CRIMINAL BACKGROUND DISCRIMINATION

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 257)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

outofworkfelon2 in cheyenne, Wyoming

24 months ago

i have 11 felonies and a consensual sex with a minor conviction from when i was 18 and now im gonna be 33 and ive not gotten a new conviction for 5 years. nobody will hire me not even taco bell. i have to find remodel work under the table. its crap. they made me register as a sex offender here in wyoming even tho the convicting state of california didnt require it. ive lost 2 jobs been harassed threatened and denied every type of assistance i have ever applied for even food stamps1

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dave in Duluth, Minnesota

23 months ago

There needs to be new laws created in all states that limit employers as to how far they can dig back in to somebody's past. If someone has been clear of legal problems for 7 or 10 years they should have the opportunity to work anywhere. Most of these background screening companies don't know their asses from a hole in the ground. I pled guilty to an assault charge 6 years ago for a physical altercation with two people. 2 people against me should have told the story to the proscecuter. I was jumped and punched in my face and on the back of my head nearly 40 times. I threw a single punch and fractured a man's face. Evidently that makes me the criminal. I was granted a stay of imposition and my crime was reduced to a misdemeanor. I challenge anybody reading this to find a single employee either working for a background screening company or a human resource department who knows what a stay of imposition is, you will not be able to. These idiot law makers need to realize that this issue is the number one cause for increasing crime rates. If a person is rendered unemployable, they are going to look for other ways to make money. Employers are discriminating against everyone with a criminal record these days and this is greatly affecting the economy. To eliminate such a high percentage of talent from our work force is ludicrous.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

San Francisco UA in Oakland, California

23 months ago

outofworkfelon2 in cheyenne, Wyoming said: i have 11 felonies and a consensual sex with a minor conviction from when i was 18 and now im gonna be 33 and ive not gotten a new conviction for 5 years. nobody will hire me not even taco bell. i have to find remodel work under the table. its crap. they made me register as a sex offender here in wyoming even tho the convicting state of california didnt require it. ive lost 2 jobs been harassed threatened and denied every type of assistance i have ever applied for even food stamps1

I feel for you man! One of my best friends (in Pennsylvania) got convicted of rape when he was 18, served 10 years in state prison. COULD NOT get hired by anyone, got into selling drugs and now is back in prison for another 5 years. I feel for the guy...he was frustrated he couldn't get hired, he was depressed even talked about suicide - I flew him out here to California - once to the Bay Area, once to San Diego -- to get him to relax, and try to get his mind on the right track. Unfortunately he got back in with the wrong crowd in Pittsburgh - his face was even on the TV news (Crap! That was embarrasing) for violating his sex-offender registry requirements. Too make a long story short -- his frustration at not having a job and needing to pay rent, food and car expenses let him to prison again. Best of luck to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

San Francisco UA in Oakland, California

23 months ago

fyrestorm319@gmail.com in Midland, Texas said: Wow, I was beginning to think I was imagining things until I started reading some of the posts on here! My story is similar to many -- I have a felony conviction that happened 30 years ago, have had a clean record ever since, been employed steadily. The last company I worked for (for 16 years) unexpectedly went out of business in June of 2011, and I have been looking for work ever since. Despite dozens of applications, 35+ years experience as an electronics technician, and holding a Bachelors Degree, I can't even land a job stocking shelves at Walmart. I thought maybe it was age discrimination (I'm 58), but just this past Friday I got a rude awakening when an employment agency told me to my face that they couldn't source me to any of their clients due to the conviction in my background. Now I'm thinking that was probably a factor in many if not most of my previous rejections. I've just contacted EEOC about this, but I don't know if they will be any help. It's definitely not a fair practice to keep someone from working, just because of an error in judgement that happened 30 years ago, jus' sayin'.

What kind of company did you work for those 16 years? It is unfair to hold and old conviction over someone's head! I mean, if you've paid your "debt to society" and stayed out of trouble for 5 or 10 years, there should be no issue as to whether or not to hire someone. Of course, there are some jobs that require you to have a clean record no matter what, like working at a bank, law enforcement, or with/around children (for the sex-crimes convictions).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

_db_ in Huntsville, Texas

23 months ago

Folks gotta remember that the bypass loophole of omitting convictions/arrests and they find you in omission, the employer may bar you from any and all future oppurtunity. i also know of companies in private sector that don't even ask to run a background check and they just run one against your knowledge / consent ! highly unethical, but nothing to be done about it, we (us with a past) are considered by many to be stains on moral societies fabric.

not to rate/judge but alot of the bigoted sarcastic wry well-I-never-woulda, but shoulda coulda woulda there are multitudes of reasons why people have any type of convictions some of the more upsetting ones:

- shoddy legal representation (public defendants)
- coerced into false confessions (fall guys)- wrongful arrest
- unsubstantial punishment / harsh charge
- hot checks
- victim of circumstance

Believe it or not some people never get arrested their entire lives, that does not make them more just. history has both taught us that people WITHOUT criminal histories are capable of insanely selfish and henious acts! (sandy hook and Batman Opening)
that GOOD OL BOYS can really be jerks too (OKLAHOMA CITY)

WAR IS PEACE
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

kd052158@gmail.com in Summerville, South Carolina

23 months ago

Charlie in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: Oh yeah. God forbid anyone disagree with an ex-felon! What was I thinking?

As for making decisions in my life it is my life isn't it? At my age I won't be on the planet that much longer so I really don't care. If it even turned back into the wild West with everyone wearing a side arm I would be long gone.

I will, however, express my point of view and I do believe there is a bit of history to support it.

Those who ignore history are destined to repeat it.

In the words of the great Senor Citason:

Los criminales deben ser dados una botella del bebe y ser sentados en una esquina para el resto de sus vidas.

Screw you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

23 months ago

Charlie in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: Oh yeah. God forbid anyone disagree with an ex-felon! What was I thinking?

As for making decisions in my life it is my life isn't it? At my age I won't be on the planet that much longer so I really don't care. If it even turned back into the wild West with everyone wearing a side arm I would be long gone.

I will, however, express my point of view and I do believe there is a bit of history to support it.

Those who ignore history are destined to repeat it.

In the words of the great Senor Citason:

Los criminales deben ser dados una botella del bebe y ser sentados en una esquina para el resto de sus vidas.

So Einstein, you've never made a mistake in your life, right?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

23 months ago

So Einstein, you've never made a mistake in your life, right?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

hiswillis12 in Howell, Michigan

23 months ago

so upset my boyfriends was lined up for this job and the bosses all liked him, then they got something on his background check from 1998 and said he didnt get the job. he has papers to get it taken off. is there any thing that can help him get a job. how are people supposed to give to the community if he cant even get a job so we can have a roof over our heads.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

23 months ago

People are so ignorant. I suppose that they think that NO ONE is able to change..even after 20 years. I had someone tell me that anything on your background is a "life sentence". All I can say is " People with glass houses should not throw stones!"

hiswillis12 in Howell, Michigan

23 months ago

kd052158@gmail.com in Summerville, South Carolina said: People are so ignorant. I suppose that they think that NO ONE is able to change..even after 20 years. I had someone tell me that anything on your background is a "life sentence". All I can say is " People with glass houses should not throw stones!"

the guy told my boyfriend if it was up to me i would hire you but its not, now we both are outta work living in a truck trying to find away to get him a job. Its the same way with my dad is is a habitual felon he cant work and he is good with his hands. I agree people with glass houses should not throw stones

23 months ago

All I can say is that people that treat other people that way will not get away with it in the long run. I sure hope that the employers critisizing and denying people jobs who OBVIOUSLY are not the same person as they were, will GO TO HELL! I believe in Karma. Those people who think that they are holier than thou make me sick.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JohnO.C in Ireland

22 months ago

Hey all from Ireland,

It saddens me to read some of your stories on here but also gives me great satisfaction to see the strength of character ye possess. It gives me hope that the once great United States will begin to rise again and support people's freedoms and the ideals that people can fail sometimes but can be reborn.
I have a story similar to all of your stories. I have a conviction from when I was 18 years of age. A minor conviction. It is 14 years ago and since then I have completed university up to Masters standard. I was the top student in my degree course and won many national accounting and economic student awards. However I lost my job during the latest recession and everywhere I turn now I am facing background checks. These have become popular through the US multinationals and businesses that operate here now. I am at the top of my field in my country and was offered a tutoring position in my previous university. I turned this down but unfortunately two years later was made unemployed. No company will now hire me due to the background checks which the US have made popular here. One mistake in my past and I am crucified forever. I feel saddened that the great country of the USA and the great ideals that country instilled in the people of Europe is now been destroyed by short-sighted people at the top.
I wish ye the best in ye're quest for acceptance and I can only add that I would always find your strength in what ye are dealing with as an asset to any company. Best wishes from Ireland.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

jfdmjd2013 in Liverpool, New York

22 months ago

MRS"CAROLYN in Tampa, Florida said: HI" ALOT OF PEOPLE HAVE BEEN TALKING ABOUT GETTING A PETITION STARTED. I BELIEVE THA THE STAUTORY OF LIMITS IS SEVEN YEARS BUT SEEMS TOO BE HELD LIFE TIME SO LET'S DO JUST THAT. STAY IN TOUCH ALSO LOOK OUT FOR FOLLOW OF PETITION.OUR RESPONSE SHOULD GO TO TALLAHASSE, FLORIDA SO FIND OUT DIRECT ADDRESS OK.

I agree lets start a petition, how do we go about it and where do we send it that it won't go in the trash can like all the job applications we fill out. jfdtravel2@aol.com

KAPILROOPANI in Toronto, Ontario

22 months ago

i am currently situation i am so frustrated with criminal record because i am almost becoming a Information Technologist and i have record pending which i am available to receive in 2018 which is total waste of time , so technically i wont be able to get job any where if i have it until 2018 which is completely ridiculously stupid "which means i can earn money until then VERY DUMP SYSTEM" we convict need a second chance to prove our self's to show we really made a mistake and we wish to make it better , this is like ice cold declaring we are criminals until they THE (RCMP) declares we are no longer are criminals which is quiet hefty , so i ask all the people to re-unite who are affected by this nonsense system and it's we do something about it plz people THINK AND LET'S TAKE A STAND.

CHRISTOPHER DEVILLE in Washington, District of Columbia

21 months ago

IVETTE said: HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE DONE SOMETHING THE PAST AND PAID FOR IT NOW??? WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT IS SOME PEOPLE HAVE COMMITED SOME KIND OF FELONY OR MISTOMEANOR AND NO ONE IS WILLING TO GIVE US A CHANCE THEN SOCIETY WONDERS WHY THERE IS SO MANY PEOPLE COMMITING CRIMES OUT THERE..HELLO IF SOCIETY DOESN'T GIVE YOU A SECOND CHANCE HOW IS IT THAT WE ARE GOING TO PROVE OURSELVES THAT WE WANT TO TURN OVER A NEW LEAF IT'S LIKE "YOU HAVE A CRIMINAL BACKGROUND SO THERE FOR NOT INTIALED TO HAVE A JOB"? I MEAN COME ON THAT SHOULD BE ILLEGAL.. GRANT IT THEY SHOULD SE WHAT KIND OF OFFENSE YOU HAVE COMMITTED AND THE JOB YOU ARE APPLYING FOR... IF ANY ONE OUT THERE IS GOING THROUGH THIS PLEASE LET ME KNOW I'M PLANNING TO START A PETITION TO CONGRESS TO GET SOME KIND OF HELP FROM THE STATE TO PROTECT AGAINST THIS KIND OF DISCRIMINATION .............

man, i been fighting to get my life, it seems like forever, and my crime happen in 1999, and now its 2013

jimmy in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio

20 months ago

IVETTE said: HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE DONE SOMETHING THE PAST AND PAID FOR IT NOW??? WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT IS SOME PEOPLE HAVE COMMITED SOME KIND OF FELONY OR MISTOMEANOR AND NO ONE IS WILLING TO GIVE US A CHANCE THEN SOCIETY WONDERS WHY THERE IS SO MANY PEOPLE COMMITING CRIMES OUT THERE..HELLO IF SOCIETY DOESN'T GIVE YOU A SECOND CHANCE HOW IS IT THAT WE ARE GOING TO PROVE OURSELVES THAT WE WANT TO TURN OVER A NEW LEAF IT'S LIKE "YOU HAVE A CRIMINAL BACKGROUND SO THERE FOR NOT INTIALED TO HAVE A JOB"? I MEAN COME ON THAT SHOULD BE ILLEGAL.. GRANT IT THEY SHOULD SE WHAT KIND OF OFFENSE YOU HAVE COMMITTED AND THE JOB YOU ARE APPLYING FOR... IF ANY ONE OUT THERE IS GOING THROUGH THIS PLEASE LET ME KNOW I'M PLANNING TO START A PETITION TO CONGRESS TO GET SOME KIND OF HELP FROM THE STATE TO PROTECT AGAINST THIS KIND OF DISCRIMINATION .............

Yea this is BS! 45-50 applications later I'm still being rejected. Companies care more about their stupid policies than getting a $2400 tax break and $5000 insurance for hiring me. They don't care that I have GREAT experience, just that I have a stupid felony. I didn't even lead a past criminal life, just got in one little stupid fight. And If they new the whole story, they'd MOST LIKELY UNDERSTAND! Ridiculous.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

20 months ago

jimmy in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio said: Yea this is BS! 45-50 applications later I'm still being rejected. Companies care more about their stupid policies than getting a $2400 tax break and $5000 insurance for hiring me. They don't care that I have GREAT experience, just that I have a stupid felony. I didn't even lead a past criminal life, just got in one little stupid fight. And If they new the whole story, they'd MOST LIKELY UNDERSTAND! Ridiculous.

AND....If they only used some of their SO-CALLED brain cells, they'd see how this discrimination really tears up the economy. They're forcing people to go back to their past, thus getting them sent back to jail and making taxes SKYROCKET!

20 months ago

jfdmjd2013 in Liverpool, New York said: I agree lets start a petition, how do we go about it and where do we send it that it won't go in the trash can like all the job applications we fill out. jfdtravel2@aol.com

PETITION
www.change.org/petitions/congress-social-and-economic-re-entry

20 months ago

20 months ago

jimmy in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio said: PETITION
www.change.org/petitions/congress-social-and-economic-re-entry

The people that discriminate are the trash, not us and our applications.

20 months ago

Rexroots in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: I think you are going over your head. By the way, I 've learned if I don't have anyting good or constructive to say ...don't.

Sorry Rexroots, thought I was replying to that charlie dude.

beginagainla in Bakersfield, California

20 months ago

I live in California and I recently got a copy of a background check that was performed by a third party screening company. I was really shocked that the report only went back 7 years and did not include checks in other states. What I learned is that background checks done by third party screening companies are restricted in terms of how far they can go back into someone's criminal record. They are only verifying what is put down on the job application. This is a major loophole I don't think most felons are taking advantage of. When asked on the application whether they've been convicted of a felony, the felon will honestly answer yes.

If I had an old felony on my record, I might test the system and specifically choose a company that uses a third party screening company. I would stay away from Livescan fingerprint checks and small companies doing their own bgc's. These companies often outsource their work out of the country and do not do a thorough job screening backgrounds.

20 months ago

20 months ago

The link you provided is a little short on references. There's enough in there, though, for people to Google and find a source where they will get actual information without a pro- or anti-Obama spin.

The job market is tough for everyone right now. All I'm saying is that a person with a felony record, especially one that is more than 7 years old, MAY (and I stress MAY) be able to work around it by carefully researching where they apply and knowing who the company uses to do the background check.

If your source of information is stuff like the link above, I don't know what to say. Good luck to you all.

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

20 months ago

beginagainla in Bakersfield, California said: I live in California and I recently got a copy of a background check that was performed by a third party screening company. I was really shocked that the report only went back 7 years and did not include checks in other states. What I learned is that background checks done by third party screening companies are restricted in terms of how far they can go back into someone's criminal record. They are only verifying what is put down on the job application. This is a major loophole I don't think most felons are taking advantage of. When asked on the application whether they've been convicted of a felony, the felon will honestly answer yes.

If I had an old felony on my record, I might test the system and specifically choose a company that uses a third party screening company. I would stay away from Livescan fingerprint checks and small companies doing their own bgc's. These companies often outsource their work out of the country and do not do a thorough job screening backgrounds.

I often wonder if a company can find out if you have been collecting unemployment and for what length of time???? Any thoughts?

20 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: I often wonder if a company can find out if you have been collecting unemployment and for what length of time???? Any thoughts?

I choose to believe that there is no direct way, but you never really know.

However, the company that I just referenced (how I would love to name this company, but I won't) did something else that really bothered me. So I already mentioned how they used this third party company to do the bgc, and I got a copy of that report. Before the third-party company even got to work, the company itself asked me to provide copies of my W2s, 1099s, and copies of my payroll stubs for all the companies I put down on my application. What the *&(!!!? I'd never heard of this practice before. They said it was in case the third party company could not verify employment any other way.

A company asking for such documentation could conclude that gaps in payroll information you provide them could mean that you were probably in jail or collecting unemployment.

I want to tell people about this practice so that when/if it happens to them, they won't be as caught off guard as I was. I have concluded that the weakest background you can have is one done through one of these companies. People shouldn't be intimidated by them. Mine was done by ADP and it was done through a call center in India.

20 months ago

When I got a copy of the report, it showed all the questions they were supposed to ask my former employers and most of it was left blank. They didn't even bother to verify salary. All they verified were the dates and hung up. I know because two of my former employers both said the calls came from people with really heavy Indian accents. I later confirmed that ADP does outsource their background checks to India. It makes no sense. That's where the jobs are people. Send my personal information to effing India so they can turn around and make calls back here to confirm the information. How American is that?

20 months ago

beginagainla in Bakersfield, California said: Before the third-party company even got to work, the company itself asked me to provide copies of my W2s, 1099s, and copies of my payroll stubs for all the companies I put down on my application. What the *&(!!!? I'd never heard of this practice before. They said it was in case the third party company could not verify employment any other way.

A company asking for such documentation could conclude that gaps in payroll information you provide them could mean that you were probably in jail or collecting unemployment.

Well,

You should of told them that if the third party company could not verify your previous salary then you would be happy to search for your W-2's. They are in a box somewhere in the attic.

Why wouldn't they be able to verify salary though? If they can verify dates why not salary. Maybe it's a legality.

What I think it could be is companies are starting to smarten up. The unemployed are covering gaps using friends who own businesses to say, "Yeah he worked for me. He was my IT guy for my 5 gas stations." W2's provide a hard copy. Maybe.

20 months ago

This was for a position where I would actually be visiting people's private and business properties. If I had a felony older than 7 years, I could have easily made it into this large company. As long as I answered no to the question on the application to not having any felony convictions, they weren't going to check beyond 7 years. I could have committed murder 10 years ago and gotten into this company. They only went back 3 years for my driver's license, so I could have had an atrocious record before that and they would've never known.

For the level of access I would have with the general public, the lack of depth of the criminal background check was surprising. That's why I say that there is hope for felons.

20 months ago

beginagainla in Bakersfield, California said: This was for a position where I would actually be visiting people's private and business properties. If I had a felony older than 7 years, I could have easily made it into this large company. As long as I answered no to the question on the application to not having any felony convictions, they weren't going to check beyond 7 years. I could have committed murder 10 years ago and gotten into this company. They only went back 3 years for my driver's license, so I could have had an atrocious record before that and they would've never known.

For the level of access I would have with the general public, the lack of depth of the criminal background check was surprising. That's why I say that there is hope for felons.

This was sales for ADP?

20 months ago

I just caught myself. Forgive me. I'm not sure now if it's correct to say ex-felon or felon when referring to someone with a felony conviction.

20 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: This was sales for ADP?

No, I didn't say what the position was. I didn't name the company either, but it is a major California public utility company. They used ADP Screening and Selection Services to conduct the employment background check. Yes, the people who process your payroll checks have a separate division doing background checks.

I have no problem naming ADP because they've outsourced the task of background checks to India, and they are not doing a thorough job. On top of that, I see people on Indeed stressing over these background checks and divulging 20-year old misdemeanors to companies using services like ADP. They are not going to discover a 20-year old misdemeanor unless you tell them. On top of that, get your $ together and get it expunged so you can legally answer no to the question of whether you have any convictions. Felonies are another story. But there's just no reason not to get a misdemeanor expunged.

lseebeck in Tempe, Arizona

20 months ago

Katrenniaholmes@yahoo.com in Coatesville, Pennsylvania

18 months ago

I"m having the same problem and my felony is fifteen years old and was the first and last time I was arrested......I own up to my part of the situation and still to this people still won't give us a chance

Seeker

18 months ago

It is apparent that humanity has placed a higher standard than God on forgiveness. Jesus paid for it all, as He said, "Father forgive them for the know not what they do". Again Peter asked how many times should I forgive my brothers faults, reply from the Master was 7 times 70ty.

Forgiveness is only given in situations when those who have the capacity to forgive must remember that they too are forgiven daily for their faults and frailties. I have experienced this similar situation for over 26 years, and even after 22 years I petitioned the Florida govenor who said I was denied reprieve because I was not remorseful. What more can anyone after that period of time pay for? I am exhausted over this entire ordeal, but God is able....

Jean in Anderson, Indiana

18 months ago

I have been applying for jobs for a year and I am still unemployed. Yesterday, I applied online for a job through a temporary agency. I called left a voice mail. And within an hour this woman calls and says do you realize where this job is..I said yes I have worked in this area before the job is only 45 minutes away from my house. She said Ok, well let's schedule an appointment. I said since your office is further away from the actual job. The job online said that they run a background check. So I asked what would disqualify me from this job. She said felonies I said I don't have any. She said misdemeanor will disqualify you depending on what it was..I advised her what it was and she said that they will not hire me because of it no matter how long ago it was and she said that a lot of their clients are the same way. She said it is a good thing you asked that question. She said you have all the qualification but they can't do anything for me. This is what I run into all the time.

Familyof4 in Lakeland, Florida

18 months ago

We are also going through the same thing. My husband has 3 convictions of domestic assault from when he was 19 years old from verbal fights with his crazy family. He is now 30 has an education which has caused us thousands in debt. We have applied to luxury rentals to have a better place to raise our children, and he has applied to all major companies (Thomas Reuters, Carlson Companies, UnitedHealthGroup, Tek systems just to name a few) when we lived in Minnesota, each time they loved him had him go to a 2 day training and as soon as the background check came back they walked him out the door as if he was going to attack them. He has changed his life and is not a rude little punk. 10 years later we decided we needed to move because we have exhausted all options in Minnesota. We moved to FL because we had family close and we are running into the same problem. We are forced to live in a horrible school district because we can't get accepted to rent a nice house in a good school district even with my income, which isn't bad. We are denied constantly and this has started to destroy our credit. Now we are forced to live on one income, have tons of school debt, and can't have the income to support the debt we incurred thinking a degree would help in I.T. This country is a joke. We are good citizens, do our part, take pride in our work, raising kids, and trying to provide a better life for them and no one will give us a chance. How do they expect us to keep on the straight and narrow if they wont allow us to survive with rising costs? If they wont allow him to work then he should be able to apply for social security. We deserve to raise our family in a good community just like everyone else. It is bullsh*** that we are force to live like this. Now we can’t buy a house because of the school loans, can’t pay toward the schools because a company wont hire him and a $10.00/hr warehouse job doesn’t even cover daycare so what’s the point.

Familyof4 in Lakeland, Florida

18 months ago

not to mention his aren't even felonies. They are misdemeanors.

Bluetea in Texas

18 months ago

Familyof4 in Lakeland, Florida said: He has changed his life and is not a rude little punk. 10 years later we decided we needed to move because we have exhausted all options in Minnesota. We moved to FL because we had family close and we are running into the same problem. We are forced to live in a horrible school district because we can't get accepted to rent a nice house in a good school district even with my income, which isn't bad. We are denied constantly and this has started to destroy our credit. Now we are forced to live on one income, have tons of school debt, and can't have the income to support the debt we incurred thinking a degree would help in I.T. This country is a joke. We are good citizens, do our part, take pride in our work, raising kids, and trying to provide a better life for them and no one will give us a chance. How do they expect us to keep on the straight and narrow if they wont allow us to survive with rising costs? If they wont allow him to work then he should be able to apply for social security. We deserve to raise our family in a good community just like everyone else. It is bullsh*** that we are force to live like this. Now we can’t buy a house because of the school loans, can’t pay toward the schools because a company wont hire him and a $10.00/hr warehouse job doesn’t even cover daycare so what’s the point.

Try for smaller, less tech savvy companies. Many don't run background checks or at least not extensive ones. Try networking to find a job.

I worked a temp assignment where one of the owners of the company wore an ankle bracelet. I know he was the owner but that company did not run a background check on me.

Remember Ted Bundy, John Wayne Gacy and Jeffrey Dahmer all had jobs. - old HR joke.

Tonya Knowles in Dallas, Georgia

18 months ago

Yes I agree I live in Georgia and I'm going through this. I have a non violent felony /bank robbery from 14 years ago. It has now been almost 8 years since I have had a job. My family is in so much debt now that we are about to lose the home home that we rent.Yes what I done was wrong I was 25 years old I made a mistake
but I'm now 40 years old and have a family to support.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dianegarcia in Long Beach, California

18 months ago

I feel that more people shall get involved because employers doing criminal background checks and then not hiring you because of felonies is totally contradicting. how is society participating in ones rehabilitation if opportunities for felons are not given, there is so many ex-cons out there that truly want to change their lifedtyles, and have started the process, wether they attend and are involved in NA or AA or church, or whatever it is that's helping, but the only thing missing is them being employed. and what of those that decide to pursue their education, get a degree and then still have to go through a criminal background check, I feel that if your not registered as a sex offender, or arson, then you should be able to get the job, period. background checks for possible employment should be checking for sex offenses or arson, that's it and that's all, any other type of felony should be discrimination if you don't get hired because of it. I would like to get involved with a petition to congress to change these laws regarding to criminal background checks for the possibility of employment. is anyone willing to take the time to teach me how to do just that? start a petition, gather signatures, and summit it to congress. what is the procedure? someone help please. thank you

jherna in Denver, Colorado

18 months ago

Here's an online petition someone started on this forum www.change.org/petitions/congress-social-and-economic-re-entry

D-Nice in Goose Creek, South Carolina

18 months ago

myssunappreciated in Baton Rouge, Louisiana said: I am in Louisiana and the same thing is happening here to me. Have you tried anything to help yourself. I have tried everything. But nothing has changed. Without a job how can someone make changes if no one is willing to help. We have paid for our mistake can we just get past that. If there is anyone who know please pass the information on. Thanks a lot.

Go to your local one-top centers and sign up for the WIA-Program! Its free and they are their to help ones like us get a trade and or skill if needed to help us find job placement. Extra skills wont hurt, because I'm in the same boat here in Charleston, SC and jobs have turned me down left and right due to my felony record and sex charge back in 05 that was supposed to be a misdemeanor; but nonetheless it's a charge and part of my past that I'm not very proud of, but I'm not gonna give up. I have a Class A CDL license and I'm going to give it my all until someone says that they'll take the chance to hire me.

Cheryl in Pooler, Georgia

18 months ago

Tonya Knowles in Dallas, Georgia said: Yes I agree I live in Georgia and I'm going through this. I have a non violent felony / bank robbery from 14 years ago. It has now been almost 8 years since I have had a job. My family is in so much debt now that we are about to lose the home home that we rent.Yes what I done was wrong I was 25 years old I made a mistake
but I'm now 40 years old and have a family to support.

Was wondering how you were doing? Have you gotten a job yet? My husband is kinda going through the same thing. Only he was never convicted of anything. He has had a few arrests because he and I were arguing. We lived in Florida when all this happened, we now live in Georgia. He cannot get a job, because of his background check. The police in Florida had made up lies on the police reports, such as my husband hit them with our front door. The police knocked on the door, my husband opened it and the officers immediately threw him to the ground, handcuffed him and took him off to jail. I was there, I saw what happened and he did not try to hit them with the door.

Another instance...My husband works out with swords. We had an argument and the police came out and my husband had the sword sitting next to him on the floor. They took him off to jail again for assault with a deadly weapon. He never assaulted or even tried to assault anyone. But again, it shows on his background check. and again he was never charged in court...case was closed.

I feel the times they took him to jail, should not show on his background check so that he cannot get a job. I also don't know how police officers can lie like that...Don't they know that they are not only hurting the person they took off to jail, but are hurting their families also? He has not been able to get a job now for three years...this is making it really hard on me...I have to be the money maker, working with a bad thyroid and bad heart. I wish there was something I could do.

Bluetea in Texas

18 months ago

Cheryl in Pooler, Georgia said: Another instance...My husband works out with swords. We had an argument and the police came out and my husband had the sword sitting next to him on the floor. They took him off to jail again for assault with a deadly weapon. He never assaulted or even tried to assault anyone. But again, it shows on his background check. and again he was never charged in court...case was closed.

I feel the times they took him to jail, should not show on his background check so that he cannot get a job. I also don't know how police officers can lie like that...Don't they know that they are not only hurting the person they took off to jail, but are hurting their families also? He has not been able to get a job now for three years...this is making it really hard on me...I have to be the money maker, working with a bad thyroid and bad heart. I wish there was something I could do.

I work in a sports arena and from time to time, we get the occasional fight or drunken brawl. Our security teams are told to first warn the offender(s) that they must leave or the police will be called.

If the police are called, they will go to jail and that will appear on a background check. Its amazing how fast they leave now when they hear that.

Completely Broke and Broken in Cleveland, Ohio

18 months ago

Cheryl in Pooler, Georgia said: Was wondering how you were doing? Have you gotten a job yet? My husband is kinda going through the same thing. Only he was never convicted of anything. He has had a few arrests because he and I were arguing. We lived in Florida when all this happened, we now live in Georgia. He cannot get a job, because of his background check. The police in Florida had made up lies on the police reports, such as my husband hit them with our front door. The police knocked on the door, my husband opened it and the officers immediately threw him to the ground, handcuffed him and took him off to jail. I was there, I saw what happened and he did not try to hit them with the door.

Another instance...My husband works out with swords. We had an argument and the police came out and my husband had the sword sitting next to him on the floor. They took him off to jail again for assault with a deadly weapon. He never assaulted or even tried to assault anyone. But again, it shows on his background check. and again he was never charged in court...case was closed.

I know at least one homeless woman that cannot get a job, because of slander from the government (where she worked at one time) and naturally, some really shoddy, deceitful, police work.

AUWareagle2001 in Suwanee, Georgia

17 months ago

I would like to just comment generally. I have not read all the posts but several of them. I have 2 misdemeanor DUIs and they make out as a hardened criminal. It is not fair and have been discriminated by 4 companies so far since I have now been looking. I don't care if some of you non-criminals reading this disagrees. I did not steal, I did not commit murder, or committed any other crime, just 2 DUIs and I am made to feel like I am a murderer. Can our political heroes do anything about this? I know some of you on here have petty misdemeanor crimes and something needs to be done about it. What if you have improved your life? I am more than qualified to do many of the positions I have been searching for(mainly in sales). I am going to call my senator's office and my state governor's office and I am going to write them a note as well listing the companies that have discriminated against me. It is not fair.

Bridgetb1011 in Johnstown, Ohio

17 months ago

My situation by many of my friends and family is considered unfortunate. I have had such trouble finding a job because of something happened two years ago in a different state. In a month I will be going to school in a month for the next three years and I'm terrified I won't be able to get a job 5 years after my conviction to be be able to provide for my family. Because where I got convicted at there is no chance of expungement or anything unless I go through to the President or the governor... It sucks.

Cheryl in Pooler, Georgia

17 months ago

I have tried contacting the president twice for my husband...with no response. My husband has no felonies or convictions...just police reports which some of them are false statements from the police department. If you start a petition, please let me know at tnc4304@aol.com...I will definitely sign it! I am tired of them making him out to be a criminal when he did nothing wrong. The police dept where we lived just didn't like him!

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.