What's the company culture at AIMCO?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (30)

Host

Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at AIMCO?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at AIMCO?

Reply - Report abuse

been there done that in Cincinnati, Ohio

94 months ago

Employment at Aimco is unlike anything you have ever experienced. First and foremost, you need to know that if you are working for Aimco, you are working for George Bush & Co. (reference "Bushwacked" and the "Denver boys". Needless to say, the culture is very right wing and somewhat opressive. Aimco recently restructured its Regional and Dvisional Management to include ex military personnel who bring to the table a unique, yet dictatorial style. These men are empowered to run a large portfolio of assets. Most or all of them have no previous industry experience and single handedly "lord" it over a rather large labor force consisting mostly of women. Women seldom rise above middle management and minorities are token. Aimco will tell you that they are "data and performance driven", but the overiding priority is conformity and submission. Aimco is affectionately referred to as "Change Co" due to its undeterred desire to constantly re-invent the wheel, often causing chaos and disruption to site operations (where the money is made). Even more laughable, is Aimco's recent partnering with "Disney" to create "Moments that Matter". They have decided that it is now time to start being nice to its customers and employees. Yet, after carelessly spending millions of investor dollars on sending their foot soldiers to camp at Disney in Orlando, have no concrete plan to implement everything they learned about being nice at Disney. As if being nice was a principle of business that didn't exist until the "thinkers" at Aimco discovered it. I would call the culture at Aimco as having a long way to go before it ever is published as a best place to work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (59) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

A former employee in Arvada, Colorado

94 months ago

Host said: Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at AIMCO?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

So true Cincinnati, Ohio!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lisa in Denver, Colorado

94 months ago

They keep posting the SAME MONTH AFTER MONTH, JOB YEAR AFTER YEAR, for an "Executive Secretary." I think they want to keep the pipeline open??? I worked there as a temp once. The environment IS oppressive and the managers seem like their ties are tied too tight! Gosh, they need to LOOSEN UP THERE! Everyone is OVERWORKED.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jena

93 months ago

thanks for that bit of info, as I strive to keep the distance when looking for a job in MY industry of managing apartments. The job I have now, I have been on since 1996...needless to say that is way too long to sit at one company. Have not had a raise since 2002......now what does that tell you? NOT Aimco....and probably never will be a "worker bee" for Aimco. I wish somebody would tell me which company out there is the BEST ONE.......Aimco happens to be the largest property management company...so what is next? sincerely, Jena

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jeter in South Burlington, Vermont

93 months ago

Jena said: thanks for that bit of info, as I strive to keep the distance when looking for a job in MY industry of managing apartments. The job I have now, I have been on since 1996...needless to say that is way too long to sit at one company. Have not had a raise since 2002......now what does that tell you? NOT Aimco....and probably never will be a "worker bee" for Aimco. I wish somebody would tell me which company out there is the BEST ONE.......Aimco happens to be the largest property management company...so what is next? sincerely, Jena

My boss is a former Sr. Property Manager with AIMCO and the stories he has told me fit right in with the 1st post. Do not ever remotely think of working for AIMCO. I would look into newly formed Riverstone Residential Group, formerly Trammell Crow Residential Services @ www.riverstoneres.com. They are a company on the move.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jena

93 months ago

thank you for that information. I know that Trammel Crow has a nice reputation. Anyone know anything about the Connors Group or NRP Group? They sound very good. I am a veteran in this business however I love my current job so much that I somehow ended up in fairy land.......with no money. The economy has expanded and my paycheck has gotten much smaller. Note to the wise...career may be good...but if you stay at one place for too long, you start to be taken for granted. As if, you love your job so much that you would never want more money?
Thank you again. Sincerely, Jena

AIMCo in Denver, Colorado

93 months ago

AIMCO is like working in a factory!!! It's VERY political, lots of "power games," etc.

Of course, the culture stems directly from the TOP!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jusjewel in Irving, Texas

93 months ago

Jena said: thank you for that information. I know that Trammel Crow has a nice reputation. Anyone know anything about the Connors Group or NRP Group? They sound very good. I am a veteran in this business however I love my current job so much that I somehow ended up in fairy land.......with no money. The economy has expanded and my paycheck has gotten much smaller. Note to the wise...career may be good...but if you stay at one place for too long, you start to be taken for granted. As if, you love your job so much that you would never want more money?
Thank you again. Sincerely, Jena

The Connors group only hire individuals that don't have experience in the apartment industry. You can go to their website and view that they hire people that have been managers of restaurants, daycare, etc. They have postings every month in Dallas for a managers position with a $5K sign on bonus. That pretty much tells you no one lasts at the communities (high turnover), which isn't good stability for the residents.

Jena

93 months ago

thanks......and yes I have seen that also. I am very willing to relocate for the best position for me. I have been out of the market for over 10 years now (having been at the same property as the Manager for this period)...which now I am starting to view as detriment for future jobs or career.

Any suggestions anyone?? Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Brina in Richardson, Texas

93 months ago

Do you attend your local apartment association functions? This is a good way to network with vendors and other managers with different companies to get an idea of what possibilities are out there for you. Also, if there is local crime watch meetings for apartment managers in your area, this is good networking too. Vendor's always know what companies are looking for good managers. I know (I was a vendor) and managers were always asking me if I knew "who was hiring".
Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rebecca in Springboro, Ohio

93 months ago

I was approached by a manager of the "Cnnors Group" wanting to re-cruit me for a position. She asked me if i was happy in my current job..I am but have always wanted to work in marketing. I have to admit that after reading some of these comments..it doesn't sound like it would be a good carreer move. The work place sounds very frustrating & un-fair.

Beware of Agencies! in Denver, Colorado

92 months ago

Who is the Connors Group? An agency??

justice in Anytown

92 months ago

the conner group is another property management company- they are not Aimco. You should be okay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rebecca in Springboro, Ohio

92 months ago

justice in Anytown said: the conner group is another property management company- they are not Aimco. You should be okay.

Thank you :)

Me in Indianapolis, Indiana

91 months ago

I worked in Corporate Accounting in Indianapolis a few years ago. The company is an absolute train wreck. First of all I was not fired so I have no ax to grind. Employees are nothing more than numbers. They will ride you hard until you burn out then simply replace you. It was very common to work 12 hour days.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sad eviction of hundreds Unreal in Denver, Colorado

91 months ago

www.youtube.com/watch?v=UngEHGXlHb0

This u tube video says it all. People forced out of their homes in Venice California.

Some code of ethics this company has. Anyone looking to work for these people had better think about the lack of ethics and morals that are demonstrated in this video

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

wellthereyago in Denver, Colorado

91 months ago

"America Comes Home to Aimco" (their slogan) LOL They are such scumbags.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

newinfo in Chicago, Illinois

91 months ago

There is going to be a huge announcement coming out of Ohio in the next couple of weeks (unless Aimco makes a decision) There will be a media expose regarding the goings on at Aimco. It will make national headlines. Stay tuned

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

scary in Florence, Kentucky

91 months ago

newinfo in Chicago, Illinois said: There is going to be a huge announcement coming out of Ohio in the next couple of weeks (unless Aimco makes a decision) There will be a media expose regarding the goings on at Aimco. It will make national headlines. Stay tuned

As a former long termer of aimco I would not be the least bit suprised. There are some serious abuses of power taking place throughout the organization. The corporate environment is flat out scary. Without experiencing it for yourself the stories are probably unbelievable.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Carol in Denver, Colorado

91 months ago

There is a reason they keep posting these jobs. They go through EA's like water.

Lisa in Denver, Colorado said: They keep posting the SAME MONTH AFTER MONTH, JOB YEAR AFTER YEAR, for an "Executive Secretary." I think they want to keep the pipeline open??? I worked there as a temp once. The environment IS oppressive and the managers seem like their ties are tied too tight! Gosh, they need to LOOSEN UP THERE! Everyone is OVERWORKED.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Erica in Austin, Texas

91 months ago

newinfo in Chicago, Illinois said: There is going to be a huge announcement coming out of Ohio in the next couple of weeks (unless Aimco makes a decision) There will be a media expose regarding the goings on at Aimco. It will make national headlines. Stay tuned

Please give us a hint!!! I for one could contribute lots to an expose, maybe we can make it even bigger! Can I give you a call?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

fox run in annadale, New Jersey

84 months ago

Host said: Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at AIMCO?

People here dress how they want. workers live like kings with all the good products. (stoves, stainless fridges, hardwood floors, double paned windows and doors etc.) all at the residents expense. Lazy, lazy, lazy. workers allowed to do their side jobs for cash on Aimcos time. They need to do random drug testing here.

Runfox

hawk

81 months ago

Jena said: thanks......and yes I have seen that also. I am very willing to relocate for the best position for me. I have been out of the market for over 10 years now (having been at the same property as the Manager for this period)...which now I am starting to view as detriment for future jobs or career.

Any suggestions anyone?? Thanks

Yeah, I heard the Connor Group has a HUGE turnover

Water lover 08 in Florida

74 months ago

I worked for Aimco for 15 months and can't believe I survived. As they are known to deny unemployment claims with some standard bologna reasons, I was curious if anyone has ever gotten unemployment from them and what is the best procedure. A previous general manager told me to sue them and expose them for what they are and cause a class action suit. I frankly have no interest to continue ties to that company I just want what is fair and that is the minimum just that $275 a week that I so deserve. As if I had not paid my dues to this company 60 hour weeks for a tiny 40 hour paycheck, toads running the company without any industry experience or those how moved up the ranks from leasing consultants to VP's within 2 years. It's a ridiculous company who abuses the employees and still demand more from them. Work life balance is a phrase they like to use but when you bring it up and ask what their definition is they move on as if you did not speak. They cut off spending in August and expect you to turn apartments for the balance of the year while yelling at you and holding up approval for supplies for a week. This week your supervisor might be A and next week it's B but it takes three weeks to find out that a change was made. Denver likes to show up and ask you a million questions because employee morale in Florida is horrible, most of us have some sort of illness related to the stress. So you spend hours replying to email, on conference calls, doing research for those in charge and they don't even acknowledge you. You get an honorable mention by the CEO and prospects and they don't even say good job all while your working the usual 10 hour day, which you document and have copies of but enter 40 hours as required. Salaried employees are required to work too many hours and then if you ask for time off or to leave early you are black balled.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Positive Stress in Richardson, Texas

74 months ago

I was in property management for 18 years. All companies are political, you either kiss butt, or move on. I suggest to anyone that is unhappy with this job field is to find another occupation. You'll find you actually have a life and aren't literally tied to your job 24/7.

Happily selling condo's now even though the market is slow. Real Estate never disappears. It just has ups and downs. You save money during the up periods to hold you over for the down periods.

No more sleepless nights here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

TX21 in Dallas, Texas

74 months ago

I recently worked for the Connor Group until being let go recently. I do NOT recommend this company to anyone! When something seems to good to be true, it usually is and for sure is with this company.
When I was hired, I was promised a sign on bonus. Have you ever heard of a bonus ($3000) that is paid out in 3months, 6months, and 9months? Why? Because you will never last that long for them to have to pay you!
All the GREAT benefits that they promise you! HA! The insurace (medical) comes with a $4000 deductible before they pay ANY PART of your medical treatments. Then when they do pay its only at a 80/20 split. The premiums arent cheap either. For me only it was well over $120 a month.
The 401k they talk about...only available after a year of service. The AAA card that they talk about, available after a year of service then enrollment is only once a year after that.
I have read some wonderful things about The Connor Group and the way that they treat their employees. Maybe this is true in other markets but in the Dallas market they are far from good! Keep in mind, the benefits are the same across the board.
The company attempts to cut costs so much that as a Property Manager your work week is expected to be minimal 55 hours. I was putting in closer to 70 a WEEK! They do not hire Assistant Managers. The Property Manager does it all. They manage the sales which in all 9 properties in Dallas consists of 1 or on a couple properties-2 people total. They are responsible for the maintenance team which consists of 1 maintenance lead tech and one turn tech. Sometimes the maintenance and turn tech guy are the same person. The property manager is responsible for every aspect of the property from accounts recievable, accounts payable, service, purchasing, problems, customer complaints, rent postings/collections/evictions. Basically for what they are paying you and the hours you have to put in, its not worth it and its not appreciated!

74 months ago

Does the Connor Group own the communities in Dallas or just manage them. If they just manage them, then whoever owns them should certainly see the problems with turnover and find another management company that knows what they're doing. You would think anyway. If in fact thay own them, then they should consider taking some human resource classes themselves on how to manage people. Just food for thought if they read these blogs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

TX21 in Dallas, Texas

74 months ago

The Connor Group owns them. They own 59 properties nationwide. The basically buy grade A apartment communities that are underperforming and typically buy ones that were owned by pharmacuetical companies because they seem to be more well maintained, they are just underperforming.

They go into a property first thing and cut the staff back almost in half. Down to one manager one or two sales people and a maintenance tech and depending on the size a turn tech or grounds guy.Their whole concept is based on repair vs replace. They put it money saving practices such as energy saver light bulbs they put all lights on timers.They began billing residents for utilities such as gas and water. They increase the rent up to what they call "Market Value" which is the amount that they choose for market value to be. They will never do leases longer than 13 months. Everytime a person comes up for renewals they track their rent roll increases. Everytime you renew you will be hit with a rental increase. They start working renewals 120 days out and harass the residents weekly at 90 days. Within a year sometimes 2 of buying a property the revenue has increased so signifcantly due to all the rental increases and cost saving methods and other income such as water and reduction in force that the property now appears to be awhole lot more profitable and then they sell the property for 5-15 million more than what they paid for it and about a %60 return for investors. One corporate policy they utilize is not allowing people out of their lease no matter what. There is no reletting clause and they dont use a TEA Lease either.

They currently have properties in markets such as Dallas/Ft Worth TX, Cincanatti OH, Columbus OH,Dayton OH, Raliegh Duram North Carolina, Atlanta GA and are looking at expanding to Chicago next.

74 months ago

No matter if they own them or not. They don't have a good reputation as for as there management skills. Residents like to see stability in the management office. Not chaos.

I guess with all the cost cutting and energy saving that they do, we won't see them in Washington asking for a bail out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.