Does not consider employees

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (32)

ANONYMOUS in Jacksonville, Florida

84 months ago

KEN in Indianapolis, Indiana said: Kim in Brooklyn, New York,

I agree with you one hundred percent.

I use to work as a security site supervisor at National Starch almost five years for several security companies.
Turner Security (2001-2004) and Spartan Security (2004-2006) were both good companies and when I needed some advice and help, both security companies will offer to help me out. I had a crew of twenty three employees.

But with Allied Barton (February-August 2006) the management did not care about the employees at all. A week before Allied Barton took over the facility, they forced every guard to go to orientation class that was held on first shift. Several of my employees lost a days pay due to going to the 'stupid' orientation class, and Allied Barton wanted to cut the staff from twenty three to twenty employees, which was a bonehead move.
Allied Barton was the worst security company I have ever worked for. When I needed some help to cover the shifts, or if I need some advice, Allied Barton management totally ingore me. They never done anything to improve the quality of the security department, and it was so bad that a lot of people decided to quit due to the Allied Barton's demand.

The week that I was let go, there I had a staff of seventeen people covering 760 weekly hours, and that was to demanding.
I called for them to send more people, and Allied ignored me. And when a employee was a no-call no-show a co-worker and myself had to cover the shift, the co-worker had to leave at noon to go to another job, I was short one guard for four hours. Three days later Allied Barton management let me go, due to their not caring about the guards health, and working conditions. At least I receive five months unemployment due to Allied's screw ups.

Take it from me, do not apply at Allied Barton. You will be sorry if you did.

KIM IS RIGHT, GOOD SHE GOT UNEMPLOYMENT, THAT IS USUALLY A BIG NO NO BECAUSE THEY ARE TOO CHEAP TO PAY !!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (49) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

82 months ago

I agree. I went to work a few weeks ago to find out that I was no longer at that site. I wish we had a union. When they take you off a site you have to call an Acct Mgr or the main office in order to find another site to go to and its a pain the behind.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

chris wolf in Paoli, Pennsylvania

82 months ago

The problem in low pay isn't Allied; the contracting company pays a wage and Allied takes a percentage of it. When I worked for them, the contracting company paid $14 and Allied took out $4 so I got paid $10. Even though Allied took out a decent amount, companies should pay at least $20 for security.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

deathbycute in champaign, Illinois

81 months ago

it really does svck. both my husband and i work for allied. it is alright. we had some problems that we ended up solving and it was okay. they had some supervisor problems and all my husband's co-workers thought that he would make a good supervisor. there was an opening and he didn't get it. instead they hired a guy from a different site that got fired from his previous site for not showing up for work. 5 days after the new supervisor was hired he decides that the workload is too much. the field supervisor gets all pissed that he has to find a new supervisor and threatens the whole site's jobs.

my husband has been through 3 supervisors in the last year...one lasting 5 days (missing two of those days), one lasted 8 months, and one lasting 8 or 9 months.

and here is my husband, twittleing his thumbs and saying that he could take the workload. he called off twice since being hired in 2006, requested 2 days off and only got one, and holds the record for most caught wrong seals on trucks and the record for checking out a truck.

my advise is keep on trucking if you are still with the company. find out who's ahead of the person or people who is giving you problems. if they don't do anything about it, go above them. we had to call the district manager to get our problem solved....and it's not even really solved yet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Snotjello in Saint Louis, Missouri

73 months ago

Snotjello in Missouri said: I just had to call in sick for tonight's shift...

OK, that wasn't exactly the most effective illustration, but I was sick when I typed it. Regardless, Allied Barton has a reputation for treating their employess like dirt.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

MRClueuin in Brooklyn, New York

62 months ago

Thanks for your comments guys. I am currently looking to change my career in Customer Service for a career in Security. I've been in this site for a couple of weeks and I have found it quite informative.
(Even on a couple of companies I wasn't looking into.)
If you can, please tell me of any good companies to work for in the Security Guard industry.
Thanks again,
Clueuin
P.S F.Y.I Apropo of nothing I would like to return the favor. Never, never, no matter your situation or career choice in life, never work for Madison Worldwide they are rip-off artist to their employees and their customers.
Peace
c.l.u.n

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Brenda McGee

61 months ago

kim in Brooklyn, New York said: I use to work for them for about 2 years trust me it is not all it is cracked up to be .They expect to much from you and they don't like to give raises when I asked for one they switch my site and Tried to pay me less.So I quit not only that when first apply you think this a good company but after a few months you well be dying to find another job they are very unorganized and cheap especially with good workers they expect to much overtime from you the minute you say you can't do it is when things star to change.

Brenda McGee from Chicago, Illinois. I am sorry that you feel that Allied Barton is less than what you expected. I strongly disagree with your assessment of Allied Barton for the following reasons. I joined Allied in October of 1995, and chose to work for Allied Security because of it's committment to the community, employees, and the purpose for which it exists. Allied, now Allied Barton has one goal in mind which is uncompromised service to our clients. I have served in many capacities to include Security Officer, Site Supervisor @ 3 locations, Field Supervisor 8 years, and now a Floater. I have never forgotten the Team concept which has brought our company to where it is today. It also holds true that everything is not for everybody. I have seen Officers come and go due to that fact that they had the wrong expectations in mind. It's not all about "you" respectfully. It's about "us" as a company. Allied has helped me to put my child through college, pay down my mortage, and has supported me during difficult times. Sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay, but, I am here to stay until the day comes when I'm told my services are no longer needed. And if ever that day arrives, then I will still say, " Thank you for what you've given me."
To your success.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (56) Reply - Report abuse

jayden in Birmingham, Alabama

51 months ago

Brenda McGee said: Brenda McGee from Chicago, Illinois. I am sorry that you feel that Allied Barton is less than what you expected. I strongly disagree with your assessment of Allied Barton for the following reasons. I joined Allied in October of 1995, and chose to work for Allied Security because of it's committment to the community, employees, and the purpose for which it exists. Allied, now Allied Barton has one goal in mind which is uncompromised service to our clients. I have served in many capacities to include Security Officer, Site Supervisor @ 3 locations, Field Supervisor 8 years, and now a Floater. I have never forgotten the Team concept which has brought our company to where it is today. It also holds true that everything is not for everybody. I have seen Officers come and go due to that fact that they had the wrong expectations in mind. It's not all about "you" respectfully. It's about "us" as a company. Allied has helped me to put my child through college, pay down my mortage, and has supported me during difficult times. Sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay, but, I am here to stay until the day comes when I'm told my services are no longer needed. And if ever that day arrives, then I will still say, " Thank you for what you've given me."
To your success.

Brenda...I agree with you...I just have a very difficult time believing that many of these people were treated unfairly. The first thing that comes to my mind is that they entered this job with high expectations....expectations that were obviously UNREASONABLE!!!! Instead of doing the job they were told...they went into the job with too much aggression and a personal vendetta. These are the kinds of people I used to have deal with when I was a store manager in retail. They are the ones that are ONLY on the job for a paycheck. They don't have their heart or soul into what they are doing. Like I said...I don't agree with their responses or attitudes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (31) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Phoenix, Arizona

51 months ago

Our Contract with a specific Utilities co. had ended. AlliedBarton won the bid. All the guards had a very stressful month of June. The waiting if we are going to make the transition to Allied is a killer. Just not knowing if you will keep your job, or try and find another. So, my current company, Anderson required that all the employee's submit their two week notice of separation in order to keep there pay scale on their last paycheck, and make the transition to Allied. So I did. As of 6-9-10, I submitted my two-week notice. I contacted Allied to ask how we can be sure we made the transition before we put in our two-week notice, so that if Allied decides not to take us, at least we will still have a job with Anderson. The representative told me that no notices will be given that tells you you keep your job. She told me that no news is good news. So today, Exactly 1 week before the transition to Allied, I get a phone call from an HR person in Allied. The person told me I wont have a position within Allied because I had worked for them in the past, and walked out on a job because my father had a heart attack, so I left to Tucson to take care of him. Allied said that I had abandoned my job. I guess I did, but for a job that paid $8 an hour, I wasn't concerned about it over my father's heart attack. That was 5 years ago. So not only has Allied taken a job from me that I have been at for 3 years, but had me quit my current employer to do so. Shame on you Allied!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

sebastiandolce@hotmail.com in Elk Grove Village, Illinois

27 months ago

I know that I am more educated and experienced in matters of seurity.I have a duoble major and double minors & 12 hours short of a masters.Additionally I am a retired officer of the 1st Cavalary serving for ovwr 4 yrs as Operations Officer S-3 with a Top Secret Crypto Clearence and over 30 years business experience. due to the DEPRESSISSON I can no longer work in my profession and have had to take this demining job as a security officer for 10.50 per hour. I took the job only if the site manager agreed to give me 40 Hours per week.This has never happened the most I have ever worked is 27 hours in one week. Because I do not have the computer skills they need and they refuse to teach me the necessary skills. I am looking for other work after more than a year working for this Co. without a raise.For warned is for armed. Look elsewhere.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Imnasty in Cranbury, New Jersey

27 months ago

sebastiandolce@hotmail.com in Elk Grove Village, Illinois said: I know that I am more educated and experienced in matters of seurity.I have a duoble major and double minors & 12 hours short of a masters.Additionally I am a retired officer of the 1st Cavalary serving for ovwr 4 yrs as Operations Officer S-3 with a Top Secret Crypto Clearence and over 30 years business experience. due to the DEPRESSISSON I can no longer work in my profession and have had to take this demining job as a security officer for 10.50 per hour. I took the job only if the site manager agreed to give me 40 Hours per week.This has never happened the most I have ever worked is 27 hours in one week. Because I do not have the computer skills they need and they refuse to teach me the necessary skills. I am looking for other work after more than a year working for this Co. without a raise.For warned is for armed. Look elsewhere.

Get a Armed position with a military contracting company that requires a Secret clearance, you'll get big time benefits and a 40 hour work week, and you'll be around your guys again (Service) employees.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

SigintAD in Springfield, Oregon

23 months ago

anonymous in Phoenix, Arizona said: ...I get a phone call from an HR person in Allied. The person told me I wont have a position within Allied because I had worked for them in the past, and walked out on a job because my father had a heart attack, so I left to Tucson to take care of him. Allied said that I had abandoned my job. I guess I did, but for a job that paid $8 an hour, I wasn't concerned about it over my father's heart attack. That was 5 years ago. So not only has Allied taken a job from me that I have been at for 3 years, but had me quit my current employer to do so. Shame on you Allied!!!

If you abandoned your job, why would they want to hire you back? I have worked for AlliedBarton for almost nine years now. I have worked my way up from part-time security officer to full-time, to Site Supervisor, to Operations Manager, and I manage a fairly large portfolio, so I am responsible for hiring and firing. When someone quits with no notice, by policy, AlliedBarton marks them as ineligible for rehire in the HR database. When someone quits with no notice we incur massive costs and actually lose a lot of money for the next couple of weeks until we can recruit and onboard a replacement. Job abandonment is unprofessional and shows contempt for your employer. So, why would they want to bring you back after that? Employment is a give and take relationship. If you expect them to give to you, you must also give to them. It sounds like in this case you were unwilling to give them at least a courtesy call to explain your situaiton and your need to leave. Actions have consequences. They probably would have worked something out if you asked. I've accepted notice before and simply not scheduled the person for two weeks because they had to take care of a similar emergency. That allowed him to do what he needed, and a year later when he wanted to come back, he had good standing with the company. AlliedBarton has been fair to me and my employees

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Just a good worker in Midvale, Utah

22 months ago

The AB management is extremely enept. Our area manager is disliked very much by our customer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Officer On Site in Nowhere, Ohio

20 months ago

Wow- that's rich...
I was a Site Supervisor for a large building in a metro part of Ohio.
When I was on vacation, my immediate supervisor called me and told me that we had just lost the account to a competitor- no warning- no heads-up- just lost the account.
So suddenly I am 'laid off' pending them finding me another posting.
It takes 2 weeks- which I was not paid for- and they find me another post- but just as an Officer- and with a $4.00/hr pay cut. Real Nice.
So- I take it of course, in this economy a job is a job...
and the post they put me on is EVERY bit as bad as described by the others in this link.
It was a revolving door of employees hired and fired for little or no reason with little or no qualifications. The management went through multiple employees, supervisors changed almost monthly, with no 'real' guidance.
Worse the make up of the personnel on the shifts were VERY sexually discriminatory. First shift- when the client was actually in the building- was comprised entirely of pretty young 20-something year old women, Second shift was a mix of women and men, but mostly average women and normal men, and Third shift was entirely older men. Most of the men were the 'real' professionals in the field.
All were treated badly. I finally had enough, and when the first shift supervisor (20 years old, attractive, female) began a very open affair with the married older account manager, I complained to HR. What it got me was transferred to another account citing dubious reasoning.
Now posted at that other account- Same Money, MORE responsibility, and horrendous hours.
WHEN I FIND ANOTHER JOB- I intend to give AlliedBarton all the courtesy they provided me-
that is NONE. I will simply walk off the job and NEVER look back.

STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY IF YOU ARE A SECURITY PROFESSIONAL- YOU ARE ONLY A COG IN THE WHEEL TO THEM, NOTHING MORE, AND THEY WILL TREAT YOU ACCORDINGLY.

You have been warned!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No Reply - Report abuse

20 months ago

Yea I hear you. I've been lucky enough to find a job as a municipal security guard for the city. Its a fun job, I like it but its only part time. I've been there two years as of today.

I remember the days working for Anderson Security. WOW. They treated the new employees better and gave them the hours, while the ones that have been there for years were seeing a decline in hours. The new guys were making significantly less money per hour, and that was Anderson's plan. They start their new people off at a buck above minimum wage until they passed probation, then they were bumped up to regular site pay. They took advantage of how the crummy economy was/is and the abundance of warm bodies. That's all we are to them, warm bodies. This is the problem with private security. The security companies cared nothing for employees and everything for money. I think their Moto should be ;"today's job could be tomorrows unemployment opportunity". Its just sick and sad living with that thought while working for Allied Barton, Anderson, Bolt, yada yada yada... Then here's a thought, I heard most companies are now switching to in-house security. So, dont give up! Ditch the contract/private security companies and start looking for something in-house.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anonomyous in Burlington, Massachusetts

19 months ago

I have worked for this company for almost 2 years now. In massachusetts we have to have health insurance and prove it when filing taxes. The insurance Allied offers is SO poor Massachusetts doesnt even consider it as legitamate health insurance plan. I was working two sites and there was a pay difference. I realized I was being screwed because the area manager was paying me the lower rate for most hrs and overtime. I cant even tell you the fight I had correcting that issue. My wife works here part time as well. She had the same pay issue and was told by the area manager basically sorry sucks to be you we arnt fixing it. She had to call corporate and threaten calling the labor board to get the money. In 2 years not even an offer of a raise. By the way, I recently found out the people that clean the toilets make more money than Allied pays us. Sad considering I have a security clearence and work in a cleared facility. They arnt even citizens and I have to escort them and guard millions of dollars in classified material, but even thier company pays them better! This is not the fault of the customer at all. They are the only reason any of us stays! Oh and one last thing watch out for is the roaming gaurds that stop in to check on you. One of our guards spilled a little something on his shirt while eating lunch and was written up for having a stain on his shirt, not the site supervisors fault the area manager made her do it. They will even make you show them your socks to make sure they are the correct color. I could go on and on about the issues I have with this company. ONLY good thing is while I was in school it was an easy few dollars and I got to study a lot. Im leaving in a few weeks now and Im posting this to warn potential employees to STAY AWAY! Goto burger king youll be treated better and probably make more money! Im only posting this as anonomouys now, but a similar letter will be going to corporate as well, with my name on it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anonomyous in Burlington, Massachusetts

19 months ago

jayden in Birmingham, Alabama said: Brenda...I agree with you...I just have a very difficult time believing that many of these people were treated unfairly. The first thing that comes to my mind is that they entered this job with high expectations....expectations that were obviously UNREASONABLE!!!! Instead of doing the job they were told...they went into the job with too much aggression and a personal vendetta. These are the kinds of people I used to have deal with when I was a store manager in retail. They are the ones that are ONLY on the job for a paycheck. They don't have their heart or soul into what they are doing. Like I said...I don't agree with their responses or attitudes.

High expectations? If you consider expcting to be treated better than I was when I was 16 and working at fast food places high expectation then you are correct. Oh and by the way I was making MORE money 20 years ago at mcdonalds. I hope it is only my area that treats the emplyees terrible. Maybe those of you that are happy there are lucky and have great area and district managers. I can tell you ours dont care at all about any of us. In fact they cut the site pay here by almost a dollar, nice way to say thank you. I never wish bad things on anyone and I pray that corporate gets thier act together. Honestly I hope a better company that takes care or thier employees starts taking accounts from them

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

19 months ago

Anonomyous in Burlington, Massachusetts said: High expectations? If you consider expcting to be treated better than I was when I was 16 and working at fast food places high expectation then you are correct. Oh and by the way I was making MORE money 20 years ago at mcdonalds. I hope it is only my area that treats the emplyees terrible. Maybe those of you that are happy there are lucky and have great area and district managers. I can tell you ours dont care at all about any of us. In fact they cut the site pay here by almost a dollar, nice way to say thank you. I never wish bad things on anyone and I pray that corporate gets thier act together. Honestly I hope a better company that takes care or thier employees starts taking accounts from them

Jayden in Birmingham feels as though we should have our heart and soul into a job that obviously doesn't give two cents about the employees. We are always told to be loyal to our jobs because our jobs are loyal to us. Its just not that way anymore. Our employers expect loyalty but offer non in return. They just want to use you and abuse you. Then they toss us out for lack of usage. We are in essence, disposable lighters. Wait until Obama care goes into effect. Some companies have even started testing their model plans out; this will happen due to the federal requirements. Companies are now taking their full time employees and cutting hours in order to not have to provide health insurance coverage. THEN, then the employee is now part time. The company saves money on not having to provide health insurance, vacation, sick leave and pto. We will then be considered a nation of part timers. We will all have two or three part time jobs to offset that full time job we once had. But wait!! We will still be required to provide our own health insurance. A double whammy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

John

18 months ago

jayden in Birmingham, Alabama said: Brenda...I agree with you...I just have a very difficult time believing that many of these people were treated unfairly. The first thing that comes to my mind is that they entered this job with high expectations....expectations that were obviously UNREASONABLE!!!! Instead of doing the job they were told...they went into the job with too much aggression and a personal vendetta. These are the kinds of people I used to have deal with when I was a store manager in retail. They are the ones that are ONLY on the job for a paycheck. They don't have their heart or soul into what they are doing. Like I said...I don't agree with their responses or attitudes.

This may be true, but many security guards are doing security not because we care about security but get paid to enjoy the downtime to do study or play on ones laptop. I love to get paid just to do my own thing and if people are retarded enough to throw money at me to do it, why work retail or fast foods where you work like a slave for the same or worse pay when you can just 'retire' on the job, where your only job is to merely show up?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

brandon in Wilmington, Delaware

17 months ago

You have no clue in the least how security is treated do you? While some like Brenda might get a decent experience for the most part security guards, and I mean this for most security companies, get treated like little more than bodies. Poor training, mostly bad pay (depends on the site and honestly isn’t necessarily the security companies fault but it’s still there), screw-ups on paychecks, management that will let the client pretty much treat you however they want as long as they aren’t doing anything illegal or dangerous, and no real benefits. That’s just the stuff off the top of my head. And keep in mind I was a manager for multiple sites who liked his job and did what I could to fix most of that but that’s the name of the game.

While every job has its downsides security guards, with exceptions of course, really get a raw deal

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

J in Phoenix, Arizona

17 months ago

Hey Brandon, I have to agree with you 100%. I've worked security for, going on, 7 years now. I worked at one point, for Arizona Protection Services. The client got away with sooo much. Abusing the guard. I was told to take out trash cans, wash windows and even do yard work! It was so bad. My boss, man he was a piece of work. We do get the raw deal. That's for sure.

8th man in Conway, South Carolina

11 months ago

Brenda McGee said: Brenda McGee from Chicago, Illinois. I am sorry that you feel that Allied Barton is less than what you expected. I strongly disagree with your assessment of Allied Barton for the following reasons. I joined Allied in October of 1995, and chose to work for Allied Security because of it's committment to the community , employees, and the purpose for which it exists. Allied, now Allied Barton has one goal in mind which is uncompromised service to our clients. I have served in many capacities to include Security Officer, Site Supervisor @ 3 locations, Field Supervisor 8 years, and now a Floater. I have never forgotten the Team concept which has brought our company to where it is today. It also holds true that everything is not for everybody. I have seen Officers come and go due to that fact that they had the wrong expectations in mind. It's not all about "you" respectfully. It's about "us" as a company. Allied has helped me to put my child through college , pay down my mortage, and has supported me during difficult times. Sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay, but, I am here to stay until the day comes when I'm told my services are no longer needed. And if ever that day arrives, then I will still say, " Thank you for what you've given me."
To your success.

So what is it about you, allied-barton managment likes you better, compard to all , of the other security officers? I understand team concept, and I did my job, to it's full extent. And I didn't get treated any better than all of the other gold bricks, and panty wastes that I was forced to work with.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

11 months ago

SigintAD in Springfield, Oregon said: If you abandoned your job, why would they want to hire you back? I have worked for AlliedBarton for almost nine years now. I have worked my way up from part-time security officer to full-time, to Site Supervisor, to Operations Manager, and I manage a fairly large portfolio, so I am responsible for hiring and firing. When someone quits with no notice, by policy, AlliedBarton marks them as ineligible for rehire in the HR database . When someone quits with no notice we incur massive costs and actually lose a lot of money for the next couple of weeks until we can recruit and onboard a replacement. Job abandonment is unprofessional and shows contempt for your employer. So, why would they want to bring you back after that? Employment is a give and take relationship. If you expect them to give to you, you must also give to them. It sounds like in this case you were unwilling to give them at least a courtesy call to explain your situaiton and your need to leave. Actions have consequences. They probably would have worked something out if you asked. I've accepted notice before and simply not scheduled the person for two weeks because they had to take care of a similar emergency. That allowed him to do what he needed, and a year later when he wanted to come back, he had good standing with the company. AlliedBarton has been fair to me and my employees

And what about the the bad consideration managment does to their officers? Taking them off the site without notice? Threaten you if you don't come in early or hold over, you'll get fired? It seems an officer can't make plans for his / her life that is outside they're work schedule? Yes abonding your post is wrong. But so is the wrong treatment one gets from managment. " Give and Take?" Yeah I get it, the officer gives, and the managment takes.

11 months ago

Imnasty in Cranbury, New Jersey said: Get a Armed position with a military contracting company that requires a Secret clearance, you'll get big time benefits and a 40 hour work week, and you'll be around your guys again (Service) employees.

But the supply and demand for those in scarce. Meaning High demand, low supply.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

11 months ago

John said: This may be true, but many security guards are doing security not because we care about security but get paid to enjoy the downtime to do study or play on ones laptop. I love to get paid just to do my own thing and if people are retarded enough to throw money at me to do it, why work retail or fast foods where you work like a slave for the same or worse pay when you can just 'retire' on the job, where your only job is to merely show up?

Enjoy it while you can. Because that cushy position normally doesn't last long. Then you'll find you're self, roughing it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

11 months ago

brandon in Wilmington, Delaware said: You have no clue in the least how security is treated do you? While some like Brenda might get a decent experience for the most part security guards, and I mean this for most security companies, get treated like little more than bodies. Poor training, mostly bad pay (depends on the site and honestly isn’t necessarily the security companies fault but it’s still there), screw-ups on paychecks, management that will let the client pretty much treat you however they want as long as they aren’t doing anything illegal or dangerous, and no real benefits. That’s just the stuff off the top of my head. And keep in mind I was a manager for multiple sites who liked his job and did what I could to fix most of that but that’s the name of the game.

While every job has its downsides security guards, with exceptions of course, really get a raw deal

YEAH. The quality officers that is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Sismcgee in Villa Park, Illinois

11 months ago

You guys that feel that they are being mistreated by management need to document each incident to include dates, times, inappropriate comments, and any witnesses.
I started out as a Security Officer, and moved up the ranks by working diligently, treating all Security Professional's and each Client in a fair,respectful and courteous fashion. There are rewards for being fair, and pleasant.
The key is to avoid gossip. Always avoid rumors which I found to be the primary cause of peace breaking within most security companies. I learned that Managers who are arrogant, disrespectful and forceful eventually pay the ultimate price. Managers are in their positions to ensure that operations are ran as smoothly, with as few problems as possible. They do not have the ability to fire anyone, they can only reccomend disciplinary actions. the final decisions are made by upper Management such as District, or Regional Managers who must answer to EEOC, Employment Security, Unions, and other agencies that protect the rights of employees. If you are being treated unfairly, being harassed, threatened, or forced to work under hostile conditions file a complaint against that manager. It is unlawful for the manager whom the complaint is made against or the company to retaliate during or after the investigation. A well trained manager will avoid any conduct that is unbecoming to the company of which he or she represents; and are fully aware that complaints filed are costly. To bring in company attorney's, and pull files begins at or near $20,000. The key to my success was to do more listening than talking and when I did speak I did so on a positive well thought through note. Employment is a blessing, especially now when the economy is weak. In my opinion, Security Officers are the foundation of successful security operations. If they are treated with respect, paid, and relieved on time they will bend over backwards to support their company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sismcgee in Villa Park, Illinois

11 months ago

8th man in Conway, South Carolina said: So what is it about you, allied-barton managment likes you better, compard to all , of the other security officers? I understand team concept, and I did my job, to it's full extent. And I didn't get treated any better than all of the other gold bricks, and panty wastes that I was forced to work with.

Nobody is forced to stay where they are uncomfortable. You can't join, and run a company the way you feel is best. If I were unhappy or dissatisfied on any job, I would seek out another location and move on. Where ever you land, the most important thing that you can do is to try to work with other's or start your own business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dsoles4@gmail.com

11 months ago

I remember the time I applied for a position with this company and I was very qualified with my military back ground and years of experience with other security companies . I applied with a great attitude going in but when I sat down for the interview I felt that I was being judged highly on my appearance more so then for my knowledge .Was out of work for a few months and couldn't afford shoes and I was told in a very rude way that I should have worn black shoes instead of sneakers and right the and there my confidence level dropped . I'm glad that moron didn't hire me because I'm at a great security company that judge you no your performance rather then your race and a pair of sneakers. Now I am in a higher possion because of my professionalism for company I work for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Overland Park, Kansas

6 months ago

ANONYMOUS in Jacksonville, Florida said: KIM IS RIGHT, GOOD SHE GOT UNEMPLOYMENT, THAT IS USUALLY A BIG NO NO BECAUSE THEY ARE TOO CHEAP TO PAY !!!

Totally agree here in Overland Park, KS Allied took Sprint contract from Securitas. We transitioned over and NO SUPPORT from any management. They dont care about employee, families or vets.

Shelly, Kevin Gilgour are two of the most disgraceful people I have ever met. They are over the Overland Park branch office. They steal from contracts and cusion their pockets and treat the guards like sub human robots.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

spencerforhire in Palmyra, Pennsylvania

3 months ago

Brenda McGee said: Brenda McGee from Chicago, Illinois. I am sorry that you feel that Allied Barton is less than what you expected. I strongly disagree with your assessment of Allied Barton for the following reasons. I joined Allied in October of 1995, and chose to work for Allied Security because of it's committment to the community , employees, and the purpose for which it exists. Allied, now Allied Barton has one goal in mind which is uncompromised service to our clients. I have served in many capacities to include Security Officer, Site Supervisor @ 3 locations, Field Supervisor 8 years, and now a Floater. I have never forgotten the Team concept which has brought our company to where it is today. It also holds true that everything is not for everybody. I have seen Officers come and go due to that fact that they had the wrong expectations in mind. It's not all about "you" respectfully. It's about "us" as a company. Allied has helped me to put my child through college , pay down my mortage, and has supported me during difficult times. Sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay, but, I am here to stay until the day comes when I'm told my services are no longer needed. And if ever that day arrives, then I will still say, " Thank you for what you've given me."
To your success.

You obviously work for AlliedBarton, and nothing you say can be trusted. I know from personal experience that AlliedBarton cares nothing about its employees. I have epilepsy and suffered a seizure shortly before I was due to report for my shift. When I recovered I STILL went to work, because I KNEW I would be penalized for having a disability. As it turns out, I was written up for being late, even though I have no control over when I have seizures. They haven't heard the last of this. Same heartless Corporate doublespeak one would expect from this company, where employees are expendable.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Dymphna in Land of Tea, Mexico

1 month ago

SigintAD in Springfield, Oregon said: If you abandoned your job, why would they want to hire you back? I have worked for AlliedBarton for almost nine years now. I have worked my way up from part-time security officer to full-time, to Site Supervisor, to Operations Manager, and I manage a fairly large portfolio, so I am responsible for hiring and firing. When someone quits with no notice, by policy, AlliedBarton marks them as ineligible for rehire in the HR database . When someone quits with no notice we incur massive costs and actually lose a lot of money for the next couple of weeks until we can recruit and onboard a replacement. Job abandonment is unprofessional and shows contempt for your employer. So, why would they want to bring you back after that? Employment is a give and take relationship. If you expect them to give to you, you must also give to them. It sounds like in this case you were unwilling to give them at least a courtesy call to explain your situaiton and your need to leave. Actions have consequences. They probably would have worked something out if you asked. I've accepted notice before and simply not scheduled the person for two weeks because they had to take care of a similar emergency. That allowed him to do what he needed, and a year later when he wanted to come back, he had good standing with the company. AlliedBarton has been fair to me and my employees

They DO hire back employees who did not work their notice...surprised they haven't resorted to hiring dead folks yet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.