I FOUND AL MY JOBS IN THE YELLOW PAGES

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

CNC MACHINIST in Oakland, California

102 months ago

Sunnyvale Ca. 50 machine shops I called them all, worked at two.
Santa Clara Ca. 207 machine shops I called them all, worked at, I forgot how many.
San Jose Ca. 200 machine shops I called them all, I forgot how many.
I have worked at 50+ machine shops in 28 years.
I worked at around 30 machine shops in Los Angeles and only
20 in the bay area.
Let your fingers do the walking, but talk to prospective employers on the phone, because some of you can't spell worth spit.
I hope you spell better with G code.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

John Smith in Aliso Viejo, California

102 months ago

CNC MACHINIST said: Sunnyvale Ca. 50 machine shops I called them all, worked at two.
Santa Clara Ca. 207 machine shops I called them all, worked at, I forgot how many.
20 in the bay area.
Let your fingers do the walking, but talk to prospective employers on the phone, because some of you can't spell worth spit.

Wow!
I have a similar case. Been working as a machinist and a toolmaker since 1978. Can't find a job at all. All the agencies call me and ask... Whats the lowest youre willing to take??? What an insult. Walk through any walmart-k mart- toys r us.... Every friggin' box says..... made in china. We are screwing ourselves. Of course, the rich dont care. They wanted a million a year in profit... now they want a million a month. When does it stop? Before, I had good jobs back in the 80's - when you popped open the LA Times and there would be hundreds of ads for machinists and toolmakers and draftsmen etc. But now??? What a joke. I am unemployed more than I am employed. The last 3 jobs I had- I was fired within the 1st week. They treat people like light bulbs- screw them in - use them for a month or so... then Bamm. There is the same ad running again and again and again. Such BS... I spent half a lifetime, training in a skill that dried up and blew away. I dont think it will ever come back. Those nice - decent experimental prototype machinist model shop type jobs are gone forever! Now its simply button pushers. And now, in LA - you have to be hispanic or asian to get a job. It's all about the money
cheap labor- not skilled crafstmen. Forget it ! In the last 3 months... I must have faxed and e-mailed my resume over 400 times.... What is going on? I have delt with Aerotek. Yes, They are full of it. Such liars!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

passing thru in Dallas, Texas

100 months ago

You two guys make more sense than every post I've read.I agree 100%.Companies say they want skilled tradesmen, then they want to pay 7.00/hr.Get real.I have 20 yrs. experience and I don't work for free.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jacob in Gay, Georgia

99 months ago

I'm in the transportation industry and share the same sentiments. I've emailed over 150 companies and only about 10 emailed me back. Most of them say don't call, but yet you wonder why they even have email if they don't read it. It would be a professional courtesy to at least email the person back and say they're not interested.

I'm currently getting a couple of CNC machined parts from China. It's costing me a total of $10.00, and here in the U.S. it'd cost me $450+. What's wrong here? Maybe if we weren't such a materialistic & greedy country, and were more focused on competition rather than abundance, convenience, & money, we'd have better businesses. I think it's true what they say about China owning the U.S. with the national debt. If they decided to call in that debt we'd be screwed. It's best to get your own business if possible, instead of being a slave to some company who can't remember your name and doesn't care about you.

What John said is true. Technology is taking over jobs and we're nothing more but button pushers and programmers. This in turn also makes people weaker & unfulfilled because true talents aren't needed. Uneasy times eh?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

MNtwins in Minneapolis, Minnesota

99 months ago

CNC MACHINIST in Oakland, California said: Sunnyvale Ca. 50 machine shops I called them all, worked at two.
20 in the bay area.

You are much better off using the yellow pages and your own brain than allowing the two-bit huxsters at Areotech try to enslave you! I saw through all thier BS!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Yupetri Catton in Astoria, New York

99 months ago

CNC MACHINIST in Oakland, California said:
20 in the bay area.

In other words, you can't hold a steady job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

kyle in Miamisburg, Ohio

97 months ago

have you guys that are willing to travel tried strom engineering or imac? the jobs are skilled labor and pay high with per diem and usually 20$ and up per hour. just a suggestion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.