You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (14)

Jose in French Camp, California

93 months ago

Same Here

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Felicia in Riverside, California

93 months ago

They definetley suck all of them..If you can hold out get a real job don't waste your freakin time!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Theresa in Knoxville, Tennessee

93 months ago

You have to know how to work for a temp company to do well. I can tell you how the clerical end works: I've been a secretary since 1989 so I have some experience in this field.

Temp pools usually ideally have a few more good workers than good jobs. You have to show that even though you have the same skills as 10 other temps, you are more professional, more dependable, and make their company look better look good by looking good to their clients.

If you do that, the temp company will send you to the assignments they need in order to look good and thus secure more assignments.

Also, the temp pool fluctuates depending on the skills of their sales staff. They have a delicate balancing act between having plenty of staff to draw from while keeping that staff just busy enough to deter them from finding a job elsewhere.

In my experience, and I've done the temp thing 3 times, If you are willing to temp long enough to get a good paying job for your skill levels, it will take about a year and a half of temping to land it.

The first time I did this was for a private publishing corporation that had an internal temp pool.

The second and third time I did this through Randstad. Every permanent job I had since 1990 has been secured through a temp agency. My first job I temped for a year and a half to get and it lasted 5 years until the company closed down, my second job lasted 7 years until I just got burnt out and changed industries, the third job I'm still working for and it's been 1 and 1/2 years and still going strong.

I was trusted enough at the temp agencies that I got to help out in their office. They have a really hard job - I would not want it. I can deal with people but I prefer paper.

If you go in to apply at an agency, I say try to come across as calm, professional, and friendly in an understated way. Unless you get what I call the Sorority Recuriter, then just mirror her in an understated way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Theresa in Knoxville, Tennessee

93 months ago

Oh, and one more thing. A lot of temp companies will send you out on a really sucky assignment for the first 6 months. If you survive the 6 month sucky ordeal and impress the clients, you get elevated to the in-circle because the temp company totally trusts you to do good no matter what. I once had an assignment so bad I'd come home and cry at the end of the day, but I refused to quit it because it was for the company x that I wanted to work for. They remembered me and recommended me to other departments and this is where I eventually landed a great job for 7 years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

anonymouse in Mesquite, Texas

93 months ago

Contemporary Staffing is the worst agency! They were so rude and the people working there were like close to my age and complete idiots! I could do their job 10x better!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joy Ann LaJeret

92 months ago

I have worked for several temporary agencies in the Seattle, WA area. The game they play is a hard one to beat. In order to get a job in Seattle one is almost forced to go through a temp agency. My husband was laid off from a top billed aerospace company after ten years of working there. He went from 19.00 per hour to $12.00. After nine months of trying direct hire, he finally succumbed and went through an agency. He needed at least 14.oo an hour to survive, but got a job at 11.00 an hour. He has worked there almost three years and has only been raised to $12.00 an hour.
So how are these agencies getting away with this? No law suits, no protections!. They get to the ads before you do and then force you to go through them, at a lower wage then you need to live. Interesting? Stay tuned! P.S. I have a masters degree and cannot get employment in this area for more then 12.00 an hour so far. Incidentally, I am a student getting another AA degree! Go Figure!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Joy Ann LaJeret

92 months ago

Post Script

Incidentally, please ignore the grammer mistakes etc. I didn't have spell and grammer check on this email.

One more thing, it takes over a year to figure out the process of a direct hire. I have put in over a thousand applications and have not received the responses I need. Yes, I have taken classes on resume and letter writing etc.

My hypothesis is this: Temporary agencies help employers without unions keep wages low and enable them to pay greater wages to upper level management. Anyone want to test this one? It would make a great doctoral thesis! Last I heard, upper management makes circa 400 times the wages of the average laborer in their corporation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Christopher Dennis in Minneapolis, Minnesota

91 months ago

nevermind in Kansas City, Missouri said: all temp angecies suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have applied with several temp agencies and I just found out when I did a check in with one company {express personnel} that they have not even checked out my references yet! It has been 2 monthes! what the #%&^ have they been doing? I am fed up, now I have to contact them all and get nasty and find out what's going on. Temp agencies should be illegal.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

scott in Chicago, Illinois

88 months ago

Let's ask ourselves this question ,
Is there so little work out there that we need agency's to find it.I DON'T THINK SO...ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS INVEST 1.50 EVERY SUNDAY A BUY THIS THING WE CALL A NEWSPAPER ,THEN GO TO THE CLASSIFIED SECTION ..IT'S BETTER THEN GIVING YOUR EARNINGS TO A BUNCH OF VAMPIRES THAT CAN'T SEEM TO FIND A BETTER JOB THAN SITTING IN A OFFICE AND GETTING PAID FOR THE WORK THAT YOU ARE DOING...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

scott in Chicago, Illinois

88 months ago

Christopher Dennis in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: I have applied with several temp agencies and I just found out when I did a check in with one company {express personnel} that they have not even checked out my references yet! It has been 2 monthes! what the #%&^ have they been doing? I am fed up, now I have to contact them all and get nasty and find out what's going on. Temp agencies should be illegal.

THEY SHOULD BE ILLEGAL , JUST LIKE HEALTH INSURANCE COMPANY'S..WE SHOULD ALL CONTACT MICHEAL MOORE A ASK HIM TO MAKE A MOVIE ABOUT THIS.........

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Joy Ann LaJeret in Redmond, Washington

82 months ago

9 months ago, I made some comments regarding temporary agencies in the Seattle, WA area. Since then, I have found work through a few temp agencies and have a newer perspective to share. I still believe temp agencies help to keep wages low. However, I have encountered some positives as well. They do help you "try on" a new job" for a few months to help the candidate decide whether it is a "good fit." Many agencies try to give the best service to the client, as well as meeting the needs of the candidate. So, after 9 months of working with some top agencies, I see room for improvement regarding wages, the way candidates are chosen and business integrity and ethics. For those that have worked with me, all but one bad news!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Joy Ann LaJeret in Redmond, Washington

82 months ago

Joy Ann LaJeret in Redmond, Washington said: 9 months ago, I made some comments regarding temporary agencies in the Seattle, WA area. Since then, I have found work through a few temp agencies and have a newer perspective to share. I still believe temp agencies help to keep wages low. However, I have encountered some positives as well. They do help you "try on" a new job" for a few months to help the candidate decide whether it is a "good fit." Many agencies try to give the best service to the client, as well as meeting the needs of the candidate. So, after 9 months of working with some top agencies, I see room for improvement regarding wages, the way candidates are chosen and business integrity and ethics. For those that have worked with me, all were very good; but, only one was bad news!
I have corrected this last statement. The agencies I worked with were very good, except for one...it was bad news!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

gee718 in Washington, District of Columbia

77 months ago

I have been temping since 1985 in the dc area. Back then, there were reputable temp/ staffing agencies. Since extending contracts temp/staffing agencies, temp help has gone to hell. You have crooks and theives how have mastered how to win a millions of dollar contracts, without have one employee ready to work on the contract, once awarded. The temp agency rep calls or either visits the local unemployment office and hires people on-the-spot. The only qualifications needed at that time is a willingness to work!The worst place to work on an assignment is the federal government. The mind set of most federal employees are disturbing and dangerous for the highly skilled temp worker. You are forced to work along with disgrunteled, unprofessional, noisey, government slackers. The supervisors are fed up with their behavior, so they get temp to do the job and find out whay is really wrong with their government employee. They use the temp employee to do the slackers work, while the slacker stay employed and getting paid. The slacker makes your day a living hell. The temp company is only concerned about billing the government for your services. Temping has definitely gone to the dogs! It does not matter how qualified, professional, polished, and seasoned you are, the temp agency will let you go, than risk losing a dollar from their contract. I can tell you some personal stories from my career of temping.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

gee718 in Washington, District of Columbia

77 months ago

anonymouse in Mesquite, Texas said: Contemporary Staffing is the worst agency! They were so rude and the people working there were like close to my age and complete idiots! I could do their job 10x better!

Staffing firms are suppose to have short-term and long-term assignments available when you sign-up. They know of current and up-coming job openings. As long as you have the skills to do the job, you should be a good canidate. This is not always true. It depends on the temp agency, their client's situation, and the temp employee's skills. If the temp agency knows that their client is in a tight spot, they will send a highly qualified employee just to get that client out of the fire. The client wants to keep the temp employee, but the temp agency hits them with a cost that they really don't want to pay. So the negotiating begins. The client will give the temp agency the extra money that should have went to the temp employee's higher salary. Then the temp employee convenience the employee to take the job at a lower salary, and telling them that they will receive and increase in 30, 60, 90 days. It is a really crooked business. If you are not in dire need for a job, and can wait six to nine months for the hiring process, then go for it. But, if you need employment NOW, temping use to be the way. Now we have what is called contracts. They require that you work the length of the contract, but they can stop you from working the length of the contract. The whole temp/staffing/contract business is nothing more than a big sham.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.