What's the company culture at Amazon.com?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Host

Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Amazon.com?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Amazon.com?

Reply - Report abuse

Pam Bruce in Phoenix, Arizona

93 months ago

Amazon.com fulfillment center has the most inhumane working conditions I have ever experienced in my life. Long hours, low wages. We walk 4 minutes to be able to sit down for 7 minutes to turn around and walk 4 minutes back to our work location. That means we work 5 and a half hours with a 7 minute break. There is no air circulating in what was described as "air-conditioned" when we took the job. The managers don't care about anything but bodies performing manual labor. Period! Oh, and bodies that don't get hurt because they don't want law suits. Not because they care about human beings, they just don't want law suits. The people I work with want jobs but they don't want to be treated like animals. Amazon.com treats people like animals.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (174) / No (47) Reply - Report abuse

Pent-up in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania

42 months ago

[QUOTE]Amazon.com treats people like animals.

Indeed. As a stower, I know what you mean. People have been written up for making a mistake while doing a NEW job they were JUST trained for, while the training was only 30 minutes. Some got NO training. All that's cared about is rate rate rate rate rate. Not quality. They say quality, but it's unrealistic at the rate they want from us. It's hard, as a stower, to get that rate when there is either no bin space, or having to take EVERY kart to a problem solver, or you need to walk all the way to smalls/mediums to stow a mixed tote. Forget trying to mention those problems, or mentioning that you were doing a special task or doing a problem solve kart, because management doesn't take it into real account. One manager says you can/have to do one thing. Another says otherwise, and no matter which one you listen to, you'll get in trouble by the other one. There's no real communication.

And as far as I know, there are no sick days. You have to use personal time, but in order to get a whole day off of personal time, you need to schedule it a day ahead. Who can schedule when they will be sick a day in advance? All you can do then is go to work and try to make it till lunch, so you can get 1/2 day personal, but sickness kills your rate, and they don't care. Still gotta make rate.

I got written up for having an 85% rate. That is GOOD. They TOLD me that a while ago. I got written up because, despite being 85%, I was in the bottom 10% of the shift. So what? The others did better, but I still hit my mark. I could do better, but I was told 85% was good. If I got a 200%, and the rest all got 201% or more, I'd get written up for being in the bottom 10%. When I inquired about why the others' rates being better made mine worthy of a write up, I was told "It's a dog eat dog world here", when they like to keep telling us about "teamwork". What teamwork is there in that? BS!

/necessary rant before I blow it at work

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (91) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Rosewolf in Loyalton, California

24 months ago

I want to amend my last comment: I trained and am now working my first week as a "picker" at the warehouse in Fernley, Nevada. I echo the comments of other posters. I wonder if we shouldn't try to organize the workers or perhaps start a campaign to educate Amazon customers towards refusing to buy from Amazon until they improve their labor practices ???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Scared in West Columbia, South Carolina

23 months ago

I have an interview in a few days to work at the FC in Cayce, SC. It's almost a brand new facility, maybe been there a year. Has anyone worked there/are you able to tell me how bad it will be? I also have tattoos on my arms, is that against company policy? From how it sounds, I might die of heat stroke if they make me wear long sleeves to cover up the tats. Also what is the company policy related to sexual orientation? Will I get fired for mentioning my boyfriend if that should come up?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

that one girl in Hermitage, Tennessee

23 months ago

Scared in West Columbia, South Carolina said: I have an interview in a few days to work at the FC in Cayce, SC. It's almost a brand new facility, maybe been there a year. Has anyone worked there/are you able to tell me how bad it will be? I also have tattoos on my arms, is that against company policy? From how it sounds, I might die of heat stroke if they make me wear long sleeves to cover up the tats. Also what is the company policy or delayed to sexual orientation? Will I get fired for mentioning my boyfriend if that should come up?

Hey! Amazon is very piercing and tat friendly. Many managers at my fc have tattoos. Full sleeves etc. you also have to remember that Amazon has our hq in Seattle. Very progressive city. Amazon also offers benefits to same sex partners. So you are good there. I obviously can't speak to your local managements culture but as a whole amazon is very lgbtq friendly. is based out of

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.