I am a fairly new recruiter at Aerotek and I am a bit worried...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (29)

All-Star Recruiter in Newark, New Jersey

75 months ago

I started at Aerotek in one of their NJ offices pretty recently and I like it so far. However I am here just long enough to see some of the underhanded shady stuff that is happening here in this office. Supervisors getting caught drinking on the job and then turning around and making stuff up about other colleagues to save their own butts. Girls cheating on their significant others and getting caught!! But believe me trying to do whatever they can to cover it up. And to top it all off, it seems as if the Head Aerotek Mgr. knows its all going on or is truly an idiot. Another example, tenured account supervisors trying to push new people out of clients they already established. Its eally scary because I like working here and from the surface people seem really nice. However I dont know what to do? Is this how corporate America is? Is this just an Aerotek thing? Do I say something to my Branch Manager or will I get fired and blackmailed? Or have things made up about me? Does anyone have any advice as to what I should do?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (69) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Zoe Stein in Somewhere

72 months ago

GET OUT QUICK!!! I worked there for 1.5 years and believe me this is not the way to do business. I assure you that you need to leave. This is Aerotek. This is the way they conduct themselves and they are not respected in the industry. The sooner you can find something else the happier you will be.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

extek in North Hollywood, California

72 months ago

guys i used to work at tek....can we chat offline?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Zoe Stein in Somewhere

71 months ago

extek in North Hollywood, California said: guys i used to work at tek....can we chat offline?

Sorry I haven't really checked this in a while. If you would like to talk my email address is followyourbliss@luckymail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Ctown Former Atek in Cleveland, Ohio

70 months ago

glad to see my experiences in the Cleveland office were not isolated

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

recruit now in Naples, Florida

70 months ago

I worked for Aerotek for about 1.5 years. I will say that I made some great friends there and gained some good experience. That said, they completely take advantage of their employees and function as a cult. I don't know if they still do this, but no other company I've worked for or any of my friends has worked for requires their employees to put personal information in their weekly reports. They pay substantially lower commissions than anyone else and over work you. They often pass over more qualified people for promotions. Turnover is very high. I would say that you can learn some good recruiting fundamentals there, but I would not make that company a career. Don't stay longer than a year. They are known to sometimes encourage unethical business practices to close a deal. I do think that the behavior you are noticing in your office is over the top and I would report it to the corporate office annonymously.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Chris in San Mateo, California

70 months ago

Ctown Former Atek in Cleveland, Ohio said: glad to see my experiences in the Cleveland office were not isolated

Hey Ctown,

I have a question regarding pay as a contractor. I'm currently working at a biotech company right now in south san francisco and my recruiter basically found the position for me there. Before accepting the job, I knew the dude from Aerotek was basically lowballing me, but I figured i'd be able to stay at my current company for about six months and then get hired as full time. Now that my contract is almost up, I want to negotiate for a higher wage. Now first question I have is, is it true that Aerotek roughly makes 45% of the amount that my biotech company is willing to pay for me (that is, I take 55% of the pie)? The second question is, if I do negotiate, what amount should I be negotiating the raise for? (I was working as a contractor for a year before starting this job that I've been working for almost six months). Thanks man.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

johndoe5 in Los Angeles, California

70 months ago

Hello Chris,

I should be able to help you. I was at aerotek as a recruiter for 3 years and a manager/sales for 1.5. 50% markup is the industry standard and will go up or down depending on skill sets, durations of contracts, amount of business coming from client, ect. Aerotek pays workers comp, unemployment ect...you have to understand that it cost a company much more to hire someone then just their wage. If/when you get perm it cant help to ask for a raise, my advice would be to sit down with you manager and explain why you deserve one...and be specific.

Good luck, -A

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Chris in San Mateo, California

70 months ago

johndoe5 in Los Angeles, California said: Chris,
Well, you do have a great angle you could take. This may sound bad but don’t take it personally…its business. Aerotek made their money off you and they will want to keep you happy. There are two ways they will pay out a raise and one is they will not change the bill rate to the client but still give you and they will take the hit. The other is they can go to the client and say would you approve a higher bill rate for us to give Chris a raise. Lastly, they could each go 50-50 (i.e. $2 raise = $1 higher bill rate and aerotek $1 from revenue. I know that was three ways.

Again, good luck. -A
I lack writing skills, forgive me.

John,

Thanks for the info. It's encouraging to know that it's very possible to bump up my raise. The strategy that I'm planning to employ is to state that I've been offered ~$30/hr at another company perm with benefits. I'm planning to give the guy a chance to give me a counter, and if they give me say, 26 (vs 25) I'll say I want a bit more. If the guy refuses to bump it more than 28, but say he'll only give 27, then I'll say, I'll take it! and continue my employment at my current company. Do you think that's a sound strategy? My take on this is that if I lose the job, nobody wins (aerotek, agency, and myself). But everyone wins if I still work there.

I've considered your strategy, but I feel that gives the guy too much room to dictate the negotiation. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

johndoe5 in Los Angeles, California

70 months ago

Chris in San Mateo, California said: John,

Thanks for the info. It's encouraging to know that it's very possible to bump up my raise. The strategy that I'm planning to employ is to state that I've been offered ~$30/hr at another company perm with benefits. I'm planning to give the guy a chance to give me a counter, and if they give me say, 26 (vs 25) I'll say I want a bit more. If the guy refuses to bump it more than 28, but say he'll only give 27, then I'll say, I'll take it! and continue my employment at my current company. Do you think that's a sound strategy? My take on this is that if I lose the job, nobody wins (aerotek, agency, and myself). But everyone wins if I still work there.

I've considered your strategy, but I feel that gives the guy too much room to dictate the negotiation. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Okay, you want to play the other option card. not bad, that works very well. let me know how it works out.

Best regards, -A

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Berkeley, California

30 months ago

The short answer is that I did not trust my recruiter. It sounds like you're genuine and willing to help your clients/recruitees, so maybe there are honest folks there. Thank you for your time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Chel in Bloomington, Indiana

30 months ago

Hi Ruba,

I just recently went through the interview process at Aerotek, and I'm going in next week for a "half-day" to sit with recruiters and account managers, to make sure it's a good fit for me. I have been doing a lot of research on this company, and I've came across quite a few negative posts, but they were all from more than 2 years ago. A lot of things can change in this amount of time, and I know they recently went public that they were focusing more on diversity. I would like to know more about your experience, and if anyone else has seen a change in their experiences. I want to make sure this is a great fit for me.

Thanks so much!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tracey in Loma Linda, California

26 months ago

Ruba in San Mateo, California said: Downside: long hours. But they are more bearable when you love your job (like me!) It's not for everyone though, and a negative attitude will kill your sales career anywhere you go.

Quick question: my husband got a call from Aerotek for a Recruiter position. He has about 5 years experience in sales. I'm curious about the long hours? He's a very hard worker, especially if he enjoys what he does, but there has to be some work/life balance. What's a typical day like (start/stop + emails and calls at home)?

Thanks,
Tracey

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ruba again! in San Bruno, California

26 months ago

Tracey in Loma Linda, California said:

7:30 to 5:30 are the core hours...expect to do more early on. Calls/emails on the weekends are by choice. I don't do it all the time but I will clean up my inbox on the weekends. Most sales professionals know not to do that during prime phone calling time. I'll stay late and make calls a few days a week but I don't have to...I do like that if I want a raise, I can just put some more people to work and give myself one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tracey in Loma Linda, California

26 months ago

I appreciate the positive feedback. I am in sales myself full-time, working salary + bonuses in the beer industry. I really enjoy that if I want to work hard, I'll be rewarded for it, but there is a major company initiative for work/life balance. I think a lot of people that post on here and don't like working in a "quota" environment just aren't cut out for sales.

So that's 10 hours/day for a starting salary of $39? Not too good really, especially if you have a good sales background like my husband does. Can they start you out at higher based on your experience? Also, what is the potential for commissions in the first year (on top of salary)?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ruba again! in San Bruno, California

26 months ago

Those are great questions to have your husband ask the person who called. We are forthcoming with all info like this. You can average it out---Generally first year or two is a learning curve, even with a sales background. By 3-4th year, it's reasonable to make six figures for strong performers and it goes up from there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Marchand in Troy, Alabama

26 months ago

I am new to the recruiting field and I need to know how to land new client accounts for my company. I have tried the call every business in town routine and that didn't work. I have posts out there on the web and so far nothing. Any advise?

Ruba in Redwood City, California

26 months ago

Marchand in Troy, Alabama said: I am new to the recruiting field and I need to know how to land new client accounts for my company. I have tried the call every business in town routine and that didn't work. I have posts out there on the web and so far nothing. Any advise?

Oh boy, that's a very, very big topic. My recommendation is to find a mentor or someone who can train you on staffing sales cycles. The Accidental Salesperson is a good book to get you started with the basics.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Disappointed in New Jersey in Trenton, New Jersey

24 months ago

I am very disappointed in my Aerotek Office located in New Jersey. I was told I had 3-4 vacation days. I used the vacaton days that were told to me by a representative at Aerotek. That person no longer works at the office, and now I am told by yet anotehr representative that Aerotek gave me too many vacation days! I now have to make up the extra vacation days until I can earn more! This is Aeroteks fault, not mine. They admitted it was their fault. So why should I have to make good on the extra vacations days?? This is shady practice on their part. Has anyone else experienced the same?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

FL employer

23 months ago

Corporate America, yes. I worked in the Jacksonville, FL office and enjoyed my time there. Great people. I had to move and that was the only reason I left. You have to work hard for them, but it pays off in the long run. I made great money! Our office seemed very honest and eveyone was helpful and plenty of support. Each office may be different though..It's a man's world and seems hard for females to move up the ladder. But, that is most companies, which is too bad.

All-Star Recruiter in Newark, New Jersey said: I started at Aerotek in one of their NJ offices pretty recently and I like it so far. However I am here just long enough to see some of the underhanded shady stuff that is happening here in this office. Supervisors getting caught drinking on the job and then turning around and making stuff up about other colleagues to save their own butts. Girls cheating on their significant others and getting caught!! But believe me trying to do whatever they can to cover it up. And to top it all off, it seems as if the Head Aerotek Mgr. knows its all going on or is truly an idiot. Another example, tenured account supervisors trying to push new people out of clients they already established. Its eally scary because I like working here and from the surface people seem really nice. However I dont know what to do? Is this how corporate America is? Is this just an Aerotek thing? Do I say something to my Branch Manager or will I get fired and blackmailed? Or have things made up about me? Does anyone have any advice as to what I should do?

Pcris in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

19 months ago

Does anyone know if Aerotek uses outside recruiters, or is it strictly internal recruiters to find the positions? Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Brando

18 months ago

Being that aerotek almost always pays less than its competitors for contract jobs I have to ask this... There is a current position lets say in California paying $25 hr and $26 ot Aerotek does this a lot in California. I receive calls all week about jobs in Ca from them, when I ask why they aren't paying time and a half on the ot they seem to be bothered. Unless you're an actual 1099 then California labor law applies. Also why is Aerotek the only company (in my experience) that taxes approx 75% of your wage when it is supposed to be minimum wage as dictated by the federal gsa standard which varies from county and state. There are tons of current examples on jsfirm as I type this. Worse yet, I have coworkers with the same job title who work for Aerotek making $3 less an hr, very competitve indeed.

ToBoeingOrNotToBoeing in Seattle, Washington

18 months ago

All-Star Recruiter in Newark, New Jersey said: I started at Aerotek in one of their NJ offices pretty recently and I like it so far. However I am here just long enough to see some of the underhanded shady stuff that is happening here in this office. Supervisors getting caught drinking on the job and then turning around and making stuff up about other colleagues to save their own butts. Girls cheating on their significant others and getting caught!! But believe me trying to do whatever they can to cover it up. And to top it all off, it seems as if the Head Aerotek Mgr. knows its all going on or is truly an idiot. Another example, tenured account supervisors trying to push new people out of clients they already established. Its eally scary because I like working here and from the surface people seem really nice. However I dont know what to do? Is this how corporate America is? Is this just an Aerotek thing? Do I say something to my Branch Manager or will I get fired and blackmailed? Or have things made up about me? Does anyone have any advice as to what I should do?

Welcome to the real world. The majority of people follow the rules and will be decent enough in life. But underneath it all we're animals and everyone has their own agenda. And most feel like, if they don't get caught and it's not illegal, they're going to do what suits their agenda. You'll find this out ANYWHERE in life, be it work, school, church or wherever. You're hopefully less likely to see it in church or with high caliber friends. But believe me, most people will ultimately do what suits them and their desires. Whatever their current 'addiction' is, whether it's gossiping, lying, consuming in one form or another, etc. etc., most people are just little kids in big bodies who never grow up. It's really refreshing when you're around someone who has ostensibly transcended said paradigm. Most live their whole lives in this hamster wheel of mousehood.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ToBoeingOrNotToBoeing in Seattle, Washington

18 months ago

I think I sounded a bit like Ebeneezer Scrooge there. ;)

Btw, I heard Aerotek's recruiters are actually temp workers from Kelly Clerical Services. ;)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

twoamw1908 in Oakland, California

14 months ago

Carter in Whittier, California said: Jersey...I've been working for Aerotek in the West going on 8 years now, sales 6 of those years. I'm not here to tell you our company is the best thing since sliced bread as you would be an ignorant fool to say so. What I will say is that no matter where you work you need to be willing to stand up and speak your mind. There's to many people in this world that run from challenges or duck responsibility...don't be that person. What I can confidently tell you is that if you want to earn a good living, challenge yourself and grow from a business perspective Aerotek is a good company to do those things. What's its going to require is that you get involved, work hard, take ownership and remove yourself from the gossip mill.

Aerotek isn't the best company ever, but it's a good one or else I wouldn't have given it 8 years of my career. Talk to your DBO but make sure you "understand before being understood.". Knowledge is in the data you have at your disposal and leaders bring solutions to the table, followers continue to complain about things while lacking ownership. Done with my soapbox, hit me up if you want to chat off line...

Hi Carter,
I have an interview with Aerotek for recruiter sales position in the bay area. The posting said 53k plus uncapped commission. Based on your experience, is the salary negotiable? Also, what to expect during the interview and how can I impress the recruiter manager and director to land the job? Thank you in advance.

14 months ago

guest in San Francisco, California said: You won't make 53K at Aerotek.

You will work for about a month and then get laid off due to lack of production.

How do you know this? Do you even work Aerotek?! Your input seems invalid!

14 months ago

I didn't say I didn't have recruiting experience or was a recruiter in the past. Also how do you know Recruiter at Aerotek don't make 53k?

twoamw1908 in San Leandro, California

14 months ago

Thank you for your input..but you give me no reason to believe you. Now if you worked there or currently working there then your input may carry value. Again thanks for your time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

HJRicci316 in Winslow, New Jersey

12 months ago

ToBoeingOrNotToBoeing in Seattle, Washington said: Welcome to the real world. The majority of people follow the rules and will be decent enough in life. But underneath it all we're animals and everyone has their own agenda. And most feel like, if they don't get caught and it's not illegal, they're going to do what suits their agenda. You'll find this out ANYWHERE in life, be it work, school, church or wherever. You're hopefully less likely to see it in church or with high caliber friends. But believe me, most people will ultimately do what suits them and their desires. Whatever their current 'addiction' is, whether it's gossiping, lying, consuming in one form or another, etc. etc., most people are just little kids in big bodies who never grow up. It's really refreshing when you're around someone who has ostensibly transcended said paradigm. Most live their whole lives in this hamster wheel of mousehood.

I've worked many different jobs in my life all over the world and could'nt agree with "YOU" more strongly! ! ! !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.