Forget about using agencies to find a job

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 123)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Long Disappointed with Agencies in Palatine, Illinois

105 months ago

If you want to waste your time and energy to enroll, be tested and sit and wait for a call that is never going to come......go to a recruiting agency.

Your time would be best spent searching job boards and only responding to direct employer listings. Unfortunately, when you post your resume so that it can be reviewed by a potential employer, you get calls from agency recruiters all day long. Leave your answering machine on and ignore recruiting agencies! Some sites allow you to exclude ads from agencies......do it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

How True in Palatine, Illinois

105 months ago

When recruiters get your resumes, I think they contact your former employers for leads for themselves. There are many companies out there that we have worked for that have not used agencies in the past, and this is a great source of information for the agencies.

So while you haven't found a new job yet, they are contacting your current employer to let them know they have candidates in the event of a vacancy.

Not sure they really ever try to get YOU a position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Long Disappointed in Palatine, Illinois

105 months ago

Mike - sounds like you are a one in a million recruiter!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

D-Man in Austin, Texas

105 months ago

Mike...wish you were working here in Austin, TX... It would be a very welcome change to work with someone at Ajilon here, such as yourself. It is just really sad the way the majority of the agencies treat their candidates... I would love to see the shoe on the other foot, so to speak!
I not some slacker or job-jumper, I like to work...provides education and sense of accomplishments and I have had many. But when you are with one of these major agencies, MAN !! .. they make you feel small and insignificant!

"Still Plugging Away"- Austin

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Brandy in Concord, California

105 months ago

Thanks for your timely email about agencies. It's been awhile since I started looking for work again. Just posted my first resume today on Monster and within 20 miutes got I got a call. You guessed it, from an agency! I resisted the bait, remembering two distant and distasteful memories of exactly the waiting, time consuming and completely and unfruitful agency experinces you described. Told she could email her contact info for my reference but that I was currently focused on target companies. I've done ok in past w/ this route and te job market is pretty good.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mike Powless in Rochelle Park, New Jersey

105 months ago

I understand why people get frustrated with recruiters because often times you never hear from them after you meet with them. A good recruiter will keep in touch and see how your search is going because it’s good business to do that. At the same time, I wanted to explain the process of recruiting. We get a job order from a client company who is willing to pay a fee for a usually very specific set of criteria. The criteria is not only the skills that are evident on your resume, it's also personality. During the interview, we get a feel for the type of environment you are looking for and many times it's not in line with the company. For instance, many people hate micro-management. If during the interview you indicate this and the recruiter knows that the hiring manager is going to be over your shoulder the whole time while you’re working, it makes sense to let you know that during the interview. Ultimately, the recruiter should try to help you in your search, and if they don't let you know what's going on, call them up and ask them for an update. A lot of times, your call may remind us of your skill-set and we might have a job order that matches you perfectly. Recruiters make a lot of calls every day and communicating is our job so don’t be afraid to call us if you haven’t heard from us for a while… timing is everything in this business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

RSK in Raleigh, North Carolina

105 months ago

Well said Mike! I'm an Account Exec for another staffing company and our recruiters work very hard to place people. Unfortunately, we can't place everyone. Our job is to fill our clients' orders and it's in our best interest to fill the position to their specifications...not just send a "warm" body. All potential candidates should make it a point to stay in touch with the recruiter on a regular basis as this business changes everyday. A candidate might not be a match for one client, but give it a week or two and another position might come along where the candidate is a great match. As Mike said, "timing is everything."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Shawn Santos in Emerson, New Jersey

105 months ago

Mike - you hit the nail on the head! I am in one of the largest offices in the country for Ajilon as a Team Leader for the perm search division. The market plays a big part too. I've seen a big swing from the ".com" days, through a recession, to now and the companies that work with us - truly value us because we try to make the right match. Not just for the client - but the candidate too! Our product and customer are both people! Ever try to get a group of friends to go out for dinner and a movie? Almost impossible to get everyone on the same page - and these are your friends! Try introducing a total stranger into a "family" of co workers that may have been together for years and get them to agree on that one person.
I hear the frustration from candidates and I understand completely - in fact, in a lot of cases - I agree it can be frustrating. I tell my candidates that there is a possibility that I won't place you since the best and brightest recruiters place about 50-60 people - all year - BUT I will help you. I often take time out of my day and redo resumes, role play interviews (some - not even my clients!), help with interview information, etc. My job is very fulfilling but it is challenging too. Just keep this stuff in mind - recruiters (for the most part) are really trying to make everyone happy and "pick the movie that everyone will like".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Lisa MacPherson in Atlanta, Georgia

104 months ago

I have registered at countless agencies, been probed and tested in more ways than I can count. Not one has sent me on a real interview. Not one has landed me a job. I do not trust an agency to decide if I "fit the employeers needs" I am a smart, decent woman, with great experience. I am not a drug user, I work hard and am not a job hopper. I personally think that these agencies have their own agenda and it isn't in my best interest. I decided to exclude them from my job search. I only apply to direct employeers now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nancy in NJ in Lyndhurst, New Jersey

104 months ago

I worked for Ajilon Finance twice in 2005 for their Paramus, NJ office. I was a temp seeking full-time work. I had two bad experiences, both as a temp. I really needed any work I could find, so I took the first job from whatever agency called me. The first job Ajilon sent me to paid far below my skill set, but since I was desperate...

The agency informed me to give them notice if I could not complete the assignment. I found out I needed surgery, so acting in proper business manner, I gave a week notice, so they could find a replacement. I was let go that day and lost a weeks pay, having to wait for state disability.

State disability required me to obtain statements regarding my income. They were late in sending me the paperwork and I was already recovering in the hospital. I called the office ahead of time and had my boyfriend drive to their office and pick up the paperwork, and he was treated poorly--they couldn't find the papers and made him wait.

Last month, the IRS sent me notice that I owed them money. After reviewing their documents, I realized that Ajilon failed to send me a W-2. They sent me one, and found out that they should have sent me 2.
I finally received the paperwork 2 weeks later.

This agency is unorganized and their staff (at least in the office I worked from) are rude. I would never recommend them to anyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Pleased in NC in High Point, North Carolina

104 months ago

Called this agency on Thursday about a posted job, job was not suitable for me, but another opening was available, interviewed Friday morning, going on a temp to hire assignment Monday morning... most professional placement agency that i've dealt with by far. Most agencies won't return your calls, much less place you into a job within 24 hours

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jan in San Leandro, California

103 months ago

Long Disappointed with Agencies said: If you want to waste your time and energy to enroll, be tested and sit and wait for a call that is never going to come......go to a recruiting agency.
Your time would be best spent searching job boards and only responding to direct employer listings. Unfortunately, when you post your resume so that it can be reviewed by a potential employer, you get calls from agency recruiters all day long. Leave your answering machine on and ignore recruiting agencies! Some sites allow you to exclude ads from agencies......do it!

You're an ignorant b****** dissing staffing agencies. If you don't want agencies to contact you, you simply need to check off "I do not want to be contacted by 3rd party vendors" You're a d******!!! don't waste a recruiters time!!! you're just the dumb idiot who doesn't follow directions!!! Agencies should put you on the DNU list (do not use) !!! You are an ignore person who doesn't know the market and industry!!! don't waste our time!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (52) Reply - Report abuse

Nancy in Brooklyn, New York

103 months ago

I disagree. I am thankful that there are message boards where people can post their experiences, both good and bad. The board acts as a sort of consumer posting ("Let the buyer beware."). I have worked as a temp for many different agencies. Some are better than others. I always welcome the opinion of others. Whether I want to listen is my choice. I still believe a job-hunter has to be very careful as to what recruiter they choose to do business with. Some try to talk a desperate job-seeker into taking a job they may not be qualified for, or may not like, just to fill the position. Some of them sound like the typical "used car salesman".

One recruiter, thinking I didn't know the geographic area, tried to send me to a job that was too far to commute to during rush hour. Another try to send me to a job in a "dangerous" area of a particular city.

Job-hunters have to do their research, and this message board is another part of that research.

Calling people names and cursing is un-professional and just plain rude.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Lisa in Atlanta, Georgia

103 months ago

Thank you Nancy! I am pleased that to see a reply that addresses the issues without being offensive. Each person has a different experience, it's how we chose to voice it that can matter. Again, thanks for your voice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Allon in Phoenix, Arizona

103 months ago

Mike Powless said: I have to agree that many agencies have given the recruiting industry a bad name. For what its worth I am a recruiter for Ajilon and there are a few differences that might be worth checking out. We have the application and testing process available to complete at home on-line instead of taking hours out of your workday. How often and how well we follow up with our candidates is a big part of our review. But at the end of the day, the recruiter is what makes the difference. I know a job search can be frustrating and I put myself in the candidates place and try to help my candidates as much as possible even if we can't make a placement for them.

A friend of mine got a great contract job through Ajilon a few years ago. She had nothing but good things to say about Ajilon. Also, the range of benefits Ajilon offers their contractors is far better than almost any agency I know of. It is a shame Ajilon does not have a larger presence in my city, but if/when I do contract work again, I would definitely investigate any applicable position they have available.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Lola in Brea, California

103 months ago

Jan said:
You're an ignorant b****** dissing staffing agencies. If you don't want agencies to contact you, you simply need to check off "I do not want to be contacted by 3rd party vendors" You're a d******!!! don't waste a recruiters time!!! you're just the dumb idiot who doesn't follow directions!!! Agencies should put you on the DNU list (do not use) !!! You are an ignore person who doesn't know the market and industry!!! don't waste our time!!!
These kind of people work there. No wonder nobody wants to deal with you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jennie in Portland, Oregon

103 months ago

Mike Powless said: I have to agree that many agencies have given the recruiting industry a bad name. For what its worth I am a recruiter for Ajilon and there are a few differences that might be worth checking out. We have the application and testing process available to complete at home on-line instead of taking hours out of your workday. How often and how well we follow up with our candidates is a big part of our review. But at the end of the day, the recruiter is what makes the difference. I know a job search can be frustrating and I put myself in the candidates place and try to help my candidates as much as possible even if we can't make a placement for them.

The only contact I have had with this company the lady was very rude to me and acted very arrogant. I was not impressed with this company at all. This was the downtown Portland Oregon branch.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Report them to the FTC in Denver, Colorado

101 months ago

How True in Palatine, Illinois said: When recruiters get your resumes, I think they contact your former employers for leads for themselves. There are many companies out there that we have worked for that have not used agencies in the past, and this is a great source of information for the agencies.

So while you haven't found a new job yet, they are contacting your current employer to let them know they have candidates in the event of a vacancy.

THIS IS FRAUD. These agencies MUST be stopped! It is unethical and illegal to use someone's personal information that was solicited for ONE reason to use it for ANOTHER REASON! Report them to the FTC.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Admit it! in Denver, Colorado

101 months ago

Mike Powless in Tampa, Florida said: I have to agree that many agencies have given the recruiting industry a bad name. For what its worth I am a recruiter for Ajilon and there are a few differences that might be worth checking out. We have the application and testing process available to complete at home on-line instead of taking hours out of your workday. How often and how well we follow up with our candidates is a big part of our review. But at the end of the day, the recruiter is what makes the difference. I know a job search can be frustrating and I put myself in the candidates place and try to help my candidates as much as possible even if we can't make a placement for them.

Admit it that you post FAKE ADS please to lure people. And you call the employers on people's resumes!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Cecil in New Lexington, Ohio

100 months ago

Long Disappointed with Agencies in Palatine, Illinois said: If you want to waste your time and energy to enroll, be tested and sit and wait for a call that is never going to come......go to a recruiting agency.

I'm sorry to hear that you have had bad experiences with agencies. Like some of the others have said, it is not a matter of recruiters intentionally baiting you for the purpose of wasting your time. Believe me, I wish wholeheartedly that I could help everybody I meet find their dream job. Unfortunately, the numbers don't work out that way. If a recruiter is top-notch in his industry, he will place about 10% of the people he sees. That might sound low, but when you consider the number of applicants to a decent job, going on your own is much worse. And put yourself in the shoes of a recruiter. The profession has great perks such as high income potential, but there are reasons why most people don't stay in it long term. 100's of phone calls per day, and "selling" a product as unstable and unpredictable as human beings can get quite frustrating. Communication is a two way street, so don't be afraid to reach out to several recruiters and "interview" them. Only send your resume to those who seem professional and who you feel will deliver the best service to you. Like many industries, there are a large number of incompetent a-holes who make the rest of us look bad. I care about all of my candidates, otherwise I wouldn't want to look them in the eye. I always tell them up front that a placement is no guarantee, no matter how qualified, but I do try to help all of them somehow

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

100 months ago

Lisa MacPherson in Atlanta, Georgia said: I have registered at countless agencies, been probed and tested in more ways than I can count. Not one has sent me on a real interview. Not one has landed me a job. I do not trust an agency to decide if I "fit the employeers needs" I am a smart, decent woman, with great experience. I am not a drug user, I work hard and am not a job hopper. I personally think that these agencies have their own agenda and it isn't in my best interest. I decided to exclude them from my job search. I only apply to direct employeers now.

What do you think their agenda might be? Why would they waste time if they weren't interested in helping you? How could that possibly benefit them?

Good luck going it alone. You have simply worked with people who didn't communicate their services or realistic expectations to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

100 months ago

Admit it! in Denver, Colorado said: Admit it that you post FAKE ADS please to lure people. And you call the employers on people's resumes!

I know many recruiters, and I am a recruiter. I don't know a single person who behaves in this way. Perhaps instead of generalizing and grouping a whole industry into such a negative light, you should speak in particulars about your situation.

I am an honest person, with the highest integrity. The accusations you make are unnecessarily vicious.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Lisa Mac Pherson in Atlanta, Georgia

100 months ago

I found a job and not through an agency. Frankly, I was sick of hearing how perfect I was (yes, after interviewing & testing) to not getting a call back. When I would follow up with the agency everyone of them had an excuse as to why I suddenly was no longer "perfect" This didn't happen at just one, I used every agency in my area. When I finally cut them out of my job search I landed the job I needed. I am not sure what their agenda is but, they do have one. I used agencies in the past and never experienced this. I am sure given time the shady practices that are going on now will see the light of day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lou in Denver, Colorado

100 months ago

I am an honest person, with the highest integrity. The accusations you make are unnecessarily vicious.

I think the person is basically talking to Office Team as this thread has been pertaining to that mainly. :) Not ALL recruiters. We know SOME are honest.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Cecil

100 months ago

Lisa Mac Pherson in Atlanta, Georgia said: I found a job and not through an agency. Frankly, I was sick of hearing how perfect I was (yes, after interviewing & testing) to not getting a call back. When I would follow up with the agency everyone of them had an excuse as to why I suddenly was no longer "perfect" This didn't happen at just one, I used every agency in my area. When I finally cut them out of my job search I landed the job I needed. I am not sure what their agenda is but, they do have one. I used agencies in the past and never experienced this. I am sure given time the shady practices that are going on now will see the light of day.

i would love to hear the details of this job you found on your own.

let me ask you a few questions:

-are you a CPA
-do you have and MBA from a top 20 business school
-do you come from a Big 4 accounting firm?

if you can't answer yes to at least 2 of these, then nobody at Ajilon, Accountemps, or any other specialty accounting recruitment firm ever told you that you were perfect.

look, as a recruiter, i do great things for people. not only do i help people find better (high paying, better benefits, better w/l balance, etc) jobs, but i help every candidate I see in some form. i'm sure many of the recruiters who you are badmouthing tried to help you too. you sound like a person who expects your dream job to be delivered to you on a silver platter. and by a recruiter who is providing his or her service FREE OF CHARGE.

your statements contain no logic, or disjointed logic at best.

cry me a river.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

Lou in Denver, Colorado

100 months ago

Cecil said: i would love to hear the details of this job you found on your own.

let me ask you a few questions:

-are you a CPA
-do you have and MBA from a top 20 business school
-do you come from a Big 4 accounting firm?

if you can't answer yes to at least 2 of these, then nobody at Ajilon, Accountemps, or any other specialty accounting recruitment firm ever told you that you were perfect.

look, as a recruiter, i do great things for people. not only do i help people find better (high paying, better benefits, better w/l balance, etc) jobs, but i help every candidate I see in some form. i'm sure many of the recruiters who you are badmouthing tried to help you too. you sound like a person who expects your dream job to be delivered to you on a silver platter. and by a recruiter who is providing his or her service FREE OF CHARGE.

your statements contain no logic, or disjointed logic at best.

cry me a river.

And YOU sound like an arrogant jerk!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

100 months ago

How immature are your remarks! I am not asking anyone to "cry me a river" I am merely stating the facts as I experienced them. With 11 years experience in the accounting field, with stellar recommendations and a solid work history are you really telling me that ALL the agencies I applied to rejected me because of the reasons you listed? I wasn't looking for a "dream job", I was willing to work administrative jobs, which yes, I applied for and have experience in. And not all of the agencies I applied to were strickly accounting agencies. This is a common thread that I see happening across the board. You can try to dismiss what people are saying and experiencing all you want with your insulting comments but you cannot change facts. Like I said in time it will all come to light.

For the record: I am now a Finance Manager.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Lisa in Denver, Colorado

100 months ago

For the record: I am now a Finance Manager.

Did you find the job on your own I'm assuming? No thanks to these predatory agencies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

A Recruiter's Point of View in North Little Rock, Arkansas

100 months ago

I am a recruiter with 2+ years of industry experience and I consider myself to be honest and ethical with ALL my candidates and clients. Unfortunately, the truth hurts and it only takes 1 bad recruiter to sour a job seeker's opinion of staffing agencies. I don't make the big bucks, but I still take pride in my work and in placing my candidates. There are good recruiters out there...believe me....we struggle, too. The industry is EXTREMELY cut-throat. I enjoy the satisfaction of helping others, but I fear for my job stability every day because my company is metrics-based. I am certainly not defending bad recruiters out there, but trust me when I say that there are a few of us that truly do care...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Recruiter

100 months ago

Lisa in Denver, Colorado said: For the record: I am now a Finance Manager.

Did you find the job on your own I'm assuming? No thanks to these predatory agencies.

lmao. please explain what you mean by "predatory". since these agencies never ask you for a dime for their advice and assistance, how do they possibly prey on you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

100 months ago

Yes, I found it on my own. I stopped using any agency and focused only on direct hire companies. Let me clarify, I am not saying every agency is bad or has an agenda. I can only state what I experienced.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Richard Diaz in Wesley Chapel, Florida

100 months ago

It's definitely true that some agencies such as Accountemps/Roberthalf are on monster, careerbuilder, and other job boards place bogus ads for positions they do not have. Why do they do it? To build a database of available resumes to pitch to potential clients.

Roberthalf/Accoutemps doesn't care if they waste the job seeker's time with testing and interviews. They invite you in to tell you how great you did on the tests, how good your resume looks, and more importantly to get the names and numbers of your previous supervisors to solicit business from them. Once they have that info, your just another name in the database.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

bob in Wayne, New Jersey

100 months ago

Long Disappointed with Agencies in Palatine, Illinois said: If you want to waste your time and energy to enroll, be tested and sit and wait for a call that is never going to come......go to a recruiting agency.

Don't waste your time with this compnay, all they want are leads. Don't waste your gas or time. stay away.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

World's best recruiter

100 months ago

Yes, all "we" want is leads. We never actually want to place people, we make a lot of money just getting leads. That makes a great deal of sense, doesn't it? Obviously, a large number of people are getting placed through agencies, otherwise it wouldn't be a huge and successful industry. So what is your response to that? Why do you think you're not getting placed through agencies? Look, companies only pay these high fees for the best of the best A+ candidates that they can't find on Monster or Careerbuilder, so you obviously don't fall into that category. Don't be offended, most people don't. The fact is, the hiring companies (and recruiters) know that the best candidates don't come from the online boards. Unfortunately, for recruiters, we have to "waste" some of our time bringing in people who look good on paper, only to find out in the interview process that they don't present well, or some other problem. I'm sorry your experience has been negative, but the truth is, recruiters are placing people in better jobs constantly. Just not you. So let's be fair about this. Think about what is really going on. Don't anonymously disparage an entire industry based on your antectdotal and somewhat meaningless experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Another Point of View in Ida, Arkansas

100 months ago

Recruiters DON'T GET PAID unless they PLACE candidates. It would be in our best interest to place you IF YOU ARE PLACEABLE. Agencies don't work for everyone. Enough said.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

bob in Wayne, New Jersey

100 months ago

World's best recruiter said: Yes, all "we" want is leads. We never actually want to place people, we make a lot of money just getting leads. That makes a great deal of sense, doesn't it? Obviously, a large number of people are getting placed through agencies, otherwise it wouldn't be a huge and successful industry. So what is your response to that? Why do you think you're not getting placed through agencies? Look, companies only pay these high fees for the best of the best A+ candidates that they can't find on Monster or Careerbuilder, so you obviously don't fall into that category. Don't be offended, most people don't. The fact is, the hiring companies (and recruiters) know that the best candidates don't come from the online boards. Unfortunately, for recruiters, we have to "waste" some of our time bringing in people who look good on paper, only to find out in the interview process that they don't present well, or some other problem. I'm sorry your experience has been negative, but the truth is, recruiters are placing people in better jobs constantly. Just not you. So let's be fair about this. Think about what is really going on. Don't anonymously disparage an entire industry based on your antectdotal and somewhat meaningless experience.

to the world's best recruiter, there are a lot more bad ones than good . I am presently working with ( or should I say, they have my resume, six recruiters in both large and small companies). Let me give you my experience.

1, all the promises in the world to help you get an interview for a job. WHEN YOU EMAIL OR CALL FOR AN UPDATE YOU DON'T GET AN ANSWER BACK.( IF YOU HAVE NOTHING TO SAY , TELL ME THAT INSTEAD OF BLOWING ME OFF!
2, or most recent. giving contact names at companies I worked for then blowing me off.
JUST GETTING LEADS AND NAMES.

Worlds' greatest recruiter, give me your name and email and I will contact you and you can see what you can do for me. I trust you will act above board, bob

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jeff brown in Pembroke Pines, Florida

100 months ago

Nancy in Brooklyn, New York said: I disagree. I am thankful that there are message boards where people can post their experiences, both good and bad. The board acts as a sort of consumer posting ("Let the buyer beware."). I have worked as a temp for many different agencies. Some are better than others. I always welcome the opinion of others. Whether I want to listen is my choice. I still believe a job-hunter has to be very careful as to what recruiter they choose to do business with. Some try to talk a desperate job-seeker into taking a job they may not be qualified for, or may not like, just to fill the position. Some of them sound like the typical "used car salesman".

One recruiter, thinking I didn't know the geographic area, tried to send me to a job that was too far to commute to during rush hour. Another try to send me to a job in a "dangerous" area of a particular city.

Job-hunters have to do their research, and this message board is another part of that research.

Calling people names and cursing is un-professional and just plain rude.

I do not think the recruiter was trying to send you anywhere in a dishonest fashion. I believe they showed thier inexperience and lack of knowledge of the area to you by doing this. BIG Mistake, responsible recruiters should know theier client areas and be aware of hazards such as traffic and BAD neighborhoods. I make it a point to know this and convey it to candidates on why they may not be the first choice fpr a particular position or a job may not be right for my company to accept.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jeff brown in Pembroke Pines, Florida

100 months ago

Wow, alot of emotion here: anger, pride, etc.
I've been in the industry for 9 years, I've placed engineers for NASA, IT for Lucent, Warehouse people, office people, and Medical field personnel. The common misconception is that recruiters set the job descriptions:
NO, our clients dictate skills and duties. They also have a work environment that we need to be familiar with to make sure that the candidate is not thrown into their version of HELL. We have a responsibility to both the client company who is paying us; and the employee who is working for us, or the candidate who is going to be working for our client. Placing a person is like a jigsaw puzzle, everything has to fit right or else *&%^$&*(#@^#!! on 1 of my phone lines from employee and @&@#(^$@&^$ on the other line from client company and I'm on the unemployment line shortly after that.
We also do not get paid or get very little, if nobody goes to work. So it is in our best interests to place somebody quicker and better than what the client company can bring in on their own, and quicker and better than our competition can bring in soomebody. Sometimes a client truly does desire quality over speed, and sometimes they want it filled yesterday.
I make it a point to inform all of my candidates that there is a reference and backgound check period (couple days), and that they must contact my office on a scheduled day shortly afterwards to get their status. I also assign them a day I want them to update me of their status on a weekly basis until placement, as I am marketing them and other candidates. If they do not follow these simple instructions, they fail. If they pass, I'm able to speak for them better, I always know what day(s) are best for them to interview or start, my success rate goes up and their wait for a job is 75% of the time shorter.
I wish I could say that I place everyone, but the economy has not always cooperated. Companies hit bad luck, Candidates choke in interviews or bad referenc

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

NA

100 months ago

You are absolutely right! I am a Recruiter and worked for one of the firm they are discussing. The company puts so much pressure on you to make certain goals. For example, Mgt tells you, you must have 15 plus interviews a week. So what that does is you are bringing in people just to bring them in. It is a total waste of time because as a Recruiter I would bring in anybody just to hit my goal. I had to do this otherwise I was fired. It did not help the candidate or me find a good fit but I met my goal. The whole concept is they will bring you in because you "might get a lead."

As a Recruiter, I would not exclude all companies however when working with them, I would ask them about their goals. If they have phone call quotas, interview quotas, sales calls quotas I recommend stay away. If it is a really good recruiter then their company will recognize that and allow them to do what will make the candidate successful and the recruiter as well as the company. There are firm out there and I have found it is usually the smaller companies that recognize this.

How True in Palatine, Illinois said: When recruiters get your resumes, I think they contact your former employers for leads for themselves. There are many companies out there that we have worked for that have not used agencies in the past, and this is a great source of information for the agencies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

NameGoesHere in Harrisburg, North Carolina

100 months ago

Not one agency has contacted a former employer of mine, nor any of my references. If they pulled a criminal-check or personal-background-check, that is a different story as I wouldnt know. All I know is, whether I get placed or I sit and wait, these places never call.

It no longer amazes me that we have idiots in the workforce because we have idiots hiring and placing them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

NameGoesHere in Harrisburg, North Carolina

100 months ago

Recruiter said: lmao. please explain what you mean by "predatory". since these agencies never ask you for a dime for their advice and assistance, how do they possibly prey on you?

Collect your personal data in exchange for fake smiles, false promises and non-existent job leads.

Listen, dont get offended at what is true. If it hit a nerve then, well, its most likely VERY true.

Its SO F-IN EASY to call recruits back. Let them know where things stand. REPLY to emails we send, not that we have to wonder if you are even getting them, only to follow up with a phone call to your voice mail for which you do not reply.

If you wish to conduct your business this way then do us all a favor: DO NOT ask us to possess excellent verbal and written communication skills when you people could learn a thing or TEN about customer-service, effective and appropriate business communications, time management and more. Stop being hypocrites and playing with other people's lives and livelihoods.

You all make us sick, and we all know exactly how you all operate. ALL OF YOU. Dont even give us crap like "well, dont let one bad experience spoil the entire bunch..." Bulls***. You ALL operate like that and you know it, enjoy it, and brag about it.

I left the "other side" because I had more than my share of lying to people and couldnt sleep anymore. I'd rather be unemployed than deceive.

One day, and one day REAL SOON, your entire industry will be turned on its head and exposed for the general fraud that it is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Deceived & Cheated Out of Wasted Time in Atlanta, Georgia

100 months ago

Absolutely, whether you are talking about Lucas Group, Forrer USA, GES Network, Robert Half, Ajilon, Account Temps, K-Force, BartRoberson, Account Pros, Cercadian, REMX, Intersect, Invesearch, Spenser, and Spherion; they are all the same. They email you, then they discuss with you on the phone, then they get your resume, place it in their resume bank, tell you there are some new opportunities that you are a perfect fit for, and then you never hear from them again. They ignore your telephone calls and your emails. Don't ever place your resume on monster.com and career builder and make it available for recruiters to see because they will do nothing but waste your time. Never agree to an interview with them only because it will do nothing but waste your time; if they insist, then move on because the fact that you interview with them does not count towards getting you a job. If you do get a job, do not tell them where you are going because they want to get business from you. My feeling is that the only recruiter that I will use in hiring staff is the one that got me the job in the first place. Also, ask these recruiters [if you must deal with them] for their resumes and you will find that most of them are losers that have no understanding of the jobs they are trying to place.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Cecil in Heath, Ohio

100 months ago

it's sad all these strong criticisms of people none of you even know. all recruiters are not the same, in fact, most i know personally are really good people. i'm not going to sit and argue for the rest of my life, but i will state once again that:
a: recruiters are placing a lot of people in great jobs, otherwise it wouldn't be a huge and growing industry.
b: i tell 100% of the people i meet with that i don't place more than 10% of those who meet me. this is plain and honest.
c: if you have had bad experiences, you really didn't lose anything besides a little bit of time. if you paid a recruiter money, you are a dumbass. otherwise, it's strange how critical people are of a free service.
d:look in the mirror if you don't have the job you want.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Deceived & Cheated Out of Wasted Time in Atlanta, Georgia

100 months ago

Cecil in Heath, Ohio said: it's sad all these strong criticisms of people none of you even know. all recruiters are not the same, in fact, most i know personally are really good people. i'm not going to sit and argue for the rest of my life, but i will state once again that:
a: recruiters are placing a lot of people in great jobs, otherwise it wouldn't be a huge and growing industry.
b: i tell 100% of the people i meet with that i don't place more than 10% of those who meet me. this is plain and honest.
c: if you have had bad experiences, you really didn't lose anything besides a little bit of time. if you paid a recruiter money, you are a dumbass. otherwise, it's strange how critical people are of a free service.

Cecil, that's the point - by wasting my time recruiters are wasting money. As a recruiter I don't expect you to understand this - time is money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Do your own legwork lazy recruiters! in Denver, Colorado

99 months ago

Deceived & Cheated Out of Wasted Time in Atlanta, Georgia said: Cecil, that's the point - by wasting my time recruiters are wasting money. As a recruiter I don't expect you to understand this - time is money.

STOP WASTING OUR TIME! Our time is worth $$$ money, bimbo! Recruiters just want to sit on their BUTTS collecting resumes and calling our past employers!

Do YOUR OWN leg work!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Richard Diaz in Wesley Chapel, Florida

99 months ago

Do your own legwork lazy recruiters! in Denver, Colorado said: STOP WASTING OUR TIME! Our time is worth $$$ money, bimbo! Recruiters just want to sit on their BUTTS collecting resumes and calling our past employers!

Do YOUR OWN leg work!!

I agree with that! Recruiters would rather pick off names and numbers from a job seeker's past employers rather than cold call companies and get hung up on all day. That's why they are so eager to have job seeker interview them in the first place.

The scammers pull the info off the application, tell the poor job applicant how wonderful his/her resume looks etc, then ignore all phone calls and e-mails from the applicant. True scummers.

BOTTOM FEEDERS!
Accreditive Solutions/Dickson Allen
Robert Half/Accountemps
Spherion
And the list goes on.........

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Emmerson in Salem, Oregon

99 months ago

Hey Cecil, am I perfect?

Degree from top-20 engineering school
10 years @ #2 semiconductor company
Flawless performance reviews all 10 years
Experience at five different and overlapping positions there during late-90' crash

I have my info on 10 job boards. Three recruiter calls, no action. No face-to-face interviews except the ones I got myself.

Nine times out of ten I can figure out the company by the position description. I could go behind their backs, but that's not me. Well, for now anyway...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cherri Perry

99 months ago

Deceived & Cheated Out of Wasted Time in Atlanta, Georgia said: Cecil, that's the point - by wasting my time recruiters are wasting money. As a recruiter I don't expect you to understand this - time is money.

My experience is in Social Services with the homeless population, 8 yrs. I'm tired of Social Services. My degree is in Sociology and I want to explore other options in Human Resources or working with elderly. Most places I apply won't train. They want experience in Human Resources. If I've never worked in Human Resources, how can I get experience?

Cherri Perry

99 months ago

Cecil in Heath, Ohio said: it's sad all these strong criticisms of people none of you even know. all recruiters are not the same, in fact, most i know personally are really good people. i'm not going to sit and argue for the rest of my life, but i will state once again that:

Cecil,
How do I get a job in Recruitment if I don't have recruitment experience?

Cheated Out of Wasted Time

99 months ago

I'll bet Cecil doesn't even have a degree. . . Recruiters have such high turnover because they are such scum

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.