FALSE ADVERTISEMENT

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (28)

LB in Sparta, Illinois

100 months ago

What these staffing companies do is plainly advertise for staffing possibilities then meet with clients to stirr up some work. They hold back your pay a bit trying to entice you with bs and the perspective company also. Most of the jobs they advertise for are for lower pay or just don't actually exist. On the professional staffing it is a bit better but somewhat still the same. (75% of their postings are not actual positions available.)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

FRUSTRATED in Colorado Springs, Colorado

100 months ago

I agree with you whole-heartily, these companies need to be regulated on their advertising! State’s need to step-in and see that these type of ads do not exist in our papers or on the internet job postings. False advertising of job listing should not be allowed. It gives false hope to those in need of work. Jobs are hard enough to come by, let alone a temporary one. All jobs are becoming low-paid and no more than 32 hours per week. This is so they don’t pay health benefits and any vacation and sick pay. What is worst is the State’s Unemployment Agencies around this country, they are also posting unreal and false employment opportunities. Americans are being ousted by out-of -country workers from low wage countries, and the US government doesn’t even care. They outsource all the high-paying jobs to low-wage countries, and the low-paying jobs left here in the country go to foreign workers (legal or illegal).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

AK, in Chicago, IL in Chicago, Illinois

100 months ago

The posters above are right about misleading employees regarding the salaries once you finish an assignment for temp-to-perm positions. Even the turnover at the aerotek offices seem high.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Richard Hates Liars in New York, New York

100 months ago

I'm in New York City. It is just unbelievable the amount of advertisements I've been sending resumes into only to find out that they are for Temporary/Staffing companies. And I always ask point blank if they have any work, and they say, "Yes!" But the truth of the matter is that they don't. I go to the interview, take the silly tests, do the interview and then I get this, "Well, we're hoping to get blah blah blah." I don't know why they do it. My roommate says that they have to have a certain number of available people in their pool at any time when they approach their clients. I also overheard a woman at an agency cold-calling one of the applicants list of past employers in order to drum up work.

It's pathetic. I can't even believe how many of these agencies say they have "tons of work" every shift, seven days, great pay, and it turns out that they don't even have sht on toast, if you know what I'm saying

What good are the labor laws I ask you if no one enforces them? I've called out a few agencies on this and they usually say that the ad has to run longer and the job has been filled, or that because they are seasonal they are allowed to do this, but the fact is plainly that it is false representation.

I do know that when the market is good, they do call. I know they are going through just as difficult a time as we are, because they aren't getting the work...and are just trying to seem busy...they need a reason to keep the lights on in their office buildings and create a false buzz by having a steady stream of applicants.

What's our solution...you just have to keep going...like the song says, "move along move along like I know you could.." because eventually you will hit on one that will give you work.

even if you're at that last eleventh hour..like me, wondering how the rent will get paid.... you learn to light candles and pray really hard and vow never to spend money like crazy and save. We must have hope.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Richard Gets Results in New York, New York

100 months ago

Thanks for your comments. After contacting consumer affairs the agency agreed with me that their ad was false and misleading. They changed the wording and said they'd be glad to work with me again, but that I should deal directly with the owners.

As a former employer of temps through national agencies such as the one you say you work for, we wanted happy employees. What you are ultimately saying is that the client is more important to you than the employee.

Well Consumer Affairs sided with me. So there you have it. It is illegal to run ads that are false and misleading, period.

Maybe you should find another line of work.

-Richard

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

100 months ago

recruiter said: I'm going to try not to get defensive in my response to all of you comments but it's going to be difficult. I am going to make certain assumptions first though. #1 None of you have every worked for an agency internally. You don't know how recruiters are paid (Salary+Commission in my company). If I'm making commission by putting people to work do you really think I'm just going to sit around all day putting up fake job postings to intice people to apply for a job I'm not recruiting on? Not only that, do you think I'm going to bring people in for interviews just to say that I interviewed them. THAT IS A COMPLETE WASTE OF MY TIME AND MONEY!!!
That leads me to assumption #2... You don't know the first thing about running a profitable business. I work for a national company that brought in over $4 Billion last year. You can't turn that type of a profit unless you DO HAVE PLENTY OF POSITIONS AND PUT QUALIFIED PEOPLE IN GREAT CAREERS!!
Which again leads me into my next assumption... You don't know why agencies exist. We do not exist to make sure that people like you have a job. We exist to make sure that our clients have the best quality people to fill their openings. My job is not to make sure that every candidate I talk to gets a job. In fact that's not even close to my job. My job is to screen people out who either do not have the appropriate skills for the position or do not portray an attitude that would represent us well (for example... yours).
My recommendation is to start looking at yourself for why you aren't getting job offers and change you attitude. If you don't want to do that then you may as well buy some more candles because you're going to be left in the dark.
Signed,
Find a job yourself
One other thing, I found work. And I now know the difference between "live job orders" and "open job orders." Do you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Mello in Littleton, Colorado

99 months ago

recruiter said: I'm going to try not to get defensive in my response to all of you comments but it's going to be difficult. I am going to make certain assumptions first though. #1 None of you have every worked for an agency internally. You don't know how recruiters are paid (Salary+Commission in my company). If I'm making commission by putting people to work do you really think I'm just going to sit around all day putting up fake job postings to intice people to apply for a job I'm not recruiting on? Not only that, do you think I'm going to bring people in for interviews just to say that I interviewed them. THAT IS A COMPLETE WASTE OF MY TIME AND MONEY!!!
That leads me to assumption #2... You don't know the first thing about running a profitable business. I work for a national company that brought in over $4 Billion last year. You can't turn that type of a profit unless you DO HAVE PLENTY OF POSITIONS AND PUT QUALIFIED PEOPLE IN GREAT CAREERS!!
Which again leads me into my next assumption... You don't know why agencies exist. We do not exist to make sure that people like you have a job. We exist to make sure that our clients have the best quality people to fill their openings. My job is not to make sure that every candidate I talk to gets a job. In fact that's not even close to my job. My job is to screen people out who either do not have the appropriate skills for the position or do not portray an attitude that would represent us well (for example... yours).
My recommendation is to start looking at yourself for why you aren't getting job offers and change you attitude. If you don't want to do that then you may as well buy some more candles because you're going to be left in the dark.
Signed,
Find a job yourself
BEFORE YOU CAN COMMENT ON ANYTHING, PLEASE RE-READ YOUR COMMENTS. DID A CHID WRITE IT FOR YOU?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

99 months ago

Mello said: BEFORE YOU CAN COMMENT ON ANYTHING, PLEASE RE-READ YOUR COMMENTS. DID A CHID WRITE IT FOR YOU?
I don't understand what you could possibly mean. Let me reiterate, I contacted the Attorney General's Office regarding the advertisements place in The New York Times for a graphics person..The District Attorney referred me to Consumer Affairs. The Consumer Affairs Agency in NYC filed my complaint and then contacted the Temporary Agency Directly. The Temporary Agency's Owner contacted me directly and we discussed the advertisments in The New York Times. She then explained how the temporary market works..and how she had a Live Order for a job with a client, but did not have an Open order. She said that her agency had to perpetually run ads to recruit people so that when the orders came in they could fill them immediately - because there wasn't always time to interview and test an applicant. She agreed that the ad could be misread and together we re-wrote the advertisment. She also said that she was glad I had called her and that should I need any work in the future, I should contact her directly. I am going to write an online article about all of this and include the names of the people I spoke with, because I am NOT making this up. I'm sorry you feel so frustrated about the temp industry.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

99 months ago

The job advertisement doesn't help me, it was more altruistic. I was having the job ad change for other unemployed souls out there who are looking for work. At least this way they'll know prior to going in that it's a recruitment ad. Listen, if you are a poor unemployed soul living on your last unemployment check, and you see the ad, work available immediately, you might take your last few dollars to get in there to make the interview...and then you find out about this "open job order" versus "live job order" thing and you are stuck. You've just spent ten dollars to get in and out of the city for a job that doesn't exist. I don't think most recruiters realize how bad it is out there, how people are literally living "from hand to mouth." Or maybe the point is that they just don't care.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Angel in Colorado Springs, Colorado

99 months ago

Seems to me I have more trouble getting a job due to my last name than getting one (Garcia) ...how come white people are the ones complaining now when they always used to or still do complain about minorities complaining themselves? Ahhh how ironic and great.

www.myspace.com/lonestarscorpio

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Richard in Arlington, Virginia

99 months ago

Angel said: Seems to me I have more trouble getting a job due to my last name than getting one (Garcia) ...how come white people are the ones complaining now when they always used to or still do complain about minorities complaining themselves? Ahhh how ironic and great.
www.myspace.com/lonestarscorpio

What makes you assume that I am white?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Account Manager in Baltimore, Maryland

99 months ago

While there is no doubt that there are some unscrupulous practices out there perpetuated by many staffing agencies and similar organizations, most of these anti-staffing rants are unfounded.

Comments such as "All staffing agencies are liars" and "they need a reason to keep the lights on..." simply aren't true and down right silly.

As the recruiter here points out- these are for profit organizations. I imagine many people joining working for an agency internally, because it parlays both a professional carrer with the philanthropy of helping others. But a very clear line is drawn, and that is that these businesses MUST make money. They only make money by recruiting and placing qualified people. And the only way that they can truly determine whether these people are qualified is to meet them in person. So allthough it may seem like a wasted trip "into the city", it is crucial to the process.

It is understandable frustrations about jobs that are advertised that seem to continuously be unavailable when you call, it is a sad necessary evil in the competitive world of staffing. But I can't help but wonder about these posters who are complaining. It is all to aften an attitude for those that can't help themselves to look for people/organizations/governments to blame. Staffing agencies aren't out to get you. And chances are, if you constantly think that they are- you need to wonder instead why you are "an unemployed soul who is looking for work immediately". Chances are its not an agency that needs to rethink its practices, but you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Richard in Dallas, Texas

99 months ago

Point well taken.

But it is still illegal in the city of NY to run ads that are false and misleading. Open jobs versus Live jobs aside, it is illegal to run these ads. This was not my ruling. This was a ruling by the Labor Laws in NYC. The fact that few of these laws are rarely enforced is part of the problem.

It isn't the applicants fault that an agency can't keep enough qualified people in their pool unless they run false ads. The industry didn't do this kind of thing in the 90s when the economy was better.

Running a false ad is unscrupulous. Period.
And whether or not a trip is necessary into the city - what you fail to realize is that the Consumer Affairs Agency and ultimately the employment agency sided with me. Thusly refuting any of your well meaning diatribe.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

well meaning in Baltimore, Maryland

99 months ago

Well, I think what YOU ultimatly fail to realize is

A. My "well meaning diatribe" wasn't to discredit your supposed "victory" with the consumer affairs agency (which is a mickey mouse version of the Better Business Bureau), but rather to point out how iressponsible all these un founded claims were.

and

B. All the energy, time and effort that you expended fighting against this posting issue is time you could have invested in a job and brought home a paycheck.

....your apparent objective in the first place

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

richard in Dallas, Texas

99 months ago

I found a job, which is why I didn't take Decorum up on their offer to find me work. Sadly I wasn't able to get a job through the agency I was venting against...because during the time I was doing this I ended up finding a job.

The agency was extremely helpful in explaining to me how the business works. I didn't know about live orders versus open orders. It's easier to handle these "interviews" once you realize that if they don't call you for work - or don't have the work, it isn't a personal thing...just the nature of the business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

well meaning in Hanover, Maryland

99 months ago

richard said: I found a job, which is why I didn't take Decorum up on their offer to find me work. Sadly I wasn't able to get a job through the agency I was venting against...because during the time I was doing this I ended up finding a job.
The agency was extremely helpful in explaining to me how the business works. I didn't know about live orders versus open orders. It's easier to handle these "interviews" once you realize that if they don't call you for work - or don't have the work, it isn't a personal thing...just the nature of the business.

The most insightful thought on this thread. Life is much easier to swallow when you seek to understand rather than lash out and blame. I applaud your responsible consumerism.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Technopagan in Dallas, Texas

99 months ago

LB said: What these staffing companies do is plainly advertise for staffing possibilities then meet with clients to stirr up some work. They hold back your pay a bit trying to entice you with bs and the perspective company also. Most of the jobs they advertise for are for lower pay or just don't actually exist. On the professional staffing it is a bit better but somewhat still the same. (75% of their postings are not actual positions available.)

THEN START YOUR OWN STAFFING FIRM AND PUT THE 'BAD ONES' OUT OF THE MARKET?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

nmkuhn in CA in Fresno, California

99 months ago

Angel, quit your bitchin'. When I look around I see about 90% brown skinned brothers on the job. You can rest assured that their names aren't Smith or Jones or even Mtumba. Matter of fact, about as often as not they want you to speak Spanish primarily now too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Fireman in Sterling Heights, Michigan

98 months ago

Lot of repeat jobs are posted on these job sites. Are they real? These head hunters are just that and do they know a qualified person when they get a resume? Looks like if you send it directly to the empoyee if you can you will have a better chance of getting an interview. Some of the requirements on these jobs are out somewhat over sated and if some one has all these qualifications they shuld be president. If you have all the qualifications stated why don't you get the job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

George G Burress in Lenoir City, Tennessee

98 months ago

LB in Sparta, Illinois said: What these staffing companies do is plainly advertise for staffing possibilities then meet with clients to stirr up some work. They hold back your pay a bit trying to entice you with bs and the perspective company also. Most of the jobs they advertise for are for lower pay or just don't actually exist. On the professional staffing it is a bit better but somewhat still the same. (75% of their postings are not actual positions available.)

Spent 1 hr driving out to their office.Spent another hour filling out their paper work giving them my infromation and listening to their pitch. Spent 3 more hrs the next day getting my resume updated and back to them. They called and left a message for me to call them about a sheet metal job opening. I returned their call, talked to the lady and have not heard back yet. Another staffing agency called me and asked me if I was available for a sheet metal job. I said yes, went to work the next day. Aerotek is a fake.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

scott in Chicago, Illinois

95 months ago

FRUSTRATED in Colorado Springs, Colorado said: I agree with you whole-heartily, these companies need to be regulated on their advertising! State’s need to step-in and see that these type of ads do not exist in our papers or on the internet job postings. False advertising of job listing should not be allowed. It gives false hope to those in need of work. Jobs are hard enough to come by, let alone a temporary one. All jobs are becoming low-paid and no more than 32 hours per week. This is so they don’t pay health benefits and any vacation and sick pay. What is worst is the State’s Unemployment Agencies around this country, they are also posting unreal and false employment opportunities. Americans are being ousted by out-of -country workers from low wage countries, and the US government doesn’t even care. They outsource all the high-paying jobs to low-wage countries, and the low-paying jobs left here in the country go to foreign workers (legal or illegal).

YOU ARE CORRECT , THESE AGENCY'S HAVE BECOME A FORM OF TERRORISM ON OUR ECONOMY AND OUR LIVES..THANK GOD FOR MICHEAL MOORE FOR HIS MOVIE SICKO I BELIEVE WITH HIS EFFORTS WE AS A PEOPLE WILL FINALLY GET UNIVERSAL HEALTH INSURANCE AND THESE AGENCY'S WILL HAVE ONE LESS TOOL TO USE TO TERRORISE OUR LIVES..HOPEFULLY MR.MOORE WILL MAKE A MOVIE ABOUT THIS ISSUE..IT'S UP TO US..GO TO HIS WEBSITE AND LET HIM KNOW..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gabrielle Dunham in Kansas City, Missouri

91 months ago

ok I'm newly graduated Medical Assistant, I was contacted by a Staffing Agency I am under contract for 6 weeks I have worked 68 hours in the past 2 weeks and In contract should have been paid weekly every thursday I havent recieved One check from this company and when i've called they said they mailed my check to the wrong address and when its returned they will send it to the right address. I mentioned cancell the check and cut me a new one and that was way out of the question I was told they can not do that.. So I will get my check in the Next 2 weeks or so I've been working for free more or less since Nov 21st What can I do if anything? please help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

julzabro in roseville, Michigan

64 months ago

LB in Sparta, Illinois said: What these staffing companies do is plainly advertise for staffing possibilities then meet with clients to stirr up some work. They hold back your pay a bit trying to entice you with bs and the perspective company also. Most of the jobs they advertise for are for lower pay or just don't actually exist. On the professional staffing it is a bit better but somewhat still the same. (75% of their postings are not actual positions available.)

About 8 months ago my sister and I applied to an Aerotek ad...went and took the test and interviewed. Both of us were told we were perfect matches for the job and would b called asap...never happened. When I moved back to MI, I decided to give Aerotek another shot(considering the lack of other opportunities) On a Friday I drove about 20 minutes to the interview and was promised a job that would start the following Monday if I went and took the drug test...I did and passed...Monday rolled around....nothing. I called and the guy that promised the job was, convieniently, on vacation. I called numerous times after this for about a week or two and finally someone there told me the job never existed!!!! Recently, my husband got a call from Aerotek and, he too, was told he was perfect for the job he applied for and they had him do an over-the-phone interview WITH the supposed company who later told Aerotek that he sounded great! After a few days of not getting a start time, my husband called to ask what the wait was and went thru about a week of excuses and BS! They said that the company loved him and they were just waiting to hear from them. Then it was that there was another guy they interviewed and liked and that they were considering him also but that they may hire both. Then it was that they were on vacation etc etc! Finally, after getting irritated with my husbands FREQUENT calls they told him that the company had decided not to hire!!!! Aerotek and all temp firms r a scam

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

56-hour-weeker in Downers Grove, Illinois

51 months ago

I've been working as a copy editor through Aerotek for the past 8 months. I had no complaints except I never see or hear from them. All they did was sign my checks (after taking their cut, of course). But this year with no warning or explanation, they started paying me less. I don't make a living wage as it is and my whole life is on hold until the place I work at hires me away from Aerotek or I find something better. There aren't many positions for my industry. Aerotek knows I can't afford to quit. All temp agencies do is screw you over. They don't treat you like a human being.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

angela333 in League City, Texas

43 months ago

Wake up call to all people whom seem to be offended by temporary staffing agencies!!!! Just because you fill out an application and/or see a job posting and/or an ad requesting you to fill out applications....Does not mean YOU are the person that will be hired for the job(s)!! When you REGISTER with a temporary staffing company, your allowing them to help you find a job. Almost ALWAYS the ratio of applicants to jobs is largely out numbered by the apllicants. That being said...it is not any fault of the staffing agency if you do not recieve a job. They can only provide so many jobs at any given time and therefore will leave several without a job. It's obsurd to think that anyone working for a staffing agency wants to purposely cause the applicants grief or send out false advertisments. In fact, their job and lively hood (in terms of work) is to HOPEFULLY find YOU a job. If you do not like working with staffing agencies...go find a job yourself. IUn fact, if you are SMART....you will look for a job on your own as well as register with more then ONE staffing agency...to better broaden the chances of finding a job. People amaze me always...they think filling out an application at a staffing agency means they now have a INSTA JOB! Crazy!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

angela333 in League City, Texas said: Wake up call to all people whom seem to be offended by temporary staffing agencies!!!! Just because you fill out an application and/or see a job posting and/or an ad requesting you to fill out applications....Does not mean YOU are the person that will be hired for the job(s)!! When you REGISTER with a temporary staffing company, your allowing them to help you find a job. Almost ALWAYS the ratio of applicants to jobs is largely out numbered by the apllicants. That being said...it is not any fault of the staffing agency if you do not recieve a job. They can only provide so many jobs at any given time and therefore will leave several without a job. It's obsurd to think that anyone working for a staffing agency wants to purposely cause the applicants grief or send out false advertisments. In fact, their job and lively hood (in terms of work) is to HOPEFULLY find YOU a job. If you do not like working with staffing agencies...go find a job yourself. In fact, if you are SMART....you will look for a job on your own as well as register with more than ONE staffing agency...to better broaden the chances of finding a job. People amaze me always...they think filling out an application at a staffing agency means they now have a INSTA JOB! Crazy!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

Oh and one last thing...almost every large job posting site (i.e. careerbuilder) has a regestration for staffing agents....for REAL postings.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bad Mofo in Arlington, Massachusetts

6 months ago

Account Manager in Baltimore, Maryland said: Chances are its not an agency that needs to rethink its practices, but you.

Listen , the perception exists for a reason, and if the perception is widespread there must be some valid reason. What's a fact is that contracting agencies serve to erode protections against discrimination, retaliation and other rights codified in the Fair Employment Act, and quite honestly most of the companies have questionable ethics, the exceptions prove this rule.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.