What is it like selling Aflac in the current economic environment?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (20)

RudyCantFail in Florence, Kentucky

73 months ago

Has the bottom dropped out in the last couple weeks - as far as appointments, new groups, new enrollments?

Thinking about starting with Aflac - I had some real success three years ago setting appointments and opening groups, but had to give it up for personal reasons after opening 11 groups in about 4 months. Would this be the wrong time to try again?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Chucky1 in Salem, Massachusetts

72 months ago

Hello ,
The real problem is the district managers will hire as many agents as will apply. They benefit from it, they get commisions off everyone. It makes your job impossible because Aflac agents are everywhere. Very rarely will you call anywhere and Aflac agent has not already called. The Massachusetts area is so bad.
Example =15 independant gents make $20, 000 year (if your lucky). The hiring manager who get's you to take the Job make $80,000.00.
Now that Aflac is estblished in each state the $$$ is not out there to be made.
I did it and whish i never did .

RudyCantFail in Florence, Kentucky said: Has the bottom dropped out in the last couple weeks - as far as appointments, new groups, new enrollments?

Thinking about starting with Aflac - I had some real success three years ago setting appointments and opening groups, but had to give it up for personal reasons after opening 11 groups in about 4 months. Would this be the wrong time to try again?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Big Ant in Baltimore, Maryland

72 months ago

Chucky1 in Salem, Massachusetts said: Hello ,
The real problem is the district managers will hire as many agents as will apply. They benefit from it, they get commisions off everyone. It makes your job impossible because Aflac agents are everywhere. Very rarely will you call anywhere and Aflac agent has not already called. The Massachusetts area is so bad.
Example =15 independant gents make $20, 000 year (if your lucky). The hiring manager who get's you to take the Job make $80,000.00.

I have to disagree with Chucky on this one. I can say in the MD, DC, VA, DE area there are a TON of AFLAC agents but I come across businesses everyday that have not been talked to about the product even though I hear the same complaint that Chucky has all the time. The problem is everyone is going after the same kinds of clientele and ignoring others. Try to diversify your groups and you will be better success.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Chucky1 in Salem, Massachusetts

72 months ago

Hi Big Ant/Rudy ,
Why are they always hiring in every state. The district manager /independent agents continue to create a pyramid scheme with thier hiring practices. Also , they will hire any-one / any-time. I thought I was in the star wars bar when I went to training(what a freak show). If you have one once of education, I would go in another direction.
They have tunred this job into pyramid scheme. You could cold all day for 10 hours a day in MA ( for six months).You would not get 11 appointments . Never mind getting 11 groups signed (pipe dream). This job has lost it's luster.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Big Ant in Baltimore, Maryland

72 months ago

Chucky1 in Salem, Massachusetts said: Hi Big Ant/Rudy ,
Why are they always hiring in every state. The district manager /independent agents continue to create a pyramid scheme with thier hiring practices. Also , they will hire any-one / any-time. I thought I was in the star wars bar when I went to training(what a freak show). If you have one once of education, I would go in another direction.
They have tunred this job into pyramid scheme. You could cold all day for 10 hours a day in MA ( for six months).You would not get 11 appointments . Never mind getting 11 groups signed (pipe dream). This job has lost it's luster.

To be completely honest, the reason for the constant hiring (which I have found to be the norm for many pure commission sales positions) is two-fold. First there is the method of recruiting new agents. The reality is not everyone (not most people) are built to do this or be their own boss. It sounds great to everyone but if people are honest with themselves they would realize that being in business for themselves is not for them. I left my corporate job in Feb 07 to go out on my own and started a company from scratch but that is just the kind of person I am. Not many are built like that. If they were, there would be no corporate America. The second issue is an extention of the first. Since not everyone can actually do this (and there is no screening process) you have to have a constant flow of new people in order to find the ones that this is good for. I know...it's a greatly flawed process but what can you do...

In building my team I have taken a completely different approach. I will only bring people on that I think actually can be successfull at doing this. It's amazingly difficult but if you can get it to work it's well worth the effort.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

SreenName in Bellingham, Massachusetts

61 months ago

Massachusetts has around 100 new Agents starting and leaving every month.
They last around 2 weeks to 2 months depending upon how long they can go without
making money while keeping the dream alive that MA is virgin territory.

These "temp" agents drum up business that is systematically not closed until
after the agent leaves. This is so the regional and district managers earn the
commissions and residuals of the temp agent efforts.

You won't make the 100k they suggest in the first year and you won't be retiring
in 10 years on residuals. You will make 250 phone call a day and you will resign
within 2 months, broke, busted and disgusted.

Is it the same in other States?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

NoMoreDuck in Dayton, Ohio

61 months ago

AFLAC is a great company with great policies, but their sales method and management structure needs to seriously change. I have worked over 22 years in the car business and have never seen such cut throat, unethical salespeople in my life. Unfortunately, based on the way that regions are structured and managed it starts from the top and is fed down to the agents. Don't ever believe that you are running your own business, you are only running your regional managers agenda. He made money to hire you and will get rid of you in order to hire another to make money off of them. They have no problem giving your hard earned accounts away to whomever is currently kissing their #$% the most. AFLAC's loosely controlled and ill designed field management will eventually catch up with the company as a whole and no amount of commercials will be able to save the mess they created in the field. They have really great policies but equally bad management. I will never go through that hell ever again. Good economy or bad! BTW: Seems you can sell disability policies, but can't be disabled and sell them???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Arden Halsey in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

44 months ago

NoMoreDuck in Dayton, Ohio said: AFLAC is a great company with great policies, but their sales method and management structure needs to seriously change. I have worked over 22 years in the car business and have never seen such cut throat, unethical salespeople in my life. Unfortunately, based on the way that regions are structured and managed it starts from the top and is fed down to the agents. Don't ever believe that you are running your own business, you are only running your regional managers agenda. He made money to hire you and will get rid of you in order to hire another to make money off of them. They have no problem giving your hard earned accounts away to whomever is currently kissing their #$% the most. AFLAC's loosely controlled and ill designed field management will eventually catch up with the company as a whole and no amount of commercials will be able to save the mess they created in the field. They have really great policies but equally bad management. I will never go through that hell ever again. Good economy or bad! BTW: Seems you can sell disability policies, but can't be disabled and sell them???
You're input was very helpful. I would have thought Aflac's business opportunity would have been on a par with it's name.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

HappyAflacVet in Providence, Rhode Island

43 months ago

I completely disagree with the previous comments. I've sold Aflac products for over a decade, and the colleagues that I've known during that time (and still work with every week) are honest, hard-working, wonderful people.

There are always going to be unethical people in any business. Aflac is no different. Yes, there are a lot of new agents coming into the field force every month, but so what? This is a competitive work environment! You have to create your own niche, your own 'schtick', whether it's getting up an hour ealier to go prospecting than anyone else, or bringing all your prospects a hot cup of coffee and a donut.

People who bad mouth Aflac focus only on the negatives. And those negatives can apply to any business, anywhere, in any field.

The bottom line is that this is an honest company with great policies. I assist all my policyholders with claims, and have never, ever, EVER had a legitimate claim denied. Not once.

There is no one magic formula for being a success. What works for one person may not be right for another. You simply have to bring all your creative juices to bear when approaching the 'open market.' Whatever it takes, as long as 'it' isn't illegal or immoral is fair game.

I often get asked by new associates what 'the secret to sucess is.' Well, I"ll tell you: the secret is: THERE IS NO SECRET! You have to be enthusiastic, well spoken, well dressed, professional, and LIKEABLE. You MUST know your products COLD...that means being able to discuss any benefit or feature of a policy without having to look at the brochure. (I used to stay up nights and quiz myself ad nauseum on benefit features.)

You have to go where the clients are. Who are the prospective cleints? ANY BUSINESS WITH AT LEAST 3 EMLOYEES. AND...you can sell a direct policy to any one person, couple or family.

All companies are continuously refining their management structure; but in the meantime, I'm going to SELL. Good luc

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Ben Keller in Middletown, Delaware

28 months ago

Chucky1 in Salem, Massachusetts said: Hi Big Ant/Rudy ,
Why are they always hiring in every state. The district manager /independent agents continue to create a pyramid scheme with thier hiring practices. Also , they will hire any-one / any-time. I thought I was in the star wars bar when I went to training(what a freak show). If you have one once of education , I would go in another direction.

The real issue is the fact that they route out those who are really interested in the job as opposed to those who aren't. Those who aren't really into the job remain for a shorter period of time. Those who are remain longer. Additionally, there's also the question of whether or not the prospective employee has the patience to really last through multiple presentations, interviews, and then the course and test before becoming signed off as an agent, which FWIW, one could find working as a retail clerk easier in terms of getting started, but this process, for the most part, does vet who's able to do the job, because if you aren't into it, you'll likely leave work after a short time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Michael Axel in Redmond, Oregon

28 months ago

RudyCantFail in Florence, Kentucky said: Has the bottom dropped out in the last couple weeks - as far as appointments, new groups, new enrollments?

Absolutely NOT! I'm a relatively new agent (just over a year), an had briefly convinced myself this economy was awful. What I have learned is that it is the absolutely opposite in my area. More businesses cannot afford major medical insurance with its high cost, and Aflac is a perfect fit for these businesses. Working with newer agents than myself, I see myself when I started. At first it is a head game. If you give yourself enough time, you will be successful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Michael Axel in Redmond, Oregon

28 months ago

Hiring quotas was terribly annoying to me at first, until I realized there are short timers in every profession. In fact, I was told at first, by a more experienced agent, to try not to tell businesses I was from Aflac because our area is smaller, and hit so hard by new agents.

I'm a year into this profession, and with my partner, we are the top group opener in our state this quarter. It has been hard work, and the only thing I hate about it is the weekends, when I can't meet and market to business owners. Only recently did I realize, "Holy cow. I can make as much money as I want." I can't wait to get out every day and meet people. I cannot recommend strongly enough, getting a partner you like to work with.

Yes, regions bring on a lot of new agents. If you're a weenie, you won't make it. That's why they hire so many agents.

Chucky1 in Salem, Massachusetts said: Hello ,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

HappyAflacVet in Providence, Rhode Island

28 months ago

Aflac is NOT a pyramid scheme. It's not even an MLM.

In a pyrmaid scheme, there is no real product...profits are derived from adding new members and the "registration fees." Pyramid schemes are illegal, and believe me, no illegal pyramid scheme would be listed on the NYSE.

MLM's have, in theory, an inifinite number of "layers." Aflac does NOT.

Associates report to a District Manger. District Mangers report to a Regional Manger, and the RSC reports to a State Coordinator. That's it on a state level. 4 levels. Hardly enough to be considered "Multi" (that IS what MLM stands for "multi-layered marketing.")

All companies have a hierarchy, but if you want to, you can be a sole agent, fly under the radar, and simply do your own thing. As long as your customers are happy, you will never be bothered by anyone at Aflac. I'm living proof...the sole agent, happy taking care of my 75 original accounts, and assisting on perhaps another 30.

If Aflac were not a viable and REAL career option, then how come there are thousands of veteran agents out there, supporting their families on the money they make with Aflac?

I started as a single mom when I was 37. With the money I earned as an Aflac agent, I put my daughter thru college, bought a house, and I've been to the Caribbean five times on Aflac's dime. Not to mention, the cash awards, prizes, Holiday auctions, local contests...none of which I"m required to participate in. I've built life-long relationships with people who are policyholders. I give outstanding service to my customers, who often tell me "you're the best insurance agent I have ever known." When you work hard, you see the results.

Don't let anyone dissuade you from trying...this is a NOT a scam, they are a GOOD company, and anyone can ask me any question they want...I'll try and answer honestly. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No Reply - Report abuse

oscar in Woburn, Massachusetts

25 months ago

Hi All, I am new to Aflac company. I wanted to get my license so bad but don't wanted to deal with this guy in waltham office. So what other options do I have.I guess i can go to diff agent right. I have ten (10) peoples waiting to sign up for life insurence but i don't have license yet. Any advice for me i would appreciate and thank you in advance.Here is my personal email ( kgb36020@ymail.com )

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Axel in Redmond, Oregon

25 months ago

Congratulations on getting your license! Can you elaboraye on why you dont like the district sales coordinator in your area? Sometimes those you dont get along with right away are the ones who can teach you the best. If there is a regional manager above the guy you dont want to work with, ask him/her if there is someone else you might work with. If hes the man, your only option might only be to travel into another region .... moving.

As for the life insurance prospects, you could potentially sign up as a producer for a life insurance company and sign them that way. Just make sure you are not captive by that company. I would also highly recommend not playing games with anyone. There are many ways to be revealed, plus it is good to start out early in your career by being a man of your word and ethical.

In the end, this is your career. Tell your mentor what you need, and learn what they will teach and expect of you. Be honest and tell him you dont want to be a statistic, you want to build a career with Aflac. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

newbie in Winter Park, Florida

24 months ago

I've been thinking of becoming an Aflac agent. Read some of the old posts here - many people complained about not knowing what businesses in their territiory had recently been contacted or were even current customers. Has it gotten any better?
Does Aflac provide any leads or recommend any software or services to find leads? I realize there is a lot of cold calling on the phone and going door to door but would like to know what kind of support I'll get.

Also heard that they are starting to offer more group policies. Do these have lower commissions- initially and over life of the policies? Is there a benefit to selling these for the employees and me?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

working hard in Katy, Texas

23 months ago

Go door to door. It is much easier and more lucrative. I tried the phone call route and you have to work much harder to get an appointment. It is much easier to hang up a phone on someone thanto reject them face to face. I have been an agent for four months, the first couple of months I struggled while tryingto get my talk off and policy knowledge down. Last month I made almost $7,000 dollars and will probably win a trip by the end of the year. Today I signed an insurance broker to partner with me. I also made twenty cold calls and set up two appointments with companies who are seriously looking at offering the products to their employees. I also set up another broker to partner with in the future. All of this onabout two and a half hours of cold calling. If you do this every day, five days a week, for a month then you will have enough business to. ake a good living. By the way, the building where I got the two appointments, I had been toldby other bizs there that I was the umpteenth AFLAC there in recent memory.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

oscar in Woburn, Massachusetts

23 months ago

I do wana work for AFLAC but I'm having a hard time passing the test. Why do they made it so difficulty to pass the test. 100 question is alot...why can it be 30 to 50 question so every can pass the test. There is no way i'm going to pass this test dam you aflac. I just wasted $39 bucks for test materials.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

trhawkins in Fayetteville, Tennessee

20 months ago

Hey, I was wondering if you could give me some help my email is trhawkins21@gmail.com I am a new agent and I am trying really hard to get out there and see these businesses as much as possible. I have some serious questions that my DSC wont get back with me on and I am in desperate need of some help I saw this comment and was wanting to get some support from someone who has beeen doing it for quite some time..

PotentialNewAflacMarc in Clifton Park, New York

19 months ago

Hey,

So I am thinking of looking into this in upstate NY. I imagine it's basically calling and going door to door right?

Let me know any information you're willing to share. Thanks.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.