The Evils of Temp Agencies

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Harold in Valentine, Nebraska

51 months ago

I started this forum to discuss the current increasing trend in the United States for employers to hire temporary employees through temporary employment agencies and to discuss current news about this issue.

My personal experience has found that:

* temp agencies are short-term solutions to obtain temporary employment
* if you apply for temp-to-hire positions sometimes it works out and you become a permanent employee of the employer
* Medical insurance and other benefits provided by temp agencies are a short-term solution to obtaining coverage between jobs

I worked for Addecco for a year with just one corporate employer. Addecco invested a lot of training for employees and the training was valuable. However, after a year, Addeco began laying off many workers from that employer and about 30 people were laid off. Only one worker was hired by the employer as a permanent employee. When I went to the State Employment Office, experienced job counselors there told me two (2) things:

1) More and more employers are hiring temp workers instead of permanent, full-time employees so they don't have to pay for insurances and other benefits.

2) Move away. YES - they told me to MOVE out of the STATE!!

Here is an interesting short article with the New York Times about the history of temp agencies in the United States:

opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/01/26/the-rise-of-the-permanent-temp-economy/?_r=0

The Huffington Post has had many interesting articles lately about temp agencies. One very alarming piece of information I gleaned from their articles is this:

"More recently, temp firms have successfully lobbied to change laws or regulatory interpretations in 31 states, so that workers who lose their assignments and are out of work cannot get unemployment benefits unless they check back in with the temp firm for another assignment."

Is this not horrifying?

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Harold in Valentine, Nebraska

51 months ago

Further,

"Temp agencies consistently rank among the worst large industries for the rate of wage and hour violations, according an analysis of federal enforcement data. A 2005 Labor Department survey, the most recent available, found that only 4% of temps have pensions or retirement plans from their employers. Only 8% get health insurance from their employers, compared with 56% of permanent workers."

Another article said:

"According to numerous studies, staffing agencies serve a much more insidious purpose: agencies are nothing more than a tool for employers to cut labor costs by dodging taxes and government regulation."

Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

51 months ago

Harold in Valentine, Nebraska said: Further,

"Temp agencies consistently rank among the worst large industries for the rate of wage and hour violations, according an analysis of federal enforcement data. A 2005 Labor Department survey, the most recent available, found that only 4% of temps have pensions or retirement plans from their employers. Only 8% get health insurance from their employers, compared with 56% of permanent workers."

Another article said:

"According to numerous studies, staffing agencies serve a much more insidious purpose: agencies are nothing more than a tool for employers to cut labor costs by dodging taxes and government regulation."

According to Robert Reich, "Aftershock" this is all part of the plan. With the push to Obamacare, of course, companies were going to do this. We have been driving down wages for going on 30 years. Wall St. is running the show now.

Reply - Report abuse

Electronics Pro in Denver, Colorado

23 months ago

It's simple. Where there is a way to be corrupt and no one in the way to do it there will be corruption. Employers are thinking short term with using temp agencies. For a while many temps will believe the lie and work thier back sides off to impress the employer hoping they will get on permanent. Some temps will actually get on permanent and I have seen who those are and they are not the best workers, they are the back side kissers. The employers think they are sidestepping expenses and they are temporarily using temp workers but in the long run they are losing money because they don't value the most important resource thier company has.....people! When your people don't have any reason to value whether or not the company lives or dies because the company did not invest in them then they will not invest the best of themselves in that company. How do you measure sucess in a business? Is it profit only? or is it when in tough times you have what it takes to make it through....dedicated people in your business. If your employees are temporary and know they can be thrown out any minute they are not dedicated to your business. Think you greedy companies!!!!!! you trade short term profit and lose stability because none of us temporary employees care if you go under tomorrow!!!!!

Reply - Report abuse

Fight For Your Rights in Lay Off one Job and Found Two Ones in it's place. I have a Goal and a Dream :),

23 months ago

Electronics Pro in Denver, Colorado said: It's simple. If your employees are temporary and know they can be thrown out any minute they are not dedicated to your business. Think you greedy companies!!!!!! you trade short term profit and lose stability because none of us temporary employees care if you go under tomorrow!!!!!

That's not always true, it depends on the Temporary employees character as well. I always work my butt off when working a temp job.

I do agree with you on companies that don't invest in their employees. The last job I worked I was so dedicated that I quit my day job because I was making more money at the night job. The night job was paying all the temps 12 an hour vs their regular staff only getting 9 - 10 an hour. The regular staff also had not receivied any raises or bonus's for 2 years due to the economy. The company owner and CEO had the nerve to send out letters to all their employees telling them that due to the economy and expenses, that the employees were the most expensive of all so they would not be receiving a raise again for year 3. But the company would hire on temps at 12 an hour while the employees were only getting 9 or 10 an hour and some of those regular employees had been with the company for 4 years. I'm in agreement with you on Greed definitely playing a part at this company, the owner kept his motorhome, boat and motorcycles at the job site. But once someone told a good enough lie that very good temp employee (me) would be tossed like trash regardless of their excellent work. But I know Karma will come back on the night manager that lied too, so it's all good.

Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.