What's the company culture at Aetna?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (18)

Host

Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Aetna?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Aetna?

Reply - Report abuse

may B in Gwynedd Valley, Pennsylvania

86 months ago

AETNA is a good company to work for if you can toe the line.

Higher level thinkers need not apply; mgt sees you as a cog in their financial wheel!

If you are creative, START YOUR OWN BUSINESS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Hmmmm in Phoenix, Arizona

86 months ago

You have GOT to see what their benefits package is...really bottom of the barrel stuff. More like the old basic/major medical "bare bones" plans! Check it out: www.aetna.com/working/assets/2007_benefits_and_rates_at_glance.pdf

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

unknown in Minneapolis, Minnesota

86 months ago

I am a current employee at aetna and actually on here looking for another job. First of all you should not think for yourself. Free thinking is not allowed, and if you are intellegent and show it you will be basically thrown aside. They are looking for poeple whom keep their mouth shut, do not come up with ideas, and agree with everything that is said.

You say one negative thing to the wrong person and its all over the place. The Minnetonka location is run by a clique of people.. when you are in you are in but once you get out watch out. management does not respond to emial, half the time you cannot find your manager if you need them.. not even sure what management does. if you are quiet, softspoken and meek you will get far in this company.. but as the first poster said if you have any sort of brain you wont make it.

The company is run on "AETNA VALUES" which dont apply to anything. The insurance benifits are horrible, chances for advancement slim to none. This is how the Minnesota location is ran i cant say anything about the other locations but from what i see its pretty much the same.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

EX....marks the spot

86 months ago

my supervisor was great... he deserves better! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

EX....marks theee spot

86 months ago

I would like to see Michael Moore do a take on AETNA employees.. ex AETNA employees...in fact the entire insurance industy's employees.

AETNA needs inovation, new blood...investors that are interested in the employees who enhance the company and are truly rewarded for it.
When I worked there, I had a lot of great clients who were very appreciative of my candor and honesty as well as my tenacity in getting them what they needed. As well, I had no problem identifying how AETNA was not meeting the needs of the members. I also had solutions! However, when I really needed them to back me and help me..due to a health issue,it wasnt in the budget. I was able to turn many situations into good ones.. you would think that that mattered?
Good companies are hard to find! Profit and non-profit organizations are only concerned with the bottom line. Employee retention is at the BOTTOM of the priority list. We live in a sad state of affairs... and big money.. like AETNA could do a lot for the moral, welfare and positive attitutes in the public sector as well as their employee group. It would trickle down and make the businesses sweeter and a better place to work. However, this was not the case and will take an ingenious CEO and CFO and Board of Directors to truly present honesty and integrity...not just in their words, 'THE AETNA WAY'., but in the actions as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Unknown in Atlanta, Georgia

86 months ago

Host said: Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Aetna?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Aetna?

The typical day in the life of an Aetna employee is survival of the fitest. You need to wear shark repellant clothes Monday thru Friday. It's business casual Monday thru Thursday, Friday looks like everyone goes to the beach. No Friday Happy hours or get togethers, just wondering if the job will be there on Monday, and happy that you didn't get eaten alive by the corporate Aetna sharks!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Someone Important in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

85 months ago

Shhh..Can't tell in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: I work for the Plantation office and can tell you that Aetna is not the place to work. As the other's have stated, the insurance is horrible! How do you work for the "top" insurance company in the world and have the crappiest health insurance??? We have people actually going into debt and collect agencies after us because the pay is so low and the insurance we have to pay out of pocket doesn't equal to what we make.

As far as advancement, forget it. It's all about who you know or who you clique with and I agree...the more quiet you are, the further your go because they do like people thinking for themselves. I am trying so hard to get out of there!

Can I ask what you do for their company? If thats not to much, because I'm actually interested in their company and I've heard good news until today but their is always two sides to a story and I haven't heard the other side so is it worth apply for the company or what????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

better later in California

81 months ago

It is refreshing and nice to read a positive note about Aetna, not sure if it is this site or not! But seems as though a lot of people are bored with their lives which happen to contain Aetna in them. I am considering returning to the insurance world and relocating. So happens that Aetna is hiring for my old position in the city I am moving to - I looking forward to an interview if they still find me appealing...curious to know what other health care companies you have worked for an why you left?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Wondering in Dallas, Texas

79 months ago

Hi Lawrence, how is your job search? Did you start working for Aetna? I've worked for and interviewed with other health insurance companies and of course a red flag would be if their front people (HR, Recruiters, etc) were NOT courteous and professional. It's what happens once you get the job and are past training; that is where the comments about a company are most useful. It's like a first date, most people will be on their P&Q's to make a good first impression, but it's after they've relaxed and gotten used to you that you see the real deal about the environment and conditions.

So if you have gotten the job, how is it going now. What area of Aetna do you work?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Stuff in Brooklyn, New York

63 months ago

unknown in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: I am a current employee at aetna and actually on here looking for another job. First of all you should not think for yourself. Free thinking is not allowed, and if you are intellegent and show it you will be basically thrown aside. They are looking for poeple whom keep their mouth shut, do not come up with ideas, and agree with everything that is said.

You say one negative thing to the wrong person and its all over the place. The Minnetonka location is run by a clique of people.. when you are in you are in but once you get out watch out. management does not respond to emial, half the time you cannot find your manager if you need them.. not even sure what management does. if you are quiet, softspoken and meek you will get far in this company.. but as the first poster said if you have any sort of brain you wont make it.

The company is run on "AETNA VALUES" which dont apply to anything. The insurance benifits are horrible, chances for advancement slim to none. This is how the Minnesota location is ran i cant say anything about the other locations but from what i see its pretty much the same.

I also Worked at aetna and these are true statements.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

dlnagold in Naperville, Illinois

61 months ago

I worked at Aetna for a little over 3 years and was a part of the December 2008 layoffs. I have now had a chance to think about the situation and cool down. Here is the deal. If you are hired on to Aetna, it may not be a bad place to work; however, if you are a part of an acquisition or a buyout and are mid level or higher, beware, Aetna is a bad place to work. The corporate people know more than you and they are out to get you removed, as they are very insecure about themselves and their jobs. There is poor communication, and everyone has secrets and will stab you in the back. It really does not matter how good you are at your job, or how happy your direct reports are, as you still stand a chance to be the victim of the bean counters of this for profit public company, what is best for the business/policy holders really does not matter, it is all about what is best for the short term stock holders. This will be proven if and when Aetna sells its PBM unit. If Aetna really cared about health outcomes and saving member/patient money, the best thing they could do would be to keep this business unit, as it saves the members dollars by controlling the costs of medications, both on the medical side (via Specialty Pharmacy), and the Pharmacy side (via the mail order business). It is a short term smart move to dump this business unit, as the revenue is outstanding and they can demand high dollars; however, if you are concerned about the long term, this business unit really saves costs and saves the members/plans/customers a great deal of money which can lead to driving premiums down (isn’t that what consumers want? Lower healthcare premiums?) If Ron Williams (the president) would have forgone ¼ of his 2008 bonus, Aetna could saved the jobs of its 1000 employees that it laid off…..Aetna does not care about its employees, they are just numbers….Aetna laid off 1000 human beings in the worst economy we have seen in years…..how is that for caring? Did I say that it ha

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

m_gibson in Chandler, Arizona

56 months ago

I am really surprised to read all the negative comments about Aetna. I got my start in health insurance at Aetna back in 1995. I had only a high school diploma, and knew nothing about insurance. They put me through 3 months of training to become a claims examiner. I enjoyed my job, and received excellent pay and benefits up until the time when they merged with U.S. Healthcare and closed our office. Even then, I got a very fair severance package and a marketable skill, and I've been steadily employed ever since. Now I have an interview at Aetna coming up, and I am excited about the prospect of working there again. I understand that it's not going to be like it was in the booming 90's, but from reviewing their benefits (which are available to anyone online at the corporate website) it looks good to me! I think we are all still struggling to adjust our expectations to coincide with the reality of the economy in America today.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

CTJobSeeker in Groton, Connecticut

56 months ago

Hi,
I got a VM from an AETNA recruiter Thursday. She left a message that she wanted to talk to me Friday or Monday morning. I called her Monday morning and again Monday evening but it is now Thursday a week later and she has not returned my call. Is this normal?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

493 in New York

37 months ago

Stuff in Brooklyn, New York said: I also Worked at aetna and these are true statements.

Hey, I'm in NY and wondering if you worked in the mid-town office? I'd really like to find out more about the culture and what you thought of the benefits. Please email me at alittleasian@yahoo.com. Thank you so much.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Wow in Tucson, Arizona

26 months ago

I worked for another company here in Tucson called APAC that was hired to do intake claims for this company. reapeating what Minneapolis, Minnesota says quite a while back but this is STILL true...only difference is I WAS an employee
"I am a current employee at aetna and actually on here looking for another job. First of all you should not think for yourself. Free thinking is not allowed, and if you are intellegent and show it you will be basically thrown aside. They are looking for poeple whom keep their mouth shut, do not come up with ideas, and agree with everything that is said."
this was the exact senario for why I got let go. Still now there are employees there avioding calls, dropping calls, very poor attendance, logging off 1 min before shift end (call center people know this in NOT aceptable)I had almost perfect quality, did have perfect attendance, and pretty average talk time. The manangment did NOT like getting asked questions, never had answers, but yet you needed to do exactly what they said (which changed every hour, proven by the mass amount of desk drops) they could never decide what the actual procedure to process a claim is. Still cant. The script changed about 3 or 4 times while I was there a short 7 months. They could not handle any inquiries on what really is.
I would NOT recommend a job for either a hired comany (such as APAC) or Aetna themselves. If your one who wants to improve your stats, have any questions, oh and if you want to understand the bonus structure these two places are NOT for you. You will not have answers and your bonus will be nonexistant.
As a matter of fact your health can be affected by this (these) companies. A coworkers Blood Preasure medication had to be raised, one had to look for anger managment counseling, I ill never forget the person who actually had a heart attack right there on the call center floor (which she quit not very long aftere she returned from the hospital).
NOT GOOD FOR YOUR HEALTH!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

aabrantley in Greensboro, North Carolina

13 months ago

Shhh..Can't tell in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: I work for the Plantation office and can tell you that Aetna is not the place to work. As the other's have stated, the insurance is horrible! How do you work for the "top" insurance company in the world and have the crappiest health insurance??? We have people actually going into debt and collect agencies after us because the pay is so low and the insurance we have to pay out of pocket doesn't equal to what we make.

As far as advancement, forget it. It's all about who you know or who you clique with and I agree...the more quiet you are, the further your go because they do like people thinking for themselves. I am trying so hard to get out of there!

hi i have a friend that works for the company and they are giving them a hard time about things that us as adults must handle because its a part of life so i come to you to ask if there was anyway possible to get a copy of their(the company)attendance policy. i really want to help them out of this uncomfortable situation that come upon them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jobseeker in Grand Ledge, Michigan

11 months ago

I was thinking about applying for a job position as a Mail Processor in Okemos, MI. But after reading all these comments. I believe I am better off keeping my two part time jobs one in Mail sorting/processing and one in Production/Distribution at the local newspaper. I would never be happy at Aetna when I consider my senior age of 57 years, slightly overweight with arthritis. And I have never been quiet, and shy, I am very outspoken and I need to send out emails of complaint if I feel and believe I have been wronged. I do remember working as a temp employee for a third party insurance company doing mostly filing and storage work very little data entry which was what I was hired for and have experience in. That company was the worse experience I have had in such a short amount of time I spent I believe a total of three weeks. It is true about every company culture it is about who you know and most important if they really like you or love you, you will go far with them if they don't like or love you, you might be out of a job. It does not matter whether you perform a good job or not because any warm human body can do your job. Reading all these comments saved me from wasting my time in applying to Aetna. I also think one main reason the insurance industy is suffering greatly is because America is suffering greatly with way too many overweight people with high amounts of Diabetes because of way too much SUGAR in all FOODS that are processed in a package or box many Americans eat too much of. Too many with high blood pressure, too many American suffer heart attacks. Until we learn to eat what we can cook and prepare ourselves from gardens and put packaged food companies and many fast foods out business, things will only get worse.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.