This company is not helping the average worker.....

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

Senior Citizen in Atlanta, Georgia

87 months ago

Dan in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: This placement agency along with the many others that have sprouted up in the last 10 years, are the worst thing that could have happened to the working class of this country.

This is no newbie agency. Aerotek is one of the largest there is and I personally worked for them 25 years ago when they were new.

They also are not for the average working class as they specialize in aerospace and military contract staffing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Dan in Minneapolis, Minnesota

87 months ago

Senior Citizen in Atlanta, Georgia said: This is no newbie agency. Aerotek is one of the largest there is and I personally worked for them 25 years ago when they were new..

My point is they are like the other staffing agencies, new or old, that have appeared in the last 10 years. The reults are a lower wage base and deteriorating benefits due to lack of commitment from the employers. Anyone who has been actively seeking employment from time to time since the late 90's can attest to this. 10 Years ago you could be legitimately hired off the street.

They also are not for the average working class as they specialize in aerospace and military contract staffing.

Have you walked into an Aerotek office recently? I believe you are mistaken. Aerotek isn't quite that specialized. Maybe 25 years ago when you contracted throught them they were, but now they fill ANY job.

I found an article on this exact subject. Interesting.

"At best, many workers became "permatemps," that is, workers who are, for all practical purposes, permanently employed but are laundered through a temp agency to a business client. This situation tends to leave workers with no job security, and they are seldom provided the same level of benefits as regular employees. According to The American Prospect, temporary workers between the ages of 20 and 34 earn around 16 percent less than their peers who are regular employees doing the same work. Despite employment agencies touting available employee benefits, only 5 percent of this group is covered by employer-provided health insurance. In all, less than one in five temporary workers receives regular benefits such as health insurance coverage."

And this is my point. The wages and benefits are substandard and it is all for the profiteering of the agency and the cost cutting tactics of greedy employers. The government should be regulating this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Call me Charlie in Louisville, Kentucky

87 months ago

I thought most temp jobs wer e"temp to Perm" were you are afforded the oportunity to be a regular employee after three months or so.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Dan in Minneapolis, Minnesota

87 months ago

Call me Charlie in Louisville, Kentucky said: I thought most temp jobs wer e"temp to Perm" were you are afforded the oportunity to be a regular employee after three months or so.

At the companies discretion. If you remember the way it worked in the early 90's, employers would hire direct, place you on a 90 day probationary period and then determine your permanent status. Now, they pick from a neverending pool of temporary candidates. Have I used temp agencies? Yes, and from time to time in pans out into permanent employment, but the companies can string you along with no benefits or pay increases for substantial amounts of time and it is that situation that I feel is detrimental to the overall health of the working class in this country. Why else would a company pay substantially more to a employment agency than they do in real wages to the employee? The agency does little for the employee and elimates future unemployment benefits should you be released before becoming a permanent employee. Like I said, it's a win-win situation for the employer and the agency, but the worker doesn't get anything in return except the short term employment that has no job security.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

MNtwins in Minneapolis, Minnesota

87 months ago

Dan in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: This placement agency along with the many others that have sprouted up in the last 10 years, are the worst thing that could have happened to the working class of this country. They have now created a situation where the actual employer doesn't have to committ to the "contracted employee" that is working for them. So no affordable benefits, vacation time, sick pay, pay raises or even work comp is provided by the company you work for. Aerotek instead offers you their crappy and expensive benefit package and they make money off of your hard work in the process. Aerotek wins, the company that your "contracted" with wins and you as the employee LOSE big time. I hope this trend reverses, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

I agree. Its staffing agencys that capitalize on a prospective employees desparation. They exploit these people and drive wages into the ground.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Baltimore, Maryland

85 months ago

The reality is that most staffing agency contracts (on the Commercial side) are set on a 'markup'- not a definitive billing rate. It actually makes more sense to drive the labor rate as high as possible. The result - a higher billing rate and a better chance the contractor will 'stick' long term.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Wilmington, Delaware

85 months ago

Dan in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: This placement agency along with the many others that have sprouted up in the last 10 years, are the worst thing that could have happened to the working class of this country. They have now created a situation where the actual employer doesn't have to committ to the "contracted employee" that is working for them. So no affordable benefits, vacation time, sick pay, pay raises or even work comp is provided by the company you work for. Aerotek instead offers you their crappy and expensive benefit package and they make money off of your hard work in the process. Aerotek wins, the company that your "contracted" with wins and you as the employee LOSE big time. I hope this trend reverses, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Actually, the Temps at Amazon.com made more than those of us regular employees. If hired, they took a pay-cut. Of course, they also recieved benefits after 30 days.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Skilled Trades Recruiter in Charlotte, North Carolina

85 months ago

The majority of my trades people's hourly rates are as high if not higher than my client's employees. We offer full benefits; however it's rare that any of our employees actually sign up for them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Ms Howe in Columbus, Ohio

84 months ago

After over 21 years of always being able to find a new job or company to work for. I have come to an impasse. I have worked now for more that one year with no health care, and no job security. I have worked with Aerotek in the recent past and have discoverd that they do not pay well or honor commitments to their employees.

Agencies such as this are cropping up around the country, passing off good employees as disposable. There are benefits to the agency and the employer using the services but, benefits to the worker is minimal at best.

Getting locked into the cycle of Agency employment is like getting locked into the cycle of cash advance places. You do it to meet a quick need but discover that you have paid too high a price and have to keep paying that price to maintain keeping your head above water.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer Gonzales in Sidney, Ohio

70 months ago

I just wanted to say a couple things about staffing agencies in general. I never understood why anyone would want to use a staffing agency and pay out the extra money, etc., but now that I work through one it makes sense.

Companies use staffing agencies because #1, they may not have a Human Resource department, and they don't want to deal with the hassell of advertising a job, getting all the resumes/applications, and then interviewing to find the ideal candidate...it's a pain in the rear. #2, most accidents happen to new workers, and each time someone gets hurt, that companies insurance skyrockets-and it stays high for years afterwards. When the employees are through a staffing agency they are covered under the staffing agencys' insurance. #3 don't you just hate it when you go through the entire hiring process, and then the damn employee works one day and quits? They work half a day, and at lunch time, "This sucks, Byyyyyyyyeeeee!" I know I've done it...ha ha.

Lastly, I don't know if this applies to every agency, but at least where I work, we do not dip into the employees pay. If the permanent employees make $8 an hour, so do our employees. We charge, for instance, a 32% markup rate, and the company pays us the $8 for the employee, plus an extra 32% for ourselves. Which is like an additional $4. And honestly, it isn't really that much, not when you do all the hiring, payroll, workers compensation, etc. etc. But you know, where you can make a little money someone is gonna want to do it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Richard Sierra in Manhattan Beach, California

70 months ago

i actually own a small staffin agency and find that all of the above comments are very helpful in making my company better. Are billing rates are based on the employee pay rate - the more the employee makes, the more we make. One question, does Aerotek carry workmans comp? If not - then who is?

Plus - we are currently working on a new type of staffing agency. One that will better service the employeer and employee - to basically cut the traditional staffing agency out of the picture and keep cost down for the employeer. Does that make sense to anybody?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.