What does ADP do for a background check?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 89)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

taylormade in Franklin, Massachusetts

80 months ago

I have no criminal or driving issues, but I did file a bankruptcy just now when a business I had failed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

vlclove in Massachusetts

80 months ago

they check to make sure that all data you put on your application is correct. That also means the dates, and degrees.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (30) Reply - Report abuse

JobSeekerADP

78 months ago

Taylormade, did the bankruptcy interfere with you getting a job at ADP? I was curious of the credit criteria, I am ace of straights and flushes on everything else but am wondering if credit could stop me for working with ADP, anyone have any insight? Is there a black and white credit score criteria? If so what does your score have to be?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (57) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

j lee in Springfield, Massachusetts

78 months ago

I was recently (started last week) hired by adp and have horrible credit so i wouldn't worry too much about it. What seemed to matter most was 100% honesty on your application materials.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

JK in Idaho in Meridian, Idaho

77 months ago

Credit can be a big issue with some companies who expect you to use your own credit for company purchases, and then submitting expense reports. Credit scores are also used as an indicator on what type of employee you might be.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

bogart in new york, New York

70 months ago

Mark Walder in West New York, New Jersey said: yes they check EVERYTHING...Trust me dot your I's and cross your T's

hi

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Shane Burke in Baltimore, Maryland

66 months ago

not much action on this thread....but let me be clear.....MAKE SURE YOU DISCLOSE EVERYTHING!!!!!

ADP does a very thorough background check, but in most cases we are understanding of certain mistakes we have all made at one point or another....but if you don't disclose it, you wil have your offer rescinded.

Same goes with accuracy in dates of employment, why you left your job and income!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Brandon M in Salt Lake City, Utah

66 months ago

Shane,

Is it the application that they go by. I think I might have made a mistake on some dates. Nothing big though. Also reason for leaving might have been not in much detail. Also I put salary that I was paid in the year if I had two jobs that wont be clear. With these things will the person doing the background check let me clear those things up?

Brandon

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Brandon M in Salt Lake City, Utah said: Shane,

there is certain 'wiggle room' allowed with dates and salary...but not much.

if you want to revise the application, I reccomend you ask your recruiter to let you edit it before it is submitted for background.

if it has already been submitted to background, then you will have to wait and see. but from what you told me, I don;t think that will be an issue.

thanks for the kind words Brandon....I can't make everyone happy all the time, but I like to think most are.

good luck on your interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jarrad777 in Pennsylvania

64 months ago

Hi,
I have recently been interviewing with ADP for national accounts. I am on my 5th interview which is going to involve a role play with two of the managers in the national accounts department. I am very confident with the role play but concerned about the background check. I have disclosed that i had previous received misdermeaner charges for simple assault about 3 1/2 years ago in college. Will this affect my chances in getting hired with ADP. I did mention this in my application and spoke about the issue to one of the recruiters and he didnt say much about the issue except asking me questions about what happened. I am currently working on getting my probation dropped this coming week. I hope everything goes in my favor.But either way will my chances be diminished because of this.

Thank You

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (48) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

eva.freeman_123@hotmail.com in Lawrenceville, Georgia

60 months ago

I am in the process of being interviewed by ADP. I am concerned whether or not a credit check will be performed. My credit is aweful, bankcrupcies, late payments.. Will this effect my changes for hire.

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

eva.freeman_123@hotmail.com in Lawrenceville, Georgia said: I am in the process of being interviewed by ADP. I am concerned whether or not a credit check will be performed. My credit is aweful, bankcrupcies, late payments.. Will this effect my changes for hire.

Thanks

I do not know for certain if that will be an issue with your employment. I would interview with your best foot forward and when the time is appropiate bring it up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

adp prospect in Schaumburg, Illinois

56 months ago

Hi Shane,
I have my second interview coming up for a B2B sales position and after reading these forums I'm a bit worried about the background check. I provides the numbers to reach my old managers but I don't have my w2's or old pay stubs for even my last job let alone a job I have 5 years ago. Is this going to result in a 'unverifiable' mark or do they just need to speak with someone who can verify that information over the phone. Also I have an OUIL from about 7 years ago, in another state, so it is off my criminal record but I am not certain about my driving record but I marked no for that question since my criminal record is clean. Will this prevent me from getting a job? Lastly, I have a minor speeding ticket from almost 2 years ago (should be coming off my record any day now) would that prevent me from getting a job. Sorry for all the questions but I have worked so hard in preparing for this and want to work for ADP so bad and would be devastated to have my offer revoked for something out of my control.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

J9795 in Franklin, Tennessee

53 months ago

Does anyone know the base for B2B with ADP? What are the typical comissions in a given month? I have 4 years outside sales experience.
Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

J9795 in Franklin, Tennessee said: Does anyone know the base for B2B with ADP? What are the typical comissions in a given month? I have 4 years outside sales experience.
Thanks

my Name is Shane and I am a Sales Recruiter with ADP.

There are many different levels of roles within our company.

depending on whay type of sales experience you have will impact what division we can consider you for.

If you are interested in learning more, please give me your email address and I will contact you directly.

Thanks,

Shane
ADP Sales Recruiter

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Joseph Baragona in Fairfield, New Jersey

53 months ago

Hi Shane,
I am glad that I found you on this forum because I had a few questions on the hiring process. I actually had interviewed with you on the phone a few weeks ago. I was going to contact you directly but I accidentally deleted your voicemail with your contact information.

Basically, I had the phone interview with you, interviewed with the VP of sales, then interviewed with the sales manager/participated in the field ride. I felt that everything went really well all the way through and that I clicked well with the sales representative during the field ride. I also followed up with an email with both the manager and the rep with a thank you and stating I was looking forward to hearing about the next steps in the interview/hiring process. However, its now been two weeks and I have not heard anything. Would you say that I should make the assumption that they are no longer considering me for the position? I was also wondering if I would hear either way? I would really appreciate any insight you may be able to provide on how things generally work. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

John Better in Boston, Massachusetts

46 months ago

I am curious about ADP's drug testing process. I am not a drug user but have smoke marijuana in the past 90 days. Does ADP give hair follicle tests or a urine test?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (59) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

Slalom in Sandy, Utah

44 months ago

Shane Burke in Baltimore, Maryland said: not much action on this thread....but let me be clear.....MAKE SURE YOU DISCLOSE EVERYTHING!!!!!

ADP does a very thorough background check, but in most cases we are understanding of certain mistakes we have all made at one point or another....but if you don't disclose it, you wil have your offer rescinded.

Same goes with accuracy in dates of employment, why you left your job and income!

Shane,

I am interviewing for a position with ADP. i finished grad school during the recession and have had lengthy periods of unemployment that have caused me financial difficulties and a poor credit history. I also have a recent DUI (driving under the influence) charge with the outcome pending. Other than that I have a good record, great education, strong employment experience and solid recommendations. I intend to be fully honest on my application, I am just wondering if these 2 issues might affect my application. Any advice you can provide is appreciated

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Some Guy 3 in Detroit, Michigan

42 months ago

Shane,

I am moving on to my role play interview,and stumbled across this page. I did not have the exact dates of my previous employment, but rather the months. I was let go of by two companies, and when asked the reason I said Laid off. Will this be an issue? Also, I put down the base salaries, and did not include my overtime/commission, will this be an issue?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Rocco in Omaha, Nebraska

41 months ago

taylormade in Franklin, Massachusetts said: I have no criminal or driving issues, but I did file a bankruptcy just now when a business I had failed.

Do they check other state for felonies

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Rocco in Omaha, Nebraska

41 months ago

I recently moved from Seattle to get a fresh start, and was wondering if they check other state for felonies, so if I should say a have one

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

DeeDee in East Northport, New York

41 months ago

Hi, how would ADP react to a DUI 14 years ago? Does ADP go that far back? I was always under the impression that after 10 years that record was sealed, I have applied and received many state licenses and have always answered 'no' to prior misdeameanors etc. Am I incorrect?
Thank you for your help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

marissa yonover in WPB, Florida said: If you were charged with a misdeameanor no matter how long along I would out it on the application. ADP's background is VERY thorough and has been know to pick up things from 15-20 years ago. You are better off fully disclosely everything.

Thank you. Do you think this will be a major obstacle in my hiring?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

I am applying for a sales position. I really hope it doesn't present to be a problem.

41 months ago

thank you

JUST_CURIOUS in Rex, Georgia

38 months ago

I have a face to face interview with a Manager in Norcross, GA. I've made a silly mistake in my past which cause me a misdemeanor on my record. (Back in 2005 my room mate at the time and I got into an altercation which caused both of us to go to jail) I never been in trouble before then or after that. Will I be automatically disqualified for having this on my background> It was some years ago and I never been in trouble since. I have all the experience and qualifications for this position and it will be so discouraging to be denied the job for something that happened some time ago while I was still a teenager. Any feedback will be great. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Saleguru in Parsippany, New Jersey

38 months ago

JUST_CURIOUS in Rex, Georgia said: I have a face to face interview with a Manager in Norcross, GA. I've made a silly mistake in my past which cause me a misdemeanor on my record. (Back in 2005 my room mate at the time and I got into an altercation which caused both of us to go to jail) I never been in trouble before then or after that. Will I be automatically disqualified for having this on my background> It was some years ago and I never been in trouble since. I have all the experience and qualifications for this position and it will be so discouraging to be denied the job for something that happened some time ago while I was still a teenager. Any feedback will be great. Thanks.

Do you have a clean record prior to this incident?
Make sure you disclose everything regarding a felonious past. If ADP finds it, you won't have a chance. Legally, they have to interview you. Also, depending on the severity of the incident it could be a red flag.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Shane Burke in Port Jefferson Station, New York

38 months ago

JUST_CURIOUS in Rex, Georgia said: I have a face to face interview with a Manager in Norcross, GA. I've made a silly mistake in my past which cause me a misdemeanor on my record. (Back in 2005 my room mate at the time and I got into an altercation which caused both of us to go to jail) I never been in trouble before then or after that. Will I be automatically disqualified for having this on my background> It was some years ago and I never been in trouble since. I have all the experience and qualifications for this position and it will be so discouraging to be denied the job for something that happened some time ago while I was still a teenager. Any feedback will be great. Thanks.

Sales Guru is correct on this one. Make sure you disclose everything and anything that might come back on a background check. our legal department will review each case on it's own. such things as severity and when it happened is taken into consideration.

You do not have to mention this to the hiring manager. BUT...Please do mention this to your recruiter. It will remain confidetial and most likely we can find out now as supposed to later if this will be an issue or not.

thanks for your questions and hope the interviews are going well.

D. Erik in Charlotte, North Carolina

35 months ago

Hi Shane,

I have done a couple phone interviews, a face to face, and a Roleplay face to face. I did OK on the roleplay, but they would like me to call in like I'm going to be setting an appointment. I'm almost 100% on what I need to do, but I'd like any feedback. Something in me really tells me I could do incredible about this job, and I want the offer.

Could someone please respond through here, or e-mail me at erik198226 at yahoo.com

Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ronnieyolonda@msn.com

34 months ago

Ok I have had a tight security based background check before I have been informed. What is different from the Adp background check than the others? What Is the one thing they do differently?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Michelle in Bridgewater, New Jersey

33 months ago

Hello Shane,

I am from the PA area, and just wondering what the expected starting salary would be for an Outside Sales Manager.

Thanks
Michelle

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Zein Kraus in Florham Park, New Jersey

33 months ago

Michelle in Bridgewater, New Jersey said: Hello Shane,

I am from the PA area, and just wondering what the expected starting salary would be for an Outside Sales Manager.

Thanks
Michelle

Hi Michele,

Great question! I am part of the ADP staffing team and recruit for multiple business groups. I can tell you that salaries vary by business groups & city. However, the structure is typically a very competitive base + commission. Plus our company also provides a training subsidy your first year! The best way to get salary info is to apply for the position that interest you and when the recruiter reaches out to you, he/she will be able to give you the details

Zein

lee.pearce@adp.com in Roseland, New Jersey

30 months ago

taylormade in Franklin, Massachusetts said: I have no criminal or driving issues, but I did file a bankruptcy just now when a business I had failed.

Hi - I know it's been many months but thought it may be helpful to get a recent answer from a recruiter at ADP. It depends on the position.. but the most important thing is to make sure you don't try to hide anything by omitting info on the application. For example, if you have been convicted of an DUI.. make sure you include that on the app in the appropriate field. Reason being, the current process is, verifying all dates and duties as well as titles going back 10 yrs. Also, running background check in every state one has lived in during the last 10 yrs. If a conviction for a DUI comes up and it was not included on the app, that would be cause for recinding the offer. If one did include the info.. that does not mean they will be disqualified from the job. Be honest on all info you provide on a job application. You want to make sure all information you list is verifiable by a 3rd party company that specializes in conducting background checks. Honesty is always the best policy.

Saleguru in Parsippany, New Jersey

29 months ago

I actually have to laugh a little as some of these questions. You do realize that this company actually has a Screening and Selection service that they sell, right? If you lie, you're going to get caught...end of story. Don't be stupid. If you claimed bankruptcy and you want to work for a FINANCIAL institution like ADP, you might want to lower your career goals. If you have a DUI and you want to perform any driving for ADP, might want to look into other jobs. Point is, these questions are DUMB! You don't want to know if these situations will hinder your employment, you want to know how to get around them and lie on your application. C'mon! Think McFly, Think!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Indy Salesman in Carmel, Indiana

28 months ago

I was wonder which is better income Major Account Sales or Entry-Level Business Development? ADP is my 1st choice and I have an phone interview setup today for the entry position. I like to know the difference in income between the two positions and job responsibilities too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Roast85 in Portland, Oregon

22 months ago

I am seeking clarification please. Also, like me I think many of these questions are not to cheat the system. In my case, credit questions do not appear on any of the applications I have seen thus far. I am scheduled for a face-to-face interview after several phone interviews. If I receive a verbal offer, it will be subject to the background check. Then I wait for results knowing I answered everything with total truth and accuracy but credit issues were never asked or addressed. The position is not financial in nature but it does have "manager" in the title. The issue is: I have an old state tax lien and a couple of outstanding judgments recorded against me. These are from several years ago. I never filed bankruptcy but these "issues" are recorded at county recorder's offices and they appear on my credit report. Amazingly, my credit score "beacon" is above 620. Also, I live in a state who's laws prohibit employers from using credit information unless the position is financial in nature. The job is in another state so who's laws dictate the process? Are liens and/or judgments considered to be only credit issues or are they considered something more serious? I did not break any laws but I am not sure what to do here. I would love to know if this could derail my opportunity with ADP. Any info would be much appreciated.

Lee Pearce in Roseland, New Jersey

22 months ago

Hi- most positions at ADP have a background check that includes, a criminal background check in each state candidate has lived in for the last 10 yrs, verifying degrees if applicable or high school diploma, dates, duties and salary info going back for 10 yrs of job history as well as eligiblity for rehire. Credit check is typically not done. Hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Pleasant Valley, New York

22 months ago

Lee,

They are always posting an outside sales job where I reside. What makes the sales gig tough?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

ADP Interviewee in Harrison, New Jersey

20 months ago

Hi Everyone,

I am being interviewed for an Inside Sales position at ADP. I have had a lot of prior Sales experience, but the problem is that I was always paid under the counter. Is this going to be a problem when they check my work background?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

20 months ago

After an offer is accepted at ADP, the background check process starts. It includes a criminal background check in every state candidate has lived in for last 10 yrs, a drug screen, education verification as well as verifying dates, duties, titles and salary and bonus for 10 yrs of job history or last 4 jobs. Typically, this takes about 2-3 weeks to complete but can take longer. Some roles have additional steps added to the basic background check. For all roles, if compensation and previous employment cannot be verified - this likely would pose a problem in passing the background check. Thanks for inquiring.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ms. Determined in Decatur, Georgia

20 months ago

Lee Pearce in Roseland, New Jersey said: After an offer is accepted at ADP, the background check process starts. It includes a criminal background check in every state candidate has lived in for last 10 yrs, a drug screen, education verification as well as verifying dates, duties, titles and salary and bonus for 10 yrs of job history or last 4 jobs. Typically, this takes about 2-3 weeks to complete but can take longer. Some roles have additional steps added to the basic background check. For all roles, if compensation and previous employment cannot be verified - this likely would pose a problem in passing the background check. Thanks for inquiring.

Hi,

Does the same process apply in Georgia??

20 months ago

Yes - same process through out the US. Thanks, Lee Pearce

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ms. Determined in Decatur, Georgia

20 months ago

Lee Pearce in Roseland, New Jersey said: Yes - same process through out the US. Thanks, Lee Pearce

Thanks for your response Lee.

How would I know if I, at least, passed the interview process.? All my recruiter is willing to tell me is that she is waiting on some feedback. It has been a little over a week now. My nerves are SHOT!! lol However, I don't want to annoy her....

Ms_Determined in Decatur, Georgia

20 months ago

Lee Pearce in Roseland, New Jersey said: Yes - same process through out the US. Thanks, Lee Pearce

Hello Lee,

Will you please advise?

Thanks again.

20 months ago

I realize it's stressful to job search. I recommend 1 follow up email to recruiter. After that.. wait for a response. If a recruiter has news of an offer, they will reach out. Otherwise, there may not be any news to report. You will hear back at the least, by email if not by phone. Hang in there, there are many factors that impact when candidates will hear status, often it's that the recruiter is waiting on news as well regarding decision.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

john dawsondoe in NA, New Jersey

20 months ago

Lee Pearce in Roseland, New Jersey said: I realize it's stressful to job search. I recommend 1 follow up email to recruiter. After that.. wait for a response. If a recruiter has news of an offer, they will reach out. Otherwise, there may not be any news to report. You will hear back at the least, by email if not by phone. Hang in there, there are many factors that impact when candidates will hear status, often it's that the recruiter is waiting on news as well regarding decision.

Lee,

Im currently going into what i guess you would consider "phase 3" of the interview process. After 2 phone interviews, and 2 in persons with a VP and another with a few sales execs. I believe the next is a day in the field with a sales exec., followed by a role play afterwards.

Ok, cutting to the chase. Do you have any information on what the 'typical' is that the sales executive may ask you to sell them? Is it more likely going to be an ADP service or solution, or something more sales interview-like, such as the age old "sell me this pen"?

Thanks,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

20 months ago

I would prepare for all 3 .. as I'm sure you are aware, the more you prepare for an interview, the more confident you feel. I'm not sure what the answer is regarding what you will be asked in the next interview - each sales executive and VP is different. I would check with your recruiter that has engaged you in the process so see if they have any insight. Best of luck for your next interview!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dmoney in Brandon, Florida

19 months ago

A few of my previous employers are no longer in business. What difficulty, if any will this present in completing a background check?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Shane Burke in Port Jefferson Station, New York

19 months ago

Dmoney in Brandon, Florida said: A few of my previous employers are no longer in business. What difficulty, if any will this present in completing a background check?

If you have a w-2 or old paycheck we can work around that. This does happen time to time, try not to sweat it too much, your staffing coordinator will work with you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

19 months ago

Hi - this does happen.. and in these situations, the new hire is typically asked to provide documentation such as a W2 or paystubs to verify employment in cases when the former employer is closed.

Regards,
Lee Pearce

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.