely Broke and Broken in Cleveland, Ohio

25 months ago

Cheryl in Pooler, Georgia said: Was wondering how you were doing? Have you gotten a job yet? My husband is kinda going through the same thing. Only he was never convicted of anything. He has had a few arrests because he and I were arguing. We lived in Florida when all this happened, we now live in Georgia. He cannot get a job, because of his background check. The police in Florida had made up lies on the police reports, such as my husband hit them with our front door. The police knocked on the door, my husband opened it and the officers immediately threw him to the ground, handcuffed him and took him off to jail. I was there, I saw what happened and he did not try to hit them with the door.

Another instance...My husband works out with swords. We had an argument and the police came out and my husband had the sword sitting next to him on the floor. They took him off to jail again for assault with a deadly weapon. He never assaulted or even tried to assault anyone. But again, it shows on his background check. and again he was never charged in court...case was closed.

I feel the times they took him to jail, should not show on his background check so that he cannot get a job. I also don't know how police officers can lie like that...Don't they know that they are not only hurting the person they took off to jail, but are hurting their families also? He has not been able to get a job now for three years...this is making it really hard on me...I have to be the money maker, working with a bad thyroid and bad heart. I wish there was something I could do.

I know at least one homeless woman that cannot get a job, because of slander from the government (where she worked at one time) and naturally, some really shoddy, deceitful, police work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

AUWareagle2001 in Suwanee, Georgia

25 months ago

I would like to just comment generally. I have not read all the posts but several of them. I have 2 misdemeanor DUIs and they make out as a hardened criminal. It is not fair and have been discriminated by 4 companies so far since I have now been looking. I don't care if some of you non-criminals reading this disagrees. I did not steal, I did not commit murder, or committed any other crime, just 2 DUIs and I am made to feel like I am a murderer. Can our political heroes do anything about this? I know some of you on here have petty misdemeanor crimes and something needs to be done about it. What if you have improved your life? I am more than qualified to do many of the positions I have been searching for(mainly in sales). I am going to call my senator's office and my state governor's office and I am going to write them a note as well listing the companies that have discriminated against me. It is not fair.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bridgetb1011 in Johnstown, Ohio

25 months ago

My situation by many of my friends and family is considered unfortunate. I have had such trouble finding a job because of something happened two years ago in a different state. In a month I will be going to school in a month for the next three years and I'm terrified I won't be able to get a job 5 years after my conviction to be be able to provide for my family. Because where I got convicted at there is no chance of expungement or anything unless I go through to the President or the governor... It sucks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cheryl in Pooler, Georgia

25 months ago

I have tried contacting the president twice for my husband...with no response. My husband has no felonies or convictions...just police reports which some of them are false statements from the police department. If you start a petition, please let me know at tnc4304@aol.com...I will definitely sign it! I am tired of them making him out to be a criminal when he did nothing wrong. The police dept where we lived just didn't like him!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

AUWareagle2001 in Suwanee, Georgia

25 months ago

Bridgetb1011 and Cheryl in Georgia. Hang in there is all I can say as that is what I am doing. I am very disappointed in the fact that the government has not gotten involved with how each employer conducts background checks. I am not a hardened criminal, I am made out to be one because of my two misdemeanor DUIs. I am doing all the research I can do and hopefully I can find something that will make me feel a little better. I am very early in my research. I believe if you are not going for a position where you have to drive for your job, why would it matter if you got a DUI or not? I may start complaining to the EEOC if I get turned down again by an employer. How can we get a petition to work? I would want to make sure it would benefit everyone. If anyone wants to email and discuss anything please do so at vriccardi@msn.com.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

i need a job

24 months ago

I am going through the same thing I have a 11year old daughter that I have to support and because of my background I can't seem to get a job I'm done turned my life around and I want to move forward with my life I'm willing to sign this petition

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Fake_Name in Chicago, Illinois

24 months ago

Well reading all this pretty much seals my deal. I was arrested in March 2013 for something that happened January 2012. Charges are a C and 2 D Felonies. The attorney and prosecutor are working out a deal. Here is the twist. I'm from Canada, here on a greencard. Any aggravated Felony will get me deported. Attorney says that the prosecutor is sensitive to that and they are trying to narrow things down so that it won't be aggravated. Looks like being deported to Canada would be a good thing since I won't be able to find work here. Did I mention I'm in IT? Non violent, non drug related, not theft. Don't see a reason I'm not hire-able in an IT shop. I just don't know if Canadian companies will run background checks that include US stuff or if it will be Canada only. Otherwise in same boat, about to lose house, cars, etc etc. 10/hr fast food jobs here i come i guess....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Fake_Name in Chicago, Illinois

24 months ago

Fake_Name in Chicago, Illinois said: Well reading all this pretty much seals my deal. I was arrested in March 2013 for something that happened January 2012. Charges are a C and 2 D Felonies. The attorney and prosecutor are working out a deal. Here is the twist. I'm from Canada, here on a greencard. Any aggravated Felony will get me deported. Attorney says that the prosecutor is sensitive to that and they are trying to narrow things down so that it won't be aggravated. Looks like being deported to Canada would be a good thing since I won't be able to find work here. Did I mention I'm in IT? Non violent, non drug related, not theft. Don't see a reason I'm not hire-able in an IT shop. I just don't know if Canadian companies will run background checks that include US stuff or if it will be Canada only. Otherwise in same boat, about to lose house, cars, etc etc. 10/hr fast food jobs here i come i guess....

Had offers rescinded, 1st one they said the State lost funding for the position (a few days before start date, yeah right). Then the next flat out said because of background. Which I don't get because these contracting companies lose out on money if they (company A) rescinds and company B wins because their candidate was next in line.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

crystal J in Highland, California

24 months ago

IVETTE said: HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE DONE SOMETHING THE PAST AND PAID FOR IT NOW??? WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT IS SOME PEOPLE HAVE COMMITED SOME KIND OF FELONY OR MISTOMEANOR AND NO ONE IS WILLING TO GIVE US A CHANCE THEN SOCIETY WONDERS WHY THERE IS SO MANY PEOPLE COMMITING CRIMES OUT THERE..HELLO IF SOCIETY DOESN'T GIVE YOU A SECOND CHANCE HOW IS IT THAT WE ARE GOING TO PROVE OURSELVES THAT WE WANT TO TURN OVER A NEW LEAF IT'S LIKE "YOU HAVE A CRIMINAL BACKGROUND SO THERE FOR NOT INTIALED TO HAVE A JOB"? I MEAN COME ON THAT SHOULD BE ILLEGAL.. GRANT IT THEY SHOULD SE WHAT KIND OF OFFENSE YOU HAVE COMMITTED AND THE JOB YOU ARE APPLYING FOR... IF ANY ONE OUT THERE IS GOING THROUGH THIS PLEASE LET ME KNOW I'M PLANNING TO START A PETITION TO CONGRESS TO GET SOME KIND OF HELP FROM THE STATE TO PROTECT AGAINST THIS KIND OF DISCRIMINATION .............

I am going through the same thing, I mean everybody makes mistakes but they don't seem to care I have to kids to care for and nobody won't give me a chances its not like I have a felony. I just got a job back and June and I told them what my record was but when my background came back I went to work and got fired. I was the hardest worker out there taking the bus at 4am everyday and still got fired. I need help because I don't have the money to pay my restitution so that I can get my record closed, I feel that we have the bad end of the stick.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sean W in Pomona, California

23 months ago

Dave in Duluth, Minnesota said: There needs to be new laws created in all states that limit employers as to how far they can dig back in to somebody's past. If someone has been clear of legal problems for 7 or 10 years they should have the opportunity to work anywhere. Most of these background screening companies don't know their asses from a hole in the ground. I pled guilty to an assault charge 6 years ago for a physical altercation with two people. 2 people against me should have told the story to the proscecuter. I was jumped and punched in my face and on the back of my head nearly 40 times. I threw a single punch and fractured a man's face. Evidently that makes me the criminal. I was granted a stay of imposition and my crime was reduced to a misdemeanor. I challenge anybody reading this to find a single employee either working for a background screening company or a human resource department who knows what a stay of imposition is, you will not be able to. These idiot law makers need to realize that this issue is the number one cause for increasing crime rates. If a person is rendered unemployable, they are going to look for other ways to make money. Employers are discriminating against everyone with a criminal record these days and this is greatly affecting the economy. To eliminate such a high percentage of talent from our work force is ludicrous.

In the same situations. I have PC470D, listed as a wobbler, most employers do not know what that means plus I have an expugement PC 1203.4. I cannot get a job with a masters degree and years of experience. I had never been in trouble before 2006 and have not been since 2006. This world has set up a class system using "records" to legally discriminate against folks. Your whole life is scraped and one moment determines who you are. A lifetime does not matter, your are a felon for life. If it were not for my mother and sister, I would blow my brains out. I feel so empty and hopeless.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sean W in Pomona, California

23 months ago

Sean W in Pomona, California said: In the same situations. I have PC470D, listed as a wobbler, most employers do not know what that means plus I have an expugement PC 1203.4. I cannot get a job with a masters degree and years of experience. I had never been in trouble before 2006 and have not been since 2006. This world has set up a class system using "records" to legally discriminate against folks. Your whole life is scraped and one moment determines who you are. A lifetime does not matter, your are a felon for life. If it were not for my mother and sister, I would blow my brains out. I feel so empty and hopeless.

PC 470d A Wobbler is a crime that can be charged either as a Misdemeanor or a Felony. The District Attorney’s office will decide whether a person is charged with a felony or misdemeanor depending on the specific circumstances of each case. I was given a felony but did no jail time. I was actually given the sentence of a misdemeanor charge. My felony was later reduced and expunged but every job I apply for goes by the original sentencing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Hemendra Jani in Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania

23 months ago

IVETTE said: HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE DONE SOMETHING THE PAST AND PAID FOR IT NOW??? WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT IS SOME PEOPLE HAVE COMMITED SOME KIND OF FELONY OR MISTOMEANOR AND NO ONE IS WILLING TO GIVE US A CHANCE THEN SOCIETY WONDERS WHY THERE IS SO MANY PEOPLE COMMITING CRIMES OUT THERE..HELLO IF SOCIETY DOESN'T GIVE YOU A SECOND CHANCE HOW IS IT THAT WE ARE GOING TO PROVE OURSELVES THAT WE WANT TO TURN OVER A NEW LEAF IT'S LIKE "YOU HAVE A CRIMINAL BACKGROUND SO THERE FOR NOT INTIALED TO HAVE A JOB"? I MEAN COME ON THAT SHOULD BE ILLEGAL.. GRANT IT THEY SHOULD SE WHAT KIND OF OFFENSE YOU HAVE COMMITTED AND THE JOB YOU ARE APPLYING FOR... IF ANY ONE OUT THERE IS GOING THROUGH THIS PLEASE LET ME KNOW I'M PLANNING TO START A PETITION TO CONGRESS TO GET SOME KIND OF HELP FROM THE STATE TO PROTECT AGAINST THIS KIND OF DISCRIMINATION .............

How did this go for you did you get lots of reponses to your initiative for 2nd chance....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Hemendra Jani in Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania

23 months ago

Hi how did it go for you? Did you get many responses in support of your cause how did the politicians responded? Did you contact the office of attorney general of Department of Justice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Denise Brown in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

23 months ago

I made an mistake over fifteen years ago and I'm still paying for it today ...My criminal Background allows me to work with the elderly people but the jobs will not hire me because of my felony ....My felony is an drug case which I plead not guilty but the courts found me guilty so I received 6 months of non reporting probation .So what ever petition your going to start please let me know cause you got my signature

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Denise Brown in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

23 months ago

I made an mistake over fifteen years ago and haven't been in trouble since I went to school to receive my certification as an Certified Nursing Assistant and now I can't even put that to use because NO ONE WILL HIRE ME DUE TO A FELONY that I received fifteen years ago...I'm still paying for it today ...My criminal Background allows me to work with the elderly people but the jobs will not hire me because of my felony ....My felony is a drug case which I plead not guilty but the courts found me guilty so I received 6 months of non reporting probation .So what ever petition your going to start please let me know cause you got my signature

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

djldhd@yahoo.com in East Hartford, Connecticut

23 months ago

Carrollbrat said: Hi1 I have just read what you wrote and would like to talk to you about the petition and get involved I am a felon with 9 years and trying to find a job and have wrote to congress but of course NO HELP. Pls. get back to me ASAP.

The federal goverment and state goverment increase hard working citizens taxes to pay the deficit but give corporate tax credits to company's. It's unfortunate the tax payer's have to pay for me to be on state medicare and goverment food stamps because employers won't hire me for my driving under the influence 2nd offense, which is a felony, in my state. It it occured nine years ago. I think the goverment should fine or increase corporate taxes because they are not willing to put a critia of 7 years or more on criminal convictions. How can we let the tax payer's know this is going on?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

smithhouse2006@yahoo.com in Spartanburg, South Carolina

23 months ago

IVETTE said: HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE DONE SOMETHING THE PAST AND PAID FOR IT NOW??? WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT IS SOME PEOPLE HAVE COMMITED SOME KIND OF FELONY OR MISTOMEANOR AND NO ONE IS WILLING TO GIVE US A CHANCE THEN SOCIETY WONDERS WHY THERE IS SO MANY PEOPLE COMMITING CRIMES OUT THERE..HELLO IF SOCIETY DOESN'T GIVE YOU A SECOND CHANCE HOW IS IT THAT WE ARE GOING TO PROVE OURSELVES THAT WE WANT TO TURN OVER A NEW LEAF IT'S LIKE "YOU HAVE A CRIMINAL BACKGROUND SO THERE FOR NOT INTIALED TO HAVE A JOB"? I MEAN COME ON THAT SHOULD BE ILLEGAL.. GRANT IT THEY SHOULD SE WHAT KIND OF OFFENSE YOU HAVE COMMITTED AND THE JOB YOU ARE APPLYING FOR... IF ANY ONE OUT THERE IS GOING THROUGH THIS PLEASE LET ME KNOW I'M PLANNING TO START A PETITION TO CONGRESS TO GET SOME KIND OF HELP FROM THE STATE TO PROTECT AGAINST THIS KIND OF DISCRIMINATION .............

get am pardonship that how you get to where you need to go

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

smithhouse2006@yahoo.com in Spartanburg, South Carolina

23 months ago

stop worry about that is in the past and think about what you need to do now? get an pardonship and go on with your life. than you can get the job you want ok. take care. William

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tricia D in Erie, Pennsylvania

22 months ago

Charlie ~ I understand your thinking because I've dealt with people who think like you for the past thirteen years. I withdrew money from my bank account to pay for an operation to save my father's life. The deposit to my account was an error, I knew it. I just wanted my father to live. I was caught, convicted, plead guilty, spent time in jail and received sixty-seven (67) years on probation. I'm doing what I have to do to follow guidelines and live a better life. However, I can't get a job to pay back my restitution. I'm already paying for what I did, but society is continuing to make me pay by holding this against me. Since I can't get a job, I'm applying for food stamps and a welfare check today. This is a redundant cycle. Taxpayers will absorb the cost. I haven't been in trouble for 13 years, this was my one and only crime. 79% of the employees out there steal from their employer... they just don't have a record. Your point of view is easy to deliver when you aren't directly affected by it. People do make mistakes and not giving us a second chance will only fall back on you in the end.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

david segal in Lunenburg, Massachusetts

22 months ago

Adecco is missing a lost opportunity.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dave in Duluth, Minnesota

22 months ago

Do not have any illusions. It doesn't matter how well written our cover letters are or how impressive our resumes look. It doesn't matter how well we present ourselves, sell our experience and qualifications, or show employers how much we have changed and grown. Criminal convictions for certain crimes will take precedence over everything else in the eyes of employers,regardless of how long ago these crimes or convictions occurred. There are no second chances for us as society has condemned us for life. The cities, counties, states and government can believe what they want to believe. Employers have the legal right to discriminate against us, and they will continue to do so. There is no hope and there is nothing to be positive about. It is amusing to me how the government urges employers to give us a second chance. Try to apply for a job with the government. LOL! What a bunch of hypocrites! The same thing can be said about the EEOC. The EEOC is continually suing large corporations for background check discrimination. LOL! Try to apply for a job with the EEOC with a criminal conviction. All of these organizations which are supposed to be helping people with criminal backgrounds find employment, wouldn't even contact us for an interview themselves. I live in the soon to be "Ban the Box" state of MN. "Ban the Box" will not help us. Ultimately employers still have the right to discriminate against us. Ask yourselves this. Will we be better off going to job interviews and multiple job interviews only to be discriminated against in the end? I don't think so. I think it will make things much worse for us. And for the record, I never committed the crime that I am convicted of. I was protecting myself from two individuals who were attacking me. A man was injured, and I ended up being charged with felony assault, and eventually convicted of misdemeanor assault. Try finding a job ANYWHERE these days with an assault conviction.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

criminal in Lansing, Illinois

22 months ago

IVETTE said: HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE DONE SOMETHING THE PAST AND PAID FOR IT NOW??? WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT IS SOME PEOPLE HAVE COMMITED SOME KIND OF FELONY OR MISTOMEANOR AND NO ONE IS WILLING TO GIVE US A CHANCE THEN SOCIETY WONDERS WHY THERE IS SO MANY PEOPLE COMMITING CRIMES OUT THERE..HELLO IF SOCIETY DOESN'T GIVE YOU A SECOND CHANCE HOW IS IT THAT WE ARE GOING TO PROVE OURSELVES THAT WE WANT TO TURN OVER A NEW LEAF IT'S LIKE "YOU HAVE A CRIMINAL BACKGROUND SO THERE FOR NOT INTIALED TO HAVE A JOB"? I MEAN COME ON THAT SHOULD BE ILLEGAL.. GRANT IT THEY SHOULD SE WHAT KIND OF OFFENSE YOU HAVE COMMITTED AND THE JOB YOU ARE APPLYING FOR... IF ANY ONE OUT THERE IS GOING THROUGH THIS PLEASE LET ME KNOW I'M PLANNING TO START A PETITION TO CONGRESS TO GET SOME KIND OF HELP FROM THE STATE TO PROTECT AGAINST THIS KIND OF DISCRIMINATION .............
I have a conviction for disorderly conduct from 1997 and I can't get a job because of it. My work history is and has been solid for 15 years after I lost my job due to layoff it is impossible to find another due to my very serious criminal history I have been denied 2 jobs because of my criminal history and since its pretty obvious I may never be able to work again because of my very serious criminal history lol ! what it really boils down to is if I cant earn a legal source of income I really dont see any other alternative but to break the law to put food on the table and its all over the fact is anybody with a criminal history in this country cant have a job and the idiots in politics cant understand why so much crime happens in this country and I have little to no chance of working with the most petty of misdemeanors obviously a convicted felon has no choice but to continue serious crime to provide for themselves snd their families

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dannio in Toronto, Ontario

22 months ago

Carrollbrat said: Hi1 I have just read what you wrote and would like to talk to you about the petition and get involved I am a felon with 9 years and trying to find a job and have wrote to congress but of course NO HELP. Pls. get back to me ASAP.

It's a game that the Govt. Plays it is designed for you to get frutrated. and reoffend. Think about it! if no one commited crimes the justice system would be out of buisness.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dianegarcia in Long Beach, California

22 months ago

carollbrat I say lets write this petition and start getting some signatures ASAP and make some changes, lets get started, you can start it of, I will do the same and we take it from there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dave in Duluth, Minnesota

22 months ago

Sean W in Pomona, California said: In the same situations. I have PC470D, listed as a wobbler, most employers do not know what that means plus I have an expugement PC 1203.4. I cannot get a job with a masters degree and years of experience. I had never been in trouble before 2006 and have not been since 2006. This world has set up a class system using "records" to legally discriminate against folks. Your whole life is scraped and one moment determines who you are. A lifetime does not matter, your are a felon for life. If it were not for my mother and sister, I would blow my brains out. I feel so empty and hopeless.

Actually you are in a much better predicament than I am. It is illegal for employers to discriminate against you because of an expunged record. You definitely have a lawsuit. Contact a law firm which handles employer discrimination. In addition, contact the EEOC if you are a homosexual, a female or a minority. The EEOC lives for this type of case as long as you meet their criteria. If you are a Caucasian male, do not waste your time with the EEOC. When I accepted my plea bargain, I was told by my attorney and my probation officer that after I had successfully completed probation, which I did, that future potential employers would not be able to interpret that I was ever charged with or convicted of a felony. In addition to LYING to me, they also failed to inform me that by entering a plea of guilty, (an admission of guilt), that I would not be able to have the conviction expunged. I would have been MUCH better off by taking my case to jury trial, losing, and then being sentenced to prison. My prison sentence would have been long expired and I would be eligible for expungement by now. It's time that we all ban together and try to end this discrimination.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

AUWareagle2001 in Suwanee, Georgia

22 months ago

Employers screw you over even if you have a misdeameanor. I am outraged and no one seems to want to do anything about it. These cops out here are giving out DUIs left and right and that has nothing to do with your work ethic with your job. I can understand not employing because of stealing, fraud or a felony. Employers are not concerned about if you have rehabilitated yourself. Who is with me in changing how certain employers discriminate? Some people do not think it is discrimination but it really is. There is no advocacy for white males in this country and I do not like that. There is no advocacy groups to my knowledge for people that have convictions of any thing. Email vriccardi@msn.com), money is tight but have good ideas to get something going.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

emi-nc in Concord, North Carolina

22 months ago

I wish someone knew how to do this petition, this thread was started 72 months ago; but I guess there would have to be one for every state (?not sure how that works). I know employers can do national and state background checks. Some of the posts refer to how far back the check can go; well here in NC, there is no limit. Anyone can do an online background check (for a fee) and unless you were under 17 when you were convicted, this is on your record forever. I have 2 misdemeanors from age 17 and 18, more than 20 years ago. I am one of the lucky ones who got a job before the internet made background checks available within seconds; but I cannot even get an interview with another company now. Here are some of the issues (in NC at least- I wonder if some other states are the same way?):

-No interview for you: Applications ask if you have ever been convicted of a crime. You have to answer honestly; at that point, your application can be trashed and you won't even know.

-Age discrimination: Applications ask for conviction dates. It's illegal for them to ask your age, but this question makes it easy to figure out.

-Judgment forever: Doesn't matter if it's been a quarter of a century; doesn't matter if the crime was non-violent; doesn't matter that you were young and science has proven the human brain is not fully formed until an adult is in their mid-20's.

-Expungement: Not possible in most cases.

The punishments are not fitting the crimes here. The fact is, people do stupid stuff; they pay for it; they learn from it; if there is remorse and they have not continued to do crimes, then it should have no bearing on them getting the jobs they need to support their family (thus enabling them to "stay clean").

Are there any attorneys out there who can start petitions for us? It would draw in a lot of business to a law firm if some of these laws were overhauled, at least the expungement laws.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

bkmurdoch in Boise, Idaho

22 months ago

Charlie in Warrenville, South Carolina said: The mistake you are both making is in assumng that the particular crimes committed have that much to do with the job or the company. What I was saying before about "not even a nurse" was mean to indicate that if you screwed up something so badly that you had to be fired or something, then you wouldn't expect to get back in a similar position.

As example, if the boss fired you at a restaurant for sneezing in someone's food , then you'd likely never work around food again even if there was no arrest.

If you sneeze on all of society by committing a felony then you are not likely to ever again get a decent job in that society. Your choice to do crime isolated you from normal society forever.

As for housing , if you had a bankruptcy, the same thing would happen when trying to rent a commercial apartment . It isn't a matter of the act, it is a matter of the record of past misbehavior. It works the same way as a credit report. You miss payments, you are not extended further credit. You have a criminal record, you are not trusted to live amongst normal people who pay their rent on time and have never been tempted to take things from their neighbors.

Didn't you ever wonder why there has to be gated communities? It is to keep undesirables off the property. Go to prison and you are behind bars. When you get out, the bars are around us in essence. Many of us wish you all had to stay in prison for the rest of your lives for committing felonies but we just can't afford to do that - yet. That is not a new idea either. There were once islands for folks like you.

If you sneeze on all of society by committing a felony then you are not likely to ever again get a decent jo in that society. Your choice to do crime isolated you from society forever.

Dont judge me becouse I sin differently than you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Konvict in Fort Worth, Texas

21 months ago

Charlie in Warrenville, South Carolina said: The mistake you are both making is in assumng that the particular crimes committed have that much to do with the job or the company. What I was saying before about "not even a nurse" was mean to indicate that if you screwed up something so badly that you had to be fired or something, then you wouldn't expect to get back in a similar position.

As example, if the boss fired you at a restaurant for sneezing in someone's food , then you'd likely never work around food again even if there was no arrest.

If you sneeze on all of society by committing a felony then you are not likely to ever again get a decent job in that society. Your choice to do crime isolated you from normal society forever.

As for housing , if you had a bankruptcy, the same thing would happen when trying to rent a commercial apartment . It isn't a matter of the act, it is a matter of the record of past misbehavior. It works the same way as a credit report. You miss payments, you are not extended further credit. You have a criminal record, you are not trusted to live amongst normal people who pay their rent on time and have never been tempted to take things from their neighbors.

Didn't you ever wonder why there has to be gated communities? It is to keep undesirables off the property. Go to prison and you are behind bars. When you get out, the bars are around us in essence. Many of us wish you all had to stay in prison for the rest of your lives for committing felonies but we just can't afford to do that - yet. That is not a new idea either. There were once islands for folks like you.

If you sneeze on all of society by committing a felony then you are not likely to ever again get a decent jo in that society. Your choice to do crime isolated you from society forever.

DIE SLOW

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Chula Vista, California

20 months ago

I know how frustrating this situation of having a criminal background is. I did time in federal prison for a drug offense. As some users in this forum state, "I was hired then fired" I completely understand that feeling. I've been hired dozens of times offered a competitive salary; but what good does make dreaming of an opportunity success that will be cut short in matter of days? Prior to going to prison I was working in the IT field. Now because of my record I work in retail at minimum wage. We all have to accept the fact that we made a mistake and therefore there are repercussions that affect us in every way. If it takes you a million applications to be given an opportunity, fill those million applications or do freelance work...

Now matter how many petitions we send to congress/president or how many signatures we collect...I'm optimistic that we'll see a change in our life time. Offenders with a state felony or misdemeanor have an opportunity of expungement or felony reduction...where as a Federal Felony, there is no such thing other than applying for a presidential pardon, which is rare, unless we donate tirelessly to the presidential campaign...

Lets stay strong, keep trying as many times it takes to get a job... Just dont go back to do what will land you in trouble...

And for the young, If you cant handle the time/or repercussions the a criminal background will bring in the future... DONT COMMIT THE CRIME...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Warren in League City, Texas

19 months ago

If you sneeze on all of society by committing a felony then you are not likely to ever again get a descent job in that society. Your choice to do crime isolated you from society forever.
You sir are a very closed minded and arrogant individual. I got a felony and am completely reformed. People do make mistakes you prick! The fact that you where never caught doing something stupid is the only thing that is giving you the open door to gloat and put another person down. Some things considered felonies are actually laughable. Marijuana is legal in some states while in others it is a felony. I can understand a violent crime being criticized, but for someone to never have a normal life again for smoking pot is ridiculous. Drug tests are there for that reason. There are many people that you come across on a daily basis that have felonies, but one would never be able to tell. God has a special warm place for you sir. I have been clean by choice to be a good person, and to be able to have a 2nd chance at being a contributing member of society. Not to drain your tax money. I believe that a select few should have the opportunity of a second chance. Many end up going back to doing crime because they can't legally find income or the opportunity to be a normal member of society. For many, relapse is inevitable because of pompous individuals like yourself. You are the reason that crime is going to continue unfortunately, and your tax money will be tied up in individuals who never got the second chance in your perfect society.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

RobinMosley in Mobile, Alabama

18 months ago

I was falsely imprisoned on felony charges, which were dropped and pled out to 4 dinky misdemeanors I did not do all involving my ex who is a proven perjurer. No one will keep me I was hired 3 places. Thew few rightist businesses like men warehouse are agorist and dont do background checks and as a result have less loss prevention problems and criminality int heir org and corruption by far its because they give people chances who are grateful and hire actual qualified screwed over people. One its these criminal background ground jks who steal what should be private info that is sold to them by corrupt gov orgs. For profit on both their parts. Its also records not automatically being sealed. Its cruel and unusual punishment aided by the gov to create and underclass to build and grow and maintain the criminal-prison industrial complex that makes so much money for these leftist jks. They want everyone on drugs on work release to complete the cycle over and over. Fact is most people are innocent in the case brought before the corrupt violate your fair trial and magna carta rights and the drug dealing cops, the coke headed DA, and child mol judges are all in on it. Combine with that the tort industry of corrupt lawyers and law that hold employers responsible for stuff they arent responsible it provides a stick and carrot atmosphere that fosters creating this underclass of slaves and downtrodden walking dead who get ebt cards to buy their stuff...funny they wont let you have a job at Winn-Dixie or say MickeyDs but they will take your money what little you got and lobby for more welfare and also use current felons in prison as work release considering the massive doubled up on tax subsidies the slave wages they pay the inmates and then after they benefit enormously off those 2 things the gov picks up the legal liability card so they have nothing to worry about.....this problem all comes from Gov the haves against the havenots, the falsely "convicted"lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.